Drama American Psycho (2000)

kahlenm

Cadet
Title: American Psycho

Tagline: I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.

Genre: Thriller, Drama, Crime

Director: Mary Harron

Cast: Christian Bale, Willem Dafoe, Jared Leto, Josh Lucas, Samantha Mathis, Matt Ross, Bill Sage, Chloë Sevigny, Cara Seymour, Justin Theroux, Guinevere Turner, Reese Witherspoon, Krista Sutton, Reg E. Cathey, Anthony Lemke, Stephen Bogaert, Monika Meier, Blair Williams, Marie Dame, Kelley Harron, Patricia Gage, Landy Cannon, Park Bench, Catherine Black, Margaret Ma, Peter Tufford Kennedy, Mark Pawson, Jessica Lau, Lilette Wiens, Glen Marc Silot, Charlotte Hunter, Kiki Buttignol, Joyce R. Korbin, Reuben Thompson, Bryan Renfro, Ross Gibby, Christina McKay, Alan McCullough, Connie Chen, Brett Alexander Davidson, Peter Loung, Joseph Oliveira, Leanne Poirier Greenfield, Somaya Reece, Kate Steen, Dan Rush, Alex Trebek, Chris Stone

Release: 2000-04-13

Runtime: 102

Plot: A wealthy New York investment banking executive hides his alternate psychopathic ego from his co-workers and friends as he escalates deeper into his illogical, gratuitous fantasies.
American Psycho (2000)

I got this plot summary from imdb.com

Patrick Bateman, a young, well to do man working on wall street at his father's company kills for no reason at all. As his life progresses his hatred for the world becomes more and more intense. Based on the book by Bret Easton Ellis.

To say the least, I am a huge Christian Bale fan. Not only is he handsome but he is one of the most talented actors today. My question to all of you who have seen this film is..Do you think he (Patrick) actually murdered those people?? What did you take away from the film??

I'm still on the fence...mostly because towards the ends he goes back to Paul Allen's apartment to find that it is cleaned up and the realtor is acting all weird towards him. That scene could be used to argue for both sides.

A big part of me believes that the murders happened in his mind because Patrick seemed like a dorky character and the only way he could live /w himself is if he created an alter ego that was a serial killer, in his mind that is. All of his "friends" look the same and he felt the need to stand out, granted it's not a normal way to do so but then again the film is called "American Psycho"

Ugh, the movie just sucked lol Thank God Christian Bale turned down the offer he got to appear in it.

Does anyone else laugh when he dances to Huey Lewis's song "It's Hip to Be Square" :lol:

I like to think the murders really did happen because it would show he was really psycho, not just hallucinating. I laughed through a lot of this. Great black humor.

ms.katejones said:
I like to think the murders really did happen because it would show he was really psycho, not just hallucinating. I laughed through a lot of this. Great black humor.
[post="1411283"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Yes, but remember when he went on a rampage when one night and the cops were after him?? It started when he saw an ATM machine telling him to feed it to the kitten he was holding? Since ATM's have cameras it would have filmed him shooting the old lady. Yet, the very next day he isn't wanted or even on the news. When he shot at the cop car pursuing him he said that he felt like a movie and perhaps he said that because it was in his mind. A person's imagination can be very powerful and deceiving.

I believe someone can be psycho without actually murdering anyone. All of his "friends" or "co-workers" look and act similar, like clones. They were all yuppies and they were the "American Dream" including Patrick. Yet, he didn't feel fulfilled and needed to feel like he was different, so he could have made up an alter ego. Let's back track when he had a chance to kill his gay co-worker, he hesitated and did not get it done. If he were really psycho he wouldn't have been so hesitated and sloppy.

lol I love that Christian's such a big hit now. :lol: Cracks me up. I remember when this came out. I couldn't bring myself to see it -- back then I was kinda prudish and I was a bit shocked he was doing something so gory after such quiet movies as All The Little Animals and Metroland. ^_^ I still don't think I could do it. :P

Yeah, part of the reason why he's not as famous as I think he should because he's not into publicity about his personal life and until Batman Begins, he didn't star in a blockbuster film.