Politics Army Recruiting Scandals

Jamison

Cadet
Investigation Prompts Recruiting 'Stand Down'
May 11, 2005 10:51 am US/Mountain

The army will halt its nationwide recruiting efforts for one day this month to review procedures in the wake of a CBS4 News investigation. Friday, May 20 has been targeted as the probable date of the stand down.

The initial report into questionable recruiting tactics involved two Golden, Colo. recruiters. The two men allegedly instructed a high school honor student, who said he was a dropout drug addict, in ways to falsify a high school diploma and beat a drug test.

A Grand Junction, Colo. youth also told CBS4 News of recruiters who broke promises, falsified forms and got him a laxative to lose weight.

CBS4 News' affiliate in Houston, KHOU-TV, and reporter Mark Greenblatt, recently aired a story about questionable recruiting practices where a young man was threatened with arrest.

The allegation involves a phone message in which it appears a recruiter threatened a young man with arrest if he didn't show up for an appointment.

Chris Monarch, 20, said he considered joining the army. He even went so far as to talk to recruiters. But after the arrival of a baby and the opportunity to become a firefighter, he changed his mind.

"I got a call last Thursday," Monarch said. "I recognized the name. His name was Kelt."

That would be Sgt. Thomas Kelt, an army recruiter in a Houston-area mall.

"I told him I am a volunteer firefighter and eventually I'm going to try to get a career in that," Monarch said. "I'm just not interested in that [the army] any more and I just hung up the phone."

But Kelt called back and left this message.

"Hey Chris, this is Sgt. Kelt with the army, man. I think we
got disconnected. Okay, I know you were on your cell, probably, and just had a bad connection or something like that. I know you didn't hang up on me. Anyway, by federal law you got an appointment with me at 2 o'clock this afternoon. You fail to appear and we'll have a warrant. Okay? So give me a call back."

Monarch said he took the call seriously.

"He was a sergeant in the army, so I believed what he said," Monarch said. "I was worried."

Monarch's dad was livid.

"It's one thing to threaten me, but to threaten my kid, it's unbelievable," Chuck Monarch said.

Chris Monarch said he called Kelt back.

"And he said, 'Oh, Chris, don't worry about that, that's just a marketing technique I use,' " Monarch said.

The general in charge of recruiting for the army was played the tape of the phone call.

"It's really an insult to other recruiters who are handling themselves and conducting themselves in the proper way," said Maj. Gen. Michael Rochelle.

As for Sgt. Kelt, he declined to comment.

Army officials now say the military branch will devote a day to review its recruiting procedures and values.

Recruiting for the military is down...and understandably so (we are at war with Americans dying every day)...but this is plain awful.

I saw an interview with an ex-army recruiter who said that he recruited about 75 people during his time and that at least 98% of them were recruited under false pretenses.

I hope this day off helps...although with the pressure to recruit a certain number of people, I'm not sure it'll get better.

Moonlite Star said:
yeah ive read about a lot of falsifications just to get people to sign up for the army. its really sad...
[post="1340782"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I completely agree. Not only is it awful and unethical...but do these people think that soliders fighting over there in Iraq want the guy next to them to be some high school drop out with a drug problem? Of course not!

Itz tha Dreila said:
this is just wrong..
[post="1345900"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

It is appalling. That poor kid who got the phonecall really believed that he could be arrested. I heard the phone call, the military officer sounded really scary and serious. If it hadn't been for his dad, that kid might've joined the military out of fear...which is disgusting, that he'd be forced into it like that.

Itz tha Dreila said:
that's sick.. good he didn't join
[post="1345918"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Oh definitely. They're lucky people are still joining after all of this. If I ever had any intention of joining the military (which I didn't), it would've come to hault after this. It's disgusting. And if I were fighting in Iraq, risking my life, I wouldn't want the guy next to me to be someone who was sent over there under false pretenses. I would want it to be someone who actually wanted to be there, not someone who was scared into it.

Itz tha Dreila said:
yea exactly. my neighbor wants to join the armed forces.. personally I don't see why  :Ph34r:
[post="1345943"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Even if I had wanted to, there's no way my parents would've let me. Before the war, my dad always thought it was a good option to pay for college...but now it's so not worth the risk.

Jamison said:
Even if I had wanted to, there's no way my parents would've let me.  Before the war, my dad always thought it was a good option to pay for college...but now it's so not worth the risk.
[post="1345945"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
It's differently not an option for me.. I would never even want to risk my life for America. My parents would probably be proud of me if I did, sadly. They're so annoyingly conservative.

That's disgusting and the military's policy on recruiting doesn't help anything. A man gets promoted depending on how many people he recruits. The military's just asking for stuff like this to happen.

Also I feel so bad for those soldiers who signed up for a one year or 6-month term in Iraq and have ended up being there two or three years. The military is supposed to uphold honor, yet everywhere you look their top officials are lying to someone else and trying to cover up yet another scandal.

[quote name='Queen Anne's Lace' date='May 18 2005, 05:07 PM']That's disgusting and the military's policy on recruiting doesn't help anything. A man gets promoted depending on how many people he recruits. The military's just asking for stuff like this to happen.

Also I feel so bad for those soldiers who signed up for a one year or 6-month term in Iraq and have ended up being there two or three years. The military is supposed to uphold honor, yet everywhere you look their top officials are lying to someone else and trying to cover up yet another scandal.
[post="1345975"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
[/quote]

Exactly. They're even calling back reservists! These people were just in the reserves and only had to serve 4 years...their 4 years are up, but the government is going to make them go back to Iraq. It's so sad.

Jamison said:
Exactly.  They're even calling back reservists!  These people were just in the reserves and only had to serve 4 years...their 4 years are up, but the government is going to make them go back to Iraq.  It's so sad.
[post="1345984"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Exactly, those poor people. It's like the government owns them now. But still, the only way to fix that problem is to recruit more people. It's one giant circle.

Back