Alternative Ending Two: Freedom And Fear

hellow

Cadet

Alternative Ending Two

Freedom And Fear

Part One

Hugo couldn't sleep. Earlier he had a nightmare in which some of the people on the
flight and been on the island who died came back to life.
The one who had accidentally blown himself up with dynamite, stood over him. Then
he had remembered when his headphones had cut out. Ever since complete silence disturbed
him.
After the plane crashed people floated by dead in the water. The women he saw who
mysteriously appeared out of nowhere. Who were Sydney and Nadia on a mission to the
island looking for Rambaldi artifacts.

Sawyer: "You better stop dreaming. A cruise ship ain't comin' our way any day soon,"

Then he heard headphones playing the tune heard before they cut out. He pulled himself
up from the ground. In the night he had gone to the beach when he couldn't sleep. Still he
heard music.
He looked at Sawyer who nodded to him. He found a backpack with a few paperbacks in
it. One story was about a Gnostic sect, persecuted by Christian knights. When two of them
came back with their leader, he saved them by leading knights who were chasing them
away, immolating himself in an underground recess or tunnel that was in flame. Just like
the movie where one saves the other by self-immolation, letting the other take his place.
Sawyer put the book down.

Sawyer: "Give it up their not coming," he left.

He looked out at the sea and the horizon. There was something out there it seemed.

Hugo: "Sometimes you just want to believe," he said to himself, "It's probably a
mirage," and went back to sleep.

A cool breeze blew over him, he could hear the old headphones, and the sound of
people. It was a far off sound but continuous. That it didn't cut out, made him think
he was still dreaming. He fell back to sleep.

In his dream he was at a special gathering. Everyone was in formal attire. There
were highschool friends, co-workers, even Others. Jack had on a suit as did Sawyer, who
didn't have a tie. Kate walked by. Someone asked, "What about Brian?" He nodded to Hugo.
Sydney and Nadia were there, they stayed in the background, observing everyone like
policemen. They fit the description someone gave of new Others. The music became louder
but still was far off.
When he awoke for the third time and looked out at the same spot where he thought he
saw something before. This time he knew it was real. It, was a cruise ship.

Hugo: "Oh, oh, yes, yes, its...hey! Everyone...its...they've come for us, they're here!"

Sawyer: "Dude, what in blazes is going on with you? See another mirage? You'll get ove-"
He looked and saw the ship in the distance. "Do I or don't I go...I ain't
spending my life, if anyone found out about that..."

Kate: "I see it. I--can't go back."

One by one the islanders come out to see. Some of the men start to swim out to it.
A small boat is coming their way. They scream, hug one another, cry.

Clair [to Charlie:] "My bird, they caught it." she says holding the baby.

Sayid [to Kate:] "If this makes international news, the people out to get me -I will
be on the run for the rest of my life."
Sawyer: "That makes three of us...you know, I think we could get on the ship, hide,
then find some obscure jobs and fade away."

Kate stood her hand over her wrist, she remembered what it was like to have cuff's
biting steel on tender skin.

Locke: "Can we go back and lead normal lives after this?"

Someone asked him about the vision of destiny he had about being on the island.

Hugo [Walks by talking to himself] "Going to cash in my ticket!"

Part Two

On the cruise ship the Agency has decided to take up Sydney's idea of helping the
people on the island get back home.
Some members of the ship's passengers and crew are on the cruise, others are
Agency CIA government and other agencies. Since [according to my version of the story,]
this has been a former military installation for more than one government, the island
and its occupants are of international interest apart from their being lost passengers
of the plane. However, due to the nature of the island's past the press has not been
informed of this cruise, or the rescue mission.
It is unclear what to do about Kate and Sawyer. Since the Alias team has found out
everything about them they know Sayid is a former Iraqi guard.

Jack Bristow [To Dixon:] "I wonder what will happen to those three, should we let them
go their own way or help them?"

Dixon: "We could set them up as eye witnesses in a protection program."

Jack: "We could invent a few crimes, find a few agents to pose as criminals persecuting
them."

