Politics Arranged Marriage

Do you agree with arranged marriages?

• No, people should choose their own spouses.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, all marriages should be arranged.

• Yes, as long as both parties agree to the match.

• Total voters
well i come from the culture where everyone gets arranged marriages, and i even think my parents want me to get one!!! but forced arranged marriage aren't as big as they were like aaaaaaages ago!! i mean my couzin got married, and her parents found and man for her and she spent some time with him and theyw ere both happy so they got married!!! so it isn't that bad!!! but i could be!

ms.katejones said:
As an American it is hard for me to relate to the idea of arranged marriage. My friend who plans on having one (her parents want her to finish college first) says that the point of marriage is to get to know your partner and that the Western way of doing it ruins all the mystery. So it really does depend on how you look at it.
[post="1213018"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I'm from the USA also, and this is sort of hard to relate also. I've never heard/met of anyone in my family or friends getting an arranged marriage. Heck, I can't say that it would be bad doing it more often. We have a 60% divorce rate, maybe arranged marriages can change it a little!

people should be able to choose their own mates.... but i mean if both of them are like 'yes i want an arranged marriage' sure go for it ... why not

being Indian, i am pretty familiar with arrange marriage even though i hate it
here's my view on it:
if both the people are ok with the arranged marriage then sure, go ahead
BUT if they're not ok with it, the parents should wake up and see that we're in the 21st century
sure, if you're really rich and stuff, you wouldn't want your kid to marry some random off the street, i agree with that
but i think that marriage is based on love
and love marriages are just so much better because it makes everyone happy
and the parents have to have their kid's best interest at heart so they should be able to get over the kid marrying someont they don't want to

For a succesful, long-lasting marriage, there are two important ingredients:

Romance and Compatibility

- In Love Marriages, the Romance is taken care of, but you have to work a lot on Compatibility...

- In Arranged Marriage, Compatibility is taken care of, and you just have to work on the Romance :smiley:

- In Forced Marriages, you have to work on both - as neither of them is considered. It's awfully ridiculous :(

We have a large Hmong community in my town, and arranged marriages are common place. I have a friend who is Hmong and had an arranged marriage. She was one of the top people in our class, a straight A student. But she's not able to go to college, because she needs to stay home and be a wife to her husband. She's miserable.

I'm sure arranged marriages work in some cases and have a long standing tradition, but I for one think you should be able to marry whoever you want to.

I am against arranged marriages. I think everyone should have his/her own chance to pick their spouse because everyone should get to experiece love in their life.

A lot of people use statistics to argue that arranged marriages must be successful. But after spending prolonged periods of time in a society where arranged marriages are the norm (India), it only confirmed what I knew before - and what I'm sure most people here realise.
The reasons these marriages appear to be successful and the reason why divorce rates are so low is because the consequences the people involved - ESPECIALLY the women - face are far worse than staying in a marriage that is unhappy, and perhaps even abusive.

Back