Ask Matt questions about Alias

05/09/19:
Question: There has been a lot of mention of some of the TV makers who garner a cult following (you've expressed your J.J. Abrams love, while I am a card-carrying member of the Cult o' Joss [Whedon]). With Veronica Mars being lifted up for a second season off the backs of a couple of million people, Firefly becoming a major motion picture, and Abrams being ABC's new golden boy (especially with some major motion pictures of his own coming), which following has the most TV pull? Also, are networks starting to take such cult popularity more seriously with the continuation of shows like Mars, Arrested Development and Scrubs, considering none of them is a ratings dynamo? — Gregory

Matt Roush: Given that J.J. Abrams has a monster hit with Lost, and is entrenched in the making of a potential movie blockbuster, he probably wins this particular sweepstakes as well. But the minute Joss Whedon decides to throw his hat back into the TV ring, I would imagine it would spark a bidding frenzy to get his next project (unless it's simply too off-the-charts bizarre). He may not yet have produced a show that went beyond a cult iconic status, but to address your larger point, the networks (with the possible exception of mass-appeal CBS, and we'll have to see how Threshold fares) seem more inclined these days to take a chance on shows that might attract critical or cult buzz. The clutter on TV, both network and cable, is so extreme that any show that gets us talking has a certain value regardless of the bottom-line ratings: i.e., Alias, Arrested, Veronica. These are often shows that are favorites of advertisers as well, and that can't hurt.

Matt's "Dispatch" of 05/09/30:

Back from the dead. Those words kept ringing in my ears Thursday night as I watched two season openers — one reluctantly, the other with trepidation (yes, I'd heard the Alias/Michael Vartan rumors, too) — of once-favorite shows that are heading off into near-certain extinction at season's end.

It's not a pretty spectacle, watching shows that have once and for all outlived their welcome. From the evidence of the first night of Will & Grace and Alias, there's no bringing these shows back to their former glory.

[... W&G comments omitted ...]

Like Alias. This is a show I will watch to the bitter end, not out of duty but out of loyalty. I still love this cast, the look, feel and excitement of the show and its premise, and I'll follow it into the grave, even if the writers don't (as some have hinted) eventually bring Michael Vaughn, or whoever he is, back from the dead.

Today's spoiler culture certainly ruined the episode for me, as I kept waiting for Vaughn's inevitable deathbed scene. I did, however, like the exciting opening sequence, when it was revealed that the cliff-hanger car crash was a ruse for this season's new menace to get their clutches on Vaughn in a helicopter extraction.

But during the endless blah-blah exposition, I couldn't help feeling that Vartan was having trouble not rolling his eyes, as I was doing. Yet another heretofore unheard-of shadow conspiracy (Prophet Five, whatever), another ancient text that people will kill for (shades of, sigh, Rambaldi), and another attempt to rewrite Alias history if we're actually to believe that Vaughn was living a double life while working alongside Syd, Sloane and all the others (including his own late misbegotten double-agent wife) who've spent the entire series juggling multiple identities.

That, I acknowledge, is the theme of the show; it's impossible to know who anyone really is, even your lover or your own parents. But it feels like we've been down this twisted road at least one too many times before, albeit not with a bun in the oven or the vengeful grief of a suddenly widowed (before she was even a bride) Sydney Bristow. Anyway, isn't that how it all started way back in the pilot episode, with Syd burying a fiancé killed by the powers of darkness?

So I'll keep watching Alias (sorry, Will & Grace, you and Joey are deep in sixth position in that time slot), but only so I can write a knowledgeable and fond obituary come spring. Seriously, it's time to go. And we didn't need the death of Vaughn to prove it.