Sloane: "Jack, Dixon, goodmorning. Well looks like a beautiful day. Take a look in these."

They see the crowd on the shore.

Sloane: "Time to pick them up. Somebody said there is a band playing inside. Its been a while
since I've heard any live music. Oh, I have an idea for those three, perhaps
we could have Sydney and Nadia train them. The former Republican Guard is already
an asset, he just needs orientation into the firm. The other two are a little
rough around the edges but who knows, a little training?"

Jack: "And the rest?"

Sloane: "They do not have quite the same challenges as people who are listed by the
government as dangerous. The former guard stands accused of having
international terrorist connections. So far this is classified with government.
He is going to need our help. The rest will have to pick up where they left off."

Dixon: "There is only one problem here."

Jack: "What?"

Dixon: "They are ALL connected. Many will read something into this."

Jack: "You're right."

Sydney: "They are fellow citizens. We are agents, they are going to need our protection from now
on."

Part Three

After getting board and being welcomed back to civilization, Kate, Sawyer and Saayid
Watch the television screens. They see all but themselves on television and begin to
Think the have not been noticed. A video-journalist had been heard telling the cameraman about passengers on a special trip not on the destination list. He is heard telling the audience he and the camera crew are posing a tourists. What the rescued islanders do not know is that they are agents. The television broadcasts, from nearby
islands are really being sent from the agency. So far Kate, Sawyer and Saayid are at
liberty and feel successful in keeping out of the camera’s eye.
After meals and bathing they are living luxuriously. However, many are wondering
about their life back home. What will life be like after this? For now let us follow the
three would be fugitives, being brought into a life of spies.

Upon the charge of being an Iraqi guard with terrorist links, and the deaths of others,
Kate, Sawyer and Saayid are arrested by agents Sydney, Jack and Nadia. They are in cells
in an agency detention centre. They see video of themselves being arrested. The other
people from the island think they have gone into hiding for the rest of their lives.
Absence makes the heart grow fonder, so in order to get Sawyer, the most unlikely to become an agent, convinced to do so, he is isolated. Kate and Saayid are allowed to see
each other.

Kate: “Saayid, are you sure you told us everything about yourself?”
Saayid: “Oh, Kate-- have we been through all that and…”
Kate: “They said you’re tied to terrorists.”
Saayid: “I don’t believe this! We get back, to real life then we end up in a cell. Look, I was —how many times did I save others, how many risks did I take for—even you?”
Kate: “We all did for each other. You’re not the only one. It’s all even.”
Saayid : “I had a chance to escape just now when they left us alone on the ship when we
docked. So did you two, why didn’t you.”
Kate: “And be on the run forever? They would eventually capture us. Besides, we had more freedom on the island than we ever would have here. We would have been caught on the flight, if it hadn’t crashed.”
Saayid: “Believe me, look at all we went through together.”
Kate: “I saw a picture of you with the suicide bomber. A school full of soldier’s children died.”
Saayid: “It’s phony. I never saw him.”
Kate: “it looks pretty incriminating”

Meanwhile Sloane has been interrogating Saywer.

Sloane: “Mr. Saywer, we know what you did in the past. However, since from what we found out about the actions of you brave people on the island, we could overlook somethings.
Some people believe we are living in the end time. The dead will be raised up. I myself have done things that could possibly bar me from the Afterlife. What the Final Judgement is for all of us depends on that time period.”
Saywer: “[mockingly,] Oh, your not going to give me absolution?”
Sloane: “But I can offer you a new life. However, this life has its hazards. And since you have already lead quite a dangerous life on the island, your just a few steps away from what I have in mind.”

Back to Kate and Saayid.

Kate: “All right, I guess I have to trust you.”
Saayid: “We are all family now.”
Agent: “You both have to go back to your cells. Come on.”

As Saayid goes out before the agent the agent injects him in the arm with a needle. He wakes up, feet shackled together arms held by straps to the arms of the chair. Dixon is across from him behind a desk. A camera is off to the side, conspicuously recording the interrogation.
(See “Alternative Ending”, on another page on this site.)

