TV Are there any "conservative" sci-fi shows?

To the original question, I don't remember watching anything after the first Star Wars movie that is 100% conservative. Just about everything before original Star Trek was 99% conservative.

And not to take sides, but I'd say the norm now is to promote a certain view or broader morality. There are so many things now writers and producers obviously put in for whatever reason, that were never part of a story line prior to original Trek. Roddenberry touched on a limited number of things from time to time, today I see many things that would have been censored prior to 1980. They seem to be the core of the story with sci-fi simply the backdrop.

Perhaps noticing all of that comes down to ones ability, or desire, to block out the political and purely focus on the sci-if. Having to do that doesn't work for me because it's too much work. I watch or read for enjoyment and relaxation. I have to deal with political felgercarb all day, on the news, at work and in social media. I don't want to be drawn into in my sci-fi when I just want to be entertained.

Interesting... the word felgercarb (c.r.a.p.) became felgercarb automatically.
:D Yeah, there's a filter on some words that I put in long time ago just to have a little fun. I think I must've been watching too much BSG classic at the time since "felgercarb" is from the original series (the "re-imagined" reboot used "frack"). Just checked... there are 5 replacement words defined, two get replaced with "felgercarb", one gets replaced with "frack", one gets replaced with "frackin" and the final one gets replaced with "gorram" (from Firefly).

To date I think you and @Tom are the only people who have noticed.

Ha! I don't mind, I just hadn't noticed before, perhaps because I don't usually use words that require a filter. I wish there wasn't a need for a filter but it's a good idea. Like with the the pc stuff, I don't come here to read poor vocabulary either. Alien Soup is a great place to relax and enjoy myself. I have to hear all the other stuff too much at work, Walmart, etc. it's nice not to have to here.

To the original question, I don't remember watching anything after the first Star Wars movie that is 100% conservative. Just about everything before original Star Trek was 99% conservative.

And not to take sides, but I'd say the norm now is to promote a certain view or broader morality. There are so many things now writers and producers obviously put in for whatever reason, that were never part of a story line prior to original Trek. Roddenberry touched on a limited number of things from time to time, today I see many things that would have been censored prior to 1980. They seem to be the core of the story with sci-fi simply the backdrop.

Perhaps noticing all of that comes down to ones ability, or desire, to block out the political and purely focus on the sci-if. Having to do that doesn't work for me because it's too much work. I watch or read for enjoyment and relaxation. I have to deal with political felgercarb all day, on the news, at work and in social media. I don't want to be drawn into in my sci-fi when I just want to be entertained.
When a show leans too much to any direction instead of entertaining, and it gets preachy and boring, I grabs the remote and clicks the channel to hopefully find a "good" show of my likings.....:cool:

:D Yeah, there's a filter on some words that I put in long time ago just to have a little fun. I think I must've been watching too much BSG classic at the time since "felgercarb" is from the original series (the "re-imagined" reboot used "frack"). Just checked... there are 5 replacement words defined, two get replaced with "felgercarb", one gets replaced with "frack", one gets replaced with "frackin" and the final one gets replaced with "gorram" (from Firefly).

To date I think you and @Tom are the only people who have noticed.
Is a good thing I know what felger carb is, Hey I was at the docks yesterday working on the boat, and some dude from Penn commented on the family boat, he had a penn state flag flying over his dock. He was a very dry person and so was his wife. So my Texas style answers were short and to the point. He wasn't too southernly friendly, so I gave him a nod and played my Lynard Skynard music while I worked. Funny thing bubba was in Texas and not penn. LOL!;):D Then a Texan walks up and offered me a beer and some bbq, and asked if I would turn up my music, ahhhh, Native Texans, truly a breath of fresh air....

I'm sure they loved it! I hope you were playing Sweet Home Alabama! :love::ROFLMAO:. I went to Alabama in Tuscaloosa, Roll Tide! My oldest daughter went to Penn State for Marine ROTC and her husband went to Pitt, he's Navy, both are pilots.

We love Texas! Great, friendly people. We've spent time all over the state from Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, to Amarillo, no matter where you go the people are GREAT! Best brisket in the world too!

Alabama is the same, we speak to everyone, anywhere, anytime. Southern hospitality is very much alive here. Even if you're a... Yankee. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I noticed in the last few Star Wars films
the good guys / rebels are a rainbow coalition of colors, genders and species
but the bad guys / First Order are almost totally white and male. and human.
political correctness.
of course the same is true in most genres in today's entertainment.

