Amy Tan

i love all of her books! she is definatly one of my favorite authors. i had to read joy luck club for school but i loved it! its one of my favorite books. i really like how she relates mother daughter generational relationships with chinese culture. its like reading a fairytale almost because i know nothing of chinese customs or cultures and most of the time, she tells the mother's story while she was in china which is always very interesting! i also loved bonesetters daughter, great book! i hope tan comes out with more soon!

i've read the joy luck club and the kitchen god's wife. i definitely liked joy luck club better. in fact, i loved it! even though i'm not chinese (i'm vietnamese), i could COMPLETELY relate to june; her relationship with her mother was exactly like mine. and waverly totally reminded me of one of my friends who lived across the street from me - the one my mother always compared me to. :confused: it was a bit depressing, personally, but the truth is rarely happy.

yeah, it's okay, my mother and i are a bit better now, but of all the books i've ever read, joy luck club definitely hit home the hardest. reading about june and her mother was like reading about me and mine. but that's what made the book so good! amy tan was able to write about four different mother/daughter relationships and i think any woman - whether she's asian or not - could relate to one or all of them.

could you imagine what she could do with irina and sydney?! ;)

i agree im not of asian heritage but i could easily relate to each of the characters relationships with their mothers. im going to have to read it again, but i need a new copy because i have read it like three times and pages are falling out!lol
and oo i think we should send her somehting asking her to please write fanfic!!!LOL

I loved Joy Luck Club, I've read it at least twice! It is soo good! I loved the way the mothers and daughters interacted. I think it was so sad to hear all of the mother's terrible stories of living in China and I thought it was amazing the way Amy Tan conveyed the struggles of the mothers trying to teach the daughters.

yes it was sad with the mother's struggles in China, they wanted their daughter's to be rich in American culture but didnt realize that they wouldnt be in their Chinese culture then told them otherwise, sounds like alot of mothers not just chinese. in my opinion.

So far i've just finished reading the Bonesetter's Daughter, that was sad about Precious Auntie, I need to get a crack onto The Joy Luck CLub

My mom read this book!!! LMAO! and she told me what it's about and stuff but I haven't read it yet! I have such a long reading list it's impossible to get to everyone!

I borrowed this book from a friend last summer and read it, 'cause I really liked the movie. Wow. That's all I have to say. I have yet to read any of her other books though.

you should really read The Bonesetter's Daughter i reallly liked that, i thought it was better than the others but they are all really good(Kitchen God's Wife and Hundred Secret Senses!all very good books though!great reads!)

I really loved The Joy Luck Club! I loved the flowing frame format/interwined story format. I've read the book so many times, I haven't seen the movie though :(-- but the book is better than the movie anyhow (as I've heard) :smiley:. My favorite story was Lindo Jong's "Red Candle" and Ying-Ying St. Clair's"The Moon Lady" was a close second favorite.

The Hundred Secret Senses is also great-- those that haven't read that and loved the Joy Luck club should read it :smiley:

I've read all of her books (The Joy Luck Club, The Hundred Secret Senses, The Kitchen God's Wife, and The Bonesetter's Daughter) and I think my favorite has to be The Hundred Secret Senses....

I think my cousin actually FORCED me to read The Joy Luck Club. But after that, I wasn't rejecting reading her books. Hahaha. :smiley:

Has anyone read The Opposite of Fate? Her book of musings... Even though it's not a story... I think it'd still be good to read.

Back