Season 3 As long as I'm alive

V

verdantheart

Yes, I do have a couple of extra things to say about Jack Bristow that I didn’t say in the Family column this week (I’m just slow). Just a couple of things, but here goes.

Here we see Jack working behind the scenes, even criminally, to save his daughter. This is nothing new. But there is a difference. This time, Jack and Sydney are in sync, working together. During the first season, Sydney needed to adjust to and comprehend who her father was. She could not trust the man whom she had seen as a distant, uninvolved, and unimaginative figure--especially when he turned out to be something else entirely than what she had always imagined him to be.

And just as they were coming closer and their work together at SD-6 was forcing them into a position of mutual trust, Irina stepped in. And Sydney’s desire to trust her mother combined with her father’s fear that her mother would use that trust to fulfill her own goals to the extent that it would irreparably harm or even kill Sydney in such a way that father and daughter were again separated. Follow that? Whew! Try as though Jack might to be honest with his assessment of Irina and even discuss Sydney’s feelings about her--not easy for him--Sydney simply wasn’t being honest with herself. She insisted that she was being objective when she wasn’t. And Jack, opposed on all fronts, felt forced to go it alone and wound up in a losing proposition (trying to nullify her immunity agreement). So eventually he ended up going it alone on plan B, an even more subtle subterfuge--playing the sacrificial lamb.

But now we seem to have progressed a bit beyond where we were at the beginning of season 2. We haven’t seen Sydney take Jack’s arm yet, but here they are, working together. Jack has had enough trust in his daughter to tell her the hard facts of her situation and keep her up to date on what’s happening. Not only that, he tells her he’s going to do something about it. And although Jack doesn’t share the details of his plans with Sydney, she must know that he might well have to resort to means that are less than completely above-board to get her out of her problems. Jack, in fact, has to resort to hiring a computer criminal he had formerly dealt with in--shall we say--somewhat less favorable circumstances to help him corrupt Marshall’s work in time to buy himself and Sydney time to learn what has happened to her.

There’s another change (and perhaps this should be in the family column). Jack’s treating Sydney more like an equal than he ever has before. They’re working together on more of an equal basis. Sure, he still has a father’s goals (the NSC won’t tear Sydney’s mind apart while he’s living), but he explains them to Sydney now. And although Jack only say’s “I’ve taken care of it,” Sydney is now aware of the situation he’s addressing and Jack knows that Sydney realizes the implications of his words, and of her thanks. He expects her to be able to maintain her focus and handle herself on her own when she has to. And she really had to in “The Two” (3:01).

Meanwhile, Jack quizzes Sydney on Lauren’s response to her and with good reason. Lauren is investigating Lazarey’s death. Is he assessing how personal a turn things are likely to take if Lauren gets her nose on the right trail? Jack conveniently volunteers to assist in the investigation to keep an eye on her--and Marshall.

Jack’s interaction with the hacker is classic Jack. He literally lets money do the talking. When the hacker objects to the deal, saying that Jack’s proposal violates his parole, Jack simply tosses an envelope filled with cash on the table. When he complains about the deadline, Jack responds with a stony silence. Not much for negotiation. “You can kiss me,” indeed.

Random thoughts . . .

Wondering what happened with Jack’s own investigation into Lazarey’s death. What did he find at his and Irina’s FTP dropsite?

On a similar note, I’m wondering what he did with Sloane’s leads on Sydney & what they contained.

"As long as I'm alive--" That's Jack's pledge to his daughter, isn't it? To protect her with his life. To make that promise his first priority--for as long as he's alive.

And, really, don’t you think it’s time Sydney invited her father to dinner again? You know he’ll probably be too shy to ask her. Hopefully she’ll think to invite him to Thanksgiving dinner this year . . .

Discuss . . .

Do you agree that Jack is treating Sydney less like a child and more like an equal now?

Do you think Jack sees Lauren as a potential enemy for his daughter?

Need I even ask whether you agree that Jack did the right thing in breaking the law to protect Sydney’s secret?

Next:
Jack becomes so desperate that he resorts--gasp!--to trusting someone (who isn’t Sydney, that is)?

Do you agree that Jack is treating Sydney less like a child and more like an equal now?

