Asian Clique!

yay this is exciting i thought there were no asians on this board . . .
i'm half chinese and half german (actually i'm 7/16 german and 1/16 danish)
i don't speak chinese either and its really sort of awkward whenever we have these big family get togethers, ppl are always trying to talk to me in chinese (even my grandma) and it takes me a while to explain to them that I DONT SPEAK CHINESE
and then they go and talk to each other in chinese about me and all i can understand is "blah blah christina blah blah" its kind of embarrassing, i feel bad that i'm not "respecting my heritage" or something
plus, turnipcouch is constantly teasing me about how bad my chinese is

Crawstinium said:
i don't speak chinese either and its really sort of awkward whenever we have these big family get togethers, ppl are always trying to talk to me in chinese (even my grandma) and it takes me a while to explain to them that I DONT SPEAK CHINESE
and then they go and talk to each other in chinese about me and all i can understand is "blah blah christina blah blah"  its kind of embarrassing, i feel bad that i'm not "respecting my heritage" or something
AHHHH!! i get that too! it drives me CRAZY. :banghead: it's like, "hello, i'm right here, i can still hear you SAY MY NAME." plus, i can understand a lot more vietnamese than i can speak so i know what they're saying about me ("oh, what a shame..."). grrr...it just frustrates me. :angry: and my parents wonder why i don't like going to family get-togethers. -_-

oh, i forgot to mention that i get made fun of for my vietnamese too. i took this so-called beginner's vietnamese class last year, only everyone in the class was so not a beginner. just made me feel really embarrassed because i was seriously the worst vietnamese speaker in the class. the teacher even told me i spoke vietnamese "like an american." which...i don't know, i mean, i AM american, so...was that an insult or something? :thinking: anyway, i dropped that class because i couldn't take it anymore. :confused:

alias8000 said:
Charlie said:
Please understand that by the AllAlias.com Community Rules, anyone is welcome in any clique regardless of the clique's name.
I know Charlie. :smiley:

I can sorta understand Tagalog and I know some words but I knew a whole lot more when I was a little kid.

My background is humongous! It's German, English, Italian, Dutch, Spanish, Phillipino, Chinese and Malysian.
WOW! I'm german, vietnamese, japenese, austrian, chinese, italian, irish, just to name a few! That's all I know for sure!

my mom is full chinese, but its weird because my brother looks very asian but i look very caucasian, i was very blond at first but now i have brown hair (and hazel eyes which is weird). ppl used to always think my mom was my babysitter, and no one ever thinks that i am half asian! its kind of annoying, i wish i looked more asian

if i looked at you i bet i could tell. i could tell by looking at your eyes. you know how asians have that point at the end of their eyes? well, that's a way you can tell. I look lcaucasian too. nobody can tell i'm asian too (except the asians of course. duh!)!

Really? No one can tell I'm asian. Probably because my background is so screwed up. Once again, NO THANKS TO MY PARENTS!! sorry, I'll stop with that.

Crawstinium said:
and then they go and talk to each other in chinese about me and all i can understand is "blah blah christina blah blah" its kind of embarrassing, i feel bad that i'm not "respecting my heritage" or something
plus, turnipcouch is constantly teasing me about how bad my chinese is
Sorry for the double post!! My mom's side of the family (every type of Asian you can think of) speaks a lot of languages, Chinese, Japenese, Thai, Vietnamese, and all the time whenever there are these big get togethers, and there aren't anymore, they would talk to me in those languages and then I'd be like, wha? and they walk off and I'd here the same thing, only with my name!! I felt like such a loser!!

you shouldn't feel like a loser. i don't always understand my asian relatives either. i also hear it again with my name too. as long as you can communicate with them everything is fine.

alias8000 said:
if i looked at you i bet i could tell. i could tell by looking at your eyes.  you know how asians have that point at the end of their eyes? well, that's a way you can tell. I look lcaucasian too. nobody can tell i'm asian too (except the asians of course. duh!)!
but that's what sad. even other asians can't tell i'm asian. well, about half of them can, and maybe 2/3 of the adults.
actually, no , i take it back. they usually think i'm a teeny bit asian, like a tenth or something. but is okay, i am special, i used to be the only bright blond half asian i knew (but now im brown haired)

i've seen asians like that before. it doesn't matter what they think. it's funny to see the surprised look on thier face though! :lol:

hehe yeah, itz funny to see new ppl talk to a few of my friends who r half asian and have a very vague idea that they r, hehe, but on the speaking language thing, i understand more than speak too, although i dun speak it that much at all, i just say filo words here n there, and at those family gathering things, they're okay, cuz i just speak english to my cousins, but of course the elders of the families r a tad disappointed that some of us dun speak filo that often

My friend is Russian, and when her family is talking in Russian, I understand what they're saying more than I can understand what my moms family is saying when they talk in their languages. I don't know Russian!

I'm 100% Chinese, i speak chinese, i look like chinese, i can communicate with my family very very well, i was born in china, moved to Canada when i was 9 so not that long ago. i use to be able read it fluently but now it's just bits.
--mandy :angelic:

Back