Back From The Dead

Title: Back from the Dead
Summary: What if Sydney and Jack hadn’t faked Vaughn’s death, but someone else did? A decade later, what happens when the truth is revealed.
Disclaimer: Alias does not belong to me. Alias belongs to J.J. Abrams and Bad Robot Productions, etc.
A/N: This is my first fanfic. I first posted this on Allies: Sydney and Vaughn Fanfiction on alias-media.com. You can also find a few of my fics on fanfiction.net under phoenix shotgun 47.

<O> <O> <O> <O> <O>

Chapter One: Reunion

“Isabelle, Carter, let’s go, you’re going to be late for school!” Sydney Bristow yelled up the stairs to her tow teenage children.

“Coming!” 15 year old Carter yelled as he took the stairs two at a time. He quickly pulled on his jacket and finished his pop tart.

“Hey, Belle, hurry up!” he yelled.

“Okay, I’m ready.” 13 year old Isabelle said, coming down the stairs and fixing her hair.

The 2 children followed their mother into the car. It was a quick drive to the middle school. “I’ll see you later.” Sydney called after Isabelle.

She then pulled into the parking lot of Vartan High School, waved goodbye to Carter, and walked over to her classroom.

Amanda Foreman was the English teacher at Vartan High.

Amanda Foreman was really Sydney Bristow.

Sydney Bristow had changed her identity to Amanda Foreman almost a decade ago. She had just found out she had a son and had safely brought him to the US from France. For the sake of her father and her new family, she agreed to go into hiding. Because there were people who were out to kill her. The same people who had killed the man she loves. The same people who killed the father of her children. The same people who had taken her guardian angel away from them. Now that she had a family, she had quit her old job, only doing a little work for her old employers every now and then. Because Sydney Bristow’s life was too dangerous now that she had children.

Sydney Bristow is a spy.

Amanda Foreman is not.

Today was October 1, the day she had met him. The day her heart had stopped. She smiled at the memory. She grasped the watch that she wore everyday. It was his father’s watch and it was broken now but it used to keep perfect time. You could set your heart to this watch. It stopped on October 1, the day they met. He had given it to her shortly after his proposal.

The day seemed to drag on. Everything reminded Amanda of her old life. The life she knew she could never have back. It took all her strength to keep from crying.

At the end of the day, she was exhausted and distracted during dinner.

“Hey mom, are you okay?” Isabelle asked.

“Yeah, I’m just tired.” Amanda answered her daughter.

“We don’t have to stay are our house tonight.” Isabelle said, referring to her friends. “We can stay at Alicia’s tonight.”

“It’s ok sweetheart. I don’t mind.” Isabelle smiled happily and walked back to her friends. Amanda wandered outside to the backyard where Carter and 2 of his friends, plus 2 dads were sitting and talking about sports.

“Anyway, I never liked the Kings.” Brad, Carter’s best friend said. Sydney’s heart beat faster at the mention of the Kings. They had been his favorite team. She shook her head and tried to forget the memory of the many nights they had spent together watching hockey.

There was a loud crash coming form the front of the house. Sydney heard her daughter scream loudly.

“Isabelle!” Sydney yelled as she ran into the room.

When she reached the living room, she saw Isabelle and her 3 best friends, Alicia, Kristen, and Massie being held at gunpoint.

A voice sneered form the doorway. “Ah, Agent Bristow, you look well.” A man stepped out of the shadows. “Definitely not dead, no are you?”

Sydney clenched her fists. The men had followed her in and looked like they were ready to attack. “Now, I wouldn’t try anything it if were you.” Sark said nonchalantly. “One wrong move, and I’ll blow their brains out.”

“What do you want from me.” Grant Bauer asked.

“What makes you think this is about you?” Sark replied. “Now, you will cooperate, or those kids will die.” He turned to his men. “Tie them up.”

After their hands had been secured by rope, Sark had them transported into a van. “Now, Ms Bristow.” He said, taking a seat across form Sydney. “We’ll have a little chat after you wake up.” Before she could react, a tranquilizer dart hit her in the neck.

When Sydney awoke, she was lying on the cold, damp floor of a cell. She quickly looked around the room. All of them were there and relatively unharmed.

“Good to see you’re awake, Sydney.” A cold voice said.

Sydney looked up in disbelief as a blond woman took a step toward her. “You.” she whispered. “You’re dead.”

The woman laughed. “Yes, it did seem that way, didn’t it? But my poor old husband failed to notice that the person he killed wasn’t me. Sound familiar, Sydney?” She took another step closer. “I am here to make your worst nightmares come true.”

“Am I supposed to be intimidated by this?” Sydney asked coolly.

Lauren slapped her. Sydney’s face stung but she remained unmoving. “We will break you. It will only be a mater of how much you want it to hurt.”

“What makes you think that you’re going to get any information out of me? How do you know it won’t take another 2 years?” Sydney asked.

“Because we have more to play with.” Lauren responded with a cruel smile as she gestured around the room.

“Their deaths will not help you.” Sydney replied, emotionlessly.

“Oh, we know that Bristow. But their pain will.” She answered. “My superior will see you later and offer you a deal.” She paused. “If you were smart, you’d accept it.” And with that, one of the most evil woman in Sydney’s life left the room.

“Mom?” Isabelle said quietly, crawling toward her mother. “What’s going on? Why did that woman keep calling you Sydney Bristow?”

“Sydney hung her head. “Honey, there is so much I have to explain. First of all, my name isn’t Amanda Foreman.” Her eyes stung, recalling a similar conversation like this. “My name is Sydney Bristow. I work for the US government. I can’t be anymore specific, but these people want intelligence that I, under no circumstances, am going to give them.

Isabelle looked up at her with tears in her eyes. “You lied to me. And to Carter. Is that even his name? Are you even our real mother? Is he even my brother?” She yelled.

“Of course I am. I just need you to understand that everything I have done is to protect you.” Sydney replied. “I know what you’re going through. Please just understand that I love you.”

“Very touching, Sydney.” A woman said, entering the cell.

Sydney looked at her, more tears rushing to her eyes. “So you’re Lauren’s superior? You’re behind all of this?”

“Yes, sweetheart, I am.” The woman said, leaning down, and looking Sydney in the eye. “And like she said, I am here to offer you a dead. You tell me where the Horizon is and I’ll let everyone go.”

“You have got to be kidding me. I will never tell you where the Horizon is.” Sydney yelled. “It was his life’s work to protect it and I’m not about to sabotage that.”

“Sydney, he is gone.” The woman stated.

“Because of you!” Sydney spat. “I bet you’re the one who orchestrated all of this. My abduction… everything.”

“Yes.” She answered simply.

“Is this what you mean, when you said ‘Truth takes time’. Is this the truth?” Sydney asked choking back tears.

“Yes.” She replied again. “I had this all planned out. Why do you think you and him met? That was all because of me. And the pieces fell into place rather well, I should say.” She said, smiling.

