Any roleplayers love in gaming lately?

And no, I don't mean cyber....

I've been casting about for some gaming which is a bit more supportive of roleplaying than the usual "we'll give you a server but we won't enforce the rules". Unfortunately it seems the more rp-centric games have gone under (SeeD, Reclamation, Ryzom) which seems to be setting a "Rp is dead" message.

Are there any games I'm missing which caters to the roleplay crowd, or are we all just gritting our teeth and trying to make do while surrounded by !££tkidz?

Do MUDs MOOs and MUSHes count as mmo? heh

Now days, it does seem that roleplay isn't a favored way to game (insert "make money" here).

While I enjoy roleplay enforced and encouraged, it just doesn't seem to happen anymore. Next best thing is to give features to roleplayers, like filters, chat controls, etc.

I'd also like to see an /ignore that actually removes that player's character from your view. heh

Games are coming out pretty darn fast, so the market will become saturated with all these 'game for everyone'. As my son says "Rated E for everyone". heh Give it 3 to 5 years and niche markets will arrive, some that will cater to more roleplay focused type players. Perhaps then we'll finally see rp focused mmorpg's.

I'd like to see leetspeakers completely banned from logging onto rp servers. It wouldn't be so difficult to flag someone's account if they go on with XXILIEKELFSXX and start dancing naked. They can play any other servers, no trouble, just come onto a rp server breaking rules, there should be repercussions for it - certain names should go through filters before people even create a character with "please choose a more appropriate name". At least that would be useful and stops trouble before it even stops.

Rp may be what I make it, but I pay for a game like everyone else. If my enjoyment is constantly ruined because of twits, then I just don't play. Games seem to give roleplayers halfmeasures because they know we'll sit there and take it. If we took our money elsewhere, perhaps they'd take more notice.

Agreed. I would love to see such a server implemented. Alas, I think that true roleplayers are such a minority and comprise such a small portion of potential profits, that they are simply overlooked. Seems the companies throw in a roleplay server now, make some promises to get as many people as possible to try the game, and then renege on those promises, not wanting to put forth the effort and money (which would be considerable) to filter the massive amount of leetspeakers and griefers (personally I would throw these in the same boat).

A name filter would go a long way, at least keeping out the more obviously ridiculous names, perhaps coupled with manual inspection of names every so often.

I would go so far as to include an extensive test, either of the lore, or of some other feature only roleplayers would know with any degree of expertise, and force anyone wishing to play on that server to take it first. I think many nonroleplayers join a roleplay server because they simply do not know the difference. Such a test, while not completely freeing the server from leets and such, would at least somewhat stem their flow. Other possibilites include making the roleplay server in some manner undesirable to your typical player unfamiliar to roleplay, and advertising the fact (and maybe putting big flashing lights, bells and whistles on the other servers). There will always be griefers, but maybe there is a way to at least keep them confined to other servers.

It would be nice to see a game with decent graphics and gameplay come along specifically targeted at roleplay, and I agree that niche games will start appearing the more saturated the market becomes.

Sooner or later developers have to go bak to this right? MUDs and such were centered around role playing, and game play. Right now, it just seems everyone is too caught up in graphics. Better graphics = better game. Hopefully it will make a circle. The graphics will get so good, that there is really nothing more developers can do. So what they have to do after that, is start concentrating on gameplay...

it probably wont happen, but it sounds nice doesnt it?

I think they're at that point as is. Even Vanguard, who claims to be the only third generation graphics user, has nothing but second gen graphics. Cards simply can't go much higher right now due to processing, power, etc.

Bring on the more indepth roleplaying content! And adenture... I wanna explore and get chased by mobs of angry Arcanums....

Trillian said:
Rp may be what I make it, but I pay for a game like everyone else. If my enjoyment is constantly ruined because of twits, then I just don't play. Games seem to give roleplayers halfmeasures because they know we'll sit there and take it. If we took our money elsewhere, perhaps they'd take more notice.

