Any books or shows that deal with the breakup of the Federation in Star Trek?

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
With the recent Brexit event happening it made me think to the Star Trek verse and its United Federation of Planets (UFP).

Does anybody recall coming across any books (or perhaps it was covered in one of the shows) that deal with the Federation breaking up?

There are countless stories set in the verse of new planets being added and/or considered for inclusion but what if the Federation imploded upon itself and broke up? How would it impact how the Klingon Empire deals with the former UFP members? How would the former UFP members deal between themselves? Would long simmering distrust or fears result in interplanetary wars or even some civil wars? What would happen to Earth when it is no longer the home base of a galaxy mostly at peace?

none that I know of. ST is kind of a history of the Fed.
considering it's utopian nature (and the dispersed nature of a galactic federation) there would have to be some real catastrophe for the Fed to go down.
never thought of it but ST has always been very idealistic, as opposed to the Star Wars universe in which good constantly struggles against not-good in it's own back yard.

About the only thing I can think of is the Marquis, which were viewed as traitors by the Federation. Not sure if that qualifies to be honest.

never thought of it but ST has always been very idealistic, as opposed to the Star Wars universe in which good constantly struggles against not-good in it's own back yard.
Well, Star Wars VII kind of shifted the ratio of "good" versus "not-good" with the scale now leaning way over to the "not-good" side. :wideeyed:

About the only thing I can think of is the Marquis, which were viewed as traitors by the Federation. Not sure if that qualifies to be honest.
Ooooh, yeah, I had forgotten about the Maquis. Not sure if I'd call them traitors though as weren't they really just fighting against the Cardassians against the directives of the Federation?

Turns out there was a proposed TV series that deal with a crumbling Federation. "Star Trek: Final Frontier" was a proposed animated series that fast-forwarded into a future where the Federation has been reduced in size & influence. Here's the description for it from Memory Alpha Wikia (Star Trek: Final Frontier):

In late 2006, plans for a new untitled Star Trek animated web series (later entitled Star Trek: Final Frontier) were announced. This series would be set in the year 2528 and would center around the latest crew of the starship Enterprise in a darker future.

In this series, the Federation would have fought a war with the Romulans, ending in the 2460s. This war would have been started by unknown persons using a surprise attack of Omega particle detonations. Vast areas of the galaxy would be considered impassable due to these detonations. This causes a split between the two halves of the Federation. During the Federation-Romulan War, Qo'noS was taken over by the Romulan Star Empire, Andoria was destroyed, and Vulcans left the Federation (they were negotiating reunification).

In this environment, the crew of the Enterprise, led by Captain Alexander Chase, would attempt to bring back the old days of "seeking out new life and new civilizations." This Enterprise would be a Bismarck-class cruiser that fought in the Federation-Romulan War, and under Chase would start out as a border patrol ship. The ship would have a complement of Dragonfly-type craft capable of travel through the Omega distortions. The crew would include Commander Barric Holden (executive officer), Lieutenant Kaylen Donal (security chief), Lieutenant Commander "Mr. Zero" (chief engineer), and Protocol Officer William Preston.
Don't get me wrong, I would've watched it but.... isn't that description a little too close to home for the Kevin Sorobo series Andromeda which, by coincidence, ended just a year before this proposal? :thinking:

Back