From 05/10/07:

Question: I followed your advice over the summer about the rumors surrounding Michael Vartan on Alias. I decided to ignore them and wait and see. Having seen the premiere, I am now thoroughly disgusted with this show that I once loved. They kill off a popular, beloved character and rehash old story lines... ancient manuscripts, secret doom and gloom organizations, revenge for dead fiancé etc. Obviously the writers have given up on this show, so why should the fans stick around? And the cryptic words from J.J. Abrams about "he's not dead until the fat lady sings"? Come on, bringing yet another character back from the dead?! Irina, Emily, Sloane, not to mention the "missing" Sydney and the doubled Francie... as much as I hate to see Vartan go, I've had my fill of resurrections on Alias. Get an original idea already! What's your advice now? Should I keep watching out of loyalty and hope that "they" know what they're doing? Or should I hop over to one of the other offerings at this time slot? Not to be overly dramatic, but it all just breaks my heart! — Andrea

Matt Roush: Whew. I'm a wreck after reading dozens of impassioned letters like this — most of them angry and put out, some cheering the show on. I could probably fill today's column with nothing but Alias reaction, but I promise I won't. (For the record, this column was assembled before the second episode aired.) I led with Andrea's because it so closely mirrored many of the points in my morning-after Dispatch, which concluded with me professing my loyalty to a show that because I've followed it this long (like West Wing, which I also hope is on the way out), I'm sticking with to the last improbable drop. A sentiment that led TaMara to write in to say, "You are such a BETTER person than I am. Picking loyalty over jumping ship. I knew about 20 minutes in that this would be the last Alias I watched, unless some entertainment guru told me there was a 'not to miss episode' coming up. Even had I not known about MV leaving, the episode would have been very disappointing. A sad, sad start, very discouraging after a great season last year, and probably one of the best season finales last spring. But there is so much new and fun on, I won't grieve long... just move on, which is what ABC should do."

And now this from Vera: "I can predict that you're going to get a lot of angry letters about Thursday night's Alias, so I wanted to send you one from another point of view. I thought the season opener was terrific: fast-paced, exciting, emotional and adventurous. They've definitely thought through the plot for this year, and it shows; I haven't thought Alias started off this well since Season 2. As for the "death" of Michael Vaughn — you know, I could deal with it if it were true, but I don't think it is at all. Certainly they left themselves some wiggle room with Jack's mysterious visit to Vaughn's hospital room. I think there's a major mystery brewing here, and I loved it." From your fingertips….

Some other highlights from the e-mailbag: From Mike T: "I watched the premiere, I laughed, I cried, I jumped out of my seat and screamed twice as loud as I did the last 15 seconds of last season. We all know the 'shippers are going to jump, and that's a mistake. Whether or not this is the last year, I just want to know: At what point are J.J. Abrams fans going to trust him as much as they do Joss Whedon? Has he not proven that he can spin a great story and knock you on your rear only to pull you back up again? People who are going to jump ship on this show because of Vaughn's death had better not come crying back mid-season if there are more shockers ahead. That's the nature of J.J. Abrams' storytelling! We've all known it for four years now... and I for one am staying put on Thursday nights." Yes, this is a very good reason for staying tuned. It reminded me of how, despite the presence of those infernal Slayerettes in Buffy's final season, I wouldn't have dreamed of bailing before it was over.

From Justine: "I'm sure you will be receiving many a diatribe about Alias and the 'demise' of Michael Vaughn. I thought it was a brilliant and gut-wrenching hour. The stakes have always been high, and I think it was time someone paid the ultimate price. The premiere left me with lots of questions to be answered and no mention of Rambaldi. Why was Sydney paired with Vaughn? Was there more to the file that Jack showed Sloane? Is Vaughn really even dead? Maybe Jack succeeded in saving Vaughn when he couldn't save Danny. I for one am not ready to write off this show, just because it took a chance." Another good point. Even giving Vaughn a final deathbed scene exasperated me, because it looked to me like he'd taken more bullets than Sonny Corleone at the tollbooth in The Godfather. Even on a show as fantastical as this, now and then someone's gotta die. And on Alias, as we all know, death is very much a relative term.