Dixon: “We have knowledge of the husband who interrogated you. We have been watching them. So far, the outside world still thinks you people all disappeared.”
Saayid: “But the broadcast…”
Dixon: “Was closed circuit, the rest of the world didn’t see it.”
Saayid: “CIA?”
Dixon: “We work for the safety of America and the world; we are different but related to the CIA.”
Saayid: “What am I to you?”
Dixon: “On a mission to the island we found you. You have a sympathizer in a special agent because of her, you are here. [pauses] The entire group is going to be watched, for their protection, for the rest of their lives.”
Saayid: [looks at the camera] “What are we Truman?”
Dixon: “We are to them unknown but benign observers, willing to help if need be.”
Saayid: “Sorry if I’m not convinced, being held down is not what I would call help.”
Dixon: “It is an offer to use your technical skills for the right side.”

Dixon leaves. Saayid is set loose and brought to his cell. He is given a paper from the day of the rescue. The paper contains no reference to the ship, the island or even the flight.

Part Four

After Dixon interrogates Saayid Sydney confronts Sloane.

Sydney: “These people have been through hell and you interrogate them? Have you no shame?
Sloane: “Sydney, he is a dangerous man. Yes, I know he seems to be a good man but it is his training for the other side…That surely is going to conflict at some point with our objectives.”
Sydney: “How?”
Sloane: “At some point, in a situation that puts pressure on a person, a snap judgement could be made at a critical time. The person who is trained is going to response, not to his allegiance, not to his preference but to what has been ingrained into his mind. Indoctrination, no doubt would have been involved in his training. Indoctrination, at a subconscious level overrides training. By putting him in a situation of constraint I wished to see how he would react.”
Sydney: “I saw it played back, he responded in a calm rational manner.
Sloane: “He was subdued not tortured. He responded according to his degree of tolerance.”
Sydney: “So, to reach that degree, to see if he will succumb, your going to torture him? You can’t. I am going to stop you.! Have you not done enough damage? What about the people who went mad in Europe and died-: your fault!”

She storms out of the room.

In his mind Sloane could picture the scene: the insane killing each other off. He had developed a conscience over it. He had prayed to God. No one knew some of the things he had been involved in:
The Rambaldi device used on an island that was another military installation. The island was never on maps. Satellite images were altered to prevent it from showing up. The device was imploded at a depth below the surface; to be used after the inhabitants were evacuated. The evacuation was not carried out for some reason. They covered up this disaster by exploding a nuclear bomb on the island; the island ceased to exist. Two thousand Nato Allies died a slow death. “I am guilty of playing God,” Sloane said to himself. He got down on his knees.
He snapped, got into his car, went to a facility that had a Rambaldi archive. He wanted to blow it up to prevent anyone else from using the blue print for the next great weapon. He took from an envelop a picture of…”Good bye,” he said. There was a vial in a desk. He took it. Poured the contents into his eye where it would be more quickly absorbed into the blood stream. From there the drug entered into the brain faster than by digestion or injection.
He took the wrong vial, it not kill him. Cramped and crippled, he could no longer think straight. His mind went blank, his sight was gone. It was later debated at the agency whether to keep him alive or euthanize him.

Part Five

Dixon: “This is Arvin’s replacement, Mr. Johnstone.
Johnstone: “Hello, I am sorry to hear about Arvin. He has been important to a lot of us. Well, I won’t keep you long. We have more important matters than the people from the island. However, there will be a meeting on those matters later. Since this is a project somewhat outside the usual agency protocol, I will allow it to go through. You must produce results with these people or else I will recommend to the board that converting these three to agents be terminated.”
An aide came in and handed him a note. He left without a word. Sydney was not there.

In another part of the agency building Nadia is showing Kate and Sawyer training videos for new recruits.
Meanwhile Johnstone has been seen showing Saayid into the same office he had been in before. He was taken out by another door. Johnstone is interviewing Sydney, who is strapped down to the chair with her feet shackled together, as Saayid was.

