And What Appears To Be, Is Not

Great update, although Irina should be ashamed for using such a dirty trick to escape from Jack :devil:

Thanks for the PM, I look forward to the next

I'm so glad chapter 9 wasn't posted before I left, because the suspense would have killed me for what would have happened in chapter 10. :lol:

Both chapters were amazing. I loved Irina's and Elena's banter. You write the Derevko sisters very well, and I'm so glad that all three get along in your story. They have such a strong relationship and I love how they joke with each other. I like what Elena said to Irina about Jack. I hope that Elena will eventually like Jack if she gets the chance.

Jack and Sydney's conversation before they left was great. I like that they're getting closer and that it's not because she was missing for two years. They are very sweet and I also liked their conversation in chapter 10. I like that Jack told her that he believes Irina was telling the truth.

The meeting between Jack and Irina was great. I loved that he saved her life and that there was a bit of romance between them. Or at least a steamy moment. :lol: Now was not the time for Irina to explain, because Jack didn't really believe her when she told him something that was true. Knocking him out was probably not the right thing to do, but she can't go back to jail now. I'm glad he think he saw regret in her eyes even though he might not believe it now. Hopefully he will believe her one day, and he'll allow for her to come back to him.

Gosh I don't like Sloane. I hope he gets what he deserves. I like Julian. It can't be easy working for your family when your last name is Derevko. :lol: I just hope Sloane believes Julian.

As I said earlier, another sweet conversation between Jack and Sydney. I'm so glad he asked about Will. He's such a sweetheart.

Looking forward to reading the next chapter. This is already turning out to be one of my all time favorite stories. Of course if Jack and/or Irina dies I might think differently. :lol: Would also like to see them live happily ever after together. :lol:

A/N: Thank you for your kind comments, they are highly appreciated. :love:

Chapter 11

One Week Later, Los Angeles, Jack Bristow’s Residence

Broad daylight filled the apartment that was empty of any living soul. The clock above the mantelpiece showed that the time was 11.50 a.m. For hours now the apartment was void of any sounds, but that suddenly changed as a small noise came from the front door.

Slowly the front door lock was carefully opened. A key wasn’t used, but the newcomer made sure that the lock didn’t show any markings of a break in. Cautiously the intruder crept into the apartment although it was clear that there was no one beside them there.

After carefully looking around the apartment the intruder walked to the coffee table in the living room. A photo album was pulled out of their back bag and set on the table. A minute later a small note was set upon to album.

Making sure that nothing else than the album and the note was left of the visit, the intruder exited the apartment and disappeared into the Los Angeles sun.

Vaughn’s apartment, hours later

“I like when you cook.” Strong arms snaked around Sydney’s waist who was standing behind a stove. Sydney stopped stirring the pasta in the pot and turned around in his arms to face him.

“You won’t say that when you taste the food.” She tipped her head slightly to the side.

Vaughn laughed silently. “Syd, are you saying that you can disable ten different types of explosives, but you can’t make pasta?”

“More than twenty as a matter of fact, and no, I didn’t say I can’t cook, I’m saying that most of the time, my cooking ends in the trash bin.” Sydney entwined her fingers behind Vaughn’s neck.

“I believe in your cooking skills.” Vaughn smiled.

“Well, you are the only one.” She shook her head slightly as the smile on her face widened.

“Hey, hey! Cool it, guys.” Weiss entered the kitchen with Will walking a few feet behind him.

“I knew that giving you the key was a mistake.” Vaughn grumbled, as he and Sydney pulled apart.

“You weren’t answering the door.” Weiss shrugged innocently.

“I didn’t hear the doorbell.” Vaughn shot back without any malice.

“That’s because he knocked like once and then pulled out his key.” Will commented smirking at the two friends’ antics as he carefully sat down on the of the kitchen counter stools.

“I was worried that the two of you would forget the food as soon as you have time for yourselves. So I decided to save the pasta.” Weiss explained and then pulled open the fridge door. “Want a drink?” He held up a beer bottle.

“You’re offering me my own beer.” Vaughn pointed out.

“And your point being?” Weiss raised an eyebrow.

“Never mind. Give me a beer.” He shook his head. “I need to change my locks.” He whispered so only Sydney could hear. She bit back a laugh and told him quietly to be nice.

“What did the doctor say, Will?” Sydney asked her friend as she turned back to the burning simmers.

“He said that my recovery is remarkable and that I’m healing quite nicely. My physical therapy is starting next week, but I won’t be able to return to work anytime soon.” He explained. “Since I’m not coming to work any time soon, tell me the inner-office gossip.” He leaned conspiratorially forward.

“Well, there isn’t much to tell. But Kendall is getting more and more unbearable by the day.” Weiss said after taking a swig from his beer.

“Why?” Will asked.

“Jack is in charge and will be until Sloane, Sark and Derevko are captured. And Kendall is not pleased with that.” Sydney pursed her lips when she heard Weiss mention her mother but no other visible signs were seen that she was still bothered by her mother’s status on the CIA’s Most Wanted List.

“And he snaps at everyone who gets near him.” Vaughn piped up. “He nearly took Marshall’s head off when he asked him a minor detail of a mission.”

“I felt sorry for the poor guy, he still doesn’t understand who is the boss.” Weiss shrugged. “Frankly neither do I.”

“But it seems like Marshall and Carrie are developing something.” Sydney turned around with a slight smile.

“Really?” Will raised his eyebrows.

“Yeah, they have left work together for the last week. And I think I heard Marshall mentioning something about introducing her to his mother.” She moved to take the plates out of the cupboard.

“Poor woman.” Weiss commented.

“I think they’re cute together. She seems to like him sincerely.” She scowled slightly at Weiss, but the scowl soon turned into a smile.

“Good for Marshall.” Will raised his bottle in honour of the man, as did Weiss and Vaughn.

“Ok, guys, food’s ready. I’ll bring the food, go to the table.” She ushered them out of the kitchen and into the living room, where the dining table was set. Weiss and Will followed the given orders as Sydney puttered around the kitchen taking out several serving plates.

Seeing that Vaughn was still in the kitchen observing her, she turned around. Her intentions to scold him disappeared when she saw him smile widely. “What?” She asked bemused.

“It’s nice.” He answered shortly, his smile seemingly fixed on his face.

“What is nice?” Sydney was lightly annoyed for having to repeat herself.

“You knowing where everything is in my kitchen. And the rest of the apartment.” He walked to her.

“I know where everything is because I’ve been living with you for the past two weeks.” Sydney stated as-a-matter-of-factly.

“I like it.” Vaughn leaned down for a quick kiss.

“Mr. Vaughn, are insinuating that certain activities due to my living in this apartment are enjoyable to you?” Sydney asked with a cheeky smile that showed off her dimples.

“That too, but I was more interested in asking if you’d like to move in with me.” He put his hands on her shoulders.

“Move in with you?” Sydney asked a bit confused.

“Well, we spend every awake moments at work and away from work together. And you don’t seem too anxious to move back to your old apartment either. So I was wondering if you’d like to move in permanently.” Vaughn looked deeply in Sydney’s eyes.

“Seriously?” She refrained herself from smiling.

“Yes.” He answered. “Besides, you have been reorganizing my apartment during those two weeks.”

Sydney swatted his shoulder playfully. “That’s because you think clothes splayed over the bedroom floor is considered a horizontal closet.”

“That’s my belief and I refuse to let it go.” Vaughn settled his hands on her waist and pulled her closer.

“We’ll see about that.” Sydney shook her head but made no indication that she wasn’t happy with their proximity in the small kitchen.

“So, what do you think? You, me, living together?” Vaughn nudged her slightly.

She couldn’t keep the smile off her face any longer and nodded her head vigorously. “I think it’s a great plan if you’re absolutely sure about it.” She seemed a bit doubtful despite her excitement.

“I wouldn’t ask you if I weren’t a hundred percent positive about it.”

“Then I think I would love to move in with you, Michael.” Sydney stood on her tiptoes and kissed him.

“Hey, you called me Michael.” Vaughn said smilingly after she pulled back and rested her forehead against his.

“Yeah, I need to practise that. Don’t expect it to absolute from now on, but I can’t call you Vaughn forever.” Sydney bumped her nose against his.

“Forever?” He asked.

“Unless you have other plans.” She said without conviction.

“Not in a million years.” Vaughn leaned down to kiss her again but a mock-angry Weiss clearing his voice interrupted the kiss.

“I realize that I encouraged you two to date and all, but seriously if you keep going this way then you’ll starve to death very soon.” He lectured.

Sydney and Vaughn laughed a little and then pulled apart. Taking the dishes they moved from the kitchen to the living room with smile plastered on both of their faces.

~~

The next day, England

Grey clouds hid the blue sky and the bright sun from the people. It wasn’t raining but it seemed that it might at any minute.

A woman was standing in front of a double gravesite. Her posture was too rigid and her jaw was too harshly set for her to be at ease. Her long dark brown hair was pulled into a tight French braid and the gloomy weather did nothing to soften her light skin tone.

Slowly she kneeled in front of the tombstone and her fingers traced the words on it. Then she set two bouquets of flowers on the grave as she looked sadly at the names engraved there.

“I think of you every day. It doesn’t make any difference where I am or what I’m doing. You’re always in my heart and thoughts.” Closing her eyes she whispered. “I miss you.”

With that she stood up and walked away with her head down. Finally exiting the graveyard and closing the gate behind her she saw a very familiar person leaning on a car across the road looking seriously at her. Alex stopped for a minute, but when her mother stood up straight and started to say something, Alex shook her head and walked quickly to her, the last few steps rushed and wrapped her arms around her mother’s waist, closing her eyes as she refused to cry.

“You’re all here?” Alex asked as she still held her mother in a vice grip.

“Of course.” It was the only thing Elena said as nothing more was needed.

After a few minutes Alex sat in the passenger seat of the car as her mother started the car steering it away from the curb.