“How dare you try to control my life. You took 2 years away from me. 2 year of my life. What more do you want from me? you’ve destroyed the life I loved, and now this one too. You’ve taken away my job, my home, my friends, and my family. What more do you have to take from me?” Sydney was nearly hysterical now. She was shaking with rage as she continued. “Don’t you dare talk to me like you set this all up. Don’t you dare say that everything was fake. Because it wasn’t. I love him. I know that was real. You took away the only real thing I had… I fell for you. Even dad fell for you. But he never did. He saw right through you and that’s why you got rid of him.”

“You should have listened to him while you had the chance.” The woman turned away from her and left.

At exactly 7:47, a long glass container was wheeled into the room. Sydney nearly fainted. She recognized what the container was used for. And she knew who was in it. The woman from before entered the room.

“I will make this very simple. This is the very last offer I will present you.” She said, leaning against the glass chamber. “You can choose love or freedom.”

“Love or freedom.” Sydney repeated.

“Yes. You choose freedom; I let you all go. Except for him.” she gestured to the cyrogenic chamber. “You choose love, you will all be kept here, but he will live.”

“Wake him up. I need to know he’s alive. Sydney whispered hoarsely as she kneeled next to the body of the man she had loved for nearly 2 decades and had mourned for 1.

The woman pressed a few buttons and his eyes fluttered open. They grew wider when they saw her.

“Syd. I’m so sorry. It’s been so long. I’m so…”

“Sh… stop.” Sydney placed her against the glass. “Oh, my god.”

“So sweetheart, what’s your decision? Love or Freedom.” Irina asked, interrupting the moment or happiness.

“No, Syd. Don’t sacrifice your freedom for me. Don’t do it. I’m not worth it.” the man said, begging her with his eyes to escape.

“No, Vaughn. I’ve given up too much already…” she paused. “I’m not going to lose you again. I just can’t. I need you here.”

“So I take it you choose love.” Irina said. Sydney nodded slowly, not taking her eyes off of the man in the glass. “Try anything, if you attempt to breakout, I will press this button which activated the vacuum. It will suck all of the air out of the chamber.” She smiled evilly and left.

“You shouldn’t have done that.” Vaughn whispered.

“Yeah, mom what were you thinking? You shouldn’t have done that.” Isabelle said, walking over to her mother. Her eyes widened as she saw the man in the chamber. “Oh my god. You look just like someone I know… you look just like Carter.” She turned to her brother. “Carter come here.”

Vaughn stared up at Sydney with shocked eyes. Then he caught the girl’s attention. “Isabelle?”

She gasped and nodded, speechless. Carter had reached them now and was staring at the man. “I’ve seen you somewhere. In a picture.” Then it dawned on him. “Who… who are you?”

Vaughn looked curiously at Sydney. “Carter, Isabelle, this is Michael Vaughn... your father.”

“Our what? You said that our dad died!” Carter hissed angrily.

“I thought so too. I really did. But I found him.” Sydney had tears in her eyes. Then she talked quickly in French. “When they kidnapped me, I was a few weeks pregnant. My mom was able to take Carter away to a safe family. For some reason I didn’t remember until after your ‘death’. I searched for a year and finally found him.”

Vaughn nodded. “I should have been there for you. I’m sorry.” He replied in French.

Carter and Isabelle were staring at their parents. “How do I know that he’s really my father. Or that you’re really my mother. I didn’t even know you could speak another language! Nice to know that my so called parents are completely honest with me.” Carter mumbled before walking away.

Before Isabelle followed him, Sydney grabbed her hand. “Belle, I need you to know that everything I have done is to protect you, your brother, your father, and my friends. Everything I have done is because I love you. There are things you are going to find out about your father and I that you will despise, but you need to know that what happened… everything was because I love my family. I know that won’t justify my action, but I want to explain myself.”

Isabelle nodded slowly. “I understand that.” she paused. “But lying to me in the first place, that’s where you went wrong. I will never forgive you for deceiving me. I never want to see you again.” She walked away and sat down next to her friends.

“Syd.” Vaughn mumbled. “Sydney, they’ll forgive you. You forgave your father, they’ll forgive you and hopefully me.”

“God, I hope so.” Sydney whispered back.

“Listen, we need to figure out what they want. If we can do that, we might be able to get out of here.” Vaughn said.

“They want the Horizon.” Sydney said. “But there’s gotta be something else.”

“The Prophecy.” Vaughn whispered. “They think that they’re fulfilling it.”

Here's the next chapter. Enjoy!

Chapter Two: Sometimes, The Truth Hurts

Isabelle flung the harsh words at her mother and walked back to her friends.

“Are you ok?” Alicia asked.

“NO! Do I look ok? I’ve just found out that my mother has lied to me for my entire life. I am not ok!” Isabelle
hissed.

Alicia backed away from her in shock. “Look, I realize that your family might have um, issues. Just don’t take them out on me.”

“I’m sorry.” Isabelle said. “This is just way too much to take in.”

Massie put a hand on Belle’s shoulder. “Personally, if I were you, I’d try to forgive your mother.” She put her hand up to silence Isabelle’s protests. “Just here me out. It sounds like she was trying to protect you two.” She looked over at Carter.

Isabelle glanced at her mother. She was hunched over the containing, talking to the man who was apparently her father.

“You don’t really expect us to just waltz over there and say, ‘We understand that you lied to us for all of our lives, but hey that’s ok, we forgive you.’ and then start acting like one big happy family.” Carter said sarcastically.

“No, I’m not saying that. I’m just saying you should maybe think about what they said before you go storming
out and get yourself killed.” Massie shot back at him.

Carter slumped back against the wall and ran his hands through his hair. Isabelle tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear. The siblings talked together quietly for an hour before they had made a decision.

Carter slowly got up and pulled Isabelle to her feet. Together, they walked over to their parents.

Sydney tore her eyes off of Vaughn when Carter and Isabelle took as seat beside her.

“Mom…” Isabelle said quietly.

“Listen Isabelle, your father and I were talking and we know there are a lot of things you don’t know. And we
will tell you exactly what you deserve to know.” Sydney said.

“Thank you.” Carter said. His eyes met his father’s. “Dad?”

“Carter, Isabelle… I can’t tell you how sorry I am that I wasn’t there for you… or your mother.” Vaughn wheezed. He had a sudden fit of coughing.

“Vaughn? Vaughn, breath, honey.” Sydney said.

Vaughn continued to cough. Soon he was coughing up blood.

“Dad!” Carter yelled. “What’s going on?” Isabelle was paralyzed with fear and couldn’t move.

“I don’t know. Michael? Michael! Help! We need help in here!” Sydney yelled. She pounded on the door. A guard opened the door slowly, his weapon drawn.

“What is going on here?” He asked in a thick Russian accent.

