Battlefield Earth

I may have to pick up a copy for my winter reading. Usually in the colder months I switch to horror (Koontz & King most often) but I think I need a change of pace this winter. I know that I want to go back and re-read some of the older classics by Asimov and Clarke that I haven't read in years but some new material may be good also.

i read the book many years ago. actually, i started it when i checked it out of a library, but couldn't finish it before it was completed. sure, i could have checked it out again, but felt intimidated. i read the whole 'mission earth' collection before i ever got back to battlefield earth.

omegadrax said:
i read the book many years ago. actually, i started it when i checked it out of a library, but couldn't finish it before it was completed. sure, i could have checked it out again, but felt intimidated. i read the whole 'mission earth' collection before i ever got back to battlefield earth.
Was it the sheer size of the novels or the content that intimidated you? I have yet to read any of Hubbard's stuff yet.... I can handle really long novels but I hate when half-way through a really long novel I realize that the content isn't holding my attention. :(

i would say it is the size of the novel. at the time i first picked it up, i wasn't used to novel going more than 500 pages. perrhaps i just needed to steel my concentration and attention span. now, i have no problem with larger books.

I read a few years back. It was not too bad, but it realy gets slow in the middle. I mean ssssllllloooooowwwwwww. I set it aside for a few monthes before wading back in to finish it. The begining, and the end are quite good but L.R. gets a bit long winded in the center. Perhapse he was working out for his whole Dianetics thing. :(

this book is just one waste of paper, it contains so much waffle and unnecessary writing that after reading it you can think of many ways you could have spent your time better, like cleaning your place out, doing the dishes, etc, etc.

definitely fiction, not sure about the science stuff really, most not based on fact or even creditable science fiction fact!

Back