The grave, which had two bouquets of beautiful roses, was yet again left alone in the middle of hundreds of similar ones. But the names on it differenced it from all the others as they represented beloved souls. Christopher Matthews and Chloe Madeline Matthews. A young man whose life ended too soon and a little girl who never lived.

~~

Los Angeles

Jack walked through his front door and dropped his keys on the table in the hall. Sighing he took off his jacket and loosened his tie. That movement made no difference to his edginess that had built up during the day.

Without turning on the lights in the living room he headed for the bedroom where he placed his suitcase and jacket.

Heading to his study he loosened his tie and sat down in his armchair, pulling out a bottle of highly expensive whisky out of the bottom drawer of his desk. A-fifty-year-old whisky was perfect for mulling over his train-wreck of a life.

Jack really wasn’t happy about his newly acquired position as the head of the Joint Task Force. Not only was Kendall prominently hot on his heels, but it didn’t seem that he’d be relieved of the title anytime soon as Sloane, Sark nor Irina had taken any further actions that would help their capture.

Sloane and Sark seemed to have struck a deal and were once again partners. Neither had made any appearances for the past week and Jack was worried that Sloane was planning something that would entail a disaster. He had known the man for thirty years and every time Sloane would keep a low profile it would be like the quiet before the storm. It unsettled him and hoped they would catch him before he could endanger the world.

The other person completely bemusing him was Irina. Their sudden meeting a week ago had been surprising. Her statement that she was no longer working with Sloane made sense, but Jack was still far from believing it. The woman wasn’t known for telling the truth.

He had figured that by this time Irina’s network had to be fully active again, if it even went inactive during Irina’s imprisonment. The names, locations and information she had given to the CIA during her debriefs were probably secondary in importance to her. It had made no sense to Jack, when she had literally walked through the Central Intelligence Agency’s front doors, that Irina would openly give out the information that held her operation together. Now he was sure that her organization was as strong as and as hidden as it was before. He had to admit that she was a master planner.

But their encounter had genuinely seemed to surprise Irina and that bemused him. If it hadn’t been Irina to set up both of them being there together, who had? Why was it important to have them both there to see a middleman being killed? Was it a warning for them?

Jack suddenly stopped his train of thought and sat up straight. He had come across an insane idea, but it was persistent enough for him to take him laptop and the disk, which held the all the information from the night in Paris.

He played the tape that recorded the shooting and watched as Irina made her way to the alley, greet the man and then suddenly dash down the alley after the man crumpled to the ground. He didn’t see anything out of the ordinary but still something in the back of his mind told him to keep looking. Watching the tape play for the fifth man, he finally understood what he had missed. The second before Davids was killed Irina had moved slightly to the side.

Right away from the bullet’s trajectory.

It dawned on him that the bullet wasn’t meant for the man but Irina. Somebody had tried to kill her instead, and that somebody had wanted Jack to see it. For a moment worry crept up Jack’s spine but he refused to admit it because being concerned for her well-being wasn’t something he should be doing. But yet a small part of him hoped that whoever wanted Irina dead hadn’t succeeded.

Silently berating himself he realized that once again when Irina was concerned problems arose. That had been like that ever since they met and had continued for over thirty years.

Flashback

Los Angeles, 1971

Jack cursed silently for the fifth time as he was stuck behind another red light. He was late to his class, again. He gave up making up a cover story because whatever it was his lector wouldn’t believe him anyway.

For the last few years he was working for the Central Intelligence Agency. Up until this far, his job at the CIA was strictly behind a desk, for he was not field rated, but three days ago it had changed. He had been sent on a field mission with a senior agent whose job was to break into a manor in Venice where a party was held. A listening device was supposed to be placed in the host’s den, because he was suspected in illegal arms dealing through America. Jack was given orders to observe the party and to alert the agent if something went wrong.

Everything had gone fine until the older agent had been discovered. Jack had to make a quick decision and he disobeyed the orders he had been given. He had left his post and entered the manor the party had been held at. He had found the senior agent being brutally interrogated. Despite him being a field agent he still mastered quite a few fighting techniques, and he had swiftly knocked out the interrogators and freed the agent. They had escaped with minor difficulties and reached their extraction point.

Jack had expected to be reprimanded or even fired but what he hadn’t seen coming was that the senior agent he had rescued had defended Jack’s actions and now the young desk-rated agent was told that he had a series of tests ahead that could make him a field agent. It was a tremendous honour but then again it was very dangerous. Still, serving his country was something he had always wanted to do and now he had a chance to do that in ways he hadn’t thought to be possible.

Finally the red light turned to green and he sped off, probably breaking a few laws. He figured that from the honking horns he heard. He slowed a bit down, for a man who wanted to serve his country shouldn’t cause an accident of the freeway. A few hundred yards ahead he saw a car on the curb. Jack decided that some other driver could help the one in trouble but when he saw a mass of long dark brown hair tangled in the wind as the woman tried to understand what was wrong with the car, he decided to stop. To hell with his lector, he was already too late.

Stopping the car, he got out and started walking towards the woman as cars sped by. Jack saw the woman raise the hood of the car and lean nearer. From what he could see, he observed that the woman was in her early twenties maybe, tall, slim and had waves of dark tresses. He could make out a faint grumble ‘Everything goes wrong in America!’, but he wasn’t sure.

Stepping up to the woman he asked. “Can I help you, Miss?”

The woman hadn’t obviously heard him near as she bolted upright from her position leaning under the hood of the car, and promptly hit her head.

“felgercarb!” She exclaimed and pressed down on the spot where she had hit her head.

“I’m so sorry. Are you alright?” Jack apologized frantically.

“I’m fine, I’m fine.” The woman was still holding her head, but now she turned to look at him for the first time.

Jack was dumbstruck as he looked at the woman before him. She was probably the most beautiful woman he had ever met. Her deep brown eyes were fascinating and it seemed they pierced him as she looked at him. The way she held herself was regal, to say at least, even though she was still clutching her head with one hand. She looked somewhat exotic and he was instantly bewitched.

The young woman’s eyes widened as she looked at the driver who had stopped. She forgot to breathe for one moment and it seemed to Jack that she tensed for a few moments.

“Are you sure?” Jack was still worried that he had caused the woman some bodily injuries.

“Absolutely.” She smiled disarmingly as she came out of her stance. Pulling her hand away from her head and holding it out for inspection she spoke. “No blood or anything.”

“I didn’t mean to scare you.” Jack seemed slightly flustered.

“Oh, you didn’t. I just didn’t hear you. It takes a lot more to scare me.” She on the other hand seemed completely composed.

“I’m Jack by the way. Jack Bristow.” He remembered to introduce himself.

“Laura,” She smiled. “Laura Jefferson.”

“You have problems with the car?” Jack asked turning to the tons of metal people call a car.

“Yeah, and I can’t seem to figure out what’s wrong.” Irina turned to the car. Jack didn’t comment on the woman’s common knowledge of engines, as it probably wouldn’t be welcomed, and turned to the car as well.

End of Flashback

Jack had never made it to class that day, but he did get a phone number on a napkin and encouragement to call. Back then he had thought himself to be the luckiest man on the planet.

Over the years he had never quite figured out whether their first meeting was unplanned or set up. He had spent a number of restless nights pondering over it, but then decided that for the sake of his sanity he should stop.

Jack put the tumbler back to its original place, slightly emptier than it was before, and walked out of the den, turning off the light on his way. He headed towards his bedroom, but something nagged in the back of his mind. Turning around and walking to the living room, he scanned it with his eyes. He almost berated himself for paranoia and turned on his heels, but he saw something out of place on his coffee table.

Drawing his gun from its holster he moved to the kitchen. Silently he berated himself for not being alert before. He figured that whoever was in his apartment wasn’t there anymore, because if they were, he would probably be dead a long time ago. Finally making sure that there was no one in his apartment beside himself, he swiped the apartment for bugs, but found none, which didn’t make sense.

Frowning, he made his way around the furniture and to the aforementioned table and examined the offending object. It seemed like an antique photo album, probably very expensive too. Jack carefully picked up the note and opened it. Calligraphic words adorned it.

‘One can never fully know another, but the only crime would be to stop trying.’

Puzzled by the words, he set down the note and picked up the album. On the front page he saw a black and white photograph of a small child. The words below it made him sit in shock on the recliner behind him. ‘Ирина, 1 месяц’

England

Irina looked at her niece thoughtfully as she was tending the wound on her side. Alex seemed oblivious to the rest of the world and that worried Irina.

“It seems that everything is in order. The stitches are slightly sloppy but considering that you made them yourself, I’m impressed.” Alex finished cleaning the wound and reassembled the first aid kit.

“I told you I was fine.” Irina said calmly as she pulled on a sweater.

“Who’s the one with the MD here?” Alex asked after returning from the bathroom where she had taken the kit. Seeing her aunt scowl a bit, she smiled. “You need to take out the stitches in three to five days and I suggest you use some kind of a scar tissue gel.”

“Alex…” Irina started but the younger woman didn’t stop her speech to listen.

“It prevents the excessive flesh to grow on the wound. Brilliant stuff really.” She picked up the cotton pads she used to sterilise the wound and ditched them into the trash bin in the bathroom.

“Alexandra…” Irina tried again a little louder.

“You should avoid pressure on the wound for the time being, so no insane missions in the near future.” She went on.

Irina walked to Alex and put her hands on her shoulders. “Stop compartmentalizing. You’re allowed to break down, you’re allowed to smash things and you’re allowed to admit that it hurts!” She shook the younger woman’s shoulders a bit.

Alex pulled herself away from Irina with fire in her eyes. “Everybody keep saying that to me. You, aunt Katya, my own mother, who happens to be the queen of closed up.” She said vehemently. “But I can’t!”

“Yes, you can.” Irina insisted.

“No, I can’t. You should understand why.” Alex implored Irina with her eyes to understand, which she did. Irina realized what Alex meant by not being able to break down in fear of opening a door that might never close. The door behind which memories and different emotions accompanying certain memories had been locked away safely for years.

