All About Steve

Uh-oh, the movie is geting BAD reviews.
ohmy.gif

http://movie-critics...ke-bad-choices/
Sandra Bullock in 'All About Steve': When Good Actors Make Bad Choices
by Lisa Schwarzbaum
Sep 8 2009 06:12 PM ET

There's no need to linger over the awfulness of All About Steve – my review was short but to the point. (The movie was shot in 2007, before Bradley Cooper became famous as That Cute Guy from The Hangover;you know the title wasn't being kept on the shelf just so it could age like a fine wine.) But it's worth talking a bit about what might have led Sandra Bullock — who not only stars, but also produced the misbegotten comedy — to have miscalculated so badly about what kind of project best suits her abundant strengths.

I'd feel more comfortable talking about the popular Bullock brand ifit didn't suggest she was a Chiquita banana or a Kleenex tissue. But even without a logo or a copyright, a "Sandy Bullock woman" in a "Sandy Bullock movie" is easily identifiable to her many fans: She may start out looking a little drab (While You Were Sleeping), or rough around the edges (Miss Congeniality) or uptight (The Proposal). But when she cleans up, her eyes sparkle and she dares you not to love her.

And therein lies a problem — especially for female stars, and especially for female stars whose brand characteristic is youthful cuteness: Getting older is a bitch. I mean, it shouldn't be a bitch,and it doesn't have to be. But I can understand how it might scare the red go-go boots off an actress who has read the box office reports about audiences who love her best when she sticks to her giggle. I suspect Drew Barrymore can identify; certainly Meg Ryan knows what I mean. The irony is, our Miss Congeniality has it in her to be even more lovable, not to mention expand her range from the comic to the serious, in her ripe 40s and beyond. (You know where she was great, grown-up, and didn't rely on laughs at all? Crash.)

My theory is that All About Steve was the rom-com Sandy Bullock chose when she panicked, and her charming, old-fashioned rom-com The Proposal was the project she took with a clearer head about her talents.

What's your advice for this sunniest of girl-next-door stars?

Brad: "There's just something in her eyes when she's on top of me saying, 'I'm going to eat you like a lion,' that's so funny. :D

http://home.nzcity.c...px...m=newsmain,nrhl
Old-fashioned lover Bradley Cooper
Bradley Cooper - who is believed to be dating his 'Case 39' co-star Renee Zellweger – is an old romantic who has traditional views of love and romance.

9 September 2009

Bradley Cooper is an old romantic.

The Hollywood actor – who is rumoured to be dating his 'Case 39' co-star Renee Zellweger – gets his traditional take on love from his parents and their successful 46-year marriage.

He said: "The truth is, I got it first from my parents, who've been married since 1963.

"I grew up in a very old-fashioned Roman Catholic, Italian-Irish family in Philadelphia. Now my parents have evolved into completely different creatures, in terms of their marriage and the roles of the man and the woman. And I think that's great, but it's still romantic."

However, the 34-year-old hunk – who has been linked to a string of Hollywood beauties in recent years, including Jennifer Aniston and Cameron Diaz – struggled to understand the workings of a successful relationship when he was younger.

He said: "You figure out that you don't need to replicate what you see. In a relationship you treat people the way you want to be treated. And, you figure that out after sussing through all these ideas of how love is supposed to be."

Meanwhile, Bradley has admitted he wanted to "go a little further" with his 'All About Steve' co-star Sandra Bullock when they filmed the comedy's love scenes.

He explained to Parade magazine: "I don't feel cheated that Sandra Bullock kept most of her clothes on with me. At least we got sort of a love scene.

"There's just something in her eyes when she's on top of me saying, 'I'm going to eat you like a lion,' that's so funny. But I wouldn't have minded going a little further."

I thought I recognised the title - I came in this evening to find a picture of Brad on the telly (very rare over here), but the news is no better in the UK, if Jonathan Ross on Film 2010 is anything to go by:

"All About Steve isn't destined to turn up on lists of the worst films of our time, but only because it's unlikely enough people will see it to make it notorious. This is a car crash of a movie: exceptionally misjudged in just about every way imaginable. [...] a script which at times verges on the appalling: obvious, overly sentimental and finally borderline offensive. [...] All About Steve will be in cinemas from Friday. But not for long. Blink and you'll miss it. In which case, I'd blink."

Ouch.

I haven't seen the movie but I don't think it's gonna hurt Bradley Cooper much. Right now he's having the time of his life, he certainly came a long way from Alias (where I couldn't stand him) but now he looks so much better, getting much better parts etc..He changed for the good and now I like him.

Back