Huh. Sounds like life. Twits are everywhere and they always will be. Exclusive groups of like-minded individuals... I need to find one. Until then we'll have to just deal with the majority of people being useless, because without government sanction, we can't do anything otherwise. :-L

You mean with government sanctions we can't do anything otherwise.
Cuz I could pike me a highway full at the moment.

Kuzzle said:
Huh. Sounds like life. Twits are everywhere and they always will be. Exclusive groups of like-minded individuals... I need to find one. Until then we'll have to just deal with the majority of people being useless, because without government sanction, we can't do anything otherwise. :-L

Yay, teen angst! hehe. I'm interviewing for a company which will allow me to be a store manager no matter how weird my hair colour is nor how many piercings I have. Not all the world is angst, gloom, and woe, if you find the people who "feel you", the rest don't get you down so much. When it comes to working, I don't work with people I won't get on with (no more lawfirms for me now!) and in gaming my attitude isn't the same. I don't accept it because I do not HAVE to, regardless of what anyone says to the contrary.

If I don't like a feature, I don't go onto message boards and make thread after thread about the same thing and whinge, I just accept the game isn't for me and I find another one, taking my money elsewhere. The common misconception is roleplayers are such a minority, we're not worth the trouble. Well, truth be told, PvPers are a bit of a minority, but they're a LOUD minority, so they don't let up till things go their way. Roleplayers on the other hand will just sigh and quietly find ways round the mechanics. If a game were to cater to the roleplayer, they may have a small community, but they would certainly have a LOYAL one. The game wouldn't even have to focus solely on roleplayers; just stick to the rules they've created, really enforce them or give gamers the tools to enforce them themselves, and that alone would go miles ahead of what other games have done - and it would most certainly draw a crowd once news got around.

Back on ze topic, Kaos War is looking interesting with potential story there, so I'm keeping an eye on that one. Not sure how Uru will go but it does seem a bit less prone to the textspeak crowd; unfortunately the puzzles aren't my strong point but I still think I'll give it a try.

Personally, I would have played SeeD if it had ever gotten to a point where I could even see my avatar in the game.

Trillian's right in that PvPers tend to be the loud minority. I think it comes from what background most people share that make them enjoy these things. I'm not saying everyone in the groups is the same, but roleplayers most often are the artists, the writers, the intellects in some fashion and those are the ones that would grow up just moving if a bully came into their area of the playground. It didn't matter. They could figure out a way to have fun on the jungle gym just as much as the swings.

Pvp is a way to let out agression for some people, and the types that would use it for that and the feeling of "being on top" wouldn't let themselves be pushed around the playground (or perhaps they would, but have a mind not to be on the internet). They're more likely to want people to then conform to them than to conform to others.

Perhaps I'm just rambling on.

I like RPing, but I'm not good at it. I'd like to be an artist or musician, too, but I'm not good at that either, and that's kind of prohibitive in that field. I never just moved to a different area, though, in the event of a bully. I've always been pretty confrontational. But I don't like PvP. Maybe I'm just weird, though.

Momma said:
...but roleplayers most often are the artists, the writers, the intellects in some fashion and those are the ones that would grow up just moving if a bully came into their area of the playground. It didn't matter. They could figure out a way to have fun on the jungle gym just as much as the swings. ... Perhaps I'm just rambling on.

Or perhaps they were the ones who planned the systematic torture and mental anguish of said bully though a variety of indirect, anonymous methods. Or... perhaps by more direct means. By hiring and bribing lackeys and henchmen to take care of their problems early on, those youths could be well on their way to... say... 'taking over the state of Wyoming,' just for kicks and grins. :-?

Leaves are falling all around. It's time I was on my way.
Thanks to you, I'm much obliged for such a pleasant stay.
But now it's time for me to go. The autumn moon lights my way.
For now I smell the rain, and with it pain, and it's headed my way.
Sometimes I grow so tired, but I know I've got one thing I got to do... Ramble on.

Back