“We need a doctor. He’s coughing up blood.” Sydney said.

“That is your problem not mine.” He sneered, slamming the door shut.

“No!” Sydney screamed. She ran back to Vaughn. He had stopped coughing, but the chamber was now a bloody mess. Blood was still pouring from his nose and mouth. “Michael, nod if you can breath.” He nodded slowly. “Oh, god. What’s going on?”

Irina burst through the door. 2 doctors followed her along with 5 guards. They pushed Sydney, Carter, and Isabelle out of the way while the doctors wheeled Vaughn out.

“Where are you taking him?” Sydney yelled, fighting against the guards.

“Somewhere we can operate.” Irina said. “It seems like the treatments backfired.”

“What treatments?” Sydney asked. Irina ignored her and walked out.

“DAD!” Isabelle shrieked, finally finding her voice. “DADDY!” One of the guards pushed her down on the ground before they left.

“Belle are you ok?” Sydney said, the tears starting to fall.

“Yeah… but dad…”

“We’ll get him back. Don’t worry.” Carter said.

<O> <O> <O> <O> <O>

“Sir, we’ve just reviewed the surveillance video of Sydney’s house and we found this.” Marshall Flinkman said to Jack Bristow, pulling up the footage.

There was a clear image of Sark on the screen, pointing his gun at Isabelle and her friends. Sydney then appeared in the room, followed by Carter and his friends. Then Sark’s men entered and bound them all.

“Now, that’s all that I was able to recover so far. They did a really good job and erased most of it. I mean really good. Like almost Flinkman good. Almost.” he chuckled but stopped when Jack shot him his infamous glare. “Um... right,so the cameras in the front yard weren’t working though, so I have no idea what vehicle they’re in or where they went.” Marshall said.

“Is it possible to retrieve the video?” Jack asked.

“Well, yes, it is. It might take awhile. But yes, I guess it’s possible.” Marshall said, playing with the pen in his hands. Suddenly, a long thick cord shot out of the pen and landed on Jack’s tie. “Oh, sorry, sir. I forgot that this pen had a cable inside it…” Jack attempted to pull it off but failed. “Oh, and it has um, this special adhesive on the end… you won’t be able to take it off that easily. I designed it so that you could like shoot at the ceiling and then like, ride up to the top. It’s still in the beginning stages but you know, and I've been the only one to test it…” Marshall stopped as Jack shoved his tie into his hands.

“Go work on the video surveillance. That is your number one priority. You can worry about my tie as soon as my daughter and grandchildren are safe.” He barked.

Marshall nodded quickly, grabbed his briefcase, and practically ran out of the room.

Jack summoned an emergency meeting.

“We have confirmed that Sydney, Carter, Isabelle, and a few of their friends were abducted by Julian Sark. We’re still going over the video feed to try and find out where he took them and why. I want you to investigate every single person we know Sark has had contact with in the last year. If we know his motives or who he’s working for, we might have an idea of where he took them.”

Rachel, Tom, Dixon, Weiss, and Nadia left the room and headed toward their workstations.

An hour later, Dixon entered the room with a file in his hands. “Sark had been in constant contact with Irina Derevko in the past 7 months. And we’ve found this picture.”

Jack flipped open the file. It was a picture of Irina Derevko with Julian Sark and…

“Lauren Reed?”

“I’ve had Marshall run it through the face recognition program. It’s a 94.7 match.” Dixon said.

“Do we have any idea where they’ve set up their headquarters or what they want?” Jack asked, quickly skimming through the file.

“No, but knowing what we do, it’s got to be something about Rambaldi. Specifically, the Horizon.” Dixon replied.

“Rambaldi again.” Jack muttered, shaking his head. “I want Tom and Rachel to look into Sark's, Irina's, and Lauren's movements during the past 6 months. We might be able to find a pattern. I want you, Nadia, and Weiss to look at old Covenant, Alliance, and Prophet Five headquarters and rendezvous points and see if any have been active.” Dixon nodded and headed out of Jack’s office.

Jack walked over to his phone. He had an idea of where Irina was. The phone rang 3 times before the man picked up.

“Hello.”

“Bill, its Jack. I need a favor.”

“I’m sorry, I don’t know what you’re talking about.” The man replied in a thick French accent.

“Bill, this is about Sydney.” Jack quickly explained the situation. “Can you look into Irina's old Russian safehouses? She has no idea I know about these, so it would be a logical place for her to go.”

“Alright, I will do that.” Bill replied.

“Thank you William.” Jack before he hung up.

WHAT!?!?!?!
William Vaughn is alive...
Can't wait to see what happens next.
I hope Vaughn will be okay...
What treatment was Irina talking about?
Thanks for the pm.

A/N: Hey guys, sorry for the wait but a lot of stuff has been going on this week best friend’s dad passed away…

So anyways here’s the next chapter

<O> <O> <O> <O> <O>

Chapter Three: Leo 47-Norte

Jack sat by his phone waiting. He had been for the last 3 hours. Finally, it rang.

“Hello?”

“You were right. He’s at an old abandoned warehouse. I’m sending you the coordinates now.” Bill said.

Jack turned to his computer. A message popped up. He quickly opened it. Inside there was the coordinate of the warehouse. Bill had also included pictures of the warehouse and the cell that Sydney and the others were being held in.

“I couldn’t get a count on the guards, but there are some pretty sophisticated equipment there.” He paused. “Take a look at that last picture.”

Jack opened it up. It was a photo of Michael Vaughn, bloody and beaten, being operated on.

“Did you have any idea he was alive?” Bill asked.

“No, I honestly didn’t know, Bill.” Jack said. “What are they doing to him?”

“That’s exactly what I want to know.” Bill replied. “Contact me… when they’re all safe. It’s about time he learns the truth.”

<O> <O> <O> <O> <O>

Days after she had left, Irina walked back into the cell holding her daughter.

“So, Sydney, I hope I’m getting an answer this time. There is the Horizon?” She asked.

Sydney remained silent and just glared at her.

Surprisingly, Irina felt no pity for her daughter.

“You lied to me.” Sydney said, breaking the silence.

“Sometimes the truth hurts.” Irina replied.

“Where is Vaughn?” Sydney asked.

“He’s in good hands, though I have to say, I’m quite disappointed by this unfortunate turn of events.” Irina said nonchalantly.

“What did you do to him?” Isabelle asked. “What did you do to my father?”

Irina laughed. “You’re already defending him, now are you? You don’t even no half of the story.” She motioned to the guards outside the door. They entered and grabbed Isabelle. “We’ll see you in a little while.”

Isabelle kicked and screamed, but she couldn’t get free.

“No! Don’t touch her let her go!” Carter yelled. He lunged for the guards. Sydney pulled him back.

“Let her go! She doesn’t know a thing. She isn’t part of this.” Sydney yelled.

“You have no idea exactly how big of a part your children will play.” Irina sneered.

