Aria

A/N: I'm a sucker for love songs, so it was pretty inevitable that I'm doing a series of song fics of the songs that 1) relate most to VSR and 2) I really like. Songfics are new to my writing scope, so if there's anything that you do not like, please, tell me. If I get a lot of negative feedback on this idea, then I won't post parts 2 to 5 ;)
Timeline: (For Part One: ) Post-Telling, definte before Crossings
Relationships: Sydney/Vaughn fragment; mentioned-Marshall/Carrie

ARIA
By Jalyn/secretlives

Part One of Five of the Aria series
Separate Lives – Stephen Bishop

Why are you wearing that ring?
You’ve been missing for almost two years.

--​

You feel your heart sink as the thoughts from that conversation kept running through your head. You are confused, lost, and worst of all, the man you love isn’t yours anymore.

Your near-perfect world comes crashing down.

--​
When you're alone in your room
Do I feel lonely too?​
--​

You once told yourself that Daniel Hecht was the man you would marry and live with for the rest of your life. You would quit the service once the time comes, and you would create a family with the man. You might even be given an honourable discharge from the CIA for your services all these years.

Of course, this plan would have worked very well if SD-6 was indeed part of the CIA. The harsh reality is that it isn’t, and they had him killed because you told him. That’s when you find out about the truth, and you went on a rampage. A rampage to avenge your fiancé’s death that led you to join the real CIA on a quest to take down The Alliance, the organization which had sanctioned the hit for Danny.

That’s when you found him. Your would-be soul mate, lover, boyfriend, and god-forbid for now, husband. The first time you had set your eyes on him was when you had a swollen jaw, bruised limbs and a throbbing pain in your head. He cracked a joke that you had smiled politely at, but at that point of time, all you had wanted to know was whether you had been accepted into the CIA.

You needed someone to talk to the night your father stood you up for a dinner date. Mochtar had died, and all you needed – wanted – was someone that you could talk to. So you had called the person you thought would understand – him. You poured your heart out to him, and with the carousel and the peals of laughter as your backdrop, he had assured you then that you could call him whenever you felt like you needed someone to vent out on.

--​
You have no right to ask me how I feel

--​

Tears flow down your cheeks as you sit alone at your desk. You’re desperate enough not to show anybody that you’ve been crying, so you dry them quickly and walk swiftly to the bathroom. You look into the mirror and question yourself – Who am I, really?

You have been Kate Jones. Victoria King. Marie Robinson. Rita Stevens. A million names have been assigned to you, but the most important of all – have you ever been Sydney Bristow? You ask yourself again and let out an audible, defeated sigh, because you already know the answer to that:

The only times you have been Sydney Bristow were when you were in love with him.

--​
You have no right to speak to me so kind

--​

You can feel your head pounding, and as you walk over to a private corner in the office, you steal a glance at his desk. He’s not there, and you don’t know if you want him to be or not.

The day you woke up in Hong Kong was the day a big part of you died. The things he said stung you. You would have waited, you told him. You shouted, and then you wonder if the deal is still on – the one where you could call him anytime, anywhere. You suppose it is not, because he is a married man now.

--​
I held on to let you go
--​

You figure that the person you should thank most is Eric, because he was, simply put, the glue that held you together through this disheartening period of your life. But no matter how much you want to forget, you cannot.

All you can think about is the happy endings the both of you could have lived if you had not chosen to fight Doren that fateful night. The night that had robbed you of your very existence and even now as you think about it, you feel something crumble from within. You know very well that he had loved you then, and you wonder, for a moment, if he still does now.

Because the awful truth is, you are still very much in love with him. Everything has changed since then, but your love for him has become a constant.

--​
I can't go on holding onto ties
Now that we're living separate lives
--​

You should know, in addition to being the new NSC liaison, I'm also Michael Vaughn's wife.

You remember being stunned. Yes, you understand that he is married. And yes, you also realise that unless by some chance of a miracle, unless his wife turns out disloyal, you can never have him again. But what you had not expected was the torrent of emotions so brutally real even the sweet ones turned bitter. You want to move on so badly. But the haunts of bittersweet memories have broken you - Even the lost memories of the two years.
--​
There was no way to compromise
So now we're living separate lives

--​

You feel the hot tears threatening to fall off once again. This time round, you are certain that your co-workers have seen them. You see Marshall hovering in the background and you welcome the simple gesture of solace he provides as he smiles at you. From the side door, you see Carrie, who has a huge bump by now, walking towards him and the two of them wave goodbye to you.

This is only a testimony of how everything has changed. Even the most minute of minutes have, but one thing has not and you feel the blinding ache of it in your bones everyday.