And finally, from Liz: "So now that Alias has premiered and Vaughn's demise is out in the open, how do you feel about the way it was handled? As someone who has been watching since the beginning, and stuck by the show through the bad storytelling and worse acting of the third season and the aimlessness of the fourth season, I feel betrayed — this is the thanks I get? The murder of my favorite character and the ending of the main reason I watch the show — the relationship between Sydney and Vaughn? I just feel like even if all the conspiracy theories surrounding Vartan's departure are bunk and he really did want to leave on his own, there had to have been a better way to write Vaughn off the show. I don't see how there can be a satisfying ending to the series if Sydney cannot leave the world of intelligence and settle down with the man she loves and have what she's always wanted — a normal life. Thoughts?" Well, there's always motherhood, not that it helped Syd's own mother achieve normalcy, I suppose. Again, I'm going to roll with the punches for a while before making my final judgment call. But for me, the premiere was a pretty underwhelming experience.
Thoughts?

05/10/24:

Question: I have a question regarding Alias. Whatever happened to viewer goodwill? It seems that more and more these days, people are looking for reasons to say a show "jumped the shark." I don't know how many times shows like Alias and 24 got off to a slow start but then really got rolling later. After the Oct. 13 episode, I think Alias is getting back on track. I thought it was great. I also think killing Vaughn (if he really is dead) was a good step for the show. Sydney's revenge was what fueled the first two seasons, and giving her a personal mission makes it more exciting. I know the ratings are down, but I'd be curious to know how the Alias Thursday-at-8pm/ET ratings compare to what ABC had in that slot last year. So, unlike some viewers, I'm not ready to drop it yet; I still have faith in it. I'd just like to know your thoughts. — Jeremy

