Reality TV BattleBots

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Title: BattleBots

Genre: Reality

First aired: 2015-06-21

Cast: Chris Rose, Kenny Florian, Faruq Tauheed, Derek Young, Lisa Winter, Jason Bardis

Overview: BattleBots promises to wow viewers with next generation robots—bigger, faster and stronger than ever before. The show will focus on the design and build of each robot, the bot builder backstories, their intense pursuit of the championship and the spectacle of the event.
BattleBots

Here is something unexpected: ABC is going to resurrect the BattleBots TV series! Yes! :cool:

Via Deadline:

The battling robots are back! Twelve years after BattleBots ended its run on Comedy Central, ABC has picked up a reimagined take of the killer robot combat sport, from Whalerock Industries and the creators of the original BattleBots franchise, Ed Roski and Greg Munson. Former ABC topper Lloyd Braun executive produces the project, which has received a six-episode order to air this summer.

Like the original, the new series will feature homemade robots battling against each other in a single elimination tournament style format, until there is one champion. Of course, it will bring the franchise to 2015 with next generation robots – bigger, faster and stronger. The show also will have a greater emphasis on the design and build elements of each robot, the bot builder backstories, their intense pursuit of the championship and the spectacle of the event. There will be cash prizes for winners in the Championship Rounds.

Separate weight classes will be eliminated so that robots of all sizes will battle against each other. (In the original BattleBots tournaments, robots were divided into four categories: Lightweight – 60 pounds; Middleweight – 120 pounds; Heavyweight – 220 pounds and Superheavyweight – 340 pounds)

The BattleBots company launched robot competitions in 1999. That led to five semi-annual BattleBots tournaments, which were televised as a primetime series on Comedy Central. It premiered on 2000 and ran for five seasons.​

OK this is not science fiction - But you sci-fi fans might really like it - especially if you like sci-fi movies with robots and movies like the Transformer series.

BattleBots has to be one of the most interesting TV contests they have come up with yet - Episode 2 will be on 9PM on ABC television tonight {Sunday June 28}. If you like robots in sci-fi and the Transfomer movies you will like this - Should also be of interest to real science of robotics fans. In the show contestants use robots they invented and made to fight the opponents robot to termination or if there is no termination the judges decide the winner. GREAT SHOW!

BattleBots has to be one of the most interesting TV contests they have come up with yet
I liked the first episode last week and will be watching it again tonight. I don't recall there being corkscrews in the arena so I'm not sure if that is new twist or if they were were before and I just don't remember.

Some of the bots were just completely destroyed! :eek: Controlled mayhem is always fun to watch. :D

I liked the first episode last week and will be watching it again tonight. I don't recall there being corkscrews in the arena so I'm not sure if that is new twist or if they were were before and I just don't remember.

Some of the bots were just completely destroyed! :eek: Controlled mayhem is always fun to watch. :D
There might be some mayhem - But I think you're seeing the militarys of the future - Wars might end up becoming totally mechanized - no more Human causalities - But countries will have to agree to abide by the outcome - Those countries which create the best war-machines will dominate !

ABC has ordered a second season of BattleBots. Season 1 had an average of 5.4 million viewers per episode and was ranked #1 in it's time slot for the key demographic of adults 18-49.

The second season again will see robots waging battle in a single-elimination tournament until a champion is crowned. Next season, the tournament will double in size and feature an expanded field to include expert roboticists, garage builders, families on a mission and past winners returning to defend their turf, ABC says.

BattleBots is moving to yet another new home.... ‘BattleBots’ Revival Gets May Premiere Dates On Discovery & Science Channel – Watch A Sneak Peek

Discovery and Science Channel are set for some heavy metal thunder next month. The revived BattleBots series is set to premiere at 8 PM May 11 on Discovery and 9 PM May 16 on its cable sib.

RelatedExplorer Ed Stafford Blazes 4K Trail With Discovery On Competition Format 'First Man Out'
Chris Rose and Kenny Florian return to call all the destructive action, while Jessica Chobot serves as the sideline reporter. Faruq Tauheed is back as the ring announcer.

Here’s the logline: The metal-munching mayhem is back, from the bots to the builders, the flames, the spark and all the robot guts and glory. Each match consists of two robots competing in a single, three-minute bout in which the goal is to destroy or disable their opponent. If there is no knockout during the battle, a panel of judges will declare a victor. Some of the returning favorites this season include Tombstone, Minotaur, Chomp, Witch Doctor, Bronco, Bombshell, Bite Force, Yeti and more.

BattleBots originally aired on Comedy Central in 2000-02, then was revived on ABC for two seasons in 2015-16. Science Channel aired encores of the two ABC seasons last summer.

LOL...
Drone Deathrace
Drone Wars
Drone Derby
Drone Death Challenge
Drone Build-Off
Drone Tug-A-War

There was an RC Car and Drone park in a small town when I lived in Missouri.
There was an obstacle track for the cars and obstacle structures for the drones to fly thru.
Spent hours watching people 'play'.
Ramp up the action and record the video and you have a BattleBots in the Sky.

Those are so cool! How about full sized Cylons battling other robots, now that would truly rock!
Cylon.jpg

Back