Answer

SkyGirl5

Cadet
:hi:

ok, i'm posting this now, b/c there is no way i have time to atempt to deal with the PM system in the mornign SOooo that means there will be no update of this until saturday morning!

Title: Answer
Genre: S/V AU
Summary: Sydney Bristow doesn't need help from anyone dealing with the issues in her life... or so she thinks, until she unexpectedly meets Michael Vaughn, who just might be the answer she didn't even know she was looking for.

completed - 25 chapters
oooo and go read lyrics for/listen to "Answer" by Sarah McLachlan ;)

Chapter 1

“S***!” Michael Vaughn swore when he felt one of the tires to his BMW blow, causing the car to jolt. He gripped the steering wheel tightly and squinted out the windshield on that dark, rainy night, looking for the nearest place to pull over. About one hundred yards ahead, he saw a tiny half-illuminated sign reading “iner.” Assuming it was a ‘Diner’ on which the ‘D’ was no longer lit, he decided that would be his destination.

“Just great,” he muttered to himself, switching on his turn signal while the person behind him honked at his incredibly low driving speed. It was already a horrible day and it only seemed to be getting worse. At work, one of his clients had given him a migraine from her indecisiveness and downright rudeness. Then, because of the torrential downpour, there had been five accidents on the highway, closing it down completely and forcing him to take an unfamiliar detour. Now, to top it all off, he had a flat tire and he knew his cell battery was dead due to the fact that he was an idiot and had forgotten to charge it the night before.

He found an empty spot in the diner lot and was thankful that it was close to the entrance. He turned off his engine, climbed out into the rain pulling up his jacket collar as he went. Then he locked his car and ran into the diner as quickly as he could. Once inside, his stomach immediately dropped to his knees. This wasn’t exactly the best part of town and with his Armani suit and BMW, he felt so out of place he might as well have been screaming at the top of his lungs as he wore a pink tutu.

The diner patrons, who could, at the very least, all be described as ‘rough around the edges’, looked at him and furrowed their brows momentarily before turning their attention back to the greasy, un-nutricious meals in front of them. Michael slowly approached the counter. Just a phone; that’s all he needed and hopefully he could escape with his wallet and his life.

He had almost reached the cash register when a brown haired woman behind the counter spun around and flashed him a smile. Her dimples were cavernous and her chocolate brown eyes sparkled as she said, “’Evenin’. Can I get you something?”

Michael’s heart skipped a beat and his throat went dry. The moment he locked eyes with her he had a feeling in his gut that, somehow, he’d never be the same again.

“Sir?” she prompted him after he had stared at her in silence for a full minute.

“I… flat…,” he managed to croak out. Then, he managed to pull his cell from his pocket and gesture with it as he said, “dead.”

The woman’s brow furrowed at him for a moment, not sure if he was drunk, homeless or simply insane. She looked him up and down, noting his expensive clothes and decided he wasn’t homeless and most likely not insane, but he could have been drunk or intoxicated in some other way. “Excuse me?”

“Phone,” he managed to say, all the while cursing himself for being a rather good prosecuting attorney and having completely lost the ability to speak.

“Ohh,” she sighed, suddenly beginning to understand his minimalist grunts. “You need a phone because yours is dead?” she asked; he nodded. “Well, there’s a payphone in the corner. You need some change?” she asked as she gestured towards phone in the far corner of the diner. The man shook his head and walked over towards it.

Once in the phone booth, Michael bashed his face against the phone for being a total moron. Then, he picked up the phone and dialed AAA. There was no way he was leaving his BMW in that parking lot overnight, no matter how much it cost him. If he left it there, it would end up costing more considering the vehicle would end up being stripped or stolen.

During his brief conversation on the phone, he arranged for a tow truck to come and pick both him and his car up and take them to a garage, where he could get a rental until his tire was fixed (since it had to be specially ordered). Unfortunately, it would take the tow truck at least fifteen minutes or more to arrive, so until then he was stuck. He didn’t exactly mind. He was still too busy staring at the waitress to whom he had just spoken, or rather grunted.

He had probably been staring at her nearly five minutes from the tiny corner phone booth until he realized that not only was he probably making her uncomfortable, he was making an utter fool of himself in the process. So, he emerged from the booth and walked over to the counter, where he sat on one of the stools. “Thanks for the phone. May I have some coffee, please?” he said in one long breath.

“Well, I’m glad you regained your ability to speak,” she said as she placed a cup in front of him and began to fill it. “I was worried how you were going to carry on a conversation on the phone with those grunts.”

Michael bushed slightly as he stared intently down into his coffee cup. “I’m sorry about that.”

She smiled, amused. “It’s quite alright.”

“So…,” Michael began rather awkwardly, not knowing what exactly to say. Then he looked at her nametag and read it. “You’re Sarah?”

“Nope,” she said quickly. He looked confused. “Borrowed this; mine’s still at the cleaners.”

“Oh,” he laughed softly. “What is your name then?”

“Sydney,” she told him simply.

“Well, I’m Michael Vaughn and it’s nice to meet you,” he smiled at her before taking another sip of the drink in front of him.

“Hmm,” she sighed as she looked down at him, cramming her hands down into the pockets of her apron as she did so. “I take it you’ve never been here before.”

“No,” he laughed softly. “Actually, I haven’t been around her much at all.”

“New in town?” she asked.

“Nope,” he shook his head. “I just don’t come around this part of town much, but there was a detour on the highway, so…,” he shrugged.

“I see,” she nodded. “Well, I don’t suppose you’ll be coming back, so it was-”

“Hold on a second,” he interrupted her. “What makes you think I won’t be coming back?”

“Um,” she said as she looked around. “I don’t know if you’ve noticed but we’re not exactly a five star restaurant. In fact, I’d be shocked if we had one star. So, why exactly would you come back?”

“Well… I don’t know,” he paused. Then, he was about to speak again, but he saw the tow truck pull up out front and he slid off his chair. “Excuse me, I need to be leaving,” he said as he dropped a five on the counter. She didn’t even bother saying goodbye; she just watched him leave.

this is so cute. the diner reminds me of the one in million dollar baby with the wonderful lemon meringue

pm me please.

wow!! love the start!! keep PMing me!!! and i love how he was basicly speechless!! I bet he'll be going back into that part of town soon!!

Ooooh I can tell that he's going to return to the diner! :D Please PM me when you update. I can already tell that I'm going to love this fic!!!

~Anja

ok it took me like an hr but i sent out all the pm's 10 at a time and i think almot all of them worked
fyi - i wont do that ever again - 15 pm's! :thud:

Teehee! She doesn't seem to conflicted by issues, she seems pretty easy going... but I'm sure there's more to it, as there always is. Looking forward to the angst :P
Thanks for the pm Janet, add me to the list... if they work :lol: Ta

Great start.. I'm sure this one's gonna be as great as all your other stories. Glad you posted early. I'm going away for the weekend and won't be back til Sunday (Aussie time). Please continue to PM me if they decide to co-operate.

Back