"Angel" Renewed for 5th Season

Azalea

Azy in Wonderland
This is from TVGuide.com.

BLOODY GOOD: Here's some news that doesn't suck: The WB has renewed Angel for a fifth season. The acclaimed Buffy the Vampire Slayer spinoff will hold on to its 9 pm/ET-Wednesday timeslot, but it will get a much stronger lead-in this fall when Smallville moves to Wednesdays at 8 pm/ET. Meanwhile, Buffy's James Marsters (Spike) will cross over to Angel full time next season.

I'm so glad it's renewed! I can't imagine Spike on the show, but I hope it'll be good! It should create an interesting dynamic, at least.

Sounds good to me! I'm glad they are having people moving from Buffy to Angel. I can't wait for the next season! It sounds good!

Smallville may be moving into place as its Wednesday lead-in, which is a good pairing, I think.

From David Greenwalt (thanks to zap2it article):

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - "I will continue to be consulting producer David Greenwalt," says the co-creator (with Joss Whedon) of The WB's "Angel." "I will continue to watch from afar and work from afar."

While he's no longer involved in the day-to-day affairs at the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" spin-off, which just got picked up for its fifth season, Greenwalt keeps a weather eye on the Wednesday-night drama and has a few hints about what's coming up this fall.

"I kid you not," Greenwalt says, "I believe this show will go another three years."

In its season finale, "Angel" made a huge bid for renewal and revamped its format, taking Angel (David Boreanaz), the crusading vampire with a soul, and his evil-fighting crew -- Gunn (J. August Richards), Wesley (Alexis Denisof), Lorne (Andy Hallett) and Fred (Amy Acker) -- out of their former headquarters in a dilapidated hotel, and stuffing them into a gleaming, fully staffed Los Angeles office tower -- courtesy of their former foe, the evil law firm of Wolfram & Hart.

Although W&H has sworn that the gift comes without strings, Greenwalt is not so sure.

"Obviously, they wish to corrupt all our people," Greenwalt says, "and all of our people wish not to be corrupted. Some of them will be corrupted, some of them won't be."

"Gunn is going to become the coolest. You'll be seeing him in beautiful suits. And you know, Fred has never had money and a car and a place of her own before, so she's going to be living a little wilder than ever. Lorne is in heaven, because he gets to talk to Michael Jackson and all the entertainment people."

"Angel has got eyes open, always looking for the screwing, but meanwhile, they can use the full faith of Wolfram & Hart to help the people they need to help."

The offer from Wolfram & Hart was delivered by employee Lilah Morgan (Stephanie Romanov), raised from the dead just for that purpose. Greenwalt says she is likely to return, "and hopefully some new femme fatale, as well."

As for Lilah's former office rival, one-handed lawyer Lindsey McDonald (Christian Kane), last seen in season two, Greenwalt says, "It's funny, David [Boreanaz] had said that to me, too, 'I'd love to see him come back.' They're buddies, and Christian brings a lot to the party. Him walking in the door with his porcelain hand wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen. It's on my wish list."

Also on Greenwalt's wish list is a visit from Buffy herself, Sarah Michelle Gellar, who ends her seven-season run as Sunnydale's slayer May 20 on UPN -- complete with a visit from Angel, her former lover, who first appears May 13.

"I bet you'll see her," Greenwalt says, "but I don't know how all that's going to work out. David's done a lot for her; she's done a lot for David. When we launched the show, she showed up on the set in downtown L.A. in the middle of the night with a cake. She is quite capable of the big, lovely gesture, and I hope to see her in the show."

Already signed to join the cast this fall -- for a full 22 episodes -- is Buffy's other vampire lover, Spike (James Marsters), a former protégé of Angel's who also has a soul. But first, he must finish his storyline on "Buffy."

"Well, yes," Greenwalt says, "because when you see how 'Buffy' finishes, you'll realize that we have a bit of a problem there. But we'll figure it out."

For the moment, "Angel" is basking in the joy of a new season -- and thanks to specially tempered glass at Wolfram & Hart, Angel can bask in a little California sunshine (without bursting into flames).

