Any Kindle users able to give some help?

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
I was checking out the list of available options for Simon Tall's ebook (Cool Sci-Fi discussion here) from his publishers site...

Jones and the Mammoths, an Ebook by Simon Poore

... and after seeing it was relatively short I thought it'd be a good chance to try the Kindle reader on my Motorola Droid 2. I sent the ".mobi" link to my phone thinking it would try to open it in Kindle but instead it tried to download the file and I get a message saying that the file is not a supported type.

Any thoughts? :(

Should work if you put the .mobi file directly in the kindle folder on your sd card?
Ooooh, that worked! (y) Thanks! :cool:

For anybody else trying to do something similar, what worked for me was to connect my Android to my PC (via USB) and selected the "PC Mode" connection. After that I copied the ".mobi" file to the "kindle" folder, disconnected the USB cable, restarted the Kindle app, and it works fine. Note: You won't see anything new in Kindle until you disconnect your USB cable.

Hi,

Smashwords where I published this distributes books to all kinds of ereaders/websites etc including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Sony, Diesel, Scrollmotion. They are in technical negotiations with Amazon at the moment and their books (including mine) should appear on the kindle in the coming months.

It is also on an app called 'STANZA' which you can get on the iphone - maybe this is on android too? Not sure.

Failing all of that you could always read it online at smashwords.

As an aside just so you know smashwords will publish anyones work if you follow their formatting guide and they will collect any money you make too.

My first story though is free to anyone!

Smashwords where I published this distributes books to all kinds of ereaders/websites etc including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Sony, Diesel, Scrollmotion. They are in technical negotiations with Amazon at the moment and their books (including mine) should appear on the kindle in the coming months.
I found it fairly easy just to post it directly to the Kindle via Amazon, along with having it available on Smashwords for the other site distribution...just required a little tweaking of the manuscript.

Even if Smashwords gets all the negotiations worked out with Amazon, I'll probably stick to running it down both paths myself when I have my next book come out in a month or two.

Back