Superheroes Batwoman (2019)

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Title: Batwoman

Genre: Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Action & Adventure

First aired: 2019-10-06

Creator: Caroline Dries

Cast: Javicia Leslie, Rachel Skarsten, Meagan Tandy, Nicole Kang, Camrus Johnson, Victoria Cartagena, Nick Creegan, Robin Givens

Overview: Kate Kane, armed with a passion for social justice and a flair for speaking her mind, soars onto the streets of Gotham as Batwoman, an out lesbian and highly trained street fighter primed to snuff out the failing city's criminal resurgence. But don't call her a hero yet. In a city desperate for a savior, Kate must overcome her own demons before embracing the call to be Gotham's symbol of hope
Batwoman (2019)

Well, this is a bit of a surprise. Actress/model Ruby Rose will be leaving CW's Batwoman after just one season. She was originally cast in the character during the 2018 CW 'cross-over' episodes and was later given her own show as the title character. The show has been a bit divisive among 'Bat' fans and while Rose released an announcement saying that it was her choice to leave the show it wouldn't be surprising if it wasn't a "mutual" decision. The role will be recast for S2 which is bit of good news/bad news in that if you like the show it means there's a S2 but it won't be the same.

Personally I'm a bit neutral about it. The premise was good and having Batman and the 'Bat family' officially in the CW Arrowverse opened the door for a lot of possibilities story wise but... the entire first season of Batwoman was one drawn-out slow burn of a story about Alice. The show could have just easily have been called "Alice in Wonderland" with Batwoman as a recurring character and it would've been the same watching it. Most episodes had nothing to do with "Batwoman" and, if the violence was drawn back, could've been a Lifetime channel show about a woman with a tragic background whose mental instability is permanently damaged when she realizes that reconciliation with her extremely dysfunctional family is impossible. If S2 happens it'll be interesting if nothing else to see what direction the show takes with a reboot.

I watched a few episodes and gave up.
tired of hollywood fantasies about women physically fighting men on equal terms.
and as mentioned the plot was a mess.

Well, this is a bit of a surprise. Actress/model Ruby Rose will be leaving CW's Batwoman after just one season. She was originally cast in the character during the 2018 CW 'cross-over' episodes and was later given her own show as the title character. The show has been a bit divisive among 'Bat' fans and while Rose released an announcement saying that it was her choice to leave the show it wouldn't be surprising if it wasn't a "mutual" decision. The role will be recast for S2 which is bit of good news/bad news in that if you like the show it means there's a S2 but it won't be the same.

Personally I'm a bit neutral about it. The premise was good and having Batman and the 'Bat family' officially in the CW Arrowverse opened the door for a lot of possibilities story wise but... the entire first season of Batwoman was one drawn-out slow burn of a story about Alice. The show could have just easily have been called "Alice in Wonderland" with Batwoman as a recurring character and it would've been the same watching it. Most episodes had nothing to do with "Batwoman" and, if the violence was drawn back, could've been a Lifetime channel show about a woman with a tragic background whose mental instability is permanently damaged when she realizes that reconciliation with her extremely dysfunctional family is impossible. If S2 happens it'll be interesting if nothing else to see what direction the show takes with a reboot.

Wasn't she on NBC's "Passions" several years back ?

Wasn't she on NBC's "Passions" several years back ?
Not sure about that one, it wasn't a show I watched. I kind of remember the name of it being a show but not any details about it.

and as mentioned the plot was a mess.
It just got worse as the season went on and by the end the story line with Alice still wasn't wrapped up and was used to setup a S2. I'm pretty sure that if I didn't have it being recorded on the DVR and was something I'd have playing while working remotely from home that it would not have been a show that I would have made an effort to watch. That was of course before the announcement about Rose dropping out so hopefully the S2 reboot completely drops the Alice bit and returns the show to be more of a "Bat" property.

Not surprisingly this show never made it to Oz, though to be honest it took a couple of seasons of The Walking Dead before some muppet decided there might be a market there.