Neatly tucking away everything that hurts is much easier than dealing with your feelings. Shutting that part of yourself off seems like the only way to stay functional, but in reality it was the only way that pushes you towards the point of no return. Irina tethered on that edge and nearly crossed that if there wasn’t Katya to make her face up to her loss. And now Irina saw that Alex was on the exact same spot without realizing it herself.

“I know it’s difficult, but I also know if you don’t deal with your emotions, you’ll lose yourself and your ability to feel.” Irina saw that the younger woman was desperately trying to stay composed.

“You’re speaking in nice metaphors.” Alex responded sarcastically.

“I’m speaking from experience.” Irina shot back emotionlessly.

“When did you break down?” The question was a rhetorical one and Alex didn’t expect an answer.

“You want the first, the tenth or the hundredth time? Because I know every date and time.”

Alex took a step back so her back met the wall and sank down to the floor. She pulled her knees up resting her elbows on them. Her expression was tired but still no tears were seen.

Slowly Irina knelt down before her and tucked a dark brown lock behind Alex’s ear.

“I’m sorry.” Alex said quietly as she dropped her eyes from Irina’s in shame.

The older woman softly took hold of her chin and raised Alex’s head up again and forced her to look at her. “Don’t be, it’s not your fault.” She spoke in hushed tones.

“I shouldn’t have compared our situations, they’re far from equal.” Irina could see that Alex was drowning in guilt.

“In some ways they are. But you truly lost them, I just walked away.”

“But not willingly.”

“No, not willingly.” Irina shook her head softly. Without warning Alex pushed herself away from the wall and enveloped Irina in a desperate crushing hug.

“Why does this family keep losing the people they love?” It wasn’t a question, but rather a sad statement.

“I don’t know, darling. I don’t know.” Irina said with a sigh.

TBC

Translation: ‘Ирина, 1 месяц’ – Irina, 1 month

I'm so happy that you updated again. I always look forward to reading a new chapter of this amazing story.

I had a feeling that it was Irina paying a visit to Jack's place.

I loved the interaction at Vaughn's place. Weiss is so hilarious. :lol: I love the banter between him and Vaughn. I'm glad to see that Sydney took notice of Weiss mentioning her mother. It was hilarious that Will asked for the office gossip, and everything they had to say about Kendall and Marshall too. I'm happy that Vaughn asked Sydney to move in with him.

I feel so bad for Alex. Seems like she's really been through hell, and I assume she lost her boyfriend/fiancé/husband and daughter. No wonder she is the way she is at times.

I loved the part about Jack. It's great that he realized that the bullet was meant for Irina, and that he hoped she was still alive. The flashback was great. Somehow I think from Irina's reaction when she saw Jack, that she knew from a picture that he was her mark, but that this meeting was unplanned. It was great that he thought that he should've been more thorough checking out his apartment when he got home, when he had a feeling that something was wrong, and I loved his reaction when he realized that the album contained pictures of Irina. I look forward to seeing where this goes in the future. Perfect note to go with the photo album.

Beautiful conversation Irina and Alex had. They've both been through so much pain, so it's great that they can lean on each other when they're willing to open up. I hope Alex will get stronger over time, even though she's suffered a major loss. Maybe she could get together with Will or Weiss.

I love the characterizations of each character in this story and how great they interact with each other.

Beautiful update and can't wait until the next one. :smiley:

Great update,

I loved the interactions in Vaughn's kitchen :lol:
I liked the fact that Jack admitted to himself that he cares for Irinas' well being :rolleyes:
Great flashback, I absoloutly think that the first meeting between them (Jack and Irina/Laura) was by accident - I think like Mette said, that Irina regionized Jack from her file on him, and that she was suprised and chocked to see him.
I loved the note that was delivered with the photo album, it said so much without saying it directly - but I'm not quite sure that it was Irina, who planted the gift :thinking:
The conversation between Alex and Irina really hurt, but in a good way, Alex needs to know that she is not alone in her grief and that she is allowed to breakdown...I'm sure that the conversation was just as painful for Irina as it was for Alex :sorry: but they need to use eachother to get better.

Thanks for the PM, I greatly await the next ;)

A/N: Thank you for all of your lovely comments! I feel awful for not posting sooner, but I was just swamped. Although this chapter has unfairly no Irina, look out for more J/I in the next updates. And with that a lot of UST! :rolleyes:

Chapter 12

Unknown location

Arvin Sloane paced between the well-stocked desk and wide French doors, which gave a spectacular view of the ocean, clearly distraught. The course of his search had brought nothing but useless trips to him. None of the people he had met knew what else was hidden in the Rambaldi manuscripts. Make no mistakes, Sloane was absolutely positive that there was something hidden. And although he would tip his hat to Milo Rambaldi for designing such mysteries that unravelled layer by layer without any signs of stopping, the fact that he had got no closer to revealing the final endgame frustrated him to no end.

He had dedicated his whole life to this mystery and he still couldn’t understand what was yet to discover. He had dedicated everything: his loyalty to his country, his friends and even his wife. But it seemed like it wasn’t enough. He had to give more, he just couldn’t figure out what.

Sighing, he sat down behind his desk and picked up a picture of his late wife Emily. “You should be here by my side. But you were unfairly taken away from me. If you were here, you would understand all of this. You would understand all of its glory. Even if you didn’t agree with my methods, you would understand.”

For a few moments Sloane just looked at the picture of his deceased wife. Then he returned it to its rightful place and picked up his phone. He dialled a familiar number and waited.

“Hello.”

“Start Phase 3.” Without any hellos or goodbyes he started and ended the call within four seconds.

He pondered whether his course of action was right or not, but dismissed it soon enough. The means would justify the cause in the end.

~~

Los Angeles, Jack Bristow’s residence

It was hours past midnight but Jack was still sitting in the armchair in his living room. All fatigue he had felt before had dissipated and the alcohol in his system did nothing to dull his mind. He hadn’t determined yet whether it was a good thing or not.

All of his attention was locked on the photo album that sat on the coffee table before him. Jack knew that just staring at the thing would do no good, but strangely he couldn’t force himself up from the armchair. He was also very aware of the fact that the responsible thing for him to do would be to take the afore-mentioned album to the office forensics team. They would be sure to find something from it to give them a clue, but still he stayed where he was: staring at the album as if looking at it long enough it would develop lips and talk to him. But if it hadn’t done that during the past few hours, it wouldn’t do that at all.

A small voice in the back of his mind reminded him that if he kept that album from the CIA, it would be somehow sabotaging their mission to apprehend nr. 6 on the Most Wanted List. But for the moment he ignored the voice.

Jack knew the contents of the album by heart already. He knew the number of pictures: 47, he knew the exact order of them and he knew almost every detail on them because for the last four, maybe five, hours he had stared at them, every detail burning its way into his memory. He memorised the photos accidentally and it angered him.

If he were honest with himself, he would admit that he didn’t know every picture because he was an experienced agent, but rather because on every picture there was Irina.

On every damned picture.

Jack realized hours ago that those small images would stay imprinted in his brain. He knew he would never be able to forget those little glimpses of a woman who he once proudly called his wife. They would stay there forever.

Forever mocking him.

Forever reminding him of all the betrayals.

Forever reminding him of his mistakes.

And forever reminding him of what could have been if he feelings had been real.

About two hours previous he had considered that Irina herself had left that damned photo album at his house. ‘She would certainly have no problems getting past your so-called security system, Bristow.’ The treacherous part of his brain supplied. But he soon dismissed that thought as illogical and completely unnecessary. She certainly hadn’t been voluntarily offering information about her personal life to the CIA or him.

Jack had read some of her interrogation transcripts, few she allowed without reminding her only condition about communicating only with Sydney. She had been very reluctant about revealing information of her family in Russia. She had told them relatively nicely to forget any possibility of her talking to them about anything other than her organization and contacts, and then stonewalled them for the next three hours of the interrogation. Jack almost had felt sorry for the agents who were forced to coerce info from her during sessions like those. Almost.

He had nearly cracked a smile when he had read the futile attempts of the young unworldly agents to make the legendary Irina Derevko talk. Jack could imagine Irina’s amusement during those sessions; they had been her only chance to find entertainment.

So Irina was one of the unlikely suspects, but then again he doubted that she would ever pass up a chance to screw with his mind. So far she hadn’t.

The idea of Sloane leaving this ‘present’ had crossed his mind, but that thought disturbed him too much to ponder over it for too long. Somehow Sloane trying to bring Jack and Irina together was simply sickening.

Because Jack viewed this incident as someone’s attempt to smooth the relationship between him and Irina. Whoever had it been, wanted them to be less hostile towards each other. Remembering the last time he and Irina met, that was not that likely. Also, this person had to be quite close to his wife-- ex-wife.

Jack was so enthralled by the mental debate he was having with himself that he almost missed the constant ringing of his cell phone. As he was searching for the annoyingly ringing item, he briefly wondered why anyone would be calling him at three am, which he calculated to be the estimated time.

“Bristow.” He answered the phone that he had finally found.

“Jack, it’s Michael Vaughn, I’m sorry to call so late but there’s a problem.” The young man apologized.

“Mr. Vaughn, can’t it wait?” Jack wasn’t very impressed with his daughter’s admirer at that particular moment.

“No, it can’t! Sydney’s missing!” He sounded nearly hysterical.

“What do you mean missing?” Jack unconsciously pulled all his body into full height as a wave of worry coursed through him.

“She went for a run hours ago but hasn’t returned.”

“She want for a run at three am?” Jack’s tone was incredulous.

“No, she went for a run at ten and told by that she should be back in an hour or two, three at max. She sometimes takes long runs, but it has been five hours. Something’s wrong.” Jack could hear from the man’s erratic breathing that he was pacing impatiently.

“Have you tried calling her?”

“She never takes her phone or pager with her when she goes for a late run.” Jack decided not to ask how the younger agent knew Sydney’s patterns.

