Sci-Fi Automata (2014)

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Title: Automata

Tagline: Your time is coming to an end – Ours is now beginning

Genre: Thriller, Science Fiction

Director: Gabe Ibáñez

Cast: Antonio Banderas, Melanie Griffith, Birgitte Hjort Sørensen, Dylan McDermott, Robert Forster, Tim McInnerny, Andy Nyman, David Ryall, Geraldine Somerville, Andrew Tiernan, Christa Campbell, Christina Tam, Danny Kirrane, Philip Rosch, Albena Stavreva, Javier Bardem, Harry Anichkin, Lyubomir Neikov, Stanislav Pishtalov, Bashar Rahal, Dan Cade

Release: 2014-10-09

Runtime: 110

Plot: Jacq Vaucan, an insurance agent of ROC robotics corporation, routinely investigates the case of manipulating a robot. What he discovers will have profound consequences for the future of humanity.
Automata (2014)

[MOVIE]Autómata (tt1971325)[/MOVIE]
Automata, opening October 10, is set in year 2044 where advanced robots are part of our society but must follow a set of basic rules. Those rules include not being able to modify themselves in any way and to protect humans. When a robot breaks any of the rules they are hunted down to be destroyed.

Antonio Banderas stars as Jacq Vaucan, an insurance agent for the ROC corporation responsible for most of the robots. Vaucan's investigation into robots being altered leads him on a bigger discovery that robots might be already far beyond breaking the rules.

Comparisons of course will be made against Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, which of course was the basis for the excellent Blade Runner movie, and to Isaac Asimov's Runaround that introduced three laws of robotics that have since become common place in the genre.

Comparisons aside, the trailer sure looks good.

Robot movies, for me, tend to be a Fantasy Genre more than a Science Fiction one. Mainly because of the complexity of the science involved to make it act like a human. To me its about as far from human as an Ent.
Not saying all of the movies are bad or anything. Just unbelievable to the point they are more fantasy than science fiction.
As for the 3 Laws of Robotics. I've already expressed my feelings on that nonsense. They would lock up an AI in an infinate loop. The robot wouldn't be able to function without breaking at least one of those rules.
Science is about as far away from this type of robots as it is from warp drive. Perhaps in 3 or 400 years these robots might be science fiction.
None the less, I will probably watch and enjoy this movie - Thanx fer the heads up about it.

Automata was an interesting viewing. It starts out as a bit of a cross between I, Robot and Blade Runner and about half-way through turns into a more traditional suspense thriller.

Banderas is pretty good in his role of a haggard insurance investigator who knows he is in over his head and goes forward anyway for the sake of his family. Seeing him bald & gaunt is a striking difference from his usual roles.

For those who like dystopian movies, those is one to check out.

Good to hear. I've been on the fence about watching this flick for a while now. It looks very hit-or-miss. Maybe I'll give it a shot.