Anyone having problems with the PC game?

I've tried installing the PC game on four different computers in my house, and I don't know what to do, so I decided to ask around. I install it and when I put in disc 2 (after it is installed) and double click on the icon, i get the message "Please insert disc 2" then, if I insert disc one, I get the menu. I say "Play Alias" and I get two pop-ups. One says "Failed to create instance of VMR9" and the other has a complaint about my Direct X. I have 9.0 installed and I don't know what VMR9 is, so if anyone is out there that can help me, please do!!

cg said:
[post="955618"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I just baught my alias game for my pc and laptop and I'm having the same problems. :thud: :blink: So, I need help, too! I really need my Alias fix! :lol:

its because of your video card. if you are on a laptop im betting you, it wont play. laptops arent the greatest for gaming. if you have a desktop you cant have a geforce 4mx card, they dont work with this game. if you need a new video card i suggest getting a ati 9200 or better, get out of the geforce ones they tend to not play the newest games too great. also you need atleast 256mbs of ram but i would have 512 as the min because the game is a little graphic heavy and needs all the ram it can get.
if you have any other questions please send me a message i would be glad to help.

scope

Kathy said:
I just baught my alias game for my pc and laptop and I'm having the same problems. :thud: :blink: So, I need help, too! I really need my Alias fix! :lol:
[post="975288"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Kathy said:
[post="975288"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I would concur with scope's analysis. VMR stands for "Video Remix Render". It's part of the DirectX 9, hence VMR9. This is an alternative to the overlay, which has been around for years. VMR9 works closely with 3D graphics cards and allows video to easily be treated like a texture on a 3D surface.

What video card do you have?

Xin Li

Kathy said:
Stupid question, where is the video card? :blink:
[post="978641"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

If you are using a laptop, you are not going to be able to replace your card easily. The easiest way to find out what you have is to right click on your desktop, and select properties. Then go over to the Settings tab (5th tab) and click on the Advanced button. Then in the next popup, cick on the Adaptor tab (2nd one I think). There it should tell you your Adaptor type. That's what kind of video card you have. Your card needs to be good enough in order for you to play Alias.

Xin Li

To all that want to know.

Most laptops cant play high end games without like 128mb of memory just for the video, and most laptops dont do that. I know my bro's laptop is made for gaming and I couldnt get this game to work on it.

As for desktops you need to have a directx 9 enabled card. that doesnt mean having directx installed that means you need a card that was designed for directx, ex ati 9600 and up or the nvidia fx cards and up. it acclaim said that you could use a geforce 4 as long it wasnt a geforce 4mx card which most cards that nivida makes are.

My suggestion to those who want to play this game. If you have a desktop computer go to your local computer store and see about upgrading your video card. they run around the price of $100 - $150 for a card that will play this game with no problems and you wont have to upgrade ur video again for a few years. If you have a laptop you might be s*** out of luck since you CANNOT change the video in a laptop without changing the whole mobo and at the cost of the mobo you could just go out and have someone build you a gaming desktop.

Scope

mobo means motherboard for all you that dont build computers we are lazy people and dont like typing out long words if we dont have too.

To everyone having problems with this:

I was hesitant to buy the game for the PC because of the issues with my graphics card.

I have a laptop - and for laptops, it's very hard to upgrade the graphics card - almost impossible for some. First of all, they're not available at stores, so don't even try. Graphics cards on laptops are made by the manufacturer of your computer, with the chip from the brand of the card (nVidia, ATI are the 2 most common makers of graphics cards). So the size and fit of graphics cards are different from laptop to laptop.

And they're not nearly as good usually as ones sold in desktop PCs, and are even more expensive.

I'm gonna do my research before I buy - I doubt my nVidia GeForce MX Go 5200 graphics card on my 3 GHz Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop is good enough to play this game, but I'll still contact Acclaim to ask if it will.

Either get a new computer or visit your computer company's web site to see if upgrading your graphics card is even possible.

Dell's new gaming-friendly laptop, the Inspiron XPS, is real good for games. And I think the Inspiron 9100 is good for games too...

it wont run because you have a mx card. the mx is a cheap chip and it cant handle alot of the high end graphics. i would look in to a fx chip set for a nvidia card since they are made for gaming or get anything ati since ati is the gaming video card company.

hey everyone well i thought i had all the right specifications for the pc game but i guess not it's my video card. I have a Geforce 2MX and it says its not compatable with the 4MX and damn i want to play this game so i can forsee myself getting a new video card in the near future lol.

Does anyone know any other ways around this problem, other than getting a new video card?

Thanks
Erin

if you had a geforce 2 you should upgrade anyways not just to play this game but to play any newer game.

WOW, i never knew playing the alias game on your computer was so complicated. And i was waiting for it to come out on PC too. Thank goodness my parents got me a PS2 and the Alias game along with it. Now... i just have to find the time to play :lol:
--mandy :angelic:

ETA: Just tell me, is there ANY chance in the world it would work with a SiS 650 video card? :lol:

um, im thinking not but i could be wrong
mystery_chick said:
WOW, i never knew playing the alias game on your computer was so complicated. And i was waiting for it to come out on PC too. Thank goodness my parents got me a PS2 and the Alias game along with it. Now... i just have to find the time to play :lol:
--mandy :angelic:

ETA: Just tell me, is there ANY chance in the world it would work with a SiS 650 video card? :lol:
[post="989336"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

OK, have just installed a sapphire ATI Raedeon 9600 graphics card, the latest drivers from ATI. I'm sure Diresct X 9 is installed. Have also installed windows media player 10 and win XP service pack 2.

I have also re-installed the Alias game. I have a P4 1.7 gh with 512 meg of ram and lots of hard drive space.

When I click to start the game, it asks me to insert cd disk #2. This is the same message I got several hours and a new video card ago. I am stuck at this point and am unable to play the game. I am not able to get on the acclaim web site for tech support. Any one have any ideas?? What about other forums or sites on the Alias PC game, are there any??

Did you buy the game? if you did, you need to contact Acclaim, because their stupid copy protection obviously is malfunctioning. They will most likely send you a replacement. You might also try going to whatever store you bought the game at and exchanging it. And if you downloaded the game, then I'm not going to help you there.

I just installed the PC game and the felgercarb dont work!
I'm getting that "Please Insert Alias Disk2" bullshit!
frackin hell! :angry:

GR. I have this problem too. My video card is the NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT. Is there any other way????????????????????????????????

Back