Matt Roush: I am a charter member of the ban-the-"jump-the-shark" crusade, so I'm with you on that. I also thought the episode in which the writers positioned young Rachel as the new Syd (basically a replay of early Alias, with Syd in SD-6) was the best so far this season, and I loved seeing Amy Acker as a bad guy (as have many others who've written in). I have gone on record saying I'll stay loyal to Alias this season no matter what, and I'll be thrilled if eventually the show rewards my loyalty. The mail I'm getting lately is more pro-Alias than against, which is refreshing. But still, watching the show reinvent itself with all of these new characters, including a new "Sloane" in Gordon Dean, still seems like a last gasp for a series that might have been better off going out gracefully at least a year earlier. As for the Thursday ratings: They suck, but at least ABC is doing a little business on this night, and that's what counts. Nobody expected Alias to soar this season.

~~~

Question: Hi, Matt. Question for you: Why do TPTB leak major spoilers to viewers via the press? I understand that they want to build excitement and hopefully attract more viewers to their shows, but what about all the viewers who enjoy a surprise once in a while? I feel like there is too much information out there that ruins major upcoming plot developments — and I'm not even referring to the numerous spoiler sites or message boards. Most news and gossip outlets are now chockful of spoiler goodies that, in my opinion, go too far. Instead of fun teasers, they are full-fledged reveals that take away the true entertainment value of these shows. C'mon people, ignorance really is bliss! — Kate

Matt Roush: From your fingertips to TPTB's ears. It's a messy situation for all involved. First, there are the TV reporters and columnists who share the curiosity of millions of viewers and fans and are digging for scoops and exclusives. They walk a fine line between how much to reveal and how far they can go before burning bridges with their sources and maybe even their readers. And then there are the fans themselves who desperately want to know what's happening next and then beat themselves up for having it ruined for them when they learn too much. Why do you think they call them "spoilers"? It's part of the entertainment culture right now, and it's a very competitive business, to put it mildly. I will tell you that I have attended story meetings at the magazine that I have later regretted, because of the information we're sitting on that I would rather have experienced when the episodes actually aired. Comes with the territory.

2005/10/31:

Question: Of the viewers who both hate and love Alias this year, nobody is mentioning the 400-pound gorilla in the room. Don't you think that the show would have been much better had they picked up after Jennifer Garner's pregnancy? — Rick

Matt Roush: 400 pounds? How mean of you! Logistically, it probably wasn't realistic for the show to suspend production until after the star's maternity leave. Creatively, if we're to believe the producers, this situation gave them the opportunity to tell a different, unique story. It's possible the cast departures and additions would have occurred regardless of the, er, gorilla.

2005/11/21:

Question: Wait a second... Alias to Wednesday nights at 10? What does this mean for not only Alias, but Invasion as well? I thought ABC had picked up Invasion for the entire season. — David

Matt Roush: The way I understand it, ABC will air a couple of Alias episodes in December to complete the show's initial run until it returns (at a specific time and time period yet to be determined) from Jennifer Garner's maternity-dictated hiatus in March. Moving Alias temporarily to the post-Lost slot may be confusing, but I imagine it's designed to give these last episodes a bit of a boost, while resting (and protecting) Invasion, which almost certainly isn't going to do very well in repeats. As you noted, and I'm happy to repeat, Invasion was picked up for the entire season. It gets creepier by the week. While it loses (understandably) a significant chunk of the Lost lead-in, Invasion still performs far better than I would have ever expected a slow, subtle supernatural series like this to do against franchise beasts like CSI: NY and the original (and much diminished) Law & Order.

From his 2005/11/29 dispatch:
With the cancellation ax swinging left and right this week, let's accentuate the positive, shall we?

Alias. Again, no surprise. The writing was on the wall from the moment ABC moved it away from Lost to anchor a new (and failing) Thursday lineup this season. Alias remains a great deal of fun to watch, as it has been even at its worst, but creatively, it's obviously adrift, with too many new characters in the mix — only one of whom, Rachel, is even remotely involving. This takes focus away from the show's core, not to mention the absence of Michael Vaughn (whose status, dead or alive, isn't exactly keeping me up at night). By confirming that this is the end, the network has done the right thing, allowing the producers to prepare an exit strategy with a sense of event instead of defeat. When the show returns in the spring with its final batch of episodes, I'm hoping we'll greet these final hours with a feeling of triumph, not despair. This was a good, respectful run for a show that always had the feeling of a cult masterpiece. Alias was ABC's greatest asset during some of its darkest days. Now that the network is on a rebound, it doesn't need Alias as much as we do. Giving it a decent send-off is better treatment than the show might get on a lesser network.

2005/12/02:
Question: I realize that all four major television networks share the common need for ratings and for money from advertisers, so the fact that they cancel shows left and right whenever one of them isn't getting them much in either of those areas shouldn't come as a surprise. However, it is hard to understand their reasoning when your favorite shows so often get canceled or indefinitely postponed. Threshold has been stopped officially, and the new episode scheduled for Tuesday didn't air. I made a commitment before the fall schedule began to watch at least one of the many new supernatural thrillers. I chose Invasion on your recommendation, but after a while, Threshold pulled me in. I saw all the episodes from beginning to end and I loved them. I liked it even more than I did Invasion. Now it's getting canceled. It's not surprising, but it's so disappointing. Alias is gone after this season (no shocker there, but still). Arrested Development: gone. Kitchen Confidential: gone. It's impossible to watch television nowadays without having your fingers crossed, hoping that the networks won't cancel your favorite show! Are we ever going to be able to relax and just watch a show without thinking about its cancellation, or is the quantity-over-quality rule going to always be applied in this medium? — Jorge

Matt Roush: Fact of life: Many, if not most, TV shows fail. The rules of TV are changing, but perhaps not fast enough, and maybe it never will get to the point where a show can survive just because, like Threshold. (For my assessment of the latest wave of cancellation news, check out my Dispatch from earlier this week.) Too bad for Threshold that it didn't air on a struggling network like NBC — or, in the case of Alias, on ABC a few years ago. I'm just glad ABC is sticking with Invasion through the season even though it's losing a big chunk of the Lost lead-in. My fear is that ABC will someday hit its own procedural mother lode, like CSI has become for CBS or Law & Order for NBC, because nothing will choke creativity out of a schedule faster than a network that's able to clone a hit successfully and be rewarded for it, regardless of the quality of the spin-off/rip-off. This has been an especially rough week where cancellations are concerned, prompting letters like yours, as well as this one from Beth:

"I am afraid there will be a day when there is nothing I want to watch on TV. With the cancellations of Arrested Development, Alias, Kitchen Confidential (which had promise) and Reunion, I am running out of shows. Yes, I still have Gilmore Girls, Veronica Mars (god bless that show!) and Lost. I am assuming Invasion won't last — but I will watch until they kill it. What is a discerning TV watcher to do?"

To borrow your own words, Beth: "Watch until they kill it." (And at least you'll get a full season of Invasion — that's more than a show like this would have gotten in the pre-Lost era.)

