Anyone Playing Guild Wars?

blur

Cadet
I've wanted to play Guild Wars for a LONG time and I'm finally doing it. A few other TCOers are getting back into it (TCO used to field a sizeable little GW team at one time). So this thread isn't about recruiting, per se, but just curious to see if anyone out there was playing and maybe wanted to knock around with us in game from time to time? Heck, maybe if you really like us, you might want to join, but our GW presence is really tiny at the moment and I doubt you would. Now if you wanted to join us for HJ on the other hand... :smiley:

I played their weekends prerelease and their first year. Lovely world. Can't be beaten (although some areas of LoTR do). I like their AI, not overly complicated, but it combined with their design makes instances tad tough at times. Love how mobs converge on you. PvP was great at first but lost interest when the pro gamers moved in for the prize money. I'm just not that good. :smiley: I do their beta weekends for each expansion so I can see what has changed. Awesome world!

Major downfall, it's totally instanced which means very little if any community. Guilds have limits so you don't have large community there (but small is good).

Monk/ranger was by far my fav. Innovative, stunning world, interesting game play. Instanced world = loser. *shrug*

I'm with Seeria here. I have it, and when the fancy strikes me, I play. I've played it since early beta, and try out the new expansions, though I have yet to buy one. It's definitely very well done, but as Seeria mentioned, those pro's are hard to compete against, and wipe me out. I'm not a huge fan of PvP since Shadowbane, though GW has definitely got a good thing going for their PvP. I just can't compete with most of the folks there, nor can I tolerate the kiddies... so if I play, I usually am questing or doing PvE if possible.

Daax said:
The biggest thing on that game to me was the pvp. Some of the hardest pvp I've ever tried in an MMO.

That is the point of the game. Guild vs Guild PvP aka Guild Wars ;) It is very good PvP, I will give it that... but the neverending "RAWR! Kill! Maime! Destroy! PvP!" gets boring and tedious after a while. To me at least.

I guess it depends what kind of team you have together... for mine, it's the interaction and fun of working as a team, moreso than what's actually happening onscreen, that matters.

I really liked GW when it was in Beta. They changed a lot with the release (ie: nerf bat) and it never really held my interest after that. I have played it a bit, but I have recently uninstalled it from my PC, perhaps for good this time.

I got it, and didn't really like it. Though it did really good for a game that didn't require a monthly fee in my opinion.

Before you do that, Trillian, I would just caution that the RP opportunities are LOW in GW. Although it looks as good (actually, a lot better), than most MMOs, it doesn't tend to play like one and generally people are in there to play it as a game, rather than RP. Can you RP in it? Yes indeed. But will you find a passionate RP-centric community in the game? Nope. Not that I've come across yet.

Think Diablo II, but with the most awesome graphics available.

Decent group of people. Problem with GW rp is the instanced world so the small niche that does roleplay has to work rather hard at it. Might be better now but the first year was full of purposeful harrassment from non-roleplayers.

Also, you can't change your look. I mean, it's like, you level up, then you run and grab the next best armor. It's worse than in FFXI, which is saying something...

Heh, I was roleplaying in early EQ, and loving it. A graphics queen I ain't. So far I'm liking it, but I got the most recent campaign and it seems most of the people I'm looking for still hang out in Cantha. I'll keep an eye out.

Yeah Prophecies Campaign is the original and is all I have so far. Interesting link, Trillian, I've developed mini-backgrounds for my three main GW characters but have never ran across people RPing (which kinda makes since with how the game is set up with missions and instanced areas).

They seem to gather in some place in Cantha called Fisherman's Wharf or something. There's also meet and greets regularly in all three campaign areas. I think the reason you don't see them roleplaying often in the open is all of the SNERTS and non roleplayers running amok who would spoil the fun. I've already got a good 30 names on my ignore list myself! But hoping to make a wee bit of contact and I'm currently doing the Nightfall version, but I'm trying to get Factions at the moment as I want to have a look round that version and also potentially get a more interesting pet than a warthog heh.

Back