Anti-Syd

Lol, I just read the Pro-Sydney thread. I think that they may disagree with us on some points... :confused: I would post in there but I have a feeling that that would be a bad idea so I shall say only this:

I dislike Sydney for the reasons stated numerous times in this thread by myself and others.

I call myself a fan of seasons 1, 2 and I guess 3-ish but not of season 4.

I watch the show because I kind of like the other characters, and oh yes, that little thing known as the storyline. And I will continue to at least keep up with the show in the hope that it gets better.

Sydney is, of course, allowed to have emotions. As long as she CONTROLS HERSELF which she has shown she can do very well in the past. She's a spy, for goodness sake, it's called compartmentalising. Her attitude towards Sloane in season four was shocking and so innappropriate I'm surprised she wasn't dropped into a river in concrete shoes. Or at the very least demoted.

I would have no problem with her behaviour if she were only still in character. Unfortunately, I think that she is now beyond saving and that this IS her character. It's sad.

And finally, I do not wield, nor have I ever wielded, a pitchfork because, or in the direction of this show.

The end.

i hated the i would have waited speech.

Heh, well, I was veeery Anti-Vaughn and not very Anti-Syd when watching it, so I am biased. Any particular reason you hated it?

What's the big deal about Vaughn, anyway? That question is probably better suited to a different topic.

I hated the "I would have waited" speech too, how long did she mourn Danny before she sucked face with Vaughn ? She has very high standards for others but not for herself, I guess the speech was my real first clue (as well as her attitude towards her father) that Sydney is really selfish and immature

Aww the "I would have waited" speech was the last thing I loved about Syd. ^_^ It was the last time she stood up to Vaughn, stood up for herself rather than clung to him with a death grip, forgiving his every move. But I digress...

I hated the "I would have waited" speech too, how long did she mourn Danny before she sucked face with Vaughn ?

Two years. Or thereabouts.

How long did she wait before kissing Vaughn after he shot his wife? 0.23 seconds.

The restraint is beautiful to behold.

Hmm, I was just thinking... she really did used to be so much better as a character. Because in first season, like, wow, she was strong and complicated and sad and happy and smart and a GOOD SPY, damnit. Why, why did they have to break my Sydney? Why, Alias, why?

Argh. It sucks how different she is now.

I don't think she's different, (except that she behaves like a robot), my problem with Sydney is that she has not evolved at all, but after 5 years, her flaws are just harder to miss, the first 2 seasons were so fast-paced that it was hard to breathe between scenes, let alone really analyse Sydney, now the show is just biding time, and with its slow pace, it's much easier to see the flaws in the story telling, and in the main character

Ah see I definitely think she has changed. Maybe it's subtle, but she's not as kickass as she used to be. And yes, that's part of the maturing process I suppose. But in S3 she became an emotional wreck where before in the face of brutality she had always been strong, indpendent, refusing to give in to anyone. I missed that Sydney. -_-

Well, we just see her differently, Sydneys always been an emotional wreck to me, just look at her relationship with her dad, she always behaves like a brat with him as if she were still six, with her mother she was an emotional wreck from their first scene in the cell, and I won't even mention her dealings with Sloane

Oh yeah I remember reading through the pro-Syd thread too.

And I agree that the whole emotional, crying, jumping to conclusions deal is very justified and understandable that it's been lasting very long. It's just not all that great to watch. One episode of it was good for me. But the same feeling just doesn't come through when it happens again... and again.

But now that I identify myself as Anti-Syd, I wonder if I still see problems, or if I'm looking for them. :confused:

But now that I identify myself as Anti-Syd, I wonder if I still see problems, or if I'm looking for them.

I don't think that I look for problems necessarily. They just seem clearer to me. I became Anti-Syd after the season four premiere because she seemed just so shockingly different. And then, looking back on the seasons, I saw where and how she changed for, in my opinion, the worse. I don't hate her just to hate her... I don't even really hate her, because that's such a strong emotion to feel about a completely fictional character, but I'm annoyed that she changed because it's disappointing to me.