"What you have now," Greenwalt says, "is 'Angel' meets 'West Wing' meets 'L.A. Law,' this whole new look and feel. It's not going to be dreary and dark. He can walk in the sun. I am so sick of this no-sun thing."

"To me, it's like a brand-new show."

And, it seems, there's also a new metaphor. "'Buffy' had a huge metaphor," Greenwalt says, "high school and the little girl, 'I want to go to the prom, but I have to fight big evil.' We sold 'Angel' as exactly the same thing in your 20s, but as you go on, there is no big, iconic metaphor in your 20s. But at about 29, you either decide to join the world or you go live on a commune."

"So this is, how do I integrate into the real world? It's really where you make the big decisions -- do you sell out or not sell out? Things start to have a consequence again in your life."

;)

Interesting. Looks like Marsters has second billing based on the WB site.
;)

Yeah, it looks like Charisma Carpenter probably won't be returning, or at least not as a regular cast member. Which I can understand; she did just give birth, after all. And she has been doing this since the VERY beginning: 7 years. It still won't be the same without Cordy, though. With her gone, the only female castmember will be Amy Acker. They better find some more, or all the guys will have to create sexual tension with each other! :lol:

I'm sure Marsters could create sexual tension with just about anyone or anything ( :lol: )! That said, I agree. They really could use one or two more women on the cast. Besides, lately it seemed that Cordy has been coma-girl an awful lot, anyway. (Though I did miss the first half of the season because of the Angel/Alias conflict . . . I did get that impression . . .)
;)

maybe they could make lilah a regular? i think that would be pretty interesting since it didn't seem that her and fred got along very well. but... that probably won't work since she's dead. :confused: but then again, when did that ever stop the writers? ;)

so it's confirmed - charisma carpenter won't be a regular anymore? :( i love cordy!!

Good for Angel ... hope he gets a long run ... sorry to hear about Cordelia though ... hey, but we are getting Spike ... men, I love this vampire ... he is so cute ... even as a vampire!

I've always said it would be intresting to have spike on angel, with their similar love for buffy, their soul, and their years as vampires together it would be good to see what the dyanmics would be like betweem them.

ack. I've missed the whole entire season because of the Alias/Angel conflict so when it moved back to Wedesday I was so lost and i didn't have time to watch! So Now I'm so lost. would any one be kind enough to explain the whole season to me?
--Mandy :angelic:

i have only seen like 3 eps of angel in the very beginning but i catch up with what is going on by going to this site called buffy vs angel. im not sure what the address is but search for buffy and angel on google andi tihkn it the first one. it has really good guides that are really thourough.
ukaliaschick (y) (n)

You can find transcripts here.

I also found out that David Greenwalt has a new show, Jake 2.0, that UPN scheduled opposite Angel (after Enterprise)!!! Sheesh! Talk about good news/bad news!
;)

And a word from the WB via zap2it.com:

'Angel' Will Keep 'Buffy' Torch Lit
Wed, May 21, 2003 07:29 PM PDT

by Rick Porter
Zap2it, TV News

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - We learned in the third season of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" that death isn't necessarily final for vampires with souls.

That should be good news for James Marsters. He's scheduled to join the cast of "Buffy" spinoff "Angel" next season, but when we last saw his character, the ensouled vamp Spike, in Tuesday's (May 20) "Buffy" finale, he was disintegrating after quite literally pouring his soul out to defeat the First Evil.

Jordan Levin, president of The WB Entertainment, is curious as to how Spike might be reintroduced to the world of the living.

"We're awaiting word from [creator Joss Whedon] on that as well," Levin says. "He's obviously a very creative person, and he hasn't let us down in the past. I'm sure he'll figure out a way."

Levin also confirms that other "Buffy" characters are scheduled to make appearances on "Angel" next season. However, Charisma Carpenter, who played Cordelia on both shows, will not return.

Although "Angel" was considered to be on the bubble to return for a fifth season, Levin says the decision to pick it up was relatively easy. The network was guided in part by the way another of its series, "Dawson's Creek," ended its run this season.