“Call the Agency and then go look for her in the neighbourhood. I’ll be there soon.” He snapped his phone shut and headed towards the door, grabbing his keys and an overcoat.

Somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean

Gradually coming out of unconsciousness and becoming more aware of her surroundings, Sydney felt slightly nauseous and dizzy. Her mind was still foggy and she didn’t understand where she was and how had she got there. All she could grasp was the fact she was lying on something hard and cold, and she couldn’t move her arms. After a few moments she deduced that she was strapped down on something and was probably in an aircraft of some kind, because everything was slightly shaking.

Her head softly banged down on the surface she was lying on and she moaned. Sydney sensed another presence through the haze she was in and felt slightly panicked. She tugged on her restraints but they were unyielding. Before she could do anything further she felt a pinprick on her arm and the darkness returned.

Los Angeles, Joint Task Force

It was morning, but the Joint Task Force was in full activity. Sydney’s disappearance had sprung everyone into action. Jack had quickly taken control and assigned everyone with a task. Marshall and Carrie were analysing the street cameras in ten-mile radius of Vaughn’s apartment with a few other technicians. Dixon and Weiss were supposed to act immediately if Marshall or Carrie found anything from the tapes. Vaughn was informing Langley at their situation.

Will had convinced Jack that he had to let him help, because he couldn’t sit at home and do nothing when his best friend was missing. The argument that Sydney would do anything to help, if the situation was reversed, had made Jack concede. So, Will was situated behind a computer and reviewing Sydney’s latest missions.

Everybody had a pretty good idea who had taken Sydney, but no one was brave enough to say it out loud. Whenever Jack walked out of his office, almost all eyes glanced at him, trying to see the level of concern he had, but no one could read his expression.

Dixon watched Jack cross the room and pondered slightly over Jack and Sydney’s relationship. He had seen it evolve during the last two years. He had seen the progress those two had made, but also the setbacks. One of the biggest was surely when Sydney had discovered about Project Christmas. At first he couldn’t understand how Jack could have done something like that to his own daughter, but after a little time he realized why. Jack Bristow wouldn’t allow his daughter to be the victim; he wouldn’t allow anyone hurt his daughter. When at first Project Christmas had seemed like a monstrous thing to Dixon, he soon realized that after learning that his wife had been a Russian spy, Jack had decided to do the only thing he thought that would protect his daughter.

He had also seen the ongoing progress Sydney and her father had made. He had seen how they had grown to trust each other and their decisions. They had become more comfortable around each other, but they hadn’t reached the ‘normal relation’ status yet.

The one thing that had rocked the father-daughter relationship was clearly Irina Derevko. Although Dixon was working at SD-6 for the most time she was in custody, he had quickly learned about the mission to Kashmir, about the hope both Sydney and Jack had had for Irina and about the mission where Irina Derevko had once again duped everyone.

Dixon considered Jack as a friend. Not exactly the friend you go out to shoot pool, but rather the friend who you trust your life with. And Dixon did trust Jack to cover his back in the field. Always had, always would, because Jack had the experience most agents could almost dream of. He was simply one of the best agents Dixon knew.

While Marshall and probably many others hadn’t figured out how Jack had planted the passive transmitter on Irina, Dixon had quickly figured it out from Jack’s expression. Or more exactly: the lack of it. Because if nothing had happened between Jack and Irina in Panama, Jack would have had a retort to Marshall’s question, but he didn’t, he just gave the poor man a look that would make the bravest men to run for the hills.

When Diane had died, Dixon had tried to put himself in Jack’s situation. He tried to imagine what he would feel if Diane had been a foreign spy sent there to betray him. Although, Dixon couldn’t start to imagine what Jack had felt, he thought that after years of loving someone so completely as Jack had, no one could cut them out of their hearts, even after twenty years. Because of that Dixon knew that his friend still had feelings for one of the most wanted persons in the world, he just hoped it didn’t destroy him like it had the last time.

As Dixon watched Jack walk through the main room, he felt sorry for whoever was on the receiving end of Jack Bristow’s wrath.

Unknown location

Once again the fogginess receded and Sydney woke up from the chemically induced sleep. She felt her head pounding, probably because of whatever drug they knocked her out with. Deciding that appearing to be still unconscious would give her the advantage of more clear thoughts and actions, she kept her breathing even. During those minutes she realized that she was on solid ground because everything wasn’t shaking anymore. Also noticing that she wasn’t lying down anymore, but tied to a chair.

Finally she was awake enough to face whoever had captured her, she opened her eyes and pushed herself more upright. Surprisingly there was no one in the same room with her, which concerned her a little. The room didn’t seem very large and was very dimly lit, so she could make out vague outlines of the walls.

Sydney heard the door being opened and craned her neck to look at them. She felt strangely unsurprised when she saw her capturer.

“Hello, Sydney.”

TBC

Chapter 13

Previously…

Sydney heard the door being opened and craned her neck to look at them. She felt strangely unsurprised when she saw her capturer.

“Hello, Sydney.”

Sydney watched as her kidnapper made his way to the middle of the room before speaking. “Sloane.”

“I’m truly sorry for the conditions you were brought here but I knew you wouldn’t come to me voluntarily.” He spoke as a man who had all the time in the world.

“Where am I?” Sydney asked lowly, her eyes never leaving Sloane.

“That is not important at the moment.” He looked at her, scanning her for mistreatment. When he found none, he continued. “I see that you weren’t hurt in anyway, while transported here. That’s good.” His voice took a slightly paternal voice.

“What do you want from me?” Sydney asked, trepidation growing by every minute.

“All in good time. I don’t trust you to try to escape as soon as you are free of your bonds, so you’ll stay that way for now, but if you behave nicely, you’ll be free from that chair.” Sloane made a vague gesture with his hands.

“You can’t keep me here!” Sydney let anger creep into her voice.

“I’ll see you in the morning, Sydney.” With that he walked out of the room. The door was shut and various locking mechanisms were turned on.

Sydney felt anger surge in her and she yanked at her restraints impatiently. Feeling that they were as tight as the previous ones, she stilled. When her eyes were quite adjusted to the dimness, she looked around and saw that the room wasn’t as small as she had assessed. It was quite large behind her back. With disdain she realized that it was almost barren from any objects she could use as a weapon or as help in getting out of this place. If she even got out of this chair which seemed unrealistic as her wrists and ankles were tied down and the chair was bolted to the floor.

The possibility of escaping this place any time soon became smaller by every passing minute. She was completely secured to the chair in a room from which was very hard to get out of because there were no windows she could see and the door didn’t have a knob on this side, she was god knows where, probably in another country in the mercy of Arvin Sloane.

As the last of her anger slipped away, Sydney felt completely helpless. She wasn’t used to the feeling, because whatever situation she had got herself into, she had always had a chance of escaping, but this wasn’t one of them. She felt tears pricking at the back of her eyes, but she blinked rapidly to stop them from falling. She wouldn’t cry, she wouldn’t give him the satisfaction.

Rome, Italy

Irina stepped out of the car and immediately pulled a pair of sunglasses to cover her eyes. She subtly looked around, more out of routine that actual danger. Then she looked at the house before her. ‘Gioelli’ was written in bold letters over the door and through the windows on could see the quite expensive jewellery put out.

Irina tugged slightly at the jacket of her white pantsuit she was wearing. Confidently walking in she attracted quite a few glances but she ignored them and walked to one of the glass panes and carelessly looked at the different gold, silver and platinum jewellery.

The clerk who had seen her enter, a young girl, rushed to the back and reappeared after a few minutes behind a short and slightly rotund man. He seemed around fifty and that was punctuated by a receding hairline. Despite the warm weather he was wearing a dark suit and seemed to be perspiring slightly.

“Mrs. Scavo?” He asked hopefully as he approached.

Irina turned around and smiled. “Mr. Puccenelli.” She stretched her hand out to shake.

“Welcome to my humble store.” Salvatore Puccenelli bowed slightly, took Irina’s hand and kissed it.

“I’m sorry I was late, I had to convince my husband that buying a new suit for his only daughter’s wedding was necessary. Alberto is so stubborn at times.” She sighed and shook her head in exasperation, stressing her Italian accent.

“That’s the problem with us men.” Puccenelli laughed slightly.

“I’ve noticed that. My future son-in-law is just like my Alberto was when we got married, but Alberto keeps saying that the boy is horrible.” Irina rolled her eyes dramatically.

“Fathers tend to be over-protective of their only daughters and feel that no man will ever be good enough for their little girls.” He explained.

“You have children?” She inquired.

“Yes, two sons.” Fatherly pride shined through his answer.

“I’m sure they’re as charming as their father.” Irina said leaning a little closer to the jeweller.

“Mrs. Scavo.” He smiled, clearly flattered. “Now, one the phone you said you were looking for something very special.

“My only daughter is getting married and I want to give her something she would cherish her whole life.” Irina explained as Puccenelli walked her through the shop and to one of the glass panes under which different kinds of jewellery was placed.

“I’m sure we can find something like that here. Were you thinking earrings, a bracelet or a necklace?” He asked turning to her when they were a little further from other customers.

“I’m not sure, but I was thinking of an antique locket or a necklace of some kind.” She said.

“Then let’s find the perfect wedding gift for your daughter.” The next fifteen minutes were spent examining various antique necklaces, lockets and earrings. Since Puccenelli thought Mrs. Marta Scavo was a wealthy wife of a diplomat, he showed her only the best and the most beautiful jewellery he had.

“I really liked the one with the sapphire, but I’m not very sure. I’ve had this image in my head for quite some time. A silver locket with Greek engraving and with small diamonds framing the pictures.” Irina described a piece of jewellery she knew Puccenelli had in his private collection. “I know it’s probably impossible to find anything like that. You see, my husband’s grandmother had a locket like that and my daughter loved it when she saw the pictures. I would pay anything to get something similar to that.”