The others shouted, begged, for them to let Isabelle go. But their please went unheard. Irina had slammed the door behind her as she left.

<O> <O> <O> <O> <O>

Jack Bristow and his team of agents were waiting outside the warehouse in Russia. He activated his comm and whispered. “This is Raptor. What do you see, Merlin.”

“Well, right now, from what I can access, Vaughn is in the OR in the eastern wing of the warehouse, first floor. They’re taking Isabelle into what looks like a… it looks like an interrogation room, it’s on the second floor, 6th door on the left. Sydney and the others are together in a cell, um… it’s on the underground level, the 1st door you hit.”

“Alright, Nadia, Dixon, I want your team to get Sydney. Weiss your team gets Vaughn. My team, we’re going to get Isabelle. Tom, Rachel, I want your teams to look for Irina Derevko, Julian Sark, and Lauren Reed. Do not let them get away. Marshall, keep us posted.” Jack said. “On my signal… go!”

<O> <O> <O> <O> <O>

Isabelle was strapped into a large chair with leather straps. A blond woman entered the room.

“Hello Isabelle. It’s just a pleasure to finally meet you.” She said, pulling white latex gloves on.

“Who are you?” Isabelle asked. “What do you want?”

“I’m Lauren Reed, your father’s ex-wife. And what I want is information.” Lauren didn’t pause to let Isabelle digest this new piece of information. “I think you might be able to give me what I want.’

“What! I’m not a spy. I don’t know anything!” Isabelle said. She watched nervously as Lauren pulled out a syringe and filled it with bright led liquid.

She laughed. “We know you’re not a spy. But there might have been a conversation you overheard, or a piece of paper you saw that contains the information you want.” Without warning, Lauren jabbed the sharp instrument into Isabelle’s neck.

Isabelle cried out in surprise. She soon found that she was unable to move her fingers and toes. The paralysis soon spread to her legs and arms.

“Oh, I might have forgotten to mention a common side effect.” Lauren said, noticing the panic on the girl’s face. “You won’t be able to move for a few minutes, possibly hours.” She bent down and looked Isabelle in the eye. “Where is the Horizon?”

Isabelle’s mind involuntarily searched through memories that she didn’t even know she had.

Flashback

Isabelle had just woken up from her nap and wandered toward her mother’s room. The door was open just a crack and she saw her mother on the phone, her back to the door.

“I don’t know what it is… the only thing I know about the Horizon is that it has something to do with Leo-47-Norte.”

Isabelle put her hand on the door and slowly pushed it open. Her mother turned around.

“I’ve got to go. Isabelle’s up. Bye dad.”

End Flashback

Isabelle was once again startled by this revelation. Her grandfather was alive, and he was a spy. How many “dead” family members was she going to meet this week?

“Where is the Horizon?” Lauren’s icy voice interrupted her thoughts.

Isabelle told herself not to say anything, but her mouth had a different idea.

“It’s ah, Leo…” She paused and felt a bead of sweat run down her forehead. “… 47-Norte…”

Just then, the door was kicked open. 5 masked agents dressed in all back and carrying large guns stormed the room. They shot down Lauren and the 3 other guards quickly.

One of the agents ran over to her and pulled off his mask. He had short graying hair and a stony expression.

“Isabelle are you ok?” he asked.

“I… ah… yeah… can’t move but… who are you.” There were so many questions running through her head.

“I’m Jack Bristow. Your grandfather.” He began to cut through the straps that were binding her. “We’ve got the others. You don’t have to worry.”

Jack picked Isabelle up and walked out of the torture chamber.

“What did they want?” he asked the scared girl.

“Something called the Horizon.” She answered.

“Did you tell them anything?”

“I… I told them Leo-47-Norte.” Isabelle said. “I… I’m sorry.”

“It’s ok, we’re going to fix this.” Jack activated the comm in his ear. “Search the buildings. I want to know if anyone else could have witnessed Isabelle’s interrogation.

Jack received another message over the comm. As soon as he heard it, he broke into a sprint. A flood of light hit him as he ran outside and toward the extraction point.

<O> <O> <O> <O> <O>

“It’s ah… Leo… 47-Norte.”

As soon as the words had left Isabelle’s lips, Irina had jumped up and gathered her equipment. She flicked a series of switches before running out of the room. She ran up the stairs and toward the awaiting elevator. She had seen her ex-husband on the cameras and knew it was only a matter of time before he started to look for her.

She pulled out her cell phone and called the pilot or the helicopter. “Get ready, we’re leaving for France.” She snapped the phone shut and stuffed it back in her pocket.

One floor away from the roof, a door flew open. 2 CIA agents walked out. Irina saw them and used her momentum to knock one of them off his feet. She swung her bag around and knocked the other agent unconscious before kicking the first one in the stomach. He crashed into the wall and lay still.

That was too easy, she though with a smile.

She pushed the final door open and was hit by a strong wind from the helicopter blades. Quickly covering the last few feet, she leapt into the helicopter and slammed the door shut. She habitually tucked a stray strand of her brunette hair behind her ear.

The pilot took off almost before she was completely inside the vehicle. Irina glanced down and saw a few CIA agents run onto the roof. She smirked.

They were too late.

A/N: Thanks so much to my wonderful beta, Kim.

<O> <O> <O> <O> <O>

Chapter Four: The Escape

Sydney hadn’t stood still for one second since Vaughn and Isabelle were taken. She looked at every single inch of the cell, looking for a flaw, anything to help them escape.

Carter watched his mother pace around the cell. Millions of questions where flooding into his brain. There was so much he needed to know. He opened his mouth to speak, but a loud bang resounded before her could say a word.

Sydney was on her feet when the door was violently kicked open. She was about to throw a punch at the intruders when she saw the face of an old friend.

“Nadia!” Sydney exclaimed in surprise.

“Sydney, thank god you’re alright.” Nadia said pulling her into a quick hug.

“We don’t have time.” Sydney said, throwing a brief smile at Dixon, who had just entered the room. “They’ve got Isabelle, and Vaughn…”

“Syd, we know. Jack is getting Isabelle, and Weiss is dealing with Vaughn.” Dixon said.

“Well I’m not just going to stand around here. I’m going after Lauren.” Sydney replied.

“Alright.” Dixon replied tossing her a gun. “Nadia, stay with the others until the backup team gets here.” Nadia nodded as Sydney and Dixon left.

They reached a door at the end of the corridor. On Dixon’s signal, Sydney flung the door open.

Their efforts were irrelevant for the room was deserted. Sydney cautiously lowered her gun and glanced around the room.

The room was completely white, resembling an institution. Sydney opened a nearby cabinet and found that it was filled with DNA samples. Dixon walked over to a table covered with files. He opened one.

“Syd, come her.” Dixon said, opening up more files.

“What is it?” She asked.

“Look.”

