area conquest

area conquest! :🤤:

just thought i'd have a thread going on how GMs could keep any one 'faction' from being too powerful and thus make this concept achievable.

I'm not too sure about how to keep one side from being "too powerful". Though I do believe that Simu is going to be using Clans, Guilds & Great Houses to control who has control of the Triumvirate.

~ Jaraeth

So basically the most powerful clan/guild will have control and be no. 1. Or there could be faction wars because I heard there were three sides in this game, the Archanum, the Gearsmiths, and the Forest people or something.

I don't think they should incorporate in-game limits on faction power. If one is dominating all the rest on a server, wouldn't it be fun to be part of a "rebel" faction - one of the underdogs?

Originally posted by Riceman@May 18 2006, 10:01 PM
wouldn't it be fun to be part of a "rebel" faction - one of the underdogs?
All you heathens will be overwhelmed by the glory of the Arcanum or its magical might. The choice is near-inconsequential, but it is yours.

Originally posted by Riceman@May 18 2006, 10:01 PM
I don't think they should incorporate in-game limits on faction power. If one is dominating all the rest on a server, wouldn't it be fun to be part of a "rebel" faction - one of the underdogs?
I agree. I hate it when a gaming company limits how 'awsome' you can be. Whereas, if you do the best, you SHOULD BE THE BEST!!!

If one faction becomes the most powerful, you have 2 more to fight them and overthrow them. So it would be a constant battle for control. It would be sweet! IMHO

Originally posted by JonDDA@May 19 2006, 07:35 PM
If one faction becomes the most powerful, you have 2 more to fight them and overthrow them. So it would be a constant battle for control. It would be sweet! IMHO
I really enjoy that idea, FFXI had that idea, but it was flawed. No one nation could ever hold a territory for more then a week. Also their wasn't PvP. Hopefully HJ offers some original PvP.

Ok, I believe I have been corrected on some issues... though I don't remember where, and when. This is how I am led to believe factions will work within HJ, and there *will* be factions, and fighting for power, I am almost 110% certain of that.

I have been told recently, that the "Triumvirate" itself, is another faction. Only GM's can clarify on this, whether it is truth or fallicy. Thus, there will be Nature, Gear, Arcanum and the Triumvirate itself.

The three factions should be self explanatory. Each faction has it's home city (which I don't recall at the moment, and being at work, don't have the time to research and link to). There is one "neutral" city which is the home of the Triumvirate, and is the ruling body of Elanthia... it hopes to bring peace to the skirmishes and outbreaks between the three factions.

Thus, my guild will be aligning with, if it is truth, the Triumvirate. Peacebringers FTW! hehehe.

~ Jaraeth

Oh and by the way Jaraeth, Im really thinking about joining your guild.

ONTOPIC

Yes, the power struggle would be cool. And are their going to be certain bonuses depending on your faction? (kind of on topic)

Originally posted by JonDDA+May 19 2006, 06:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JonDDA @ May 19 2006, 06:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Oh and by the way Jaraeth, Im really thinking about joining your guild. [/b]

Cool :smiley: Now I just gotta spend some time on the graphics for the website. Anyone good with graphics? hehe... I'm mediocre, but not sure what style I want ... hmm.. ok, not to be off topic, if anyone is interested in Peacebringers, see the Clans, Guild, & Great Houses forum ;)

<!--QuoteBegin-JonDDA
@May 19 2006, 06:03 PM
ONTOPIC

Yes, the power struggle would be cool. And are their going to be certain bonuses depending on your faction? (kind of on topic)
[/quote]
I don't recall where/when I heard this, but I believe with about 60% certainty that if a particular faction has greater control of the Triumvirate (as far as I know, each of the three factions will be able to have "seats" on the triumvirate, kind of like a Board of Directors), then that faction will have a slightly higher benefit in the world. I'm not sure what kind of benefits, be they experience, chance to hit/crit, or whatever... that's too far out there for me to speculate or offer anything on.

If that still holds true though, how would that work in a RP way, specifically how would control of the Triumvirate cause the world to shift it's "aura" or benefits through out the lands, in a way that would fit with HJ Lore?

~ Jaraeth

I have no problem at all with there being a dominant faction, but HJ really needs to base how much power someone has on more than sheer numbers. I hate the whole "mass recruit own the server" thing. Power should not be determined by how many random invites a guild can send out. Something to think about: China has the world's largest army with 2.8 million soldiers, but they are far from considered the most powerful.

I'm not exactly sure what else we could base power on, but it needs to be more than numbers. Maybe reputation, fame, political influence *shrug*.

I highly doubt whatever benefits people get will be all that large. That is, if Simu doesn't want HJ to turn out to be a better version of GuildWars, which I'm all against ;)

I also would believe you'd have to work to obtain seats in the triumvirate. All in all though, I'm not sure how it'd all work out. With the method of having "seats" in the triumvirate from the other three factions, why make the triumvirate another faction? In essense, the Triumvirate, as decribed to me earlier, would be another faction, thus kind of defeating the purpose of winning favor for one of the other three.

At this point I definitely, more than anything, want more information on the workings of Clans, Guilds, Great Houses, the three factions & the Triumvirate and how they tie into each. We have little to no info on Great Houses at all, and next to no info on how the three/four factions will work, or if there's even a system in place yet.

So for now, it's all pure speculation on our part.

~ Jaraeth

i think the 3 great powers, Gear, Archanum, and Nature will be battling in some way for control or rank or power but the Triumvirate will either be a sort of council in-charge of judging and deciding the rules for the struggle or they will be a neutral main-stay city between all 3 like Jueno was in FFXI online.

Back