The man’s face lit up as he heard her describe the locket. “Mrs. Scavo, I don’t usually do this, but I happen to have a locket similar to the one you described in my private collection. Normally nothing from there is for sale, but maybe if we can agree on a proper price…” He trailed off.

“That would be absolutely fantastic!” Irina exclaimed.

“That price would be higher than others in here, because it has some sentimental value.” Irina wanted to raise an eyebrow at that. The man probably had no sentimental attachments to it, he just wanted a higher price, but she played along.

“Of course, that’s more than reasonable.”

“Follow me then.” He led her through the area, prohibited for customers. They descended some stairs, underground and came to a halt in front of a steel door, which to an untrained eye looked impossible to break. But Irina managed to recognize at least three weak points in the security system. “I don’t usually don’t allow customers near my personal collection but I can make an exception.” He said and turned to the door. He punched in a nine-digit combination, which Irina silently memorized.

The heavy door slowly slid open and he directed her inside. There she saw various highly valuable pieces of jewellery and, much to her surprise, art. “You have a magnificent collection, Mr. Puccenelli.” Irina said, actually impressed. “Do you mind, if I look around a bit?” She gave him a smile that could make ice melt and he relented.

“I guess there’s no harm in looking.” He shrugged good-naturedly.

Irina turned to inspect the various shelved of display. She noticed that everything was locked behind a bulletproof glass. She let her eyes glide over the room and saw wires from the shelves run to a big metallic square, which looked like an electricity junction box. Slowly walking around the room, she let her eyes glide over the display and she finally found the opals she was looking for. Not stopping, she walked further and stopped in front of a painting.

“Is that Picasso?” She asked, inspecting the painting a little closer.

“Yes, it is. You know your art, Mrs. Scavo.” Puccenelli walked to her and mirrored her position.

“I have always been attracted to art, I even studied art history in university.” She said and turned a little to look at the man.

“A woman of fine taste. Then you would appreciate this.” He opened a box he held. Inside laid a beautiful locket with soft engravings. Soft script adorned its surface and it looked like fresh out of a fairytale. If Irina were there with the intent of buying jewellery, she would pay a high price for it, but that was not the time.

“It looks just like the one my mother-in-law has.” She placed her right hand on the man’s bicep as she leaned closer to look at the necklace.

“That’s good.” Puccenelli’s smile faltered as his world started to spin. Then he started to sway on his feet and lost consciousness.

Irina watched as the man fell to the ground. Then she turned the ring on her right hand back around and closed it.

Then she rushed to the electric box and picked the lock on it. She opened the door and she switched the main switch. Hearing a faint click, she stealthily moved to the display, which held the opals. Carefully she lifted the glass and took them out. She put the opals in her bag and repositioned the glass. Then she wiped it clean from fingerprints and any possible traces and returned to the wiring box.

The displays closed again and after making sure there was no sign of foul play, Irina walked out of the safe. She rushed up the stairs and then shouted. “Help! Help!”

A store clerk rushed to her and before he could ask what was wrong she said in a rushed voice. “He just fell to the ground. I don’t know what happened! One minute he was showing me the locket and the next he dropped to the ground as if he were dead. You’ve got to help him!” She used the distraction that people started scurrying around her in slight panic, and slipped out of the store and dropped into the waiting car.

As soon as she closed the door, the car sped off. Irina waited until they had turned a corner and then relaxed into her seat. Then she reached into her bags and pulled out one of the opals. Examining it, she saw nothing that would different it from any other opals. It was quite small and was exactly as Arthur had described it. She sighed and put it back into her bag.

Los Angeles, the next day

Sunlight peered through the curtain and right onto a peacefully sleeping Alex. Groaning, she turned away and tried to fall back to sleep, but no avail. Huffing she finally kicked down the covers and stood up. Stretching, she walked to the bathroom and grabbed a brush from the sink. While pulling her long dark brown hair into a ponytail she noticed that the clock was just a little after nine.

Alex had got back to Los Angeles just the previous night, more exactly during the early morning hours around three a.m. Instead of another try of sleeping off the jet lag, she headed down stairs and into the kitchen. She put on the coffee and the walked into the living room. She located her laptop and took it back with her to the kitchen. Setting it on the kitchen table, she pushed the newspapers aside and the booted it.

While waiting for it to be ready, she went through the contents of her refrigerator and wrinkled her nose in distaste. There was barely anything edible in there, but she managed to find some decent bread and other ingredients necessary for a sandwich. The coffee machine beeped, signalling that it was finished and Alex poured herself a big mug of coffee. Sitting down behind the table she sipped her coffee, grimacing as it scalded her mouth a bit.

Unexpectedly she heard her self-phone ringing unrelentingly somewhere outside the kitchen. Sighing, she stood up and started to hunt for it in her living room. Finally finding it from under some cushions. She frowned, as she had no recollection of putting it there, she flipped it open.

“Yes.” She answered. “What?”

Alex listened to the speaker on the other side, her face darkening by the moment. Promptly ten seconds later she snapped her phone shut and walked to the kitchen worried. She turned the laptop facing her and typed in a few commands. While the page was loading, she dialled a familiar number.

After a flurry of phone calls, she had enough information to understand what had happened. Sydney had vanished into thin air the previous night and nobody knew anything.

Alex sat back on the chair and rubbed her temples. She figured that no one else than Arvin Sloane had kidnapped Sydney. Although her niece had many other enemies, it would have been too random for it to be anyone else. The fact that Sloane had decided on this drastic action meant that he was done waiting and decided that Sydney was the one who could help him reveal Rambaldi’s endgame. Sloane had been pushed to the level that he cared for nothing or no one anymore, not even Sydney, and Alex was sure that he would do anything to solve the Rambaldi puzzle. Arvin Sloane was a loose canon with a weapon that could possibly mean the end of the world.

Picking up her phone, she dialled a number and waited it to ring. “Hello.”

“It’s me.” Alex said.

“Morning, Alex.” Irina said evenly.

“Did you get the opals?” She asked before returning to the serious matter at the hand.

“Yes, I have them in my possession. I’ll have Julian tell Sloane that he has the missing pieces of the Mueller device and he’ll hand them over to him on one condition: that he gets to see Sloane activate the device.” Irina explained the plan that had been hatched long ago.

“We have a problem.” Alex cut in. “Sydney is missing.”

“What?” Irina asked warily.

“Probably kidnapped by Sloane. She went missing around midnight. The CIA has no information about her disappearance, but they suspect Sloane for he has the motive.” Alex quickly rambled off all the information she had at that moment. “I’m going to make a few more phone calls, but since my contacts are severely outnumbered by yours, I doubt that I’ll find something you won’t be able to find.” There was silence from both sides of the connection. “Do you think he might harm her?” Alex asked tentatively.

“I don’t think it’s likely.” Irina said evenly. “He thinks she’s the Chosen One and will help him reach his goal. She will be unharmed but not safe with him.”

“Can you get in touch with Julian?” The younger woman asked.

“Yes, I’ll contact him. Our safety protocols aren’t that important anymore. As long as Sloane was still tentative about acquiring information about Rambaldi and his works, it was important that Julian would not be connected to me in any way. But now when Sloane has obviously got impatient and irregular, it doesn’t matter anymore. He won’t be putting that much focus on security breaches anymore.”

“Alright. I’ll try to gather as much information as I can.” Alex was already mentally cataloguing the people who she would contact first.

“Good. When you find out something, call your mother.” With that Irina ended the call, without as much as a goodbye.

“What? Irina?” Alex spoke to the dial tone in obvious confusion. She realized that her aunt had hung up on her and pulled the device from her ear. She stared at it for a while and then tossed it on the table. Turning back to the laptop she started typing furiously.

Unknown location

Someone knocked on the wooden door of Sloane’s temporary office. He looked up from his computer and called whoever was on the other side to come in. When he saw his young colleague, he leaned back in his chair and entwined his fingers, leaning his chin on them.

“Mr. Sark. What can I do for you?” He asked in a satisfied voice.

“Mr. Sloane,” Julian said respectably, for he was known for his impeccable manners. “I don’t believe kidnapping Sydney Bristow was in our agenda. At least not at such an early stages of our investigation.” He said after he had walked to the older man’s desk and stood in front of it.

The man’s straightforwardness surprised the older man for a second. “I did what was necessary. Sydney was becoming too much of a risk for me. I have no doubt that she would have caught up with me at some point, possibly before our investigation would be finished and that would have been a great loss. I could not allow that. Besides I firmly believe that she is the key to discovering Rambaldi’s endgame.” Sloane explained in an almost soothing tone.

“You said that Sydney and Jack are hindered by their ties to the CIA and would not be an obstacle in our way.” Julian challenged.

“It is true that Sydney and her father are tied down by the CIA, but I could not allow her to become a potential threat to me when we’re so close to discovering the endgame.”

“That may be true, but you surely know that Sydney always seems to have quite a cavalry that has come to her rescue every time.”

“They have no idea where she is and even if they suspect me, then they won’t find me.” Sloane waved his hand dismissively.

“I hope you’re sure about that.” Julian said bowing his head slightly and then turned to leave. “They have had quite a success at that particular activity.”

Ignoring the younger man’s comment, Sloane stopped him. “Mr. Sark, would you be so kind and take Sydney her dinner. She must be hungry.”

“I don’t believe she will eat anything offered from us.” Julian narrowed eyes slightly.

“She will eventually.” Sloane said decisively, making Julian wonder how long would Sloane be willing to keep Sydney there against her will.

Julian took the prepared supper from the cook that had somehow travelled with Sloane and headed to the room where she was detained. Julian viewed the security measures around the room and saw that it would be almost impossible to get past those without the proper codes for the mechanical locks.

The door finally opened and Julian carried the tray inside. It took a few moments for his eyes to adjust to the dimness. Looking around the room he saw Sydney handcuffed to a metal chair in the middle of the room. She looked quite confused and she closed her eyes at the sudden bright light that filled the room.

