Sci-Fi Battleship (2012)

This happens all the time to them. It's all great publicity. I didn't even know they made the movie before this article. Makes you wonder how they were "publicizing" it.

And whilst you may not have heard of this film, think how many people haven't heard of Asylum and now will!

Face it, big film is on at he cinema, there's a history of mixed reviews and in a recession a group of friends decide not to spend their weeks spare money going to the cinema but buy a DVD and snacks and get together at home to have their own little Mystery Science Theatre 3000 session, thinking, "just how much worse can the 'copy' be?"

Update...apparently Asylum has pulled their promo page down.
But they left ABRAHAM LINCOLN VS. ZOMBIES. LOL
I already have their Nazis At The Center of The Earth release saved on Netflix for when it becomes available. I love B movies. :D

Nazi's at the Centre of the Earth is dire!!!! It has virtually no redeeming features.

The Abraham Lincoln film, the big budget one, I thought was a B movie, so Asylum copying a B movie seems a good chance to flip everything on its head :smiley:

Nazi's at the Centre of the Earth is dire!!!! It has virtually no redeeming features.
... and that is what makes it a great B-movie. :D Apparently you haven't seen movies like Zombie Lake.

The Abraham Lincoln film, the big budget one, I thought was a B movie, so Asylum copying a B movie seems a good chance to flip everything on its head :smiley:
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter the movie is actually based on the comic series which had a pretty good following. With the current zombie & vampire craze out there I am not totally surprised to see it optioned as a movie, especially after works like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies sort of hit the mainstream.

The page on Asylum's website for their mockbuster version is down whilst the lawsuit is ongoing.

Odd that the last time they were sued like this was for The Day The Earth Stopped and we all know how bad that film was. If the talk about Battleship is true, it may need all the free press it can get to sell tickets when it opens on US soil.

The Avengers has just knocked it off the top slot here in the UK and we've got Men In Black 3 coming along in 2 weeks.

EDIT: You can follow Asylum on Twitter here: @theasylumcc

Asylum has had to change the title of their film, but doesn't appear to have suffered any further ill effects:

American Warships

Movies

Now, the third trailer for Battleships is interesting. Most of the action in it is not at sea. This changes the whole way I've looked at the film till now:

Definitely worth a look now, I wasn't too interested at first, but this trailer has me second guessing that. Good one! Thanks!

I will probably watch Battleship at some point, but I am far more interested in The Avengers. To be honest, the TV commercial trailers for this movie, really makes me think of Independence Day. Yes, I know, Independence Day was not exactly an original concept either, but it was one heck of an entertaining scifi movie! I guess what I am trying to say is that I hope Battleship is not all special effects with little else going for it. A lot movies released these days borrow concepts/plot points from other stories and I can live with that if the movie is done well and is not just a pale imitation.

Some concept art from George Hull is online. Check out the ships.
Hull_Battleship3_GeoShipADJ2012_gh.jpg

Film Sketchr

The concept art looks outstanding. Watched the trailer for Battleship, when waiting for The Avengers. Just not sure about it. Hope it gets good reviews, because if it is believed to be a bomb by the critics, I may have a hard time convincing myself to watch it.

i watched the movie yesterday (finally) but i must say that i am quite disappointed. the special effects were of course great, but it was a bit too weak storywise.

I finally got round to watching it. The beginning of the movie wasn't all that good, but once the action started it got a lot better, and perhaps, if only for a few interesting developments in the storyline and the oppressive strength of the aliens the film continued to hold attention from them. I finished the film happy overall.