Dismiss Notice
Alien Soup is a free community for fans of science-fiction, horror, & fantasy! Everybody is welcome here.

Awalkerbit.me Community Merged With Cool Sci-fi!

Discussion in 'Announcements and News' started by Kevin, Jun 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Kevin

Kevin Code Monkey Staff Abductee

Today we have merged our sister site, A Walker Bit Me (AWBM), into Cool Sci-Fi. AWBM started life as a fan forum for the AMC TV series The Walking Dead and eventually morphed into a general horror forum. After more than a year of effort into AWBM it was apparent that the two genre forums, one sci-fi and one horror, would be best served as one community.

With the merger it means that more horror & supernatural topics will be discussed in what has been traditionally a sci-fi oriented community. It also means that more time & effort can be dedicated to one community instead of being split. (y)

All of the members of AWBM are now members at Cool Sci-Fi with the same settings and password. If your user name already existed before the merger and your email address did not match then your user name was appended with "-awbm" at the end. If you need any help with your account please let us know.

All of the threads & posts from AWBM have merged into their corresponding forums here at Cool Sci-Fi.

We are still working on bringing over the graphics gallery and the quotes from AWBM.

Welcome AWBM community members, we will make your stay here as comfortable as possible :)

Below is the original announcement at AWBM about the merger.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  2. Kevin

This week I have been working on bringing over the quotations from AWBM to Cool Sci-Fi.

Bringing over the table was pretty easy, just a matter of exporting from one database and importing to another. The fun part was cleaning up the data. The user IDs in the table all had to be changed from their AWBM values to their new CS values. No problem, a few queries and some time spent took care of it.

That was the easy part.

The problem I ran into, and the reason you don't see a "Quotes" option yet in the menu, is that the add-on has not been updated in quite some time and it has some issues with the current version of the forum software. It is unknown if the add-on author is planning on an update so it looks like I'll be having to do some tweaks to get running. :)

Stay tuned, the quotes will be back soon.

3. Kevin

The Chat Box is back!

http://coolscifi.com/chat

Quotes are back! :)

http://coolscifi.com/quotes

We still need to tweak the templates a bit to make them responsive when viewed on small screens, like phones & tablets, but everything from AWBM has been restored. :)