~~~

Question: I love your column. It's so informative. Here's my question: I understand that both Alias and Threshold have been given the ax! I'm really sad, but I'm also surprised. I thought Threshold was a hit on Friday nights. Also, why won't the network simply try moving Threshold to another night so that it can find an audience? I don't understand how networks can spend so much money producing these shows then yank them when they aren't instant hits. As far as Alias is concerned, I never saw the handwriting on the wall. I had no idea it was in such trouble. Are the ratings so awful that the show warrants cancellation? Do you think it's time for Alias to go? — Mark

Matt Roush:
The Threshold situation has been pretty well covered (see above), although I should point out that while Threshold wasn't doing disastrously on Fridays, the ratings tended to drop after Ghost Whisperer and pick up again for Numbers, and now with the compatible Close to Home in that time period, the audience flow has been much more sustained. With Alias: I honestly didn't think it was that big a secret that most everyone involved with the show, as well as at the network, were looking at this season as a possible (and probable) final season. (This summer at the critics' press tour, I asked a number of people with the show and at ABC if we should just consider this Alias' swan song, and most felt we probably should.) Confirming the end this early in the game allows the producers to go out with a flourish, which is a good thing. If Alias had taken Thursday by storm, which it didn't (that honor goes, more or less, to Smallville), then maybe the situation would have changed. But personally, I do think it's time to let the show go while it still has a shred of its original energy and appeal.

2005/12/09:
Question: Has Invasion been canceled? Is ABC moving Alias to its time slot? — Lisa