"We think it was the right thing to do for Joss, the right thing to do for the fans," he says. "'Dawson's Creek' taught us the value of being able to provide closure to a show that's been important to the audience and to the people who worked on it, including us at the network. With 'Angel,' we felt like it would have been extraordinarily abrupt to have brought it to an end, brought the whole 'Buffy' mythology to an end."

As Marsters and other "Buffy" cast members migrate to "Angel," so might some of the series' behind-the-camera talent. Whedon will devote more time to his sole remaining show next season, and Levin says The WB is negotiating deals with a handful of "Buffy" writers to move to "Angel."
;)

It'll be interesting to see what happens on Angel with a stronger Whedon influence . . . (Oh yeah, and I heard that even SMG said she was open to guest appearances.)

And yet more from Whedon's interview with TV Guide Online:

TV Guide Online: I have a bone to pick with you: When last we spoke, you claimed that "no decision" had been made about bringing Spike over to Angel next season. Then, days later, the WB announced that, well, Spike would be making his way to Angel next season. Why did you lie to me, man?
Joss Whedon: It wasn't until the last minute that it was actually decided that he was going to be a regular on the show. When I spoke to you, a) it was true that we didn't know his status, and b) he was about to die on Buffy, so the less about him being on Angel in the press beforehand, the better.

TVGO: Fair enough. But couldn't the WB hold off on announcing it?
Whedon: There was no f---ing way. They were very excited about James. They have a shiny blond thing to show people, and they're gonna do it.

TVGO: So, how do you plan to resurrect Spike?
Whedon: That's a conversation I'm going to be having with the Angel writers very soon.

TVGO: There's always Shanshu (the ancient prophecy introduced during Angel's first season that says once a soulful vampire fulfills his destiny, he becomes human).
Whedon: It's not quite that simple, although a lot of people have been making reference to that. But that's an interpretation, and ultimately could become the interpretation if we decide to go that way. I have some other ideas. The trick is how to bring him back without losing the integrity of what he did... the sacrifice. If it's just, "Hey, I'm back!" then that whole moment at the end of Buffy is kind of lame now. Like Buffy returning from the dead, it's going to be something that we're going to have to earn and play the ramifications of, possibly without making it so depressing.

TVGO: Will you pair him with a new special someone?
Whedon: I'm still trying to figure out how to bring him back to life. I don't think he's the kind of guy that would be like, "Well, that was a fun time with Buffy... " I don't think he feels a sense of resolve or resolution about the relationship. I think he feels that he was ready to sacrifice himself for her, and it was a beautiful thing, but... it wasn't like he's cured of loving Buffy any more than Angel is.

TVGO: Now that Buffy is free to do whatever she likes, how will you explain why she doesn't make a beeline for Angel?
Whedon: Well, I think I did in the episode. She said very specifically she doesn't want to go and find a boyfriend. She wants to go and find herself — spend some time becoming a grown-up and finding out who she is, and then she can stop to find out who fits with that. That was the point of the whole cookie dough speech. Her internal search isn't for a boyfriend, it's for herself. And then if true love fits into that, that would be the best thing ever. But if she instantly went off and attached herself to Angel, she'd be throwing away everything she'd just been given, which is her freedom. It would be the last thing she would do. Well, not the last thing. She wouldn't do it until sweeps.

TVGO: November sweeps?
Whedon: I don't know if necessarily it will be November, but she has stated time and again that she's perfectly willing to come on and make an appearance, assuming schedules work out. Nothing's definite, but it's as sure a shot as one could hope for.
;)

:gasp: Sarah might come and visit Angel? LOL Me and my buffy pal miriam were talking about that, like if Buffy didn't KNOW that Spike came back, and just showed up one day in LA and went "Spike? Oh- G-d- what? WHat are you- how is this possible?" Will all the tears in the world... LOL

aliaschick4mv said:
:gasp: Sarah might come and visit Angel? LOL Me and my buffy pal miriam were talking about that, like if Buffy didn't KNOW that Spike came back, and just showed up one day in LA and went "Spike? Oh- G-d- what? WHat are you- how is this possible?" Will all the tears in the world... LOL
Yes, she recently mentioned that she hasn't ruled that out, which kind of surprised me. It would be interesting to see her guest.
;)

Back