I don't know how I think she's changed exactly... I think I agree with myosotis about how Sydney behaves like a robot. It's weird, I've been blasting her about not controlling her emotions really, but in a way I think that she should have more. Because in seasons one and two, when she was with friends, she smiled, and laughed and actually had a personality. And when she finally broke down/was allowed to show her rage (in Double Agent, I think) it was... more powerful because you know she's been holding back.

But in season four, she didn't even TRY to hold back her anger. And then when she was with Jack or Nadia or Vaughn... it was like she had no personality. All I can see in my head is her going 'Vaughn, we need to take it slow', or her in that Chinatown place thing with the annoying guy and her voice has no emotion and her face is weird and I'm on the couch after waiting 8 months for this show to come back on going 'Huh? This is not right.'

Yeah, she really is robotic. Even when she's supposed to be having fun it seems serious. She lost the Sydney-Spark.

im slowly turning off sydney to see has changed so much its like there not the same person anymore..

in series 1... eventhough she was dealing with slone and sd6 she had a littel thing with will she had a life class friends she smiled...

in series 2.... her mom came back and she was so intrested in what she was doin sheand wasnt lising to her dad how was right in the end. who side was she on

series 3... its just about her self. what about the people who loved her and thought she was dead....it was just me me me feel sorry for me i want vaughn even if i die his mine like a child...

series 4.... its was now i dont want vaughn he has to come to me before i go to him... dont tell nadia nothing about anythink.... even when weiss came to stay over she was like his staying all shocked it because vaughn wasent there she didt want her sister to have fun...cos she wasent
i hate slone i wonna kill him but i will have dinner a his house and laugh and joke with him...

why dont she leave she has a masters in english

series 4 its i want vaughn now his dead i wonna work untill i hurt my self....me and slone arebest friends i dont care about nadia ............

i could go on and on about how self centered sydney bristow has become

STILL LOVE HER THOUGH
:angry: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :angry: :angry: :angry:
:angry: :angry:
my fav are still nadia and irina why sydney wines to much about her self nadia had it harder than her (y) (y)

Any particular reason you hated it?
Aww the "I would have waited" speech was the last thing I loved about Syd. It was the last time she stood up to Vaughn, stood up for herself rather than clung to him with a death grip, forgiving his every move.
see that's not how i took it. i took it as this annoying girl who--while seeming like she was standing up for herself--was really just depressed because she couldn't have the man she wanted. i felt like she was showing her emotion through anger when she was really just feeling sad and self-pitying. rawrg. couldn't stand it.

m-c

But... We have to remember her situation at the time! She had just woken up from a seeming two year sleep, her former boyfriend married and no longer with the CIA, other friends and family similarly displaced, completely unsure of herself, who she now was, what had happened to her in the last two years... I think she was allowed some "self oity." Also, check out the words of the speech, produced below. Those were why I loved it. I don't think it was a mask for her sadness. She was pissed! ^_^ And for once, JG acted her heart out...

Sydney: Are you kidding me!?

(Vaughn appears to have some trouble maintaining eye contact, but then looks back up, again trying to put up a front of friendly concern.)

Vaughn: No, I...just wanted to make sure that you...

Sydney: You didn't come here to see how I am...you came here to see how you are, because you know in your heart what you did...you want to make sure you're okay.

Vaughn: I buried you. (pause) Consider that for what that's...

Sydney (cutting him off): Don't use rational thought as a defense with me, not after all you and I have seen. Vaughn, you and I live and breathe madness every day on the job...there is no...rational thought! I can't even pretend to have a conversation about anything else with you. What it comes down to is faith!

What I was hoping you would say is, "Sydney I gave up; I gave up on us. I lost faith."

But what you came here for...was closure...and there is not a chance you are getting that from me!

I'm not gonna (small gasp) say I understand...I'm not gonna sympathize with you and tell you how hard it must be for you... But.. You wanna know how I am!? (small gasp) I am horrible! (gasp) Vaughn, I am ripped apart! (strained whisper) And not because I lost you... but because...if it had been me... (tears cloud Sydney's eyes) I would have waited...

I would have found the truth...I wouldn't have given up on you!

And now I realize... what an absolute waste that would have been!