Matt Roush: Without a doubt, the most-asked question of the last week. It's beyond aggravating that ABC would trumpet the two-week-only move of Alias to Wednesdays as its "new time" instead of as a "special time." Alias will be on hiatus until spring after these two Wednesday airings, and Invasion will be back in its regular time slot (I presume) with new episodes (eventually) in the new year. I would like to think ABC regrets the confusion (while I applaud giving Alias the more visible time period for these last episodes before Jennifer Garner's maternity leave kicked in). But I'm not sure the networks ever truly regret anything they do.

~~~

Question: What are the chances that there will be an Alias spinoff with the new characters? I agree that the show has run its course (sadly), but really like the new additions this season. Rachel and Tom are growing on me and could, I think, carry a show. Is there any chance that this will happen? — Sally

Matt Roush: There's always a chance, and some possibilities for life after this season are discussed in the Breaking News section of the new issue of TV Guide (Dec. 12-18, on stands now). As is usually the case where past-their-prime series are concerned, I favor the approach of a dignified exit as opposed to milking a franchise beyond reason. And while I like Rachel (Tom seems underdeveloped to me), I don't think the new characters are nearly strong enough to keep this franchise aloft. Best to just let it go and enjoy these last episodes, especially now that the producers are gearing up for a grand (we hope) finale.

2005/12/12:
Question: What's this talk I hear about an Alias spin-off starring the current bad guys? Do you have any intel. on this? Would Amy Acker be involved? My greatest wish would be a spin-off starring Amy Acker and David Anders, because I don't think you can get any better than Peyton and Sark working closely together to do evil. That would be hot. — Spacegirl

Matt Roush: Spacegirl? Really? Anyway, this possibility of a bad-guy spin-off (also featuring Sloane, naturally) was discussed in the Dec. 12 issue of TV Guide (on stands now), but it's awfully preliminary and, I agree, awfully tempting — though I would be honestly surprised if it gets much beyond the talking stage. ABC is flying high these days, and spinning off a show past its prime seems counterintuitive. But yes, it would be hot. And I would watch.

05/12/19:
Question: In light of the recent news of Alias' impending cancellation, I was wondering how you feel the show will be written about in future television-history books. For me, Alias was love at first sight and I have been a loyal follower since the days of double agency and SD-6. While the show has had a glitch creatively in recent years (and I think you would agree), it is still safe to say that Alias is one of my all-time great TV love affairs, if for nothing else than the first two seasons alone. I will be a devoted viewer until the very end. — Jill

Matt Roush: I'm with it from start to finish as well, out of loyalty if nothing else, but here's an idea: Let's start referring to Alias' departure as a "retirement," not a "cancellation," OK? Five years is more than most cult shows get, especially on a major network. The fact that the producers are getting the opportunity to plot out an actual series finale is something to celebrate, not mourn. But to address the larger issue: When we look back on Alias, it will be with fondness and admiration for its creativity, its style (the wigs and creative cinematography convinced us that these characters were literally all over the place), and most especially for the way it threaded emotional subtext about family and loyalty into a rip-roaring spy thriller. J.J. Abrams is one of the top TV auteurs of our time, and Alias (along with Felicity and Lost) is a vivid example of his inexhaustibly passionate love for the medium.

05/12/26:
Question: What'd you think of the latest episode of Alias (the last one before the break for Jennifer Garner's maternity leave)? I've been rather critical of the show (even if I'm still horribly addicted and would never give it up), but this episode, featuring flashbacks to "classic" Alias moments, blew me away. For the first time this season, I'm excited to see the next episode —which is, naturally, months away. Kudos to the producers for keeping the secret of who is behind Prophet 5 so well kept (at least Lena Olin wasn't credited). Can we expect the same quality for the last 13 episodes of the series? Wouldn't it be great for Alias to go out on top, after these years of hailing its past brilliance? — Rob F.

Matt Roush: That really was a terrific episode — creatively structured, suspenseful, harking back to the show's emotional core. And the Lena Olin reveal was remarkable, on its own merits and also because I didn't have a clue it was coming. In this age of spoilers, that really is a refreshing change. I wish that would become the norm, not the exception. (I promise to keep entirely mum regarding the twists in the first four hours of 24 until after the two-part opener goes off the air Jan. 16. And I'm not kidding.) And here's Kari's assessment of the same episode, which I pretty much agree with, final speculation aside, so I'll let it go without comment: "I thought it was the best ep of this season. Why? Mainly, because we got back to what made Alias the gem it is: Syd (and Vaughn), Mama and Papa, SD6 (now connected to Prophet 5), and the episode cliff-hanger. What a nice payoff/treat for the loyal fans who got to see the key/poignant moments in Syd and Vaughn's lovely relationship in flashbacks. And Lena Olin — need I say more? And what about Papa Bristow on the warpath? And a bit of hope that Vaughn is still alive (not just in Syd's head) with the memorable and often-quoted (though maybe too often in this ep) line: 'I'll find you. We always find each other.' I say it's Mama who snatched Vaughn away to bring him back for the finale's happy ending."

06/1/16:
Question: OK, with the finale of Alias coming, does this finally prove that 24 is the better show? Also, how much longer do you think 24 will last? — Dion S.

Matt Roush: Wow, what a loaded question. Longevity is no guarantee of quality. Just because According to Jim has had a longer run than Arrested Development doesn't mean it's a better comedy, just a safer one. The fact is that 24 by its nature reinvents itself each season, with new crises and new characters for Jack Bauer to contend with, and thus may have a longer shelf life than Alias, which, even when it attempts a stand-alone episodic format, relies heavily on the character arcs of Sydney and the rest of her spy family. I am at peace with Alias calling it quits after five years, just as I think 24 could easily keep it going another five years, if they can sustain the blistering pace. I suppose the fact that I stopped putting Alias on my Top 10 list a few years ago — while 24 is pretty much a constant fixture — indicates that I prefer the latter show. But I really don't look at it as a contest.

06/02/10:
Question: Three words: Where is Alias? Please tell me you have some insider information to give me that is more fulfilling than "the next episode has yet to be scheduled" comment on ABC's website. Perhaps I'm behind the times. Perhaps some more hard-core fans already know when the final episodes will be airing. But Matt, I just gotta know when we're going to be able to say hello to Sydney and the gang again — right before we have to say goodbye. — Sam

Matt Roush: Man, I wish I knew. I figured while I was away, ABC would announce its spring mid-season schedule, but I never dreamed (along with several dozen, at least, of my correspondents) that Alias would be MIA. In fact, I figured Alias would return as soon as the Olympics were over. My most optimistic view of this perplexing situation is that mid-season schedules are notoriously unreliable and changeable, and should any of the elements of ABC's March-April lineup fall out — remember the instant exit of Emily's Reasons Why Not and Jake in Progress? — I'm betting Alias will be restored to the schedule pretty quickly. Downside: Last-minute changes don't get much promotion, but then, Alias fans will find the show, no matter what. It's just frustrating to see a show with this much history treated so shabbily. Bottom line: There's no reason to think ABC won't air all of the rest of Alias' final season, but it's looking to me like there's a chance some of those last episodes may play out into the early summer, depending on when it actually comes back. What a mess.

