Sci-Fi Avatar (2009)

I don't think it will stand the test of time. When the technology is standard or surpassed, it will be a footnote in history.

Revolutionary because of 3D, but thats about it. The next 3d movie I see is Piranha 3D. I hope fish pop out of the screen and u really get sucked in.

I think Newstar is right about the 3D being better in movies that are made for it: i.e. animated ones where things pop out at you...or Piranha 3D, but it looks ridiculous.

As far as standing the test of time, Titanic did it. Why can't Avatar? Maybe the storyline isn't Oscar worthy, but to be good Science Fiction, it has to be beautiful, and it has to blow your mind.
I think Avatar did both of those, and did them well.

MARK13, I highly recommend finishing it. In 40 years, wouldn't you like to say that you saw a historic film in theaters? I know I would.

As far as standing the test of time, Titanic did it. Why can't Avatar? Maybe the storyline isn't Oscar worthy, but to be good Science Fiction, it has to be beautiful, and it has to blow your mind.
I think Avatar did both of those, and did them well.
The basic story of Avatar has been seen multiple times before. Heck, Costner's Dances With Wolves is the same basic premise. Avatar may be a nice looking story but it is certainly not an original one.

I decided that the effects were going to be the only reason I would have watched it, when it came back out in 3D (in theatres) recently...so went ahead and saw another film instead. Couldn't see spending an extra $3 for a matinee ticket just for effects...

Yes, Pocohontas and Daces with Wolves are the two that readily spring to mind that have previously done the same plot. I really don't see how it's Eearth-shattering and award-worthy to tell people they shouldn't invade other people's territory and wreck their property. It's a good moral, but one we all learned in Kindergarten. I don't understand why people think it's such and important movie for a great environmental and moral message, when everyone already knows what it's saying. I was just talking to my sister when I visted she thought it was a bad movie, with awful dialogue. At least I'm not alone.

An yet, the art was beautiful, it's saving grace.

Stephen Lang as Colonel Miles Quaritch was the only good thing about this film, the FX where great, but, after the first 10 minutes of saying "wow" they just didn't hold me. it was like watching a disney film [i hate disney films]

Despite my scathing review, I've ordered the special edition blueray from Amazon. Ironically, since the only good thing about the movie is the artwork I had to fork out for Blueray quality for it. I do love artwork, plus my kids enjoyed it, being young enough not be be tired of the plot.

I'll report back after seeing the DVD, which has a lot of cool sounding extra material. I've always enjoyed the making of documentaries for movies and shows, and even more now that I'm involved in (hopefully) making some.

When I re-watched this on Blueray I did manage to enjoy it since I was prepared for the lack of original plot. I do love the artwork.

Well if you are going to steal the plot from virtually every Sci-fi film or story you can think of, you may as well do it big time, and do it so well people will forget you did and just enjoy your unoriginal work of art.

Hah, you don't take an already crappy film and then steal the idea like some did with a film like 'Cyborg', it just breeds a bunch of films ripping-off an already bad film.

Avatar is a type of "Frankenstein's monster' , it is not it's fault it was made, none of it's parts belong to it, but it works when you put it together, 'it's alive', and stronger than all the single entities whose parts it has taken and though it will be attacked and criticised, it will eventually be loved by many. Though I also did a bit of a critical review of Avatar elsewhere, Avatar does what it was intended to do, make lots of money and entertains a new generation of fans who more than likely have never heard of the 1957 novella by Poul Anderson entitled "Call Me Joe".

Avatar was only sweet because it was our first taste of 3D. If you enjoyed it, like I did, then I think Piranha 3D is going to be friggin amazing. Saw a teaser trailer and it looks like bloody sexy fun in 3d. Piranhas just seem to be anti fun at this spring break gone wrong. Hahaha. I am ready to see this!

I really liked the forest and the fun futuristic spin on things. My main draw was the 3d element of the film and that really changed the way I see movies. On that note I am really excited for Piranha 3D as it will be my first man vs. nature film in 3d. I am really excited to see these fish go coo coo for people puffs and ruin spring break. Apparently its the same director as Hills Have Eyes and the trailer left me hungry! 3D 3D 3D! Piranha Freakin 3D! This is going to be epic, must see! {movie zombie voice}
While searching for "Avatar" I came across the above...

@scifichic how did Piranha 3D turn out? :D I don't think I know anybody who was that excited about the movie.

Avatar is very good movie. I can't wait for the next one. I hope it will be as good if not better than the first one. :D . While waiting, here's some cool stuff that you didn't know about the movie. Tell me what you think :D