*cue stomp away*
(taken from SD-1)

I don't really hate syd. Loved her in season 1, but irina/lena olin took her spot in season 2. Its not really a good idea to bring another actress that 10 times the actress the star of the show is, now thats not a knock to jen, but just a fact. An not only was lena a better actress, her character was 10 times more interesting. JJ what were your thinking. :lol: When irina left so did I, season 3 was horrid for me, but I returned when lena came back in season 4. Then I stopped watching in season 5 and then I started watching again which happened to be the day lena returned to alias.

i agree with you that all i watch alias for lena she much better actress than jen........a big affence to jen even mia is a better actress than her.......imean even the baby is a better actress than jen

sorry she pushes my buttons imean everythink is no about SYDNEY BRISTOW.............that why we started this anti syd thing

Hello fellow Alias Fans! I am doing a paper on Alias and I could really use your opinion. If you do not mind me using your exact quote with your username in my paper, I would love your thoughts on any or all of these questions:

1. What is your favorite thing or your most hated thing about Sydney Bristow?

2. Do you think Sydney Bristow displays more feminie or masculine characteristics, or both? Please briefly explain.

3. As a character, does Sydney display gender as performance?

Thanks for your time!

Hello fellow Alias Fans! I am doing a paper on Alias and I could really use your opinion. If you do not mind me using your exact quote with your username in my paper, I would love your thoughts on any or all of these questions:

2. Do you think Sydney Bristow displays more feminie or masculine characteristics, or both? Please briefly explain.

Thanks for your time!
1. The thing I like most about syd is that she is loyal to her friends and family. The thing I hate most about syd is that she shows too many signs of weakness(for example in season 2, she cried alot) and she is way too trusting.

2. Syd definantly shows more feminine characteristics, which goes back to my saying she cried alot in season 2. She carries herself as a woman and thats how it should be.

3.Yes, I don't think a man could of played her role, her character is very sensitive, and it wouldn't have worked if their was a man as the lead character.

An don't get me wrong, I like syd, but to me she just shows too many signs of weakness, and I blame the writers for that. I mean she has jack/irina as parents and neither show any signs of weaknesses(okay maybe jack was a fool for 10 years married to irina but he was in love).

1- The think I like about her is not a thing, it's people actually : I like her parents. A long time ago, in season one and 2, Sydney was fun, and I liked that too.

The thing I hate the most is that she is totally self-absorbed : when she found out the truth about her mother, she never considered her father's feelings, she only wondered if her birth was part of her mother's cover. When Sloane pretended to mourn Emily's death in early season 2, he talked to Sydney about Emily's garden, and Sydney said that she could not think of Emily without thinking of her garden, it's typical of her : she can't listen to anybody without relating whatever they're saying to herself; her attitude when she learned that Vaughn had gotten married was typical as well : how long did it take her after her fiance's death to jump into bed with Noah, or to suck face with Vaughn ? She has very high standards where others are concerned, but as far as she is concerned, not so much

2- I think she is more masculine, but may be it's just because she kind of looks like a guy : no waste line, no boobs, and broad shoulders.

3- In her job, Sydney has two methods: she either charms the guy, or she kicks the guy/girl's ass. So I guess the seduction part is totally gendered, and since they heavily promote the fact that Sydney can kick anybody's butt in high heels and a miniskirt, that makes it gendered too

But... We have to remember her situation at the time! She had just woken up from a seeming two year sleep, her former boyfriend married and no longer with the CIA, other friends and family similarly displaced, completely unsure of herself, who she now was, what had happened to her in the last two years... I think she was allowed some "self oity." Also, check out the words of the speech, produced below. Those were why I loved it. I don't think it was a mask for her sadness. She was pissed! And for once, JG acted her heart out...

i just don't like the "faith" part of it. i'm okay with the rest. she can go ahead and be angry but all "i would have waited" makes me go "ummm can anyone say DANNY?" he was dead, she buried him, what if he ended up being alive? rawrg.

btw- want to know what i hated about her tonight? she killed jack! she killed him! he's become annoying like her! i used to love jack and she killed him.

m-c

Back