It was a file on Carter. His whole life had been documented. It listed his grades, the sports he played, his favorite foods, even his favorite color. There was a file on Isabelle too. And one of Sydney, Vaughn, Dixon and his children, Tom, Rachel, Nadia, Weiss, Jack, Marshall, Carrie, Mitchell, and so many more people.

“What is all of this for?”

“It looks like their researching our DNA.” Dixon stated.

“Genetic mutation?” Sydney asked.

“Maybe.” Dixon pulled out a small camera and began to photograph the files.

“Guys, this is Mockingbird. There’s a bomb about to detonate in less than 90 seconds. We need to evacuate the premise.” Rachel yelled to Dixon over the comm link.

“Copy that.” Dixon said. “We’ve got to get out of here. A bomb’s going to go off.” He took one final picture of the room before following Sydney out the door.

<O> <O> <O> <O> <O>

On Jack’s signal, Tom and Rachel led their team through the west wing of the building. “Merlin, have you found anything?” Rachel asked.

“I can’t find the source of the signal… okay, hold on… right, take the next flight of stairs and it should be the 4th door on the left.”

When Rachel and Tom burst into the room, it was vacant.

“She’s going for the roof!” Tom shouted. He motioned the men to start heading up. Rachel grabbed his arm.

“We have to get out of here. It’s a bomb.” She motioned to the bomb on the table.

“Can’t you just disable it? Tom asked, taking a step forward to examine the bomb.

“Not in 90 seconds.” Rachel said.

“Damn it!” A gunshot rang out outside the room. Tom and Rachel drew their guns and pushed open the door. One of their men was laying against the wall dead.

They heard footsteps pound the floor. Tom took off after the killer, with Rachel trailing him.

She activated her comm. “Guys, this is Mockingbird. There’s a bomb about to detonate in less than 90 seconds. We need to evacuate the premise.”

<O> <O> <O> <O> <O>

Eric Weiss ran down the hall of the eastern wing. He reached the OR and signaled his team to stay quiet.

He peered in. There were only 2 doctors and it looked like Vaughn was all stitched up. He shoved the door open and shot one of the doctors. The other doctor was down in just a few seconds.

Weiss walked over to his friend. “Good to see you man.” Weiss said. A medic began to examine Vaughn.

“Yeah, same here. But Sydney…”

“We’ve got things under control.” Weiss said. “I’ve got Vaughn. What’re the other’s status?”

“Jack’s almost got Isabelle. Sydney is with Dixon and Nadia is with the others. We haven’t heard back from Tom and Rachel yet, but they’re fine.” Marshall squeaked.

“They’re fine.” Weiss said. “What did they do to you?”

“They had me locked up for the first 2 years. I got out for a while but they just caught me again. After that, I can’t really remember. I know I was put into a cryogenic chamber… and that’s where I was when I woke up and saw Sydney… but that’s all I remember.” Vaughn replied.

They sat in silence as the medic wrapped up the quick examination.

“Guys, this is Mockingbird. There’s a bomb about to detonate in less than 90 seconds. We need to evacuate the premise.” Rachel said over the comm.

“Let’s go guys.” Weiss said. He took charge of Vaughn’s gurney and wheeled him out of the building.

Vaughn looked up and saw a helicopter take off from the top of the building. They were a few hundred feet away from the building before the bombs exploded. The whole building crumbled to the ground.

<O> <O> <O> <O> <O>

Nadia lead the prisoners out of the building and to the van.

“Hey, Evergreen. Sark is headed your way.” Marshall said.

“Copy that.” She designated a few agents to stay with the Carter and his friends.

“Guys, this is Mockingbird. There’s a bomb about to detonate in less than 90 seconds. We need to evacuate the premise.” Rachel said over the comm.

“I’m not letting Sark get away.” Nadia said.

She and 5 other agents followed Marshall’s directions. They spotted Sark running toward a boat. Nadia took careful aim and hit Sark right in the leg. He collapsed and yelled in pain.

Tom and Rachel soon appeared, running after Kelly Peyton. Nadia’s team opened fire on her. Sark shouted for her help but she didn’t come. She didn’t even turn back. She just kept running. Rachel managed to hit her in the arm, but that didn’t faze her. She jumped on the boat and was soon out of sight.

“We’ve got Sark. Peyton got away. She’s on a boat headed south.” Nadia said to Marshall as her team bound Sark.

“Alright, I’ll just reposition some of these satellites… ok, we’re tracking her.” Marshall replied.

“Good.” Nadia said.

They ran back to the extraction point. The building exploded moments after the got there. Screams erupted from the civilians they had rescued.

“Mom!” Carter screamed. “Where is she?”

“It’s ok, she’s probably just at the other extraction point we set up.” Nadia said to her nephew.

God please let everyone be ok. Please let them have gotten out. Nadia prayed silently.

<O> <O> <O> <O> <O>

Hm... no one's reviewed... :(

Oh well, today's my day to update so here's the next chapter.

<O> <O> <O> <O> <O>

Chapter Five: Truth Be Told

Vaughn was quickly rushed to a nearby hospital, to ensure that he was stitched up properly. Sydney had wanted to go with him, but her father had convinced her to stay with Carter and Isabelle. That was why Jack Bristow was sitting in Vaughn’s hospital room as the doctor examined him.

“Everything looks ok.” The doctor said. “They stitched you up perfectly. Just don’t run a marathon for a few weeks and you’ll be just fine.

When he was declared fit for travel, Jack led him out to their CIA issued car. Jack stepped into the driver’s side but didn’t start the engine.

“Jack, shouldn’t we be… going?” Vaughn asked tentatively.

Jack sighed. “Mr. Vaughn, there is something you should know.”

There was an awkward silence.

“Your father is alive.” Jack said monotonously.

“My father is what?” Vaughn asked as Jack pulled out of the parking lot.

“Your father was recruited by an agency Prophet Five to decipher a book. Then members of his team started to be killed. Irina had apparently been a small contributor to Prophet Five. From what your father has told me, it seems that he made a deal with Irina in exchange for his freedom.”

“Are you going to be telling me what the deal was?” Vaughn asked impatiently.

“Irina had just gotten pregnant. The KGB had found out and wanted her baby. When Bill approached her, she took advantage of his offer. She agreed to fake his death if he gave her his daughter. He faked your sister’s death and gave her to Irina. So Irina took your sister to the KGB and she was treated with Project Christmas. They didn’t find out about what she did until later and that’s when Irina turned her full attention to running Prophet Five.”

“So, my dad is alive and I have a sister who has been working with the KGB.” Vaughn repeated in disbelief.

“Yes, but your sister isn’t working with the KGB. Your father watched her like a hawk after Irina took her. After Irina left and with a little of my help, he infiltrated the KGB and was able to get your sister, Evangeline, out. Since then, they’ve been traveling a lot, staying away from Prophet Five. After we presumed you were dead, they contacted me with information proving otherwise. I’ve been working with them to locate you. We’ve come close so many times, but this was our break. We were finally able to isolate the facility you were being kept in.”

