Asian Clique!

lol Chinese, two dialects (sp?) but yes i can understand them so ya. hehe, it must suck not to understand them. I have so many friends that were not born in China but they still understand their family... but on the other hand you do have a pretty big heritage so i wouldn't blame you.
--Mandy :angelic:

wahoo, asians rock! i'm not asian tho-- I'm mostly German, with some Irish, and family legend says my great gramma was like 1/10 Cherokee. Canadians rock too!

I am 100% Japanese. :D My mom was born in Japan but my dad was born in the US. I'm about 3.5 generation. I'm taking Japanese right now to learn to read and write. It is HARD! I can speak it some, but I'm not comfortable doing so, which drives my reletives nuts, but they can just deal.

And it drives me NUTS when people say that all Asians look alike! I do NOT look like my korean friend, Sue!

yeah, i'm vietnamese but i get mistaken for chinese a lot. :rolleyes:

doesn't it seem like chinese is like the "default" asian ethnicity? i mean, if people can't tell what an asian person is, they just assume that they must be chinese.

no offense to chinese people, of course. pretty much ALL of my friends are chinese. they like to call me honorary chinese. maybe their chineseness has just rubbed off on me or something. :D

it doesn't really bother me that much that people say they all look the same, even though I know they don't. I can't really tell them, No, I'm not vietnamese, I'm chinese!, when I'm really both.

doesn't it seem like chinese is like the "default" asian ethnicity? i mean, if people can't tell what an asian person is, they just assume that they must be chinese.

Haha yes! When I was in elementary school, all the kids tried to convince me that I was chinese. I kept telling them, "I'm japanese" and they would be all, "no, you're chinese!" I think I would know my ethnicity...

Though sometimes, I have to admit that I have a hard time telling... in which case, I ask, not assume.

eeeeeek!! LMAO!!! I'm Asian and LOTS of other races, LMAO!!!! That's pretty sad, people can't tell you're asian, LMAO!!! Well, people think I'm Hispanic or Spanish, or whatever the correct term for that is, and that's one of the things I'm NOT! LMAO!!!! ^_^

did anyone know that michelle branch was asian!!??

Yep, I knew it... She looks asian. Her music is alright... she sang with Santana though, so that automatically makes her cool. :lol:

I have a cousin (my second or third cousin's daughter) who is a curly blonde haired little girl.

nance said:
ok... no one has posted here in a long time but i'm new here so just wanna say i'm 100% chinese!! it's so weird though- everyone asks me if i'm asian, as if they can't tell? I mean some people that i have known me for 5 years just realize i'm asian!!! it's sooo hilarious and strange. btw i think that peeps who are asian and another race are so attractive lol.
yeah, actually i think that's true, a lot of the part asain ppl i know are really pretty. unfortunately i seem to be the odd one out in that pattern . . . *sigh*

Curly blonde? Is she part European or something?

Hey Jo! I know something we have in common! We are Asian and a WHOLE bunch of other races! :smiley:

I'm sad to admit it, but I think of everyone on the board as white by default. It's not that I don't like Asians (I lived in Hong Kong for 3 years, for God's sake...), but white is just my de facto standard.

I actually live in LA, surrounded by minorities. In fact, I rarely see white people (well, not rarely, but I see much much more minorities), but I know that not everyone here is a minority from LA

Jonathan said:
I'm sad to admit it, but I think of everyone on the board as white by default. It's not that I don't like Asians (I lived in Hong Kong for 3 years, for God's sake...), but white is just my de facto standard.
hey, it's not a big deal. i do that too, even though i am clearly not white. ;) i think most people do whether they admit it or not.

I do too even if I get the Asian part of me from my mom. It's b/c of the avatars and everything b/c it's all white ppl. For me, that is.

Wow. I didnt know there were so many asian people on AA. I just assumed every1 was white.

I'm alot of things...mainly chinese though.. i'm prolly like 9/10 chinese then in that other 1/10 english, and irish. my father's side of the family added the lil flow of ethnicity. I look like any typical chinese person but I have brown hair which people assume is dyed. in the sumemr theres highlights form the sun...then people ask where i get my hair done at! :(

Back