The room itself was bare of any other objects that the chair and even that was secured to the floor. So Sloane had learned his lesson, Julian smirked internally.

Sydney snapped her head up and looked at the newcomer. When she realized who it was she once again felt resigned instead of surprised. It made perfect sense that Sark was working with Sloane. A dog looking for a new master.

“Good evening, Ms Bristow.” Julian said, offering her a little information.

“Sark.” Sydney said. She straightened her back and lifted her chin in defiance.

“Would you want some dinner?” He lifted the tray just a bit.

Sydney eyed it for a second. She had to admit, her stomach demanded food and the offering looked delicious at that moment, but she wouldn’t eat anything given to her by Sloane or Sark. Her training wouldn’t allow that and neither would her pride. “No thank you.” She mustered as much malice into those words as she could.

“I understand your reluctance to accept anything offered from me,” Julian set down the tray on the floor. “But I must advise you to eat and gather your strength.”

Sydney frowned a little at the tone of his voice. The true gentleness of his voice instead of the usual sarcasm was startling. She didn’t say anything, just stared at him. “At least have some water. You know you need it.” Julian pressed.

Sydney watched as he took the glass from the tray and walked over to her. “Don’t be stubborn, Sydney. You’ll need all of your strength.” He lifted the glass to her lips, half expecting her to send him to hell.

Much to his surprise Sydney relented and drank the offered water. When she was done he stepped back. “Once again: do you wish dinner.” Julian tilted his head towards the tray.

“What I want is to be let free.” Sydney hissed through clenched teeth.

“I’m sorry, but that is not possible. Not yet.” He shook his head.

“Where am I?” She asked another question with the same hostility.

“I cannot give you that answer, but I advise you to get some rest. You’ll need it.” With that he picked up the tray and walked out of the room.

“Wait-” Sydney started but the door already slammed shut and bolts were pushed into place.

Sydney sighed in desperation and slumped back into her chair. Slowly wiggling her wrists and ankles in their bonds, she hoped that circulation wouldn’t be completely cut off.

Craning her neck both sides, she tried to lessen the tension and also look around in the room. After seeing that there was only one room in and out of the room once again, she closed her eyes and groaned softly.

Sydney had no idea what Sloane might want to do with her. She doubted that she would be leaving this place alive, if Sloane had his way. He might show his twisted version of fatherly care, but it was clear that he wouldn’t hesitate ending her life if it meant having his way.

Two days later, CIA Joint Task Force

After two days of searching any clues to Sydney’s whereabouts there was nothing to go on. No leads, no traces – no nothing. It had frustrated the team unbearably.

Vaughn felt mentally and physically exhausted but he refused to rest. Instead he had taken his anger out on a poor gym bag in the exercising area.

Jack on the other hand was looking as serene as ever, at least on the outside. Vaughn would have trouble believing that Jack felt any worry at all, if he hadn’t seen the worry in Jack’s eyes during the early morning hours, but even that had been covered up very quickly.

“Vaughn!”

Weiss and Will rushing to him shook him out of his reverie.

“What?” Vaughn asked puzzled.

“Look.” The man thrust a folder to Vaughn’s hands. He opened it and let his eyes glide over the words.

“Is this legit?” He looked up at Will.

“Seems that way.” He barely got to finish his sentence before Vaughn half-ran to Jack’s office.

Forgetting knocking he burst into his office, earning himself a death glare from Jack who was on the phone. He ended the call and stood up. “I already heard.” He said and walked around his desk. “Briefing room in fifteen minutes.” Grabbing the sheet from Vaughn’s hands, Jack ordered the younger man who just nodded.

Fifteen minutes later all agents who combined the lead team of the Task Force were gathered in the briefing room.

“Barely half an hour ago we received Intel revealing that our French allies have apprehended a man wanted for many crimes in various countries in Europe. For a more lenient punishment he agreed to tell everything without restrictions.” Jack began as the last agent entered. “For the guaranteed safety of his daughter he revealed information which was instantly sent to us.” He paused. “For the past year he has been working for Arvin Sloane, more intensively during these past months. He said he knows where Sloane, his artefacts and Sydney is located.”

“He just offered that kind of information on a silver plate?” Kendall asked suspiciously.

“Apparently he wants his daughter to be free of all his crimes and for her to have a safe life. How much of that is true, no one can tell.” Jack said in a neutral voice.

“Has the information been confirmed by the French authorities?” Dixon asked.

“No, they just passed on the Intel. They have no intention of investigating it further, at least not before everything they want from his has been revealed.” Jack responded.

“What if this a set-up? Someone conveniently is apprehended and they offer all of their contacts and possessions to authorities.” Kendall jibed sarcastically, as he flipped through the file in front of him.

“This is the biggest lead we have on Sydney’s disappearance and on Sloane’s location. I believe we should go on this info and risk with the chance that it is a trap.” Jack said decisively.

“Do we have a specific location?” Weiss asked.

“Not yet, Marshall’s working on it-” Jack couldn’t finish his sentence because the aforementioned man practically flew through the door.

“I’ve got it!” Marshall was too excited to see the curious looks on the agents’ faces at his sudden entrance.

“The exact location?” Jack questioned as he took the file the small man offered him.

“Yes, it’s in Taiwan.” Marshall tried to catch his breath.

“Marshall, Will, you’re our satellite support from Los Angeles. Vaughn, Weiss, Dixon: the plane leaves in an hour.” Jack ordered.

TBC

A/N: Thank you for the reviews! :grinning:

Chapter 14

Los Angeles

Alex steered her car through the traffic on the freeway. All those cars seemed to be moving in a snail’s pace to her. When a red light replaced a green one, she hit the breaks disappointedly. While waiting for the damned light to change again, she grabbed her phone from the passenger seat and hit speed dial.

After four rings, it was picked up. “Your ticket and passport are waiting for you at the airport.” Elena Derevko started without introductions.

“If I can get through this horrid traffic, I’ll even be on time.” Alex glanced at the rear way mirror and saw that the line behind her had grown from ten to twenty.

“You’re never on time Alex.” Her mother’s slightly amused sentence did nothing to calm her.

“I’m going to pretend that you didn’t say that.” The red light finally turned green. “Finally.” She accelerated and passed a few cars from a five-inch distance. “Have you heard from Irina?” Alex asked.

“Yes, I didn’t exactly understand what she said, but she contacted with Julian and my sister doesn’t want to wait, but rather skin Sloane alive and immediately.” Elena huffed.

“I find no problem with that plan.” Alex said innocently.

“Well, I do. Sloane’s present location is very deserted and highly protected. Julian said that he had a small army of heavily armed men.” The older woman said evenly.

“Since when has that situation been a problem to you, mother?” Alex asked coyly.

“I’m not going to get into that debate with you.” Elena said determinedly, because she knew that getting into an argument with her daughter on that subject would be quite disturbing.

“We’ll discuss that later.” Alex said with a voice that held promise of a conversation in the near future. “Tell me exactly where am I going?” She changed the subject.

“Taiwan.” Her mother answered.

Over the Indian Ocean, some hours later

Jack laid out a huge map on the floor of the compartment, as it was the only place large enough. “Alright. This is the general area.” He motioned his hand to the middle of the map.

“It seems rather barren.” Dixon commented.

“It is. There’s not a populated place in a twenty mile vicinity, which is rare.” Jack agreed.

“Do we have a more precise map?” Vaughn asked.

“Not right now. When we land, Marshall will send us the exact coordinates and satellite images.” Jack explained.

“What’s our escape route?” Dixon inquired and looked dutifully as Jack explained it to the team.

Taiwan, unspecified location

Irina was immersed in a set of area maps. She looked at them, drawing lines and understanding locations in her mind. Her dedication to understanding the maps however didn’t cloud her and she heard the warehouse door to her left creak open.

Making no movement indication that she heard anything, she kept her head down and seemingly still reading the papers in front of her, while actually looking at the newcomer. Soon enough Irina recognized the familiar gait of her sister and relaxed back into her seat.

“Those the plans?” Katya asked, getting right to the point.

“Yes, Julian just sent them.” Irina looked at her sister.

“Are you sure you want to do this now?” Katya asked as she sat next to her.

“I won’t leave Sydney at the mercy of Arvin Sloane.” Irina’s tone was resolute and allowed no arguments.

Katya merely nodded and dragged some of the maps nearer to her. “Where is the easiest entrance point?” She ignored the thankful look Irina gave her; they both had reputations to hold.

~~

Outside Sloane’s facilities

“Raptor to Base Camp, we’re in position.” Jack said through the com links.

“Base Camp to Raptor, hear you loud and clear.” He heard Marshall answer him.

“Any movement around us?” Jack asked as he motioned for Weiss and Vaughn to spread out.

“None, move on according to plan.”

“Move in, we’re in the clear.” Jack ordered his companions.

The four men made their way to the set of warehouses in the distance of 400 yards. Entering the sewage tunnels, as it was the best entryway they could find at such short notice, Jack clamped down the memory of Kashmir and another mission a few months back.

Once inside the facility, they encountered three guards, who they took down quietly without any noise. Moving along a dark corridor they followed Marshall’s instructions from Los Angeles. When the hallway came to it’s end, Jack motioned for his team to stop.

“Sydney’s right around the corner in a cell. There are two guards in front of the door.” Marshall explained.

Jack motioned for Dixon to move with him and within merely seven seconds both guards slumped to the ground unconscious. They moved to the door, but saw that there was a mechanical locking system they were completely unaware of.

“Marshall, did Henderson say anything about the alarm system on the door?” Jack asked the man.

“What alarm system?” Was his only response.

“It’s probably connected to some alarm system and will alert everyone if we try to interfere.” Dixon said as he examined the door closer.

“There has to be some way to go around it without disturbing the alarms.” Vaughn said.

“For that you need this.”

All men turned around swiftly training their guns on the speaker. She held her hands up in to show them she wasn’t a threat.

“Your guy won’t be able to surpass the system from LA.” Alex spoke calmly; very aware of the fact the she was in the shooting range of four high-powered rifles.