I'm sure they loved it! I hope you were playing Sweet Home Alabama! :love::ROFLMAO:. I went to Alabama in Tuscaloosa, Roll Tide! My oldest daughter went to Penn State for Marine ROTC and her husband went to Pitt, he's Navy, both are pilots.
Navy pilots, awesome! I think I have family up there in penn, or relatives. Congrats on the graduations! I love Sweet home Alabama, it was one of the first songs I learned on my first guitar the Strato caster, They absolutely rock!!!!:cool:

I noticed in the last few Star Wars films
the good guys / rebels are a rainbow coalition of colors, genders and species
but the bad guys / First Order are almost totally white and male. and human.
political correctness.
of course the same is true in most genres in today's entertainment.
I think that's why I love the Empire, LOL! Vader totally rocks!:cool:but I also like the rebels too, r-2, the princess, so its kind of a tie, get it, tie as in tie fighter. LOL!:Dteo, teo, teoooo...

I like the Alien series, why, because its hard core sci-fi, very lost n space, and space 1999. Just some characters in space, dealing with gnarly planets, critters, the company<always something, lol;) and just when you think its safe, wammo! space critter time! boo!:P
aliens-listing.jpg
I still would love to see the space marines, and scientist visit a fully Giegeresque planet, that has no plant life and that planet is completely bio-mechanoid. Completely scary, and one would have to have a de-fib near by to finish the film. LOL! And im talking about the whole surface of the planet, suit and helmet needed in 80% of its, the planet surface, with some small pockets of "breathable" air...and the land scape would be dotted with small pockets of aliens, and space jockeys, the ones with the elephant like head....H_R_Giger%20Art%2064.jpg

Depending on how you look at it you could claim most dystopian series are conservative or even reactionary. A prime example is the Empire in Star wars, we're never quite told why they're evil they just are. But then you consider the size of the galaxy and how much stuff they have to run they're pretty damn functional. It's all fun and games for the plucky rebels to take down the evil Empire but then you see the Empire was the only group keeping any sort of order in the galaxy and it's a free for all in the power vacuum. Usually stories end right before this happens and everyone is cheering and happy that the evil bad guy is gone, but have no system set up to replace the now screwed galaxy's daily management.

If you want to dip into the prequels you can point out how the Jedi gave up their ideals over time and became more loosey goosey with things. This lead to Anakin being put in a position of power he never should of been in which lead to them all being killed. Through that lens you could argue that the prequels are a moral lesson about keeping to your traditions and not letting new shiny things lead to your downfall.

One problem you have with politically correct sci fi is they try to write evil characters of an opposite political ideology. They end up writing characters that people come to really like because they're often speaking truths we're not allowed to say in such a climate. I believe it was Dreamfall chapters which included a guy supposed to be evil because he was anti immigration/had racial bias. He became the most popular character of the first episode and the writer was really pissed off about it. The same thing happened with Archie Bunker, Judge Dredd and many others. It turns out people like masculine personalities who will stand up for their ideals even when it's not something they're supposed to agree with in public.

Alternatively you could claim science fiction has never been conservative by it's nature of including women in hostile environments. Basic biological differences mean unless you're planning to populate an area then you don't want to take women over men. Their bodies aren't designed to handle harsh environments and trauma as well as mens are, if you're putting women in front line space combat or sending them to the science fiction version of the North pole's first exploration then you're already fudging biology massively. The only real exception to this is if you need a stronger immune system for some reason. It's one of my big pet hates in science fiction that leans towards the hard side of things. You have all these ideas it's wanting to explore and then you have a 5 foot nothing woman carrying a smart gun around because the author really likes Aliens. I don't know if it's ignorance of biology, just part of fiction so never considered or an active political stance but it spoils things for me. A prime example of this is Day after Tomorrow, Tom Cruise isn't even that big of a guy and yet his co star (who in the movie was supposedly his equal) found the action scene so difficult on her body she broke down and started crying. The reality of the physical differences are just hand waved away even as it's staring people right in the face.

You could go further with this and argue about the social make up of male only groups, female only groups and mixed groups within a military setting but it's hard to find good evidence for this. Talking to squadies you get a lot of stories about the problems it's caused them, but if you look at the media and people at the top they claim it's 100% the best thing ever and there isn't a single problem. I know my mates weren't happy when they had to find 4 more beds in their overcrowded housing because an entire house had to be given to just the 1 female team member to avoid any potential problems. All of this just gets hand waved away in most settings and they make men and women completely interchangeable. I've considered writing some stories with realistic biology in a science fiction setting but I'm concerned with the laws in my region I could suffer legal consequences for it. With "hate speech" type laws if someone was offended a woman was inferior to a man physically then I could face punishment for it. It doesn't matter that studies have shown after 14 years old every (non-disabled) male is stronger than any woman alive by 30-40% depending on the body part. It's simply too taboo and is it really worth risking punishment for a self published novel? Maybe this last sentence says a lot about the state of science fiction and how much we're really allowed to explore these days and why there's a lack of true conservative ideas in the genre.

