Be Still My Heart

aww that was great!
i am glad that Syd