“So when am I going to get to see them?” Vaughn asked.

“We have to see how Prophet Five reacts to this. Irina might start looking for your father again. We don’t know. They’re just going to keep moving around and when the time is right, they’ll get to L.A.” Jack replied. “The only other person who knows about this is Dixon. I felt that it would be best if you told Sydney. They are the only people you can talk with about this.” Jack parked the car and headed toward the private jet.

Vaughn followed closely, his mind spinning with millions of questions.

<O> <O> <O> <O> <O>

Sydney and Dixon led the civilians to the transport plane. While they were boarding, Dixon pulled Sydney aside.

“Syd, Jack and I talked about this and we decided that we need to debrief the children. We know it’s dangerous, but it’s better for them to know the truth now, than find out like you did.”

“It seems that my dad is finally learning from his mistakes.” Sydney replied quietly.

Sydney sat back in the plane with Carter and Isabelle, waiting for her father and Vaughn so they could begin the debriefing.

Her thoughts wandered back to the day she had thought he was gone forever.

Flashback

It had been a simple mission. Just a routine meet. Nothing too dangerous or risky.

But of course, things didn’t go as planned.

Sydney and Vaughn were going to be on point, while Marshall, Jack, and Weiss were backup.

“Well isn’t it a lovely day here?” Sydney asked, clutching onto Vaughn’s arm, playing the part of the perfect tourist wife. They were strolling the garden, which had a perfect view of Taal Volcano.

“Yeah, now if you could just do something about the heat and the bugs, it would be perfect.” Vaughn muttered back.

Sydney laughed. “Oh, come on, it’s not that bad.”

“Well, it is beautiful here.” Vaughn replied sighing.

“Phoenix, Shotgun, your contact should be sitting at the table by the window.” Jack said. He turned to Marshall. “Go thermal.”

Sydney and Vaughn walked into the cool air-conditioned restaurant. They spotted their contact, sitting at the table, sipping a glass for wine.

“Something’s wrong.” Vaughn whispered, pulling Sydney back.

“What is it?” She asked. She hadn’t noticed anything peculiar.

“I juts… I have a feeling…” Suddenly, a small bomb was thrown through the window of the restaurant, killing their contact. “Go!” Vaughn shouted.

Sydney ran toward the door, only to be stopped by a tall, husky guard. She grabbed a nearby tray and struck him on the head. The guard feel back, stunned. As she ran past, he grabbed onto her ankle. She twisted her foot around and stabbed her heal into his arm. The guard immediately let go of her and yelled in pain.

Another bomb went off, filling the building with smoke. She heard her father yelling orders to Marshall and Weiss, but didn’t have time to respond.

As she ran out onto the terrace, she noticed that Vaughn wasn’t with her.

“Shotgun!” She yelled, no response. “Shotgun!” She started to run back toward the restaurant.

“Raptor, what’s going on with Shotgun?” she asked.

“He’s in the west wing.” Weiss replied. “We’re coming.”

Sydney nodded to herself and ran toward the kitchen. She kicked the door open and found Vaughn battling a tall blond agent. Without breaking her run, she grabbed two stray knives on the counter and flung them at the agent, killing him. Vaughn rushed over toward her, grabbed her hand, and ran out toward the extraction point.

Sydney felt Vaughn drop suddenly. She sees the bright red blood oozing from the wound in his chest. She rushed over to him, but before she could reach him, his assailant cut her off.

The woman shot Sydney in the shoulder, causing her to reel backwards, back onto the terrace. Sydney pulled out a knife, hidden in her dress and tossed it at her attacker. The woman dove out of the way, unscratched. Instead, she threw herself at Sydney, knocking her to the ground. Sydney rolled over, trying to push the enemy off or get an advantage.

Suddenly, the red-haired woman lifted her head. She gave Sydney a final punch in the face and ran to the other end of the terrace. Sydney struggled to get up and chased after her. A helicopter surfaced out of its hiding place among the trees. A ladder quickly lowered and the woman climbed up with ease. Sydney found a gun, but she was too far away.

Then she remembered Vaughn. Mentally slapping herself, she ran back toward the restaurant. It was then charred from the fire that’s still raging inside. The screams of the innocent customers echoed as her feet pounded the soft grass.

Without warning, the entire building exploded. Sydney was knocked off her feet. Debris showered down on her and she found it hard to breathe. The enormous amount of smoke didn’t help either. She lifted her head and screamed out his name.

“Shotgun!” her comm no longer worked.

She saw him, near the edge of the mountain, fighting with another agent. He was wounded and he was losing a lot of blood. She looked around for a weapon she could use, but only found a long piece of wood. She ran toward them and tossed the projectile like a javelin. It hit the man in the shoulder, but he didn’t turn his attention to her. Instead, he pushed Vaughn off the edge of the cliff.

“VAUGHN!” She screamed in terror as she watched him plummet to lake below. “Raptor, this is Phoenix. Shotgun was just pushed over the side of the cliff.” She said, trying to control her breathing but failing miserably.

She stumbled toward the edge, her dress ripped, her face dirty and tear-streaked. Her father ran over to her, grabbing her arm.

“Phoenix, we need to get out of here!” he yelled.

“But… Vaughn…” She began only to be cut off by another bomb.

“We can’t worry about him right now. Weiss is trying to find him. We need to get you out.” They ran toward the extraction point as another shower of explosions bombard the property.

They reach the van and waited anxiously for Weiss to return. The minutes ticked by before Weiss responded on his comm.

“Raptor, I’ve got nothing. I could expand my search but…” Weiss trails off. “It’s not likely he’d be able to swim with the wound in his chest. If he was… alive, he would have broken the surface for air by now.

“Houdini, head to the extraction point before more of their agents come.” He turned to Sydney. “There’s nothing we can do. There aren’t enough of us…”

Sydney nodded and silently let the tears fall. She couldn’t believe that in an instant, she lost him. She didn’t want to believe it.

End Flashback

“Sydney, Syd… wake up.” Sydney felt Vaughn shaking her slightly. Her eyes quickly fluttered open.

“Hm…” She yawned, stretching her arms.

“It’s time for the briefing.” Vaughn whispered, helping her to her feet.

She followed him to the secluded compartment at the back of the plane. When they entered, she found Carter, Isabelle, her father, and Dixon waiting for them.

Sydney and Vaughn took their seats and then Dixon began to speak.

“Well, I think all of us knew that this day was going to come eventually.” He turned to the teens. “The information you are about to here is classified. You cannot repeat a single word of it to anyone. If you do, your lives… all of our lives will be put in even more danger than usual. So I guess we’ll start from the beginning.”