Sydney: “What have you done to Sloane? Did you give the order for Saayid to be interrogated like this? Where’s the camera, don’t want any evidence of what your about to do? Who are you? Sloane is really important to you—have you even ever seen him?”
Johnstone: “This piece of tape I am putting on your forehead has a chemical on the sticky side. In a few minutes it will be absorbed into you skin. Unlike a patch it can be taken off at once.”
Sydney: “Some sort of truth serum?”
Johnstone” “No, it gives you a heightened sense of paranoia. That, is intended to scare you in giving out something…not the truth, which is what a serum would do. Rather, it is to make so scared, your most extreme reaction will give me a better indication of how close we are. Otherwise, your indoctrination here would block even truth serum from giving away what I want. Oh, by the way, Sloane never knew that we had him under our control.
There is an implant that sends a constant signal to his brain; he never really comes out of the state we have had him in. And now, we have YOU!!”

Sydney’s pupils become dilated as the drug takes effect. Once he saw that, it was time to begin.

Part Six

Johnstone: "Sidney, do you remember when all those people turned into madmen
Your sister went mad and tried to kill you. That was not a human,
that was a monster. Do you remember them pursuing you?
Insane with unatural hate. It was like a horror movie. Right now,
the drug is making you feel nervous. I want to [strap her in...]
have you watch this screen [to a nurse] do it.
These are all things you experienced and saw on the island while
you were watching the islanders, there were cameras, which you could
not see that were watching you. That's right, right inside your tent!
Remember your sister's text messaging. Read it, we did! [His eyes
were as dilated as hers from a peculiar frenzy of oversized ego.]
What you don't remember that man stalking you with a gun? [He was all]
shadow. In her state she could believe he was their on the screen. In
reality, his suggestions made her see it there.]
He knocked you out...I don;t know wyhat he did to you; he brought
you back to the same spot. He was there when the Lost flight was
brought to your attention. That there were Rambaldi artifacts there.
Why you went.
Look! [she could see a plane falling from the sky on fire; it was
a scene taken from a higher altitude than the flight.] Yes, you
people watched the flight go down. Don't look away [she flashed back
to the people on the island then to the agency where they first
discussed going there."
Sidney: "No its all lies!"Johnstone: "What lies? You saw it you knew: it was your people who brought
down the flight."
Sidney: "Nooo!" She started to cry.
Johnstone: "If I go public with this story, the Agency's cover, the will
pursue you for the rest of your life!"
Sidney: "No-oo not fault."
Johnstone: "Remember the madmen, they're back!"
Sydney: "No!" She juimped out of the chair breaking the straps."
Johnstone: "Do it." [They gave her a weak charge from a stun gun.]
There is you r sister, in the next room. She has a gun, see."
[A women dressed to look like Nadia, with a gun comes out of
the room motioning to her.]
Sydney: "Na nad-!" She breaks down tears streaming.
Johnstone: "The rest--they're all coming for you." [She slinks down to
whimper] I have the solution that will make it all go away.
Return everyone to normal. The workers will pretend to spray
the city for a bug infestation, and spray the remedy. Or,
depending on your cooperation, could spray Sloane's solution
on them."
Sydney: "No no---don't! Plea plea please [She has a flash back to the island.
Marshal had given them the wrong coordinates. Then they heard the
sound of other people shouting. They thought her father had shot at
someone a and that they returned fire. The shots neaarly hit them.]
It was you, you were---oh, oh."
Johnstone: "No, it was your father. he tried to kill you. It was Sloane, he tried
to kill you. It was Dixon, they are all against you!!"
Sydney: "No-----!" [The mock Nadia came back, injecting her then she laughed.]
YOU TOO?"
Psuedo Nadia: "Tell us where you took the Rambaldi devices."
[Sydney looked at the screen some of the islander's ask "Where did
you take the Rambaldi devices?"]
Johnstone: "Give us the truth or I will let them in."