“Who are you?” Vaughn asked, tightening the grip he had on his weapon.

“The help you need.” She answered.

“You work for Sloane?” Jack asked icily.

“No, I don’t.” Alex answered, hiding her smile, as she was face-to-face with her aunt’s husband.

“Then why are you here?” Dixon asked suspiciously.

“The same reason you are: separate Sydney from the little troll.” Alex said in an even tone.

If the situation had been different, it would have earned a smile from Vaughn. “How do we know you’re not working for Sloane?”

“If I was, you’d be either dead or defeated by his men by now.” Alex decided she had enough of being the sitting duck. “Listen to me, it won’t be long until Sloane figures that there are intruders to his facilities, we need to work fast.” She left out that the four men weren’t the only intruders to this place.

“Fine.” Jack agreed after a few moments of silence and lowered his weapon, prompting the other agents to do the same.

“You’re sure it will go around the system without activating it?” Weiss asked with a little trepidation as he saw the young woman move to the door, digging out a small device that looked like an MP3-player.

“There’s only one way to find out.” She said shrugging her shoulders and placed the machine to the control panel.

Luckily no alarms were heard and after waiting a few minutes, Alex took the device back and tried the door. It relented and opened. She took a flashlight from her pocket and lighted the room behind the door. With relief she saw Sydney, bound and disoriented, but still alive.

Alex let the four men into the room and watched as they worked on freeing her.

“Dad?” Sydney slowly recognized one of the dark figures.

“We’ll get you out of here in no time.” He took her hand in his after freeing it from the bonds that held her to the chair. When Sydney was completely free, she hugged her father with as much fierceness as she could muster. Before any of them could make any other moves, four guards entered the room, quickly followed by Julian Sark.

“Make no move.” He ordered as the guards spilled across the room. One stood behind Alex, jabbing a gun to her ribs. The other three aimed their guns at the intruders.

“Sark.” Jack said as he moved slightly in front of Sydney.

Julian nodded with a smirk and then quickly fired five round, each hitting their targets. The CIA agents watched in amazement as three of the guards slumped to the ground bleeding.

Alex quickly disarmed the fourth guard behind her and then rendered him unconscious. “Took you long enough.” She tossed Julian’s way as she took the guard’s weapon.

“It would have helped if any of you would have informed me of the time you’d be arriving.” He jabbed back. They didn’t have any time to continue their banter as Jack cut in, quite angry.

“What is going on here?” He asked thunderously as he stood up more properly reaching for his gun. He and Julian aimed their guns at each other within seconds.

“I would advise you to lower your weapon, Mr. Bristow as I have no wish to shoot you, but I know you wouldn’t listen to me.” Julian said with a smirk.

“You’re outnumbered, Sark.” Jack said calmly indicating to his companions.

“Oh, for the love of God.” Alex huffed and moved between the two men. “Would you both stamp down you testosterone levels for one moment.” She looked pointedly at both men, almost scolding them. “We’re in a building with over twenty guards with orders to shoot you on sight and Arvin Sloane who hasn’t been in a forgiving mood lately. So if you want to defeat him, we’ll have to work together.”

“Who are you?” Jack asked from the lithe woman in front of him.

“Someone who has quite a few ties to you, but for now you can call me Alex.” She answered, softening her tone of voice. “Lower your weapons, he’s not going to shoot you.” She indicated towards Julian who was watching her with clear amusement.

“I somehow doubt that.” Vaughn said with an amount of sarcasm in his voice.

“Mr. Vaughn, I know for sure that he has no wish to kill you, never has, never will.” Alex turned to the young agent.

“Then why-” Vaughn started, but was cut off by Alex.

“Are we going to stay here arguing or are we going to find Sloane?”

Jack nodded and lowered his weapon. “If either of you makes one wrong move…” He trailed off.

“You’ll shoot me to Swiss cheese?” Alex raised her eyebrow. “I don’t think so, Jack.” She smiled.

“How do you know our names?” Weiss asked the woman.

“I’ll answer that later.” Alex said and then reached into her back bag. Pulling out an earpiece, she handed it to Julian. Then she pulled out a small palm computer and typed a few quick commands. “Where’s Sloane now?” She asked Julian.

“In the lab.” He answered.

Alex turned on her earpiece and Julian did the same. “We’ve got to spread out, that way it’ll be easier.” She turned to the only other female in the room. “Sydney, can you walk?” She asked softly as she neared her.

Sydney watched the other woman curiously; unable to understand why did she look so familiar.

“I’m fine.” She said and stood up a little shakily. Suspiciously she looked at Alex who she helped her up.

“We need to spread out. Sloane still here, if you want to catch him.” Alex explained rushed. “Mr. Bristow will you promise me not to shoot Julian there when he goes with you as he knows this building best?” She ignored the snort she hear from her cousin and looked directly at Jack.

When the older agent looked at her disbelievingly, she continued. “He knows where everything is, but moving in one group would cause unnecessary attention. Since I doubt you would let me and Julian leave here without any of you accompanying us, I offer that we divide into two groups. Mr. Weiss and Mr. Dixon would be coming with me and you, Miss Bristow and Mr. Vaughn would go with Julian.”

Jack knew that if they had any real chance of apprehending Sloane then this would be it. And this mysterious woman was offering them that opportunity. That could of course mean she would be leading them straight into a trap but they did outnumber the two. He was willing to use their help until Sloane was caught and then he could find out why this girl offered her and Sark’s help.

“If you try anything, they will be ordered to stop you at any cost.” Jack said gravely, looking at Alex. “That also goes to you Sark.” He turned to the man.

“I wouldn’t expect anything less.” He glanced down.

“We need to move now.” Alex said once again.

“Wait! Isn’t there any surveillance cameras here?” Vaughn asked.

“They’re taken care of.” Julian said, knowing they would understand it as if he disabled them.

“Let’s go.” Jack nodded.

~~

Irina landed on her feet with a soft thump. Looking around she thankfully didn’t see any guards. Picking up her bag, she jogged down the dim hallway, away from the air vent she had just exited. She had managed to make it about halfway down the corridor when she encountered a guard. Without blinking she pulled out her gun and shot him. She didn’t however see the second guard and he knocked the gun out of her hands after she had fired the shot. A short fight ensued for Irina quickly gained the upper hand and rendered the man unconscious.

Again she moved and soon found her destination. She tried the door but not surprisingly it was locked. Making quick work on the lock, she entered Sloane’s office. Quickly deducing he wasn’t in the room, she made her way to the large desk. Walking around it and sitting, she found the security cameras’ feed. Within a few minutes she had put the cameras on loop and rounded the actual surveillance to her small palm pilot.

Exiting the office, she carefully moved through the labyrinth of hallways. The guards she had met were all unconscious of dead, never having time to report her presence in the building. Irina heard cracking from her earpiece, then Elena’s voice.

“Irina, what’s your status?” She sounded vaguely out of breath.

“East wing of the building.” Irina answered quickly and quietly.

“Did you cut the surveillance?”

“Affirmative.” She peered around a corner, seeing a larger group of guards a hundred metres from her.

“The north wing is secured.” They heard Katya murmur over the link.

“Copy that. Moving to the laboratory area.” Irina said. “Going radio-silent.” She ended the connection and dropped her bag silently, preparing herself for the fight that was sure to come for she couldn’t unarm all those guards at once from that distance. And she needed to get to that laboratory, unfortunately there was only on entrance point. Six heavily armed men who from afar seemed to be fit to give Irina quite a fight guarded that.

Aiming her gun, she managed to shoot three before the others became alert of her presence. She got to shoot one more before dropping the gun and engaging herself into a fight with the remaining two.

Irina had been trained to fight up to six opponents at once and she was good at that, but these opponents weren’t made of wood. She had to admit the when one of them got the opening he needed and delivered a kick to her ribs that made her lose her balance and fall backwards on the hard concrete floor. She braced herself on the floor with her hands, so she would fall completely but still she was at a disadvantage.

Irina didn’t have the time to retaliate as she felt something hard hitting the back of her head and she succumbed to darkness.

TBC

Chapter 15

The clock on the mantelpiece showed the time 4:54. Irina paced in the living room, flinching ever so lightly as the lightning struck. She looked worriedly outside and then resumed her pacing. For her ministrations she felt a sharp kick to her side.

“I’m sorry, but your father’s making me insane.” She apologized to her rounded stomach as she finally settled on the couch, lifting up her feet on the coffee table. “Damn you, Jack Bristow.” She cursed, clearly frustrated, and hit the throw cushion next to her.

Until three hours past midnight Irina had tried to fall asleep, but sleep didn’t come that easily anymore whenever Jack wasn’t next to her. She’d rather be damned if she ever admitted that to anyone, but she missed the safety the man bore with himself.

It was odd how easily Irina sometimes forget why she was married to him, especially when he talked to her large abdomen or brought her the midnight snacks she had been craving for during her pregnancy. Everything felt so real that it was easy to pretend that she wasn’t a foreign spy sent to America to spy on him.

Irina looked around the small but cosy apartment they lived in. They were in Virginia but Irina knew that Jack was eligible for a promotion soon and that probably meant moving to Los Angeles.

She was shaken out of her thoughts as she heard the lock being turned in the front door. Irina removed her feet from the table and stood up, mustering as much grace as she could. She watched as her husband walked into the living room, oblivious to her presence. Irina felt with disdain that her anger was melting into sheer happiness of his return.

Jack dropped his suitcase on the floor and slowly took his drench coat off. Moving slowly he tried to make as little noise as possible. Seeing his wife standing in the middle of the living room made his attempts futile.

“Laura-“ He started, but was cut of by Irina, who had regained her anger.

“Where the hell were you?” She demanded. “You were supposed to be back by yesterday morning.”

“I’m sorry but-“ Jack gave another useless attempt.

“But what? I’ve been worrying myself sick about you. Do you know how many awful thoughts crossed my mind?” Irina asked vehemently.