Sydney nodded and began to explain. “When I entered college, I was approached by an agency called SD-6. They told me they were a black ops group of the CIA and wanted to recruit me. I joined them and worked for them for 7 years under a man named Arvin Sloane.”

“Then, I got engaged to a man named Danny Hecht. I told him about my life as a spy… but when the head of SD-6 found out, he had him murdered. I went to the only place I could think of, the CIA. That’s when I learned the truth. SD-6 wasn’t a hidden branch of the CIA. I’d been working for the very people I thought I was fighting against. I accepted a double agent role at the real, good CIA where my handler was your father, Michael Vaughn.” She gestured to the man sitting next to her.

“That’s when I found out that your grandfather was also working undercover at SD-6. I learned that your grandmother, Irina Derevko also known as Laura Bristow, hadn’t really died in a car accident, she was a KGB agent that killed William Vaughn, your grandfather, on your father’s side.” Sydney noted the uncomfortable look Vaughn threw at her father.

“We continued to counter all of SD-6’s moves and eventually brought them down. Arvin Sloane got away so we pursued him. 6 months after the downfall of SD-6, Sydney… your mother, was abducted.” Vaughn said. “They had murdered her best friend and sent in a genetic double. Your mother found out and they fought. They both passed out. The Covenant kidnapped her and made it look like she died. They burned her house down and planted fake remains.”

“During the two years I was missing, they tried to brainwash me. But it didn’t work. I pretended to believe that I was Julia Thorne and once they trusted me, I contacted the CIA. They ordered me to stay and double for them. I had my memory erased and finally returned to L.A.” Sydney said, glancing at Vaughn.

Vaughn sighed. “During those 2 years your mother was missing, I… got married to a woman named Lauren Reed. We later found out that she was part of the Covenant. I killed her when she tried to kill your mother.”

“Wow, talk about a divorce.” Carter muttered.

“We also learned that your grandmother had an affair with Arvin Sloane. She had a child named Nadia. We located Nadia and recruited her to the CIA.” Dixon said.

“Anyways, we were just on a normal mission when an enemy agency called Prophet Five ambushed us. I was shot in the chest and pushed over the cliff.” Vaughn said. “The rest of my captivity is a bit of a haze…” he trailed off. Sydney silently put her hand over his and smiled.

“We all thought he was dead. There was no way he could have survived that fall without help.” Sydney said.

“This is all we really have time for right now.” Jack said. Dixon led the children out of the room.

Sydney got up to leave but Jack stopped her. “Sydney, there’s something else you need to know.”

<O> <O> <O> <O> <O>

<O> <O> <O> <O> <O>

Chapter Five: Truth Be Told

Vaughn was quickly rushed to a nearby hospital, to ensure that he was stitched up properly. Sydney had wanted to go with him, but her father had convinced her to stay with Carter and Isabelle. That was why Jack Bristow was sitting in Vaughn’s hospital room as the doctor examined him.

“Everything looks ok.” The doctor said. “They stitched you up perfectly. Just don’t run a marathon for a few weeks and you’ll be just fine.

When he was declared fit for travel, Jack led him out to their CIA issued car. Jack stepped into the driver’s side but didn’t start the engine.

“Jack, shouldn’t we be… going?” Vaughn asked tentatively.

Jack sighed. “Mr. Vaughn, there is something you should know.”

There was an awkward silence.

“Your father is alive.” Jack said monotonously.

“My father is what?” Vaughn asked as Jack pulled out of the parking lot.

“Your father was recruited by an agency Prophet Five to decipher a book. Then members of his team started to be killed. Irina had apparently been a small contributor to Prophet Five. From what your father has told me, it seems that he made a deal with Irina in exchange for his freedom.”

“Are you going to be telling me what the deal was?” Vaughn asked impatiently.

“Irina had just gotten pregnant. The KGB had found out and wanted her baby. When Bill approached her, she took advantage of his offer. She agreed to fake his death if he gave her his daughter. He faked your sister’s death and gave her to Irina. So Irina took your sister to the KGB and she was treated with Project Christmas. They didn’t find out about what she did until later and that’s when Irina turned her full attention to running Prophet Five.”

“So, my dad is alive and I have a sister who has been working with the KGB.” Vaughn repeated in disbelief.

“Yes, but your sister isn’t working with the KGB. Your father watched her like a hawk after Irina took her. After Irina left and with a little of my help, he infiltrated the KGB and was able to get your sister, Evangeline, out. Since then, they’ve been traveling a lot, staying away from Prophet Five. After we presumed you were dead, they contacted me with information proving otherwise. I’ve been working with them to locate you. We’ve come close so many times, but this was our break. We were finally able to isolate the facility you were being kept in.”

“So when am I going to get to see them?” Vaughn asked.

“We have to see how Prophet Five reacts to this. Irina might start looking for your father again. We don’t know. They’re just going to keep moving around and when the time is right, they’ll get to L.A.” Jack replied. “The only other person who knows about this is Dixon. I felt that it would be best if you told Sydney. They are the only people you can talk with about this.” Jack parked the car and headed toward the private jet.

Vaughn followed closely, his mind spinning with millions of questions.

<O> <O> <O> <O> <O>

Sydney and Dixon led the civilians to the transport plane. While they were boarding, Dixon pulled Sydney aside.

“Syd, Jack and I talked about this and we decided that we need to debrief the children. We know it’s dangerous, but it’s better for them to know the truth now, than find out like you did.”

“It seems that my dad is finally learning from his mistakes.” Sydney replied quietly.

Sydney sat back in the plane with Carter and Isabelle, waiting for her father and Vaughn so they could begin the debriefing.

Her thoughts wandered back to the day she had thought he was gone forever.

Flashback

It had been a simple mission. Just a routine meet. Nothing too dangerous or risky.

But of course, things didn’t go as planned.

Sydney and Vaughn were going to be on point, while Marshall, Jack, and Weiss were backup.

“Well isn’t it a lovely day here?” Sydney asked, clutching onto Vaughn’s arm, playing the part of the perfect tourist wife. They were strolling the garden, which had a perfect view of Taal Volcano.

“Yeah, now if you could just do something about the heat and the bugs, it would be perfect.” Vaughn muttered back.

Sydney laughed. “Oh, come on, it’s not that bad.”

“Well, it is beautiful here.” Vaughn replied sighing.

“Phoenix, Shotgun, your contact should be sitting at the table by the window.” Jack said. He turned to Marshall. “Go thermal.”

Sydney and Vaughn walked into the cool air-conditioned restaurant. They spotted their contact, sitting at the table, sipping a glass for wine.

“Something’s wrong.” Vaughn whispered, pulling Sydney back.

“What is it?” She asked. She hadn’t noticed anything peculiar.

“I juts… I have a feeling…” Suddenly, a small bomb was thrown through the window of the restaurant, killing their contact. “Go!” Vaughn shouted.

