Back in the Game

julirew

Ensign
Hi, everyone--

I've been an avid SF/Fantasy fan since the 70s. I used to stay on the cutting edge and always knew the Hugo and Nebula nominees well in advance. Then around 2000, I got too busy with work and fell off the slidewalk.

I've recently been catching up, but would appreciate recommendations of what you think is cool. What are the big themes, trends, etc.? I need to do my homework.

I've also started a new SF e-publishing venture, Third Flatiron Publishing. If you're a writer, check us out at Third_Flatiron | Speculative fiction for the discerning reader. We'll be publishing anthologies soon via Smashwords.

As a kid I loved Andre Norton books.

I have always been a fan of Harlan Ellison's short, sharp, shocked style. I loved Cordwainer Smith and J.G. Ballard. Longer books I admired greatly include "Startide Rising," "A Fire Upon the Deep," and "Cryptonomicon." I laughed all through "To Say Nothing of the Dog," and have "Blackout" and "All Clear" on my to-read pile. "Hyperion" made my heart break... I do love my Colorado authors.

I read a few more recent popular titles, like "Spin," "The Sparrow," and "The Years of Rice and Salt." They were okay, but sort of a slog.

Got any recommendations?

Although I'd love for space pirates to be the next big things (for purely selfish reasons), I think the new hot-seller is steampunk...and sadly, I need to (find and) read a few to find out how to pull it off. I understand the concept, just not the execution. Have an idea for one, but sticking with good ol' Aston West for the time being... ;)

Thanks, Aston. I have read one or two steampunk items, one by Cherie Priest, "Dreadnought," which was pretty good. Maybe when I set up the next antho for ThirdFlatiron, it should request a steampunk theme...
--Juli

I also forgot to mention that I've enjoyed the Jack Flanders audio adventures for many years.
They are produced by ZBS Foundation, zbs.org, and their latest series is called
"SteamDreamers of Inverness." I guess they too are getting into the steampunk genre.

Back