Yep. def more as equal than in previous seasons. but more like daughter too.

ye, but not because of her association with Vaughn - thats too trivial for Jack. I think he's just worried that when Lauren starts digging she might find something about what Syd's been up to in her missing two years.

Need I even ask whether you agree that Jack did the right thing in breaking the law to protect Sydney’s secret?

you needn't - course he was right :smiley:

Cool column btw.

Discuss . . .
Yes. He is treating her totally as an adult right now.

With Jack’s game theory strategic view of the world he probably sees anyone as a potential enemy for his daughter. This is the spy world you trust no one totally. Right now Lauren, Dixon and Marshal are potential enemies as they have been assigned duties that could hurt her. Jack probably keeps a running pro vs. con list in his head for each person and tries to keep emotion out of things. This is why Jack is always reluctant to share info using the Spy World maxim of need to know.

No Jack is doing wrong in a absolute world. But because the government being willing to hurt Sydney to get her memories it is wrong as well. The spy world is always grey never black or white.

hmn....i dunno...in a way i do think he is treating syd as an equal..but then again the whole fatherly thing with protecting her and making her his first priority...kinda throws off the equal bit..but i must say i'm totally LOVIN' jack so far!!

ohhh good one...i dunno...i see her as a potential enemy. i think that lauren will do whatever it takes to preserve her marriage to vaughn even if that means turning syd in...and i think that it would be personal to lauren. but yes i think that jack does see lauren as a potential enemy...simply b/c she is working on the investigation and if she finds out it is syd...she will go past dixon to report it....

well to me...of course jack did the right thing....syd's his baby...even if it is kinda weird to think bout it like that...shes his little girl...i think he is trying to make up for lost time now. he thought he lost her and now he has her back...i think he will go to any length to make it known to her that he loves her and will always be behind her...make sense? probably not lol

Jack becomes so desperate that he resorts--gasp!--to trusting someone (who isn’t Sydney, that is)?
i'm not sure i uderstand this question...i mean he already trusted irina...which is someone who normally he wouldn't have trusted but he did....is that what you mean?

I see it more as Jack is simply opening himself up more, really letting Sydney get close to him.

Of course. Jack's always been protective of Sydney. Lauren is investigating Lazeray's murder and, no matter how Jack feels about Vaughn, she "stole" the man his daughter loves.

No. ;)

Wondering what happened with Jack’s own investigation into Lazarey’s death. What did he find at his and Irina’s FTP dropsite?
Hey, what did happen with that, anyway? I completely forgot about it...It's weird they didn't at least mention it. Maybe the info hadn't come through yet? I hope that if they can't get Lena Olin to come back, they at least do more things like that to indicate her presence. It's weird...Lena Olin might be one of the only actressess in the world who's capable of being just as powerful and mysterious when she's not seen as when she is. (If that even makes any sense at all.... :confused: )

Sarahmañana said:
i'm not sure i uderstand this question...i mean he already trusted irina...which is someone who normally he wouldn't have trusted but he did....is that what you mean?
This refers to the written promo at ABC's official website--and, no, it's not Irina.
;)

so who is it then??
does it say on ABC?
I'm hoping it's Vaughn - i'm dying for Vaughn tosee the video of Syd killing Lazeray and having to keep it a secret for his stinky wife to save syd!!!

Absolutely. He saw the tape and realized things had changed. He obviously read the report from the agents sent to bring Sydney back (along with Vaughn, but he wasn't in the CIA). She did not come meekly. They had to bring her down with a tranc! I think Jack saw that when he saw the tape of her killing Lazarey (who by the way is possibly someone who isn't what they seem - innocent).

That's a possibility! He isn't willing to let her (Lauren) see the tape because she might become as big an enemy as Lindsey. I think he'd more or less like to give her some problems to think about other than Sydney. (Next episode).
:D :D :D ;) :woot: :woot:
Or to put it in words: I am chortling, snickering, and falling down on the ground in a fit of laughter or maybe it should be rolling on the ground in "gales of laughter."

:cool:

Yup, I do. Again, he thought he had losther for so long, but now he is trying to make amends. It's kinda sweet!

As an enemy? No. Technically they are working together, but I think he knows they will clash, and perhaps not get along at all, but I don't think enemies...rivals maybe.

No. He was wrong! Hehehehehe...just kidding. Besides, Jack wrote the guys terms of parole. Jack is always right, even if he is wrong! :lol:

Back