Anti-sark

David Anders is heading over to CSI to become a Toxicologist reported by Kristin
And as that is coming from Kristin take it as you will, but obviously it does mean seeing Sark a lot less!!
:happydance: (y) :P :hehe: :drunk: :clap: :groupwave:

There are those of us who do not feel that Sark is 'sex on wheels' or even find his character remotely appealing. And you may want to thank David Anders for that. Obviously he is portraying his character so well, that he has convinced a lot of us to dislike 'the bad guy'.

Yet also there is the discussion of how Sark has not been allowed to grow, he is a one dimensional, useless character, normally known as a henchman.
Even JJ Abrams has said and this is his quote from an interview : I think by having Sark become a serialized villain was a mistake.

It was such a huge mistake that the Sark haters thread was born. He's a cartoon bad guy. He always gets away just in the nick of time, he can be heavily guarded and he kills every person of a trained CIA armed patrol detail with absolutely no help on an Airplane while in a straightjacket no less. I mean c'mon so totally farfetched.

And a lot of us here feel that Vaughn, some may find boring but, we find him honourable and a well rounded character that has had issues to deal with.
Some of us also do not understand the romanticizing of an evil character,Sark. The storyline has not romanticized him , his fans have. So it can not be compared to Spike from Buffy..Spike was eventually romanticized in script, which many found appealing while others felt that Joss Whedon 'lost' the character of Spike.

Some of our posters wonder if Sark is scriptually romanticized if his die hard fans will feel he still has that rough, raw appeal. AKA 'The bad boy'.

Also remember not everyone has the same taste in men, it doesn't make us gross, weird, or freakishly immune it just means he is not our type. If everyone liked the same type..there'd be no variety in the world .

Well said!
Sark has never redeemed himself in any way whatsoever. I get the whole loving the bad guy thing, but for that to happen, the character has to have some sort of redeeming quality. I can't think of a single thing Sark has done that shows in any way he is anything other than pure evil. He doesn't care about anybody at all, and shows absolutely no remorse. He had chances to, but the writers always went with the comic book bad guy image.

As for the ridiculous escapes, my mother was visiting when episode 11 was on. She was in hysterics at the end, where the CIA team goes in, taking out all of the guards with their machine gun fire, and Sark just stands there in the middle of it, holding two pathetically small hand guns. She wanted to know why they made it so unrealistic. Sydney, Dixon, Vaughn, and all the other operatives and co must have been extraordinarily bad at firing their weapons if they couldn't hit the guy.

And, finally, I have never found Sark attractive in any way. I just don't get what's so special about him. Maybe I need to be younger to get it. But then, even when I was younger, I always preferred real men to skinny, pasty little boys...

He's a cartoon bad guy. He always gets away just in the nick of time, he can be heavily guarded and he kills every person of a trained CIA armed patrol detail with absolutely no help on an Airplane while in a straightjacket no less. I mean c'mon so totally farfetched.

ya but the fact that syd just never seems to die is not farfetched. that seems pretty farfetched to me. and besides he doesn't kill every trained cia agent!!! dixon, jack, weiss, syd, and vaughn. dont worry though...vaughn will be next!

AcidGirl said:
ya but the fact that syd just never seems to die is not farfetched. that seems pretty farfetched to me. and besides he doesn't kill every trained cia agent!!! dixon, jack, weiss, syd, and vaughn. dont worry though...vaughn will be next!
[post="980769"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

But see I never said that Sark doesn't die I said he always gets away.. there is a difference, if they killed Sydney there would be no show,they have shown Sydney gettig wounded or hurt many times on the show to keep a sense of realism in it.
And the comment about Sark killing all of the CIA agents was scene specific, he killed all of them on that airplane..Dixon, Jack, Weiss Syd, Vaughn..non of those characters were on the airplane.
And if anyone gets killed off next it would probably be Sark before Vaughn because Vaughn still has a major role in the plotline, unlike Sark who has been reduced down to recurring, and if DA other ventures want to take hin on as full time, I'm sure that Sark would be killed off to let DA pursue the other venues.