Sydney ran toward the door, only to be stopped by a tall, husky guard. She grabbed a nearby tray and struck him on the head. The guard feel back, stunned. As she ran past, he grabbed onto her ankle. She twisted her foot around and stabbed her heal into his arm. The guard immediately let go of her and yelled in pain.

Another bomb went off, filling the building with smoke. She heard her father yelling orders to Marshall and Weiss, but didn’t have time to respond.

As she ran out onto the terrace, she noticed that Vaughn wasn’t with her.

“Shotgun!” She yelled, no response. “Shotgun!” She started to run back toward the restaurant.

“Raptor, what’s going on with Shotgun?” she asked.

“He’s in the west wing.” Weiss replied. “We’re coming.”

Sydney nodded to herself and ran toward the kitchen. She kicked the door open and found Vaughn battling a tall blond agent. Without breaking her run, she grabbed two stray knives on the counter and flung them at the agent, killing him. Vaughn rushed over toward her, grabbed her hand, and ran out toward the extraction point.

Sydney felt Vaughn drop suddenly. She sees the bright red blood oozing from the wound in his chest. She rushed over to him, but before she could reach him, his assailant cut her off.

The woman shot Sydney in the shoulder, causing her to reel backwards, back onto the terrace. Sydney pulled out a knife, hidden in her dress and tossed it at her attacker. The woman dove out of the way, unscratched. Instead, she threw herself at Sydney, knocking her to the ground. Sydney rolled over, trying to push the enemy off or get an advantage.

Suddenly, the red-haired woman lifted her head. She gave Sydney a final punch in the face and ran to the other end of the terrace. Sydney struggled to get up and chased after her. A helicopter surfaced out of its hiding place among the trees. A ladder quickly lowered and the woman climbed up with ease. Sydney found a gun, but she was too far away.

Then she remembered Vaughn. Mentally slapping herself, she ran back toward the restaurant. It was then charred from the fire that’s still raging inside. The screams of the innocent customers echoed as her feet pounded the soft grass.

Without warning, the entire building exploded. Sydney was knocked off her feet. Debris showered down on her and she found it hard to breathe. The enormous amount of smoke didn’t help either. She lifted her head and screamed out his name.

“Shotgun!” her comm no longer worked.

She saw him, near the edge of the mountain, fighting with another agent. He was wounded and he was losing a lot of blood. She looked around for a weapon she could use, but only found a long piece of wood. She ran toward them and tossed the projectile like a javelin. It hit the man in the shoulder, but he didn’t turn his attention to her. Instead, he pushed Vaughn off the edge of the cliff.

“VAUGHN!” She screamed in terror as she watched him plummet to lake below. “Raptor, this is Phoenix. Shotgun was just pushed over the side of the cliff.” She said, trying to control her breathing but failing miserably.

She stumbled toward the edge, her dress ripped, her face dirty and tear-streaked. Her father ran over to her, grabbing her arm.

“Phoenix, we need to get out of here!” he yelled.

“But… Vaughn…” She began only to be cut off by another bomb.

“We can’t worry about him right now. Weiss is trying to find him. We need to get you out.” They ran toward the extraction point as another shower of explosions bombard the property.

They reach the van and waited anxiously for Weiss to return. The minutes ticked by before Weiss responded on his comm.

“Raptor, I’ve got nothing. I could expand my search but…” Weiss trails off. “It’s not likely he’d be able to swim with the wound in his chest. If he was… alive, he would have broken the surface for air by now.

“Houdini, head to the extraction point before more of their agents come.” He turned to Sydney. “There’s nothing we can do. There aren’t enough of us…”

Sydney nodded and silently let the tears fall. She couldn’t believe that in an instant, she lost him. She didn’t want to believe it.

End Flashback

“Sydney, Syd… wake up.” Sydney felt Vaughn shaking her slightly. Her eyes quickly fluttered open.

“Hm…” She yawned, stretching her arms.

“It’s time for the briefing.” Vaughn whispered, helping her to her feet.

She followed him to the secluded compartment at the back of the plane. When they entered, she found Carter, Isabelle, her father, and Dixon waiting for them.

Sydney and Vaughn took their seats and then Dixon began to speak.

“Well, I think all of us knew that this day was going to come eventually.” He turned to the teens. “The information you are about to here is classified. You cannot repeat a single word of it to anyone. If you do, your lives… all of our lives will be put in even more danger than usual. So I guess we’ll start from the beginning.”

Sydney nodded and began to explain. “When I entered college, I was approached by an agency called SD-6. They told me they were a black ops group of the CIA and wanted to recruit me. I joined them and worked for them for 7 years under a man named Arvin Sloane.”

“Then, I got engaged to a man named Danny Hecht. I told him about my life as a spy… but when the head of SD-6 found out, he had him murdered. I went to the only place I could think of, the CIA. That’s when I learned the truth. SD-6 wasn’t a hidden branch of the CIA. I’d been working for the very people I thought I was fighting against. I accepted a double agent role at the real, good CIA where my handler was your father, Michael Vaughn.” She gestured to the man sitting next to her.

“That’s when I found out that your grandfather was also working undercover at SD-6. I learned that your grandmother, Irina Derevko also known as Laura Bristow, hadn’t really died in a car accident, she was a KGB agent that killed William Vaughn, your grandfather, on your father’s side.” Sydney noted the uncomfortable look Vaughn threw at her father.

“We continued to counter all of SD-6’s moves and eventually brought them down. Arvin Sloane got away so we pursued him. 6 months after the downfall of SD-6, Sydney… your mother, was abducted.” Vaughn said. “They had murdered her best friend and sent in a genetic double. Your mother found out and they fought. They both passed out. The Covenant kidnapped her and made it look like she died. They burned her house down and planted fake remains.”

“During the two years I was missing, they tried to brainwash me. But it didn’t work. I pretended to believe that I was Julia Thorne and once they trusted me, I contacted the CIA. They ordered me to stay and double for them. I had my memory erased and finally returned to L.A.” Sydney said, glancing at Vaughn.

Vaughn sighed. “During those 2 years your mother was missing, I… got married to a woman named Lauren Reed. We later found out that she was part of the Covenant. I killed her when she tried to kill your mother.”

“Wow, talk about a divorce.” Carter muttered.

“We also learned that your grandmother had an affair with Arvin Sloane. She had a child named Nadia. We located Nadia and recruited her to the CIA.” Dixon said.

“Anyways, we were just on a normal mission when an enemy agency called Prophet Five ambushed us. I was shot in the chest and pushed over the cliff.” Vaughn said. “The rest of my captivity is a bit of a haze…” he trailed off. Sydney silently put her hand over his and smiled.

“We all thought he was dead. There was no way he could have survived that fall without help.” Sydney said.

“This is all we really have time for right now.” Jack said. Dixon led the children out of the room.

Sydney got up to leave but Jack stopped her. “Sydney, there’s something else you need to know.”

<O> <O> <O> <O> <O>

Back