Ask Matt: TV Guide Online

A

AliasALIAS

Question: I'll admit right off the bat that I haven't watched much Alias. Can you explain why Jennifer Garner is a mainstream darling (and an Emmy voters favorite), while Sarah Michelle Gellar has never achieved the recognition she deserves? Granted, Alias is more mainstream than Buffy. But isn't it sometimes possible for individual actors to be recognized, even when their shows aren't widely watched/known (e.g. Michael Chiklis from The Shield)? Besides, Alias's ratings are nothing to write home about. Is Garner's work on Alias really so superior to Gellar's on Buffy? And, of course, don't get me started on the remainder of the Buffy cast, or the superb writing — Buffy was (sniff... past tense) consistently a phenomenal mix of drama and comedy. I can't imagine that Alias will ever match Buffy's long run of quality ensemble work, let alone any of the standout episodes (e.g. "Hush," "The Body" or "Once More with Feeling"). In that you are obviously a fan of both shows, I would appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks! — Laurie

Matt: We'll see if Garner is an Emmy darling if she scores a second consecutive nomination, which I'm not sure is guaranteed (although it is deserved). First off, Sarah was always at a disadvantage being on what the Emmy voters consider the fringe of TV: first WB, then UPN. While both shows are without doubt cult in nature, Alias's spy milieu is probably more acceptable and accessible to the staid Academy membership than the fantasy-horror-allegory of Buffy. But if you're talking about media recognition or buzz, I don't think Sarah has suffered at all. Jennifer Garner is newer on the scene and thus commands a great deal of attention, but look at the coverage of Buffy's and Sarah's TV farewell. The attention far outweighed the ratings that followed. Sarah Michelle Gellar, like Jennifer Garner, is a major TV star and a viable movie star, and I think that has been adequately acknowledged — in the media, anyway. If you're looking for validation from the Emmys, you're cruising for a heartache. As for comparing the best of Buffy with the best of Alias, I also find it hard to imagine that Alias will ever deliver episodes with the emotional and creative impact of "The Body" or "Once More, With Feeling." But Alias in its own crafty way is pushing the bounds of episodic, formulaic spy drama, and that's nothing to scoff at.

from TV Guide Online

Like stated by Matt, Alias does have a better chance of getting an Emmy than Buffy. For all of you who haven't seen Buffy, you probably don't care. But there are some of us who also watch Buffy (maybe even from the beginning) who pretty much give up on watching the Emmy's altogether. If the critics can't even give Joss one statue for Hush, then there's not much chance for any others of Buffy (Hush a huge standout and extroidinary episode). It is extremely discouraging. I really hope Jen and the cast win some awards, as it would be nice to see one of my fav. shows win. Sorry if this seemed like a rant, I just hate seeing Buffy shunned because of the fact it's put in the factansy-horror genre while it is so much more than that. (again, stated in the article) I hope alias does win, as the show is also very much deserving for everyone (the cast, writers, producers, special effects, people, etc...)

Oh, I had just added that to the end of the news post about TV Guide's fantasy emmy noms . . .
;)

IluvVaughn13 said:
I totally think jennifer should get an alias
I think you mean an emmy??? :P

Certainly, you can compare the two shows all together ... Alias has its following as did Buffy ... I have always watched Buffy, and the reason it
was never nominated for the big awards, IMO, is that the show was on
a new cable channel, rather than the big 4 networks or HBO ... simply
for that ...

As for Jen's nomination, she can do it ... she can get ... hopefully, most
of the voters have been able to see more than just the episode they
are sending for the nomination stage ...

she totally deserves an Emmy for her work on Alias - she's AMAZING! i've just watched " A free agent" and her performance was brilliant!

Yeah, Syd Spy you're right. Buffy wasn't apprieciated. They thought it was some fluffy, cheery show with no point.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Watch The Body. That'll change your minds about fluff.

Or Innocence. 😭

OK OK!!
First of all Alias beats Buffy any day! I mean all she did was go around killing vamps and Jen goes and does all the things that Buffy was too afraid to do. Granted Geller is good in Buffy but one should never compare Jen and Geller in the same catagory. Jen will always beat Geller no matter what!!!!!!