Still, the thing I think is crucial for the audience to like a character - even if they are bad - is that they have to have redeeming features. Sark doesn't have a single redeeming feature. THIS makes him a comic book bad guy, NOT the fact he always gets away.

Even Sloane, who is certainly a bad guy, has MANY, MANY redeeming features. He loved his wife a great deal. He was clearly emotional about his daughter and what he did to her. He has shown compassion for numerous characters, and there is so frequently an inner conflict going on when he is doing something 'bad'. Sark has no inner conflict. He has shown no compassion for anybody. He was fully prepared to give Lauren up to save his own skin. He barely showed recognition of his father. The Nadia/Sloane relationship was is similar to the Sark/Lazerey one, and yet there was absolutely nothing going on with Sark and his father. No emotion of any sort on either side. With Nadia/Sloane, there was anger - hatred even - but also compassion, a weird sort of love and pride, and a great deal of confusion...

Sark started off intriguing, with the potential to become very interesting, and ended up just plain boring, and extremely cruel.

I agree they need to put Sark back in the background and let the master baddie 'Sloane' back in the forefront. Sark may be eyecandy for the viewers but Sloane makes the storyline interesting, something Sark never did.

Here's hoping that they are getting season 4 back on track! And it looks like they just might be, I've heard Lauren Reed will not be returning and with Sark put to recurring hopefully they'll concentrate on Syds life, her missions, her conflict wih Jack and with Sloane.
No more story of henchman Sark thinking him and his boink of the month thinking they can take over their world ala Pinky and The Brain style.

Have heard that DA was filming in October finally and then the good part of the Sark storyline and the only good part in my eyes..is
He's bringing Anna Espinosa back with him!! Anna totally kicks Ass and I'm glad she is coming back, hell she may even teach Sark a thing or two!!

I hope this won't spark off a huge debate but I just had to put in my 2 cents... how can you even compare sark and vaughn? character wise? it's like comparing spike (sark) and xander (vaughn) both from buffy of course... they are both so different! I'm not putting vaughn or xander down but you gotta admit that they are both depending on the female protagonist to constantly save them... :angelic:

See you compared Vaughn to Xander when actually if you were doing a fair and accurate comparison Vaughn would be Angel, Buffy loved Angel as Sydney loved Vaughn. Angel fights on the side of good with the occasional dark moment as does Vaughn.
Just by you using Xander as the equivilant to Vaughn shows that you deem Sark as the more important male figure in the show, whereas the writers and a lot of the audience views Vaughn/Angel as the hero, the one that they would root for.

Spike and Xander were two characters with different strengths (and flaws). Xander knew he wasn't as strong in fighting as the others but he was still fiercely loyal.

I think GoodVsEvil is correct in saying that Vaughn is more like Angel when comparing the shows.

I could say more but right now my brain is dead and I can't seem to put my thoughts into words, lol.

sark is a pretty despicable character, perhaps even more of a nemesis than Sloane has ever been (though they are in cahoots)
He has a pretty remarkable British accent.
True he's from Oregon?
Could've fooled me...
MC

To me Syds nemisis is Anna Espinosa, she's the one character that really gets under Syds skin. Sloane she despises. Sark is a nuisance, her pain in the butt. The poo she stepped in and can't quite get it off of her shoe.
David Anders does a nice accent I'll give him two snaps for that.
Although I really hate the way 'Sark' is always squinting and sneering. I just want to slap the sneer off of his face and tell him to Get a pair of glasses.

Just a note... if what you hate about him are his facial expressions, then you are really hating David Anders, coz that's alll him. :lol:

I personally can't understand it, but we've had this convo before... :rolleyes:

yes it's DA but it is him in character..I've seen interviews with DA and also watched him in CSI.. those particular characteristics were not in the forefront then. They are part of DA in character to be Sark.

^^ exactly. they are a part of sark. sure, you can not like them and wish he wouldn't, but then he would be breaking character. if they are part of his character, they are going to stay there...

m-c

Back