Before he could answer the lightning struck, bathing the room in light. For the first time since he walked through the door, Irina really saw Jack’s appearance. He was heavily leaning on one leg, holding on to the wall for support. He looked haggard and Irina saw various bruises covering his face, she could only imagine what he looked underneath his clothes.

“Oh my God, Jack. What happened?” She rushed towards him, fighting the urge to hug him fiercely.

“Nothing.” He tried to dismiss his injuries.

”This doesn’t look as nothing.” Irina touched his cheek gently. She softened her voice but it still held sternness.

“Everything didn’t go according to plan.” Jack said cryptically.

Irina fought the wish to roll her eyes at him and helped him to the couch. He dropped heavily on it and his head lolled back as much of his strength had dissipated long ago.

Carefully and determinedly Irina started to remove his clothing. Jack tried to protest but Irina silenced him with a kiss. He softly grabbed her elbows and pulled her to his lap. Irina tried to keep any additional weight off him by bracing her hands on the back of the sofa.

“I missed you,” Jack whispered into her hair.

“I missed you too.” Irina pulled back and looked into his eyes. She broke the contact as she felt movement in her stomach. Letting out a small laugh, she said. “We both missed you.”

Jack put his hand on her abdomen and felt his unborn child deliver a solid punch every once in a while. “I’m sorry I didn’t get here earlier.” He said regretfully.

“Just don’t leave us alone for so long.” Irina said burying her hands in his hair.

“Promise.” He kissed her.

After a few minutes Irina stood up and held her hand out for her husband who took it gratefully. She led him to their bedroom and they had spent the rest of the night and most of the morning in each other’s arms.

Jack had told Irina about their mission that had gone awry and the events that had led to his capture and interrogation without going to any details but seeing the angry marks on his body, Irina knew that Jack had endured a lot more than he let on. She had made him promise that he would not put himself in a situation that might endanger him anymore. He had promised her that and probably meant it, but deep down Irina knew he was lying: he, as herself, thrived on adrenaline and danger.

She just hoped that his soon-to-be-born daughter would make him more cautious.

Years later when she was in the world by herself, stripped of her family, country and beliefs, Irina told herself that she had never promised him that she would stay out of harms way. So she had acted savagely and on instinct. Only some time later she found that methodical work brought much more reward that spontaneous.

From then on she almost never lost her cool and always mapped out all her moves thoroughly. And waking up to being tied to a chair made Irina wish she had been more careful than she had been.

Irina kept her eyes closed and her head down as she became conscious. She waited until she could feel that she was in control of her limbs again. She tried to assess her situation but it had no positive points. All she realized was that she was restrained to a chair, and due to the absolute silence, she couldn’t figure out where she was or with whom.

Deciding that faking unconsciousness wouldn’t help her any way, she lifted her head and looked straight into the eyes of Arvin Sloane.

“Hello, Irina.” He made no threatening moves, just on the contrary. He leaned back comfortably on the sofa in his office.

“Arvin.” Irina said blandly, while flexing her hands, but being held back by the restraints.

“I wondered when you would be coming for me yourself. I must confess, I thought that you would hold out a little longer.” He smirked slightly, very pleased with himself.

“And why is that.” She asked with no apparent interest.

“You know that I would never hurt Sydney and you made showed no interest when she worked at SD-6 for me for over seven years.” Sloane answered smoothly. “And I hoped my business associates would hold you up for some time.” He added.

“So it was you who put a contract on my head.” Irina showed no surprise. “I thought you had better contacts, Arvin.” She mocked slightly.

Sloane paid no heed to her bait. “Yet, here you are alone.” He gestured with his hands.

Irina frowned inwardly. It was very likely Sloane knew she wasn’t alone there and was just toying with her or he was actually unaware of the others in the building. Truthfully she herself was unsure of the number of intruders. It was likely that the CIA rescue team had also arrived here, but she wasn’t positive. Until she knew for sure she had to rely on her instincts.

“Do you really think you can comprehend the full meaning of Rambaldi’s works?” She changed the subject. “Even if you manage to activate the machine, you won’t be able to control it.”

“I won’t pretend that I understand everything, but in time I will know enough. Until then I have Sydney, who Rambaldi wrote so much about.” Sloane responded calmly. “And right now, I have you.”

The arrogance in his voice made Irina seethe. “And what makes you think that I would be interested in helping you. The trouble you have caused me doesn’t make me very cooperative.”

“Oh, you will be more than helpful. I have never hurt Sydney deliberately but if that would make you more willing to help, I may overlook that.” The threat in his words worried Irina.

~~

Alex led Dixon and Weiss through the facility and hadn’t encountered trouble yet. Her companions were silent and she wasn’t eager to converse either. After making yet another sharp turn around a corner, Alex suddenly held up her hand signalling the other two agents to stop. She looked around, then turned to her left and tried the door handle on the door that had previously slipped both Weiss’ and Dixon’s surveillance. As expected the door wasn’t open, so Alex reached up and pulled two hairpin-like objects out of her hair. The two men realized that they were lock-picking instruments and shared a half-amused look. The woman’s hair stayed as they were, being pulled into a tight bun, even after she pulled the objects out, then she kneeled on one knee before the door and turned her attention to the lock.

Alex had noticed the look the men had shared and spoke, her eyes never leaving her task. “What’s so amusing? One has to be inventive in such places.” The door made a familiar sound and Alex put the lock picks back in her hair. Standing up she continued. “I didn’t expect Sloane to have traditional locks here, but I wasn’t willing to risk it.” With that she pulled out a handgun from the small of her back and turned the doorknob, which now gave in.

Slowly she moved into the room, the two men hot on her heels. The room itself seemed like a control centre. It contained at least three dozen computers and unaccountable amount of other surveillance equipment.

“Impressive.” Alex murmured to herself. Looking around she instructed Dixon to close the door and then she moved to one of the computers.

She started typing quickly and concentrated on the amounts of information in front of her. Alex heard crackling on the other side of her earpiece and listened very carefully, but making no outwards signs that she had heard anything.

“Alexandra, I know you’re not alone so listen.” She heard her mother’s instructions.

“Irina went radio silent but she was supposed to be back on once she got to the lab. It has been ten minutes. We must assume, she was discovered. Take your escorts to the laboratory and don’t draw any attention to yourself. We’ll meet you and Julian there.” Alex comprehended the info and realized what she had to do.

At that precise moment Dixon started asking questions. “Why was it necessary to come here?” He looked at the woman suspiciously.

“This is Sloane’s control centre. From here we can probably monitor the whole building.” She explained calmly.

“I thought Sark disabled the cameras?” It was a half question from Dixon who now looked around in the room.

“He never said that he disabled them.” Two sets of eyes snapped to her. “He said that they were taken care of, which they have been, or we wouldn’t have got this far.”

“I don’t know what game are you playing here, but you should know it won’t work.” Dixon’s harsh words made Alex look at him.

She didn’t seem fazed by his threat and spoke mollified. “I’m not playing any games, I’m just trying to bring Sloane down, just like you are. Joining our efforts seemed like a decent idea.”

“And we are just supposed to believe that you are here alone on coincidence?” Weiss asked incredulously.

“I never said I was alone.” She said cryptically with a trace of a smile.

“Who else is here?” Dixon asked tightening his grip on his gun as if she was about to attack any minute.

“We need to get to the laboratory and destroy Sloane’s new little toy. For that we need as much manpower as possible. Contact the others and tell them to meet us outside the lab.” Alex ignored his question.

“We need to know who else is here.” Dixon said with authority.

“No, you want to know, there’s a difference.” Alex responded and brushed pass him. “We need to get moving before we’re spotted. Contact them.” She stressed the last part. “Please.” Her tone was gentler.

Grudgingly Dixon made contact with Jack while Weiss tried to figure why the young woman’s sounded so familiar to him.

~~

Julian walked in front of Jack who was holding him at gunpoint and Vaughn who was supporting Sydney for she didn’t have the complete control of her footing from being tied down so long.

“You said Sloane had a laboratory here. Why?” Sydney asked Julian.

“Do I really need to tell you, Sydney?” He asked back. When he received a glare for his humour, he answered. “Il Dire.”

“‘The Telling’. It’s here?” Her eyes widened.

“Yes.” He offered no other explanation.

“Has he activated it?” Vaughn asked warily.

“No, he tried but then discovered there were pieces missing.” He answered dodging.

“I thought that he had all 47 pieces.” Sydney said, confused as she remembered her mother’s words at the ice rink.

“He does have forty seven pieces but there were additional parts that he wasn’t aware of.” Julian explained.

Jack’s next question was cut off as they neared the lab and Julian motioned them to stand still. He peered around the corner and viewed the lab door. Frowning, he saw that the guards who had been there an hour ago had been replaced although the replacing should have taken place four hours later.

“Something’s wrong.” He said as he turned back to his companions.

“What do you mean-“ Sydney started but quieted when they heard movement behind their backs. Jack and Vaughn drew their weapons while Sydney backed up a bit.

To their relief they saw Dixon and Weiss coming around the corner with Alex. Ignoring the others, Alex walked straight to Julian and looked around the corner.

“The guards have been replaced.” She said quietly as they pulled back. “That means she was either caught or spotted.”

“Who was caught?” Jack asked sternly.

Paying no attention to him, Alex continued. “We need to get to the lab now, because soon they’ll find that Sydney has been released and that will take our only advantage.”

“I asked who was caught.” Jack’s tone revealed impatience and Alex decided that honesty would not be so bad.

“Your wife.” She answered looking him straight in the eye.

TBC

Look out for some J/I interaction in the next chapter, but will everyone survive... Reviews are always appreciated!!

I really like this fic. I've been reading it from start and sometimes I was worried it would end unfinished. I was happy to see update :smiley:
I've read tons of Alias fanfic years ago (now I have renewed old obsession.. cough X-Files cough), but this one somehow one have stuck in my mind. So keep writing, I'm reading..

Back