Dismiss Notice
Alien Soup is a free community for fans of science-fiction, horror, & fantasy! Everybody is welcome here.

An Exercise in Human Problems

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi and Fantasy Talk' started by Tom, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Tom

Tom An Old Friend

2. Tom

Tom An Old Friend

THE DOCTOR'S DILEMMA
    Suspend your disbelief and imagine the following miracle to have occurred: A young doctor working in a hospital discovers that he has the power to cure anyone under the age of seventy of any sickness or injury simply by touching the patient. Any contact, however brief, between any part of his skin and the skin of the patient will cure the disease.

He has always been devoted to his work, and he wants to use his gift to benefit humanity as much as possible. However, he knows that the gift is absolutely non-transferable, will last for his lifetime only, and will not persist in tissue separated from his body. This was explained by the angel or flying saucerite who gave it to him.

What will happen if he uses his gift?

What should he try to do and how should he go about it?

What is the most favorable result that can be expected?

I consider myself a member of the scientific rather than the literary culture, and my idea of the correct answers to the above questions reflects this. However, in order to mislead the reader, I shall give some pessimistic scenarios and related literary exercises.

3. Tom

Tom An Old Friend

LITERARY EXERCISES IN PESSIMISM AND PARANOIA

4. Tom

Tom An Old Friend