~~~

Question: I don't know if you listen to podcasts at all, but Ron Moore's latest podcast for Battlestar Galactica's "Black Market" episode had me scratching my head. He stated that this episode was not one of his favorites, and his rationale was that when you have to do 20 episodes a season instead of 13, not all of them can be good. At first I was really insulted by this comment, because it seemed like a cop-out. But then I started thinking about other shows, particularly 24, which always starts off great and ends really well but gives us four or five episodes in the middle that are just not up to par (stalking cougars and loud cell-phone ringers while chasing the bad guy, for example). Or could it be that now that RDM is developing other projects, his time is just far too split to keep each show up to par (yes, I am talking to you, J.J. Abrams, and your big red dodge ball of death!). So my question for you, the TV all-knowing god, is: Is it really difficult to produce 20 stellar episodes each year and, if so, does this happen to every show? (I am still a huge fan of the show, and even a bad Galactica episode is better than most other shows on TV, but I really did not like that excuse.) — Chris

Matt Roush: I don't have time for these sorts of podcasts — these days, I'm having trouble just keeping up with the shows themselves (I'm hoping to catch up with the last few episodes of Battlestar this weekend, Olympics permitting) — but to me, this sounds like a refreshing dose of honesty. Bravo to Ron for 'fessing up that now and again an episode isn't up to par. (Again, I haven't watched this episode yet, so I have no opinion.) I'm hard-pressed to think of a series (well, maybe Lost) that doesn't have an off episode once in a while, even in 13-episode cable series. Even a masterpiece like The Sopranos has a flat hour every so often. It happens. That's the nature of episodic TV. But rare is the occasion when a producer has the guts to single out an episode as a misstep — it's not like he was bragging or anything. And yes, it is harder than it looks to produce quality shows on a weekly basis. I'm constantly amazed at how good so much of TV is, all things considered.

2006/02/24:
Question: I am a huge Alias fan, so I have been all over the Web looking for sites with petitions and other things asking to bring Alias back for at least another season. There are so many fans who don't want to see it go and are trying to find ways to get it back for another season. Do you think there is any way Alias could be brought back, even though ABC has already canceled it and has started making the final shows? Is there any way another network could pick it up, or is that just wishful thinking? — Megan

Matt Roush: I don't know any nicer way of putting it than this: Let it go. The real reason to be angry with ABC is for putting the show in limbo for the last half of this final season, with none of us yet knowing when or where it's going to show up next to air its last episodes. That is unfair, wrong, confusing and annoying. But if the producer/writers can bring this show to a proper and exciting conclusion, with everyone involved (including fans) knowing that this is the end, that's cause for gratitude. I'd rather Alias go off after five enjoyable seasons, mostly solid but some shakier than others, than limp off the air, as I imagine it would do if it tried to keep going much longer. No show lasts forever, and Alias was lucky to last this long.