Your love for him has become an undercurrent of pain and you let out a sob from the knowledge that you will never heal from this blow. You know that the greatest thing in life is to love and be loved in return, but you also know that he cannot love you anymore.

You cry, with no one to dry your tears.

You cry, as the ache in your heart proves too painful to bear.

You cry out loud, not bothered if anybody is looking.

You cry, because you know you can never love anybody else that way.

You cry.

--​

Someday I might
Find myself looking in your eyes

But for now we'll go on living
Separate lives

--​

1/5
---

A/N: So, how was it? Worth continuing? If anybody wants a copy of this song, feel free to PM me and I'd upload it to my radio.blog and broadcast it over my website. In case you were thinking there was no plot in this, then I've got to clarify that I've got most of my thoughts planned out. The final part should reveal everything that it should, but this series will take place mostly through Season 3, and brushes across Season 4, which I will take it on to a higher level by continuing my own version of the relationship.

Which should be my typical fluffy angst, heh. :smiley:

Wow, that was amazing!!!! :thud:
Very sad, too :cry:
Please continue!!! Your writing is great!
Could I please have a PM when you post the next chapters?

You skipped past your memories again, tears flowing down your cheek as you sit alone at your desk. You’re desperate enough not to show anybody that you’ve been crying, so you dried your tears quickly and walked swiftly to the bathroom. You look in the mirror and question yourself – Who am I, really?

Favorite part #1

You cry, with no one to dry your tears.

You cry, as the ache in your heart proved too painful to bear.

You cry out loud, not bothered if anybody was looking.

You cry, because you know you can never love somebody that way.

You cry.

Favorite part #2

I'm speechless!

xO laur

:cry:

Oh my goshness!!! That was so bwilliantly written... And oh my gosh, I'm just speechless!!! *stares in awe* That was absolutely BRILLIANT, the way you wrote it, each and every word just felt perfect :D BERRY BERRY BERRY worthy of continuing!! Pleeeeeeeeease? *gets down on knees and begs* You just have to!!!

:notworthy:

Absolutely awesome. :P

Cai
x

Author's Notes: This chapter is set Post-Crossings, and pre-Unveiled. Enjoy, but .. Yikes. I didn't like this chapter myself, but I thought it was necessary. :P

---​

You glance over at her desk.

She’s not there, and she’s not going to appear any time soon. You wonder if you wish for her to be there or not because of certain incidences that have taken place, causing the distance between the two of you to grow incredibly vast. A pensive look settles on your face.

Instead, your wife appears right in front of you. She smiles, mumbles something incomprehensible and gives you a kiss. You try to return the smile by forcing one onto your face.

“How was North Korea?” she asks. Your heart skips a beat at the mention of that particular mission. You were going to die. You were going to spend what was supposed to be the last moments of your life with her. You were going to die together.

‘We’ll find each other. We always find each other.’

Remember when I was young and so were you
And time stood still and love was all we knew

You wonder. You wonder if had you been given the chance, would you have chosen to die right there and then? Would you want to spend eternity in a happier place with fluffy clouds and sugar-sweet happiness with her? Of course, now you doubt the part about fluffy clouds and eternal happiness, because you aren’t sure if you’re supposed to go to heaven after you die.

After all, you’ve already made a lot of mistakes in your life, but the biggest one was to let her go.

“So? How was it?” Your wife persists. You grunt a reply and you notice the same look of disdain on her face. You’ve been noticing her silent protests for quite a while now, but you convince yourself once more that she is just tired physically with her work as the NSC liaison, or simply tired of all your excuses, late work and everything in between.

From the corner of your eye, you see her walking in with Weiss.

In my life, there is only one person.

To where we are,
Where we've been

---

“You know what? You're a good guy, you don't want to hurt anybody, but it’s pretty much guaranteed you're going to hurt everybody.”

You focus your strength on the cue ball as you shoot for the blue one. You miss, partly because of Weiss’s statement.

“What are you talking about?” You reply him, trying to play it down. Inside you, you know what he had said was entirely and exactly true – You’re pretty much guaranteed to have hurt Sydney. You know you’ve hurt her too much, but duty calls. You’re still bound to Lauren in matrimony.

“Come on, what do you want me to say? If you think I'm going to tell you to stay in a loveless marriage...”

Your instinct makes you retort.

“It’s not a loveless marriage.”

Yes, there was a lot of love. Love for Sydney, love for her smile, her touch, her kisses, her body… Lauren was a foregone conclusion. But yes. Lots of love indeed.

“Whatever. And if you're waiting for me to tell you to leave your wife for another woman, you can forget about that, too,” he shoots back, and aims for another ball. He misses, so you take the cue again.

