AP testing!

sd6452

Cadet
I just wanted to say, it's unfair how they're in the first week of May! A few days ago, I was like "I don't need to start studying, they're all the way in May!" And yesterday I realized May is next week. :hmm: Like everyone else... I'm so umprepared, especially for history! I feel pretty OK with bio. I was flipping through the practice tests for AP bio, and I was like, "HEY I KNOW THAT!!" But history... hah, maybe the book is carrying the wrong answers? (n)

I do feel your pain Leslie.. I did all that when I was in high school. I didn't take AP Bio, but I did take AP History. That was a b**** of a test. I had the entire AP book, all 450 pages of it commited to memory. That helped on the multiple choice. But the essay questions are actually more about major themes in history and less about the picky details. Though of course if you had a few dates and names to backup your point, all the better.

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>AAAAHHHHH!!!!! AP TESTING AAAAHHHHHH!!!!</span>

LOl i seriousy need to get that anxiety out of my system and sit down to do some serious studying -_- -_-

Marlene said:
AP European History is the death of me...coming my way May 6th...yay!
[post="1321859"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Aw, I liked AP Euro. I had a crazy woman as my teacher. The test wasn't THAT bad. Multiple choice you can reason your way through and you get to pick which essay you want to do.

AP Physics on the other hand...:shudders:

ms.katejones said:
Aw, I liked AP Euro. I had a crazy woman as my teacher. The test wasn't THAT bad. Multiple choice you can reason your way through and you get to pick which essay you want to do.

[post="1321988"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Ahh..I was exactly the opposite..Hated the history exams and what not. Loved the AP physics exam..didn't even study for that one.

xinli11 said:
Ahh..I was exactly the opposite..Hated the history exams and what not.  Loved the AP physics exam..didn't even study for that one.
[post="1321989"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

You didn't STUDY? Actually I didn't really either b/c it was mostly about knowing the formulas, which they give you, but still I felt like my brain had been hit by a hammer after that thing. I didn't even answer one of the free responses about lenses (we learned about them towards the end of senior year when I had pretty much stopped paying attention.)

I somehow got a 4 though. Still, some people I know got 1s. No one got 1s on the history exams.

Ohh I would've been in trouble if we had to do questions on optics..back then it wasn't my fav. topic. I didn't really get into optics until holography became one of my side hobbies. Mine was on gravigation and newtonian physics., which is ohh so easy.. I still remember the question:

Suppose we were able to drill a tunnel completely through the center of the earth, nad we were t odrop a tennis ball down the tunnel from the top of the earth and watch the ball fall. Describe the motion of the ball, and graph the positoin of the ball inside the tunnel with respect to time, and graph the velocity and acceleration as well.

Xin Li

ms.katejones said:
You didn't STUDY? Actually I didn't really either b/c it was mostly about knowing the formulas, which they give you, but still I felt like my brain had been hit by a hammer after that thing. I didn't even answer one of the free responses about lenses (we learned about them towards the end of senior year when I had pretty much stopped paying attention.)

I somehow got a 4 though. Still, some people I know got 1s. No one got 1s on the history exams.
[post="1321996"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Hmm, I'll be the first person you know to get a 1 on the ap US history exam then! I'm so seriously unprepared. Should I even try studying for it? Or should I just spend all my time with bio since I stand a good chance with that.

How is AP physics? I'm taking it next year. :o_O: Which means I'll be taking AP calc b/c next year too. :heh: And the college counselor person told me those were the two hardest courses offered at our school. :hmm:

AP calc BC wasn't bad. I mean if you did well in AB, then BC should come fairly naturally. But maybe I'm not the best judge of that. Math has always been easy for me, despite my recent rant about how math is the art of stating the obvious. AP physics has its rough patches.. Some of the electro magnetism stuff gets a little nasty.

Xin Li

I'm taking the AP World History exam on tuesday! It's coming up so fast...& I tried using a study guide/prep book thing & there's just so much to memorize. Of course, that my teacher was less than stellar, didn't exactly help either & I heard last year, only 3 kids passed the AP World exam with the highest score being a 3.