2006/03/27:
Question: I just read the news item about ABC's schedule of finales for May, and I saw that the two-hour Alias finale is scheduled for Monday, May 22. The reason given was to move it away from the expected American Idol finale later that week. But, if memory serves me, I remember reading earlier this year that the 24 finale would also be a two-hour episode. After plotting out the remaining episodes and figuring on the two-hour finale, 24 would also bow out on May 22. Choosing between watching the last hour of 24 and the first hour of Alias is even more cruel than putting it up against AI. I would think that 24 would be more competition for that genre of show than would AI. — Tina

Matt Roush: Well, also figure that if ABC were going to counter the Idol climax with a season finale, it would choose Lost over Alias. And like last season, that's how the last night of the regular TV season is going to end: with Idol and Lost duking it out, overlapping by at least an hour. May sweeps really is a logistical nightmare, and that includes 24 and Alias going head-to-head on the final Monday. (I'm also not crazy about Grey's Anatomy moving its two-hour finale to Monday, May 15, which is the first night of the network upfronts and which also puts it against the penultimate episode of 24. It feels a little early to start whining about that now, but honestly, it's going to kill me.) But back to Alias. Just be glad that you get to see these final episodes, and that ABC is scheduling them in-season. Many struggling or on-their-way-out shows have been treated far worse. (Think of poor West Wing, squandered all season on Sundays.)

2006/04/24:

Question: First of all, great to see Alias back in (in my opinion) top form. I still care about these characters, and I can't wait to see how it all wraps up. Likewise, another great episode of Invasion. The story keeps moving along, with quite a bit revealed each episode — certainly more than I expected when I got into it in the first place. I've been particularly impressed with Evan Peters as Jesse; I've loved the "kids return to school" aspect of the show, and Jesse has really become a centerpiece to all of the aspects of the show. His drunken shooting practice at the end of the episode was wonderfully acted — muted and subtle instead of over-the-top (as it could very easily have been). What I'm really excited about, though, is May 3, which — if my calculations are correct — will be what I've been waiting for for nearly a year: consecutive new episodes of Alias, Lost and Invasion. What a great night of television: three shows with different stories, characters, styles and even color palettes that still truly belong together. I can't think of a better three-hour block of television out there, short-lived as the trio may be. Kudos to ABC for, at the very least, sticking with Invasion throughout the season, and for putting Alias (at last) back in the fray. There should be a good two or three weeks there of an untouchable Wednesday-night lineup (barring scheduling changes). Here's to enjoying it while it lasts! — Nick

Matt Roush: No kidding. ABC may not rule the ratings this night (although Lost is still doing reasonably well), but this is the kind of night genre freaks live for. It was fun to see Alias again, especially with the Family Bristow (Lena Olin, Victor Garber and Jennifer Garner) back in action, presiding over her childbirth midcaper. All that babble about Prophet Five, "the Horizon," "the Cardinal," etc. doesn't interfere with my pleasure, thankfully. I agree that ABC should be commended for letting Alias play itself out (because, really, it is played out) and for letting Invasion go a full season (which is more than Threshold or Surface got on their respective networks). Whatever happens beyond this season, we'll at least get a month of Wednesdays worth remembering. What a blast.

06/05/15:
Question: Why did the idiots at ABC decide to move the Alias finale to Monday? Not even Alias can compete with 24, but I wanted to see them both! I have faithfully seen every 24 and Alias episode since Day 1. ABC is a loser. Can you give me a solution? — Jackie

Matt Roush: It is kind of ironic that Alias is signing off against 24, given that both shows premiered the same season to great critical fanfare. As always where Alias is concerned, my refrain remains: Just be glad ABC gave the show an actual final season. All things considered, that wasn't a slam dunk. Given that ABC is inordinately fond of two-hour finales this month, there weren't many nights available for Alias, since the last Wednesday of the season was always going to pit Lost against American Idol. You could second-guess ABC's programming strategy forever, but the real problem here is that two shows with such similar appeal are going head-to-head. My game plan on May 22 is probably to watch 24 in real time, and start playing back the Alias finale immediately afterwards. For those without multiple TVs or recorders, or (in my case) a DVR that records while you watch on another channel, I don't have any solution other than to beg a friend to tape what you can't watch, and play it back as soon as humanly possible.

Back