Anyone else hate fantasy?

Electric Moon

Here to conquer Earth
I used to like fantasy, but I do no longer. It seems like practically EVERYONE else likes fantasy at least a small bit, so I was wondering, is there anyone else here who completely dislikes fantasy?

I don't mind it but I think it's due to that I watch a lot of Japanese Anime and they often combine sci-fi & fantasy elements together (along with horror sometimes). I may not go out of my way to watch a fantasy movie but I don't avoid them either.

I don't mind it but I think it's due to that I watch a lot of Japanese Anime and they often combine sci-fi & fantasy elements together (along with horror sometimes). I may not go out of my way to watch a fantasy movie but I don't avoid them either.

Hnn, guess I'm the only one here who dislikes fantasy...

Though some books/movies that are supposedly classified as "science fiction" are actually fantasy, and vice-versa.

Not tryin to be rude, but do you have any specific reasons for this distaste. Personally I love fantasy, but don't like the aspect of Future Robot Beep Boop, because I don't like things seeming surreal. (Despite the fact that in fantasy theres dragons and wizards...)

*I contridict a lot.

Not tryin to be rude, but do you have any specific reasons for this distaste. Personally I love fantasy, but don't like the aspect of Future Robot Beep Boop, because I don't like things seeming surreal. (Despite the fact that in fantasy theres dragons and wizards...)

*I contridict a lot.
Maybe Electric Moon is still traumatized from watching Dungeons & Dragons with Marlon Wayans! :ROFLMAO:

I really dislike horrifically bad fantasy

Without hesitation I would have to say that SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND (1978) still sickens me.

Electric Moon, you might have seen too many bad fantasy flicks, switch to your favorite sci-fi films for a while, then get some recomendations from relatives and friends for a good fantasy movie. I like fantasy films like The WIZARD of OZ (1939) and LEGEND (1985).
:smiley:

I have a friend who is a huge fantasy film fanatic, lol has probably seen every fantasy film ever made. I don't get the obsession myself lol.

I don't "hate" fantasy, but I'm not overly fond of it either. I used to read a fair amount as a teen, but later in life I've found that science fiction speaks to me much more than fantasy. SF has a lot to say about the real world; fantasy, not so much.

I happen to love fantasy books. I used to read a lot of action and historical fiction books and I find that fantasy somewhat fulfills both criteria. In addition, with fantasy books you can find series that last 8000 to 10000 pages with a lot of complex story lines all coming together at the end. It makes them worth reading twice.

Re: I really dislike horrifically bad fantasy

Without hesitation I would have to say that SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND (1978) still sickens me.
I just saw that recently (well, the last couple of years or so). Oh, my goodness... that was a bad movie, even by my low standards. The only part that stood out was Sandy Farina as Strawberry Fields. If it wasn't for this movie she likely could have had a decent career as a singer.

That's a good question. I don't hate the genre myself.

Unfortunately, most fantasy fiction is cliched and trite felgercarb. Apparently authors never quite understood the concepts of diversity or realism.

Another problem is that ~95% of online games are fantasy-based. Where's the love for science fiction? What about horror? Or something weird?

Personally I really enjoy fantasy. Try reading the Discworld book series by Terry Pratchett that apart from being a very entertaining series it is also a good laugh.

I used to like fantasy, but I do no longer. It seems like practically EVERYONE else likes fantasy at least a small bit, so I was wondering, is there anyone else here who completely dislikes fantasy?

I like a lot of fantasy, but I am getting a bit bored with every second TV show being about Vampires.

I like a lot of fantasy, but I am getting a bit bored with every second TV show being about Vampires.

A bit of an over-exaggeration don't ya think? There's only True Blood and Vampire Diaries. Instead of complaining about how many there are, complain about how lame each one is.

I tend to dislike fantasy, about the only thing I ever liked with trolls and elves and such was the original WarCraft and WarCraft II video games... never got into the 'magic' part of it or WoW. I did however really enjoy Hercules and Xena- they were fantasy I guess but I consider it more greek/gods then contemporary fantasy.

I tend to dislike fantasy, about the only thing I ever liked with trolls and elves and such was the original WarCraft and WarCraft II video games... never got into the 'magic' part of it or WoW. I did however really enjoy Hercules and Xena- they were fantasy I guess but I consider it more greek/gods then contemporary fantasy.
Not even The Neverending Story? How about titles that crossed genres like Krull?

Fantasy is good for the imagination. One cannot use programming from TV as an excuse to not like it. To dream and or to be from imagination one can do whatever one wishes within the limits of self accepted thought. Now on TV there are a lot of good fantasies to make the mind think and grow. There are programs that are great for all age groups.

Even the vampire type shows can give imaginative story lines like that of Dark Shadows by Dan Curtis. He was a genius in how he managed his half hour soap opera. I have watched it and re-watched it and each time you see something new that was missed the first time around. I find that type of vampire show to be very addictive and encourages the imagination in many ways as things always switched gears to this or that century and making Barnabas Collins more human by showing his weaknesses and strengths added to the story flow that encouraged and allowed the imagination to ask, now what?

Any program well written can do the same thing to keep people watching by being interested in what is going to happen next after they get into the story flow. Good writers can keep the topic interesting and exciting by constantly adding unknowns every now and then that keeps the thrill of watching exciting.

The Neverending Story and Krull are good examples of good fantasy programs. Myself fantasy is good for healthy minds to enjoy and grow; especially those fantasy programs that are good for all age groups.

Fantasy is good for the imagination. Dark Shadows by Dave Curtis. The Neverending Story and Krull are good examples of good fantasy programs.

We're on the same wavelength Alvin. I also still enjoy Dan Curtis's The STRANGE CASE of DR JEYKLL and MR HYDE (1968), The NIGHT STALKER (1972) & The NIGHT STRANGLER (1973).

Has anyone else seen the animated film WIZARDS (1977)? Mark Hamill was one of the voice actors.

It's still fantasy though unless you believe in Greek gods. Besides there's nothing contemporary about fantasy. It can be about just about anything in any setting.

Back