You've never WATCHED Buffy, did you? Cuz if you watched ANY episode, you'd know that it was one of the best shows ever known to man. Joss is a genius.

Don't diss Buffy girl. Its wrong.

I totally agree. Buffy really kicked ass... especially in its early years. I think it's really sad that a show has to be mainstream and shown on network TV (meaning ABC, NBC, CTV etc) in order to be nominated. Buffy, the show and SMG, was repeatedly shafted and it sucks! :(

Oh, and to gurlygirl_89: doing your own stunts is not prerequisite for an emmy nomination. I agree that Jen is an AWESOME actor and totally deserves to be nominated; however, I would not agree that SMG deserves the nomination any less just because she didn't do many of her own stunts. I would also say that fighting vampires and demons is no less difficult or life threatening than Syd's missions... the fights are just different, is all.

And that's my two cents.

I hope Alias and Buffy are both nominated for a bunch of Emmys; both shows are deserving.

I agree that buffy is under appreciated. Seriously those actors on Buffy take their work very seriously, and it shows through their talent.
Like when Nicholas Brendon started on teh show he didn't even know what a mark was but he worked his butt off.

Joss Whedon said in an interview that Gellar does do most of her stunts. Maybe he was exageratting or whatever but still.

Buffy deserves an emmy big time. but thast not what the show is about. Instead it was about entertaining us for 7 years and it did way more than that.

OK, I can't resist putting in my two cents.

First, the actresses: Both are very capable and both have gotten a great deal of attention this year--Ms Gellar because it was the last season of Buffy and Ms Garner because of Daredevil and the fact that she's been rather a breakout star. Personally, I think that Ms Garner shows more depth, but that may be partly a function of the material she's been given and the role she plays. Buffy has to be less demonstrative because she's the slayer, after all.

Second, the relative literary/artistic worth of the series: Well, this is debatable--yes, it is. There is a great deal of artistic and philosophical goodness in Buffy and it is more immediately accessible than that in Alias, believe it or not (don't believe me? Drop by this Buffy philosophy site). But as I've gone through and taken a good look at these episodes, I've noticed that there's a lot more going on in Alias artistically than a lot of flash and fighting--or even family wrangling. But you have to work a little bit deeper than you do with Buffy.

Meanwhile, Mr Roush (disappointingly) doesn't even address the point made about ensemble work! I'd stack Alias's ensemble against that of Buffy any day. Frankly, actor for actor I'd rank Alias as superior--Garner for Gellar; Garber for Marsters (and I think very highly of Mr Marsters); Rifkin for Head; Olin for Hannigan; and on--and in combination, look out! There is a great deal of experience in the cast of Alias, and it shows in the overall quality of the product.

Emmy tends to ignore genre shows almost completely (except for the cop/lawyer genre . . .), so I was extremely pleased to see Alias as highly recognized as it was last season. It's a tribute to its high production values and overall quality.

OK, make that 25 cents . . .
;)

I TOTALLY agree that Jennifer's work on Alias would all out beat Buffy's work. I would have to admit i would not see the reson in watching a bunch of vampires duke it out.

ALIAS RULES!!!!!!!

:bows by way of respect to fellow Buffy fans who helped defend the show: Thank you.

And I'm not saying that Jen shouldn't win the Emmy, I'm just saying that Buffy is underapprieciated. Jen does deserve it, she's a great actress. Buffy's not gonna win anyway, you guys don't have to go into jealous fits over it.

I believe for those of you who believe Buffy is just about a show with vampires killing eachother---you have not even seen the show. There are many more demons besides just vamps. (look at the Buff book, The Monster Book) It's a lot more than that. Looks like I've put in my 4 cents now.

DUDE!
Ok I can tell u people are sensitive! I like the show Buffy but i don't see where u ppl get on whining about how Buffy was never appreciated! It stayed on the air for what? Four seasons and i admit it's a good show but it doesn't hold a candle to Alias!

Gurlygirl_89

Back