Politics America and the Iran nuclear issue

"I look forward to working with our European friends to make it abundantly clear to the Iranian regime that the free world will not tolerate them having a nuclear weapon" George Bush

excuse me but i just don't get this , George Bush is telling other states that they cant have nuclear weapons, but America can. That strikes me as widely hypocritical. No country should have nuclear weapons in my opinion.

It is amazingly hypocritical. There is no other way to rationalize it. We're allowed to have powerful nuclear weapons, but nobody else is?

We recently pulled out of an agreement we had with Russia that we wouldn't continue exploring new nuclear technology, because Bush wanted to. Now we're upset because Russia isn't going to stick with it.

It's crazy. But I do agree that nobody should have nuclear weapons. If nobody has them, then we don't have to worry about them.

Sex-Dwarf said:
"I look forward to working with our European friends to make it abundantly clear to the Iranian regime that the free world will not tolerate them having a nuclear weapon" George Bush

excuse me but i just don't get this , George Bush is telling other states that they cant have nuclear weapons, but America can. That strikes me as widely hypocritical.  No country should have nuclear weapons in my opinion.
[post="1255492"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Lol, Bush is the King of Hypocrisy. Get used to it :lol:

YOu don't get it, America's arms are only there to make sure other countries/organizations dont use whatever they might have. Its containing a threat.
Its the same reason we have an army. In a perfect world, there would be no army, becasue there would be no threat.

the other side can argue the same thing: so others don't use whatever they have. it's containing a threat, in which their case could be considered America...

therefore to me, it's totally hypocrisy. haha...

Moonlite Star said:
the other side can argue the same thing: so others don't use whatever they have. it's containing a threat, in which their case could be considered America...

therefore to me, it's totally hypocrisy. haha...
[post="1255973"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Exactly. We have them incase we're threatened by another country. But that's exactly why other countries have them, to protect themselves in a time of war.

And having an army is entirely different than having a nuclear weapon that can practically level an entire country.

AliasHombre said:
YOu don't get it, America's arms are only there to make sure other countries/organizations dont use whatever they might have.  Its containing a threat.
Its the same reason we have an army. In a perfect world, there would be no army, becasue there would be no threat.
[post="1255690"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Who says America is right and everybody else is wrong?

A lot of the bad relations countries have with the US government stem from the fact Bush thinks his word should rule the world.

I'm not saying I support Iran or anything, but that kind of arrogance is infuriating to people who don't come from the US.

Who says we all want Bush telling us what we can and can't do?! And what qualifies him to be 'God' of the world? Did any of the rest of us elect him? NO.

AliasHombre said:
YOu don't get it, America's arms are only there to make sure other countries/organizations dont use whatever they might have.  Its containing a threat.
[post="1255690"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
A threat to who? This isn't about America vs the rest of the world. Well, at least it shouldn't be, but Bush is making it that way.

In a perfect world, Bush wouldn't be telling every other country what to do like it is his right.

It is extremely patronising to all of the other countries of the world.

Ok so the rationale is slightly illogical. And even I think America should accept the fact that if its allowed nuclear weapons, then so should every one else.

But what happens if Iran launches them into Isreal? or Iraq? or they end up in the hands of some insurgents?

I know diplomatic relations aren't the best but I don't think Bush has threatened to launch weapons into Canada.

Look at it from a Middle Eastern point of view for a minute. Bush invades their countries and 'saves' them (saves being a very loose term of course), starts wars in their homelands, and threatens them with more of the same. All the while, he has his own rather magnificent stockpile of very dangerous weapons just waiting to be used.

And he expects these people to do as he says, and, furthermore, TRUST him?!

Natalia said:
Look at it from a Middle Eastern point of view for a minute. Bush invades their countries and 'saves' them (saves being a very loose term of course), starts wars in their homelands, and threatens them with more of the same. All the while, he has his own rather magnificent stockpile of very dangerous weapons just waiting to be used.

[post="1256417"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Wow. Could that be said any better? That's exactly how I feel :smiley:

if they test and deploy a nuclear weapon
we will look like even bigger fools
than with north korea
why didn't we engage them one on one diplomatically?
and is using the veiled threat of military force
against iran really helping?
the day is coming when the number of dead
and wounded will force us out of iraq,
no matter what bush says...
then where will we be?

mc

Natalia said:

[post="1256417"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Exactly! Crazy how we invade Iraq because we fear they may have WMDs (which they don't)...but we want to act diplomatically when it comes to North Korea and right now Iran (though that could change).

I think that if we expect other countries to give up their nuclear weapons, then we need to destory all of ours.

The problem with doing it first is your more vunerable. That is the bottom line.

If we're looking at it from a middle eastern point of view surely its more dangerous for Iran to have them. Regional tensions there could esculate over night. If I lived in Isreal I wouldn't want Iran or Iraq or Syria having nuclear weapons.

Iraq will only become more stable not less especially with advances in the region recently.

And there needs to be threat of force with Iran becuase carrot and stick doesn't work without stick.

AliasHombre said:
Too bad that can't happen.
[post="1257461"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

It really is too bad. But I never say never...I like to think there will someday be a possibility for world peace.

Moonlite Star said:
yeah...but if youve read the novels of utopian societies...those aren't always the best...even though everything seems perfect...
[post="1257615"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

But world peace doesn't necessarily mean utopia. Just that we don't have to worry about another country sending a nuke over here and vice versa.

Jamison said:
But world peace doesn't necessarily mean utopia.  Just that we don't have to worry about another country sending a nuke over here and vice versa.
[post="1257676"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I don't worry about a country trying to hit us for two reasons.
A. We have more arms so they have incentive not to do it
B. There are no coutnries with real abilities to do such a thing. Not even N.K.
There are only rouge groups of people that threaten us.

Back