LOL! Not chavo' but macho! LOL! Macho=manly, tuff guy, real hero! Bro, don't play pro Foot ball, don't join any military branches, don't be a cop, fire man, repair man, truck driver, work at a bar, don't ride motor cycles, don't do any thing macho, ok? lol;)361_mr_t_gold_chains_sparkling.gif54947f75ab516_Randall-Tex-Cobb-Daniel-Royce-Earthquake-Toberman-MacGyver.jpg243961.png1329967811_buzzcut_answer_4_xlarge.jpgJust keep on keeping on.....

Last edited:
Depending on how you look at it you could claim most dystopian series are conservative or even reactionary. A prime example is the Empire in Star wars, we're never quite told why they're evil they just are. But then you consider the size of the galaxy and how much stuff they have to run they're pretty damn functional. It's all fun and games for the plucky rebels to take down the evil Empire but then you see the Empire was the only group keeping any sort of order in the galaxy and it's a free for all in the power vacuum. Usually stories end right before this happens and everyone is cheering and happy that the evil bad guy is gone, but have no system set up to replace the now screwed galaxy's daily management.

If you want to dip into the prequels you can point out how the Jedi gave up their ideals over time and became more loosey goosey with things. This lead to Anakin being put in a position of power he never should of been in which lead to them all being killed. Through that lens you could argue that the prequels are a moral lesson about keeping to your traditions and not letting new shiny things lead to your downfall.

One problem you have with politically correct sci fi is they try to write evil characters of an opposite political ideology. They end up writing characters that people come to really like because they're often speaking truths we're not allowed to say in such a climate. I believe it was Dreamfall chapters which included a guy supposed to be evil because he was anti immigration/had racial bias. He became the most popular character of the first episode and the writer was really pissed off about it. The same thing happened with Archie Bunker, Judge Dredd and many others. It turns out people like masculine personalities who will stand up for their ideals even when it's not something they're supposed to agree with in public.

Alternatively you could claim science fiction has never been conservative by it's nature of including women in hostile environments. Basic biological differences mean unless you're planning to populate an area then you don't want to take women over men. Their bodies aren't designed to handle harsh environments and trauma as well as mens are, if you're putting women in front line space combat or sending them to the science fiction version of the North pole's first exploration then you're already fudging biology massively. The only real exception to this is if you need a stronger immune system for some reason. It's one of my big pet hates in science fiction that leans towards the hard side of things. You have all these ideas it's wanting to explore and then you have a 5 foot nothing woman carrying a smart gun around because the author really likes Aliens. I don't know if it's ignorance of biology, just part of fiction so never considered or an active political stance but it spoils things for me. A prime example of this is Day after Tomorrow, Tom Cruise isn't even that big of a guy and yet his co star (who in the movie was supposedly his equal) found the action scene so difficult on her body she broke down and started crying. The reality of the physical differences are just hand waved away even as it's staring people right in the face.

You could go further with this and argue about the social make up of male only groups, female only groups and mixed groups within a military setting but it's hard to find good evidence for this. Talking to squadies you get a lot of stories about the problems it's caused them, but if you look at the media and people at the top they claim it's 100% the best thing ever and there isn't a single problem. I know my mates weren't happy when they had to find 4 more beds in their overcrowded housing because an entire house had to be given to just the 1 female team member to avoid any potential problems. All of this just gets hand waved away in most settings and they make men and women completely interchangeable. I've considered writing some stories with realistic biology in a science fiction setting but I'm concerned with the laws in my region I could suffer legal consequences for it. With "hate speech" type laws if someone was offended a woman was inferior to a man physically then I could face punishment for it. It doesn't matter that studies have shown after 14 years old every (non-disabled) male is stronger than any woman alive by 30-40% depending on the body part. It's simply too taboo and is it really worth risking punishment for a self published novel? Maybe this last sentence says a lot about the state of science fiction and how much we're really allowed to explore these days and why there's a lack of true conservative ideas in the genre.
You said a mouth full bro, good write up! I just saw the Han Solo film, and after watching it the Empire is looking better and better! LOL!
Darth-Vader-animated-funny-animation-with-Princess-Leia.gif

Back