“Do you think you can be in love with two people at the same time?” you ask, playing innocent again. You know you can only be in love with one woman. You have been in love with that woman since you’ve met her, and even after you had thought she was dead. For the sake of your duty to the vows you had made, you pretend that you love Lauren. She loves you, you are sure of that, but do you love her?

The game ends with a cynical remark about the Spice Girls, and the conversation too, abruptly.

There was joy, there was hurt
Remember when

“Every day I wish I can go back in time, but I can't. And as much as I... as much as I still have feelings for you, I won't be the other woman, not ever.”

You nod mutely, but you still manage to reply her.

“I know.”

You certainly do, because she won’t be ‘the other woman’. She’s always been the only one, but you know from the moment you had said ‘I do’ in front of the little audience you had had for your wedding, it was gone. At that time, all that was running through your mind were thoughts about Sydney. You had substituted Lauren’s name for Sydney’s, although at some point of time you became aware that you were being unfair to Lauren.

You give her a smile. You don’t want to look at her expression – of hurt, confusion and betrayal. You turn away.

Vowed we'd never give it up
Remember when

---​

You go through it carefully. You take the perfect opportunity to tell Lauren that it isn’t working. She thinks you are talking about the watch. You are not. You are talking about your marriage. Her first instinct is to question why, then she goes on to accuse Sydney.

That’s when you break. You insist it isn’t because of her.

But you know, deep in your heart, it probably is. Then again, it could be your conscience eating raw into your heart. You look at Sydney and get the same pang in your heart each time. You know you are right in doing this.

---​

“Lauren and I are separating. When we get home, I'm on Weiss' couch,” you announce to her one day, on the plane. She looks surprised, then uncertain. She questions.

“Are you sure that's what you really want?”

“It is.”

It is. It’s everything you could have done in your power. You know you sound unreasonable – to yourself, to your marriage, and most of all, to Lauren. But you also know that if you don’t do this, you’d be sorry for the rest of your life.

On the return trip, she speaks up.

“I am sad for you, for you and Lauren, that you have to go through this. But I'm also hopeful. That's what scares me.”

That’s what is scaring you too, you admit. You hang your head, then raise your eyes to meet hers. On the spur of the moment, you ask her if she’d like to have coffee when you get back. She agrees readily.

When you got back to the Headquarters, you were aghast to learn of a terrible truth – Senator Reed has committed suicide. Without hesitation, you step forward to console Lauren. That was what your mother had taught you since young: Be a gentleman. Add that on to the fact that you’re a boy scout. Loyalty runs through your veins, and you can’t bear to see the woman whom you are married to become scarred.

You don’t dare to look at her.

You are afraid of the look in her eyes. That same look of betrayal and confusion. This time, it is probably glistening with tears.

You had caused these tears.

Later in the night, you call her on your phone after you had made sure that Lauren was asleep. You can hear her crying, and it breaks your heart.

But you are a boy scout and a gentleman on top of that. You can’t leave Lauren now, not after this fiasco.

You sigh, as the ache in your heart grows.

You sigh heavily, as you walk back to your bed.

You sigh, as you think of how much she must be hurting now.

You sigh.

Remember when…

2/5

:shocked: This is one of THE BEST fics I've EVER read! The way you describe everything.. :thud: You should be a writer. Are you a writer? You'd be like *the* most famous writer in the world if you got something published!

:nonono: that was nowhere NEAR crappy! I can't wait for the next chapter!

I really can't get over how amazing this is..

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: (muhaha beat that, Cai!)

xO laur

Laur - Hehe, me, a writer? Nah, not even remotely! Like many, I'm still a student, and I write as a form of solace to the neverending pile of homework that the teachers' assigned... ;)

Thanks for that wonderful comment, though! I really appreciate it. :D

This was awsome! I love the way you put it in second person. Awsome, very very good, can't wait for the fluff though. I'm a sucker for some good fluff! thankies for the pm!

Oh my GODDD!!! :woot: Love the angst... I shouldn't be saying it, since I love Syd and Vaughn together... But I absolutely can't get enough of this fic. DUDE! It's one of the best ever!!! Just every single word... Gosh!!! It's amazing how you write!!! *stares in awe* It was just unbelievable, that chapter!! And the first one too... I'm still not over that one yet :P

YOU SO TOTALLY ROCK DUDE!!! :woot: NEVER doubt that, ever ever ever :lol:

And...

LaurenRachael said:
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: (muhaha beat that, Cai!)
xO laur
[post="1268282"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

... Ohhh, so you wanna a begging war, eh Laur? :P

*drumroll*

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

:angelic:

Update soon!!

Cai
x

Back