[The room they are in has an elevator near it. They took the elevator numbers and
the numbers on the buttons and changed them making her think she is in the room they
interviewed Saayid in. In fact,they led her into a different room on another floor.
No one can here this exchange of words or what is about to take place.
Suddenly, sounds, like a bunch of madmen came from outside. In fact it is a sound
track from a horror movie.]

Sydney: "Let me go please, don't let them get me.."
Johnstone: "Where are the artifacts?"
Sydney: "NO its bit what were aft...," she recovered herself but not before
revealing there was another purpose to their having been at the
island."
Johnstone: "So, there is something more to it."

[A familiar Agency administrator walks in.]

Administrator: "Johnstone, I told you, release her. Oh, Sydney, I am so sorry. You
[to Johnstone] I never liked your agressive tactics. Take her back."
Sydney: [Still affected by the drug:] Than thank you...oh!"
Administrator: "We want only the best..." He watched her go out.
Johnstone: "Whatever they found they must have put somewhere else.
but where another country?"
Administrator: "I don't know. For now, don't kill her. Remember that
crime movie where they turn the old lady into a junkie?
This drug, keep it up. Make a paranoid junkie.
Every shadow is a threat. Don't quite frighten her to
death. Do come close."
This group got in my way everytime I got close..Now
I'm in their way. I'm going to be like wire underneath
the skin. You thought 24 was disturbing. Wait till you
experience this, my young friend!"

Part Seven

Sydney began to see on the monitor images from her life. However, they were altered. They were not at all like how she originally experienced them. These were all scenes no one else knew about at the agency and in her immediate circle of family and friends: The time she went into a friend’s room and found her diary. I t was not what she expected; it was written in Russian. Another time she went into another friend’s house—there she found the mother had books on espionage. Inquiring about them, she was evasive. She had remembered they were cook books, and the diary was in English.

Johnstone: “Bit like the Manchurian Candidate?”
Sydney: “No, this is all wrong!”

She began to see images of people who had died during the course of her career. These images were interspersed with images of mourners at funerals.

Johnstone: “You killed these people didn’t you?”

A nuclear bomb exploded.

Johnstone: “Betrayed your own people didn’t you?”
Sydney: “NO!”

Everything was becoming a fog in her mind. Images blurred together became ideas blurred together. She was an enemy of her own agency. She was responsible for everything bad.

Johnstone: “You got Sloane plans for a Rambaldi weapon. Now many people are destroyed.”
Sydney: “No—lies.” She was incoherent from the drugs they had given her.

After a few lucid rallies of rebellion against indoctrination and a few days later she began to crack.

Sydney: “Yes, yes, I’m sorry…oh, please, tell them I am.!”

Johnstone: “You can redeem yourself. Join us. You can turn to the right side. Join our Order. Help defeat your people. The world will not be safe until they are gone. The must be eliminated.”
Sydney: “Yes, yes, I will, I will. Help me!”

Johnstone: “I will.”

The next day Sydney found herself rested and coherent. While she had understood it was the next day, it was four days later. They had taken Huxley’s sleep propaganda through a speaker in a pillow to feed her information. Without a reflective mind to assess the data, she took it in unfiltered. She was completely receptive to anything she would be asked to do.
When she got up she put her hand near the monitor, which was blank, it suddenly turned on. When she put her hand on the keyboard without depressing the escape key, help files opened up.
She put her feet on the floor the door unlocked. Ordinarily, this would greatly alarm her but after such efforts as Johnstone had put in she was very she had new powers.
Looking out the windows, she was not in the same area as her old agency but was looking out onto a park. There were children playing. Outside the door, there was a women who had a clipboard and was waiting for her.

Assistant: “Here is your itinerary. Did you want to leave for the airport now or later..?”
She just looked at her.
Sydney: “You look like someone I knew.”
Assistant: “You must be mistaken but here is your hotel, room number, and special card keys you will need.” When they reached the doors she said “Just hold your finger out like this.”
Then the door opened. “You must be a little shaken, you were sick for a while, there is a cafeteria downstairs. Come on.” She held onto her, “Let’s get something into you.”
As she fell into her arms the assistant held her hand, Sydney felt a sharp pain in her head. She could have sworn she saw a spark from their fingers.
The assistant asked if she had a fever. When she put her hand to her forehead, Sydney’s eyes involuntarily closed. When she touched her eyelids she felt heat. When she opened her eyes another person was helping her to the cafeteria.

