Atkins the Acidifier

T

tasoli

So basically the Atkins diet revolves around the reduced intake of carbohydrates, correct? They tell you that carbs = fat and that no carbs = fat reduction, right?

Well here's something they don't tell you-
Carbs are also our fuel. Without carbs we can't live and function properly. In addition, carbs are converted into lipids (adipose tissue, or "fat") when it is overly consumed and the excess can't be converted into ATP (think of it like gas for our muscles and cells).

Here's the problem with the Atkins diet- unless monitored intensely the carb level can drop drastically which affects the amount of acetyl CoA produced, affecting the quality of the burning of fats. When there is an Acetyl CoA deficiency, fats are burned inefficiently and Ketone Bodies are produced. Ketones are little acidic remainders of your fat that go around and lower the PH of your blood. This is hard on all of your internal organs and lowers your life expectancy drastically.

So how is this system supposed to work in order to burn fats?

Glucose > Pyruvic Acid > Acetyl CoA > Krebs Cycle

Fat > Beta Oxidation > > > ^

The fat is burned after it undergoes Beta Oxidation, aerobic exercise that requires the intake of oxygen in order to properly function. AKA WORKING OUT. When the fats enter the Krebs cycle through acetyl CoA, they are burned off and you receive energy (ATP). No, there is no magical way to de-fattenize yourself, you actually have to get up and work out by jogging or riding a bike. Changing what you eat is only half the equation!

Note* I'm not trying to offend anyone, just inform you that if you're overweight, Atkins alone is not the solution.

Discuss!

metabolicmill.jpg

Dont EVEN get me started on the atkins diet...

Lets just say its bad, and was "popularized" due to heavy "silent endorsement" from the american cattle ranchers association...

(dontrantdontrantdontrant!)

Sorry, had to kick my vegitarian soapbox out from underneath myself.

I will say this... There is no such thing as a healthy diet that isnt balanced.

(gags himself before going off again)

Xhar

Just to add. There is a difference between the "Atkins Diet" and the Atkins Diet. The real Atkins diet doesn't say you can eat as much fat as you want if you just don't eat carbs at all. It is a plan to lessen carb intake so as to prevent overconsumption from turning into fat cells. You are still supposed to eat carbs. AND you are supposed to combine it with diet and exercise. <----partially redundant statement... I decided not to change it cause it made me giggle.

So it does entail lessening carb intake, but if you follow the outline as presented by the actual diet it does not lessen that to next to nothing, advocate over-consumption of proteins and fats, or lead you to believe that you can sit on your ass all day eating bacon and be as skinny as Paris Hilton. It also does not work for everyone, no "Diet" does. The best thing anyone can do is to eat a healthy and balanced real diet (not "Diet",) and stay active. That does not mean one needs to go to the gym for an hour a day, but to maybe take a walk or something. Hell, playing golf is active enough and it's the laziest sport ever! Just don't rent the cart.

Czi

The best way to lose weight is a healthy diet, exercise, and little things like don't eat before you sleep. (Your metabolism slows down) Exercise is probably the most important thing.

I can't stand when people order a huge greasy fattening meal at a fast food place, and get a diet soda. Like it's going to make up for all that junk they're consuming?

Ok, I'm not going to debate about what you think of the diet... Be it good or bad.

But..

It does work when done properly. There is no debate about that on my end. I also prefer the "low in fat and high in protein" version of the diet.

I'm currently in stage 3. Which is this...

"Once you've lost almost all of the weight you plan to lose, you enter the Pre-Maintenance part of the Atkins Diet. This involves gradually increasing your carbohydrate intake until you're losing less than one pound per week."

I simply just stopped drinking sodas and lost 7lbs in 3 weeks. People would be surprised how much stopping a certain thing helps. I used to excercise minimally, but I'm starting to increase it to once a day now. I cut down A TON on my fast food consumption limiting myself to the chicken clubs at Carl's Jr with no sauce or cheese, which I usually get with an ice tea. I've never really been fat, but I would like to get a little more in-shape for my softball and basketball leagues.

As far as Atkin's goes...whatever helps. Each person is different. Personally I think people make losing weight way too hard. All it really takes is eating properly. Balanced meals, smaller portions 6 times a day, take walk.

The main thing about Adkins is that is it a very temporary diet, you're not supposed to stay on it long. Lots of people do though, and it will do some really bad things to your body in the long run.

Proper diet+exercise is best of course. :D

Back