VaughnFan13 said:
I'm taking the AP World History exam on tuesday!  It's coming up so fast...& I tried using a study guide/prep book thing & there's just so much to memorize. Of course, that my teacher was less than stellar, didn't exactly help either & I heard last year, only 3 kids passed the AP World exam with the highest score being a 3.
[post="1322264"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Yeah I can imagine. And sometimes passing with a 3 is not enough for you to place out of the course in college. Like at the University of Illinois, where I had my undergrad, you needed a 4 at least. Plus, they made you take some competency exams for like cacl, physics, chem, etc. And if you don't do well enough on those exams, even if you had a good AP score, it still not might work. So you need to take a close look at the course waiver policy for the specific college you are interested in.

Xin Li

The important thing for the history tests is not to let yourself get bogged down in dates and details. If you focus on the order in which events happened and the reasons behind them, you should do fine.

And I have to agree that AP Physics gets pretty hard towards the end with magnetic flux and photons and stuff.

xinli11 said:
AP calc BC wasn't bad.  I mean if you did well in AB, then BC should come fairly naturally.  But maybe I'm not the best judge of that.  Math has always been easy for me, despite my recent rant about how math is the art of stating the obvious.  AP physics has its rough patches.. Some of the electro magnetism stuff gets a little nasty.

Xin Li
[post="1322034"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Heh uh oh, at our school you have a choice of taking AP calc AB OR BC, no one takes both. :thinking:

sd6452 said:
Heh uh oh, at our school you have a choice of taking AP calc AB OR BC, no one takes both. :thinking:
[post="1322904"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

So you're taking BC w/out having taken AB? What other math have you taken?

Because I would think that to do BC you would need to build off of AB, at least that's how it was at my school.

There's new material added on. Calc AB is basically a semester of college level calc, while BC teaches you a full year of college level math. So it goes faster, because it needs to cover like twice as much material. When I took BC, some of the stuff was review for me. But there is definitely new material.

ms.katejones said:

[post="1321988"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I actually enjoy the class and the curriculum alot...just well not that I have the exam this Friday and I figured out I don't retain proper info well...like dates and names...I have a strange way of remembering people (thank you Mr. Hackney and your never ending side babble about everything we learn) so I don't think the English prince dude that slept with everyone under the sun is a legitmate term to use..."some time before the French Revolution..."

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there will be topics and a DBQ that I know really well.

If I have to know the specifics for the French Revolution I am going to die...I can never seem to get the French Revolution straight seeing that practically everything in the moderate phase happened in 1789...and the national assembly has like 10 different names because it keeps being slightly modified....oye. :Crosses fingers: UNIFICATION OF ITALY & GERMANY (focusing on cavour and bismark)...scientific revolution...enlightenment (minus philosoph specifics)...anything with Adam smith...causes of the French Revolution!....WWI....industrialization....please test me on the things i know...it's not to reassuring that I got 35/80...when I tried a practice test....

Marlene said:
If I have to know the specifics for the French Revolution I am going to die...I can never seem to get the French Revolution straight seeing that practically everything in the moderate phase happened in 1789...and the national assembly has like 10 different names because it keeps being slightly modified....oye.  :Crosses fingers:  UNIFICATION OF ITALY & GERMANY (focusing on cavour and bismark)...scientific revolution...enlightenment (minus philosoph specifics)...anything with Adam smith...causes of the French Revolution!....WWI....industrialization....please test me on the things i know...it's not to reassuring that I got 35/80...when I tried a practice test....
[post="1324650"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I wrote my essay on Bismark. We had to compare him to Metternich. (God I forgot how to spell that already!) My other essay was contrasting the religious policies of Elizabeth I of Eng. and Isabella of Spain.

I forget the DBQ b/c that's just about using the sources they give you.

Good luck though, I bet you'll do fine. :D

VaughnFan13 said:
I'm taking the AP World History exam on tuesday!  It's coming up so fast...& I tried using a study guide/prep book thing & there's just so much to memorize. Of course, that my teacher was less than stellar, didn't exactly help either & I heard last year, only 3 kids passed the AP World exam with the highest score being a 3.
[post="1322264"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
ugh...i'm taking that too...in less than 13 hours. i'm not ready! it doesn't help that this is the first year they're testing on history before 1000 CE, and i need at least a 4 to get credit at UNC Chapel Hill. and i've got Statistics and German in the next three days. someone please, have mercy and kill me now...

Back