AllAlias Homework Help Center!

Status
Not open for further replies.
svfan4ever said:
Mandy...can't you look it up on the table??
[post="1027647"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
No, i KNOW francium is the most reactive metal, its just that i have to use the perioidic trends to explain why and electron affinity (a perioidic trend) is confusing me because i'm over thinking it. and the world of upside down chemistry really frustrates me! ;)
--Mandy :angelic:

O...I think I actually learned that...

That was so confusing...it took me like a week to get it...

And then I forgot it all after the test :lol:

Let's stay on topic. please. :P

Who is the most reactive metal? Non-metal? Use periodic table trends to explain your answers.

The most reactive metal is francium and the most reactive non-metal is fluorine.

Francium is the most reactive metal because as you go down a column and left in a row, the atomic radius increases. As you move down, there are more orbitals that are separating the valance shell from the atomic nucleus, allowing it to expand in size. As you move left, there are also fewer protons that are pulling in on the electrons in the valence orbital; there for the element with the biggest atomic radius is Francium. Due to the fact that Francium’s orbital is the largest out of all of the elements, the pull of its electron by its atomic nucleus is the weakest and therefore it has low ionization energy. This means that only a little bit of energy is required to remove an electron from the valence orbital of Francium; it reacts very easily. Finally, its position in the periodic table shows that it has the lowest electron affinity. Electron affinity increases as you go up and across a row, Francium’s “desire” for electron is the lowest and instead of gaining electrons its tend to “give away” its electrons very easily with very little amount of energy. Also, Francium has a half filled “s” orbital makes its desire to lose the electron even more since it does not have enough energy to pull one to it to fill the orbital.

Fluorine is the most reactive non-metal. As you move up and to the right side of the periodic table the atomic radius decreases. As you move vertically up a column there are less orbital than the one beneath and there are more protons to pull in the electrons as you move right on the periodic table. Its small atomic radius allows for a stronger hold on electrons which results high ionization energy. Its high electron affinity indicates that it requires a small amount of energy to form a negative ion, it’s “desire” for electrons are great, so it gains electron very easily. Fluorine also needs one electron to fill its “p” orbital and because of its high electron affinity, it has the energy to draw an electron to it and make it full.

Okay that's it. final version. Someone read it through and tell me if i have any wrong words anywhere?

Me? a good writer?! HAHAHAHAH :rotflmao: I got back my "rememberance Day" poem today for Writer's craft. I got 76! good writer? i think not!
--mandy :angelic:

:lol: that's not true either. I didn't even know what a comma splice was. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back