Alias SNUBBED at the 2005 SAG Nominations

After much anticipation, the nominations for the 2005 Screen Actors Guild Awards were announced this morning. The awards are known to be a precursor and often a predictor of what will take place at the Oscars and the Emmys.

This year, our beloved show Alias received zero award nominations. This, incredibly, mirrored numbers for Alias' first and second seasons. Alias was also recently snubbed during the announcement of the 2005 Golden Globe Awards. Jennifer Garner failed to be nominated for her work on Alias for the first time.

But, my fellow Alias lovers, do not dread a disappointing award count as Alias approaches its final days. The end-of-year type awards that have been announced (SAGs, Golden Globes, Sattelites, Saturns, etc.) take into account work that has been done in the past year of a show. Therefore, Alias will have one more chance to earn some much-deserved glory next year.

My predictions?

At this point, the majority believes that is in unlikely that Jennifer Garner will win anything for her final season on Alias, but I'm sure that will change as May approaches. Garner has been hailed by critics and audiences alike for nearly four and half seasons as CIA agent Sydney Bristow. With a Golden Globe already under her belt for the first season, don't look for the Globes to treat Jen again in 2006. But those Emmys... those unpredictable Emmys. It is my great belief that the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences will finally give Garner the gold. With a nomination every year along with strong critical appraise, it's her turn to take the top TV prize.

It won't be easy, however. When the nominations are announced for the 2005-2006 Emmy Awards (sometime next June), look for Garner to be among the names for "Best Actress in a TV Series - Drama" but up against some tough competition. Patricia Arquette has (perhaps wrongfully) received a huge amount of praise and attention for her work on NBC's "Medium." With a win last year at the Emmy's, she'll be back by default. Kyra Sedgewick is also turning heads playing a tough yet graceful criminal interrogator on the TNT summer hit "The Closer." She won't be ignored by the academy.

The final two spots could go to a number of leading ladies. Geena Davis as the first female president on "Commander in Chief" didn't draw a lot of critical acclaim, but after a nomination for a Golden Globe and a SAG Award, she is certainly in contention. "Grey's Anatomy" star Ellen Pompeo is mostly overshadowed by her supporting co-star Sandrah Oh, but as the show continues to gain momentum, so does she. With nominations the past two years as well as a SAG and Golden Globe nod this year, "Law and Order: SVU" star Mariska Hargitay probably has the greatest chance of filling one of the two remaining spots. The return of HBO awards-magnet "The Sopranos" brings Emmy giant Edie Falco back into play. However, Falco will be harmed by the show's long hiatus, lack of buzz surrounding the upcoming sixth season, and the introduction of new competition. Dark horses Polly Walker for HBO's "Rome," Alison Janey for "The West Wing," Ellen Burstyn for "The Book of Daniel" (depending on whether it is received more as comedy or drama), and Evangeline Lily for "Lost" all have a chance a snatching one of the Top five slots.

In sum, do not worry about this lackluster awards season for Alias. After its sure-to-be incredible return and finale in 2006, Alias will be back on all of the ballots-- including the Emmys, the Golden Globes, and the SAGs.

By the way, next weekend, be sure to see all of my 2006 Emmy predictions in the TV section of the forums!! :D

Back