Sci-Fi Avatar (2009)

Thanks, Tim, and especially that quote:

"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.":cool:

Avatar has now become the highest grossing movie of all time with Domestic Receipts (as of February 18'th 2010) totalling $668,224,829 surpassing Titanic's record. Combined with its large Foreign earnings the film has made a combined total of $2,376,104,809. That's insane, can't wait for the sequels. I may see it for a second time next week.

oh, I really should have posted a link to it.

pocahontas-avatar-750x730.jpg

I think if you google "pocahontas avatar" under the images tab you'll find plenty of copies. It's kind of gone viral :smiley:

How edited the Pocahontas storyline is to make the connection I am not sure, having not read/seen that particular Disney story (I'm sure my kids have though) But you have to admit it is amusing

Newbie again :smiley:

I really liked Avatar, the story line was easy to relate to because of the environmental and the supression of the natives theme. The graphics were brilliant especially the forest but the creatures and the way the Avatars look very similar to the human operators were excellent.

Avatar cross all the limits in popularity .you can watch this movie anytime but you never get bore by watching this movie again and again..its really awesome..

I've seen Avatar a couple of times and I agree with the similarity it has with the clash between the North American natives and the European colonists however the film seemed to have a deeper message concerning the environment.

The film shows that on Pandora everything is interconnected in just about every sense of the word. When the bad guys strip mine the planet they destroy the connection and the harmony.

On Earth we have a similar deal but not so radical or complex. We basically depend on the Earth more than we realise and through greed and money we are destroying it also destroying the symbiotic connection and the harmony.

Basically the film seems to be about keeping the balance with environment and the fight for that balance.

3D Cinema = Overwhelming and fantastic conceptional design, a sumptuous feast for the eyes

DVD/Blueray on your TV = Zzzzzzzz

It's all design/technology and no substance.

I'm glad to see not everyone else loved this movie. I do plan to see it again, hopefully in 3D someday, but here was my review of it:

Spectacular graphics, inventive creatures, aliens, and plants. The alien environment reminded me of Earth's deep ocean.
The plot, however, if you take away a basic SF set-up and setting, is a well-used western. Cowboys taking over Indian (native American) territory. They even used Indian whoops, bows and arrows! I personally got bored with the second half of the movie, which was a huge, non-stop battle. Old-fashioned machismo, "we he men, will fight off enemy with bare hands!" Plus the bad guys, "white man" who were totally bad and wouldn't listen to reason or have any morals. So over-all I wasn't that impressed. It was a bit depressing, what with the huge amounts of destruction of beautiful nature, and deaths of the gathered native force. There was no great plan, just savage cries of "we can't let them do this to us, we'll all band together and let many die to fight them off." Not very smart, wasteful of precious life. The movie almost glorified the savagery of battles.

The native culture was fairly predictable, closely copying mostly native Americans, with a bit of African thrown in. They even broke bucking broncos, dominated them and gained possession. "You're mine now." Were the hair-braids natural, or did the natives/aliens develop hair-braiding s a method of gathering the hair together to concentrate the ends which could be used to bond with creatures?

The movie was enjoyable in it's own way, my kids were much more enthusiastic (11 and 13). My husband gave it a 5/6 for first viewing, repeat was 6/10. It had it's points, but not enough of the originality was put into the plot and character interactions, which were predictable and cliched. Man comes to native group to do mission, falls in love, turns around...I think I've seen this one a few times!
Re the article about Cameron being traitorous - . I’m not sure if it’s arrogance or the result of guilty conscious for some Americans to assume the army were American. It’s actually quite possible that the writers had the American military in mind when they made the fictional characters, so they’re somewhat justified in feeling it’s a stab at the American military.
I’m not worried about the political implications, but I do object to the writers making the bad guys so one-dimensionally evil instead of making them realistically complex characters with good and bad elements in them like real people are. Not even Darth Vadar is totally evil, he’s quite conflicted....

It was a bit depressing, what with the huge amounts of destruction of beautiful nature, and deaths of the gathered native force.

I think that the purpose of Cameron was to present a beautiful planet and then show how mankind is capable of destroying it, much like our own planet and awaken some sense of feeling in most people if not everyone. With this point of view I think the film was brilliant because it isn't everyday that a film touches its viewers on a sentimental level especially action films.

Avatar was only sweet because it was our first taste of 3D. If you enjoyed it, like I did, then I think Piranha 3D is going to be friggin amazing. Saw a teaser trailer and it looks like bloody sexy fun in 3d. Piranhas just seem to be anti fun at this spring break gone wrong. Hahaha. I am ready to see this!

I really liked the forest and the fun futuristic spin on things. My main draw was the 3d element of the film and that really changed the way I see movies. On that note I am really excited for Piranha 3D as it will be my first man vs. nature film in 3d. I am really excited to see these fish go coo coo for people puffs and ruin spring break. Apparently its the same director as Hills Have Eyes and the trailer left me hungry! 3D 3D 3D! Piranha Freakin 3D! This is going to be epic, must see! {movie zombie voice}

Yes, I'm aware of that argument, but I can't help feeling the writer was getting on the environmental bandwagon because it's trendy, and really, I've seen it all before. Yes, it's a great message, but not one I needed to hear, I'm already well aware that I shouldn't invade other people's areas and destroy them and their things. To me the moral is so obvious it doesn't need to be said. The only thing it did for me was cause a depressing movie. I want to go to a movie to escape the depressing realities going on, I'm all too aware of them like most people are. I want some fun, some handsome studs...

Yes, the alien world was creative and cool, the artwork was amazing. If I'd seen in in 3d I might not be so concerned about the plot.

Avatar was pretty sweet and really turned me on to 3D films. The next movie I see in 3D is definitely Piranha 3D. I just saw the trailer and it looks really scary and like a great adventure. I was just at Comic-con in San Diego and the "Wild Wild Girls" were promoting the film with most of the cast and it actually looks like a rad movie and an appropriate use of 3d technology. Absolutely radical. Definitely the next movie/ only movie I see in theaters this summer.

This is a film that I watched about half way through & then fell asleep, so I missed the last half. From what I had seen I thought the visual effects were stunning, but story wise it did nothing for me. I cannot believe the over-hype this film has received. I hardly think it is oscar nominated worthy material, but that's just my opinion. I believe it is the highest grossing film ever? That is quite an achievement. I am only judging this film based on viewing half the film, so I really need to view it in it's entirety. The visual effect are groundbreaking & new, so I wonder how Avatar will fair in 10 years time when there will no doubt be multitudes of similar films to compare it to.