Inside the cafeteria there were people dressed in suits, others had lab coats, others wore patient gowns. The assistant helped her chose a nice meal.

Sydney: “Where are we?”
Assistant: “Agency hospital, no one from outside the agency is here. You have a special assignment. This is it.” She handed her a file. “As soon as your better you can go back to work….”
Sydney: “Where is the new agency?”

Assistant: “It is right here,” she showed her a map.”
Sydney: “Who gives me instructions, who is the Director?”

Assistant: “You will not see her for a while. That is what I am here for.”
Sydney: “Your a real spark plug.”

Assistant: “Just a minute. I’ll be right back.” She pulled out a cell phone. “Did you hear that?”
Johnstone: “Yes, it’s alright. She is not upset. Just deal with her as if this was a normal day. She won’t recall it, all her memories will be wiped out with everything we are going to fill her head with. Ignore it. We want her to remember only the important things not the trivial.”

Sydney opened the file, it had a blueprint of a building that has no sign on it, no telephone listing, web page, or address number. She will be going to a meeting of politicians and scientists who are working out an agreement on global warming. The meeting will not be announced to the press, however, there are imbedded reporters who will relate what happened a week after the event.
The conference is a really a secret meeting about Rambaldi devices to replace pesent means of generating energy. The people meeting are trying to prevent more nuclear power from being used. They are in fact followers of Rambaldi. Their chapter of the Rambaldi following was preceded by the group that was responsible for preventing the Nazi’s from using the bomb.
Before North America abandons all other sources of energy except nuclear, they have set up a conference with Rambaldi sympathizers in government and science.
Sydney has been indoctrinated to believe that Rambaldi technology is bad and must be prevented from becoming alternative technology. In fact the superior Rambaldi is being wiped out before it has a chance to be seen by the public at large. So far it is known by few people…her goal is to steal an unpublished academic journal article outlining new Rambaldi Replacement Technology (RRT). She is to bring it to the Director. The director will make an inferior alternative that is something like it, and then destroy the original. The Director’s leading scientist, Leslie Lewsent, of the Pices Project will write the alternative article, give it to Sydney who will put it in the same place she will take the original from. Thereby, will the new technology be under control of the anti-Rambaldi forces.

During the conference but after the first RRT lecture, she has been put under hypnotic suggestion to kill the leading Rambaldi scientist. The leading Rambaldi scientist is known in the Rambaldi underground as Hermeticus. To anti-Rambaldi forces he is known as the Promethean Prole. To kill him would scare off the other scientists supporting true alternatives to the present system of fuel generation.
To test Sydney’s new loyalty, she has been shown the web site of a minor Rambaldi scientist. He has put a new journal article in a pro-Rambaldi site. However, as there was controversy over one of his ideas he put it in the EDIT SECTION before putting it out for Rambaldi followers to read and assess. She did not need to hack the web site. For the man used a computer at the public library and, did not click off the box saying REMEMBER ME? THIS IS NOT FOR SHARED COMPUTERS. Even so the computer still inputs his name and password so that anyone could edit or delete his material. Or copy it and use it or alter it or use a segment of it for their own purposes. Or even use code to hold his material from being used before he can use it. She was able to type in the site and, as the computer remembered his online name and password, all she had to do was copy the idea to disk, delete it from his EDIT SECTION and send it to her new agency. Upon realizing he had not put the idea in the UPDATE SECTION, the scientist decided to opt out of the conference. Sydney passed the test and was accepted as a suitable indoctrinated tool for the Anti-Rambaldi camp.

Now, the director was ready to get rid of the slanderous statements, pictures, etc., that his agency had put about Sydney, who had been instrumental in impeding the development of their plans in the past. Until then the ill legend had grown to spectacular heights.

Back