• In the days ahead we will be doing a mass pruning of user accounts that have never posted in the forums. If you have not yet posted, please do so soon to prevent your account from being deleted!

Apple's Biggest Flops

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
While Apple seems to be on a success streak lately with their offerings it wasn't always that way. I know, I know... shocking! :D

While I am currently a Wintel user and earn a living programming using Microsoft tools I actually started off years ago on an Apple ][e. My own personal first PC was a Commodore VIC-20 which was soon replaced by a Commodore 64. Around that time my brother got his first Apple ][ which would lead to several years of Apples in the family. As time passed various Apple models came & went along with some Amiga models and even the occasional odd Mac or two. Eventually I got into building my own PCs and was soon drawn into the world of burning EPROM chips and soldering piggy-backed memory chips on full-size expansion cards. Those were the days.

[img2=right]http://www.whitecordcult.com/gallery/files/1/07_usb_mouse_thumb.jpg[/img2] From Wired, here's the list of the biggest flops from Apple (comments mine):
  • Newton - I remember working PT at the local Egghead. These things were the size of a brick, weighed as much, cost a small fortune, and had some nice features. It was like putting a modern hybrid engine in a 78' Ford Granada.
  • Pippin - A game machine from Apple? Perhaps if it was actually marketed under the Apple branding it would've had a chance but Apple guts in an ugly case marketed by Bandai in the game section did not stand a chance.
  • Twentieth Anniversary Mac - A futuristic looking Mac that would've looked perfect in the Hammer-Schlemmer catalog or in a Disney "Office of Tomorrow" display. Too bad the specifications were all retro.
  • Macintosh TV - Take a standard Mac and put a big monitor on it with a TV tuner; sounds good. Wait... what do you mean that you can't watch TV in a window? You can only switch the monitor between the TV or computer? Um, no thanks.
  • Mac Cube - I actually liked this one! I thought the design lent itself nicely to being on a office desk and actually being visually appealing instead of being a boring plain box holding the the computer components. The top loading ROM was a nice touch. Apparently it was considered too expensive.
  • Apple //c - Back in the late 80's I remember our local high school having a bunch of //c machines. They were perfect for the setting because their smaller size, as compared to the standard Apple //e, meant they could be in narrower spaces and also on A/V carts. This is another Wired choice that I disagree with.
  • Puck Mouse - Come on, a round mouse with one button?! Did Apple actually expect people to use that thing?
  • Lisa - Before the Macintosh was the Lisa. Windows based GUI with mouse controls, dual floppies... it was all there. Aimed at businesses, Apple's sales team had a hard time convincing business owners that spending several times the amount of a comparable PC was worth it.

Tom

An Old Friend
I remember the neighborhood computer house. It had a room ddicated to this big machine that made lots of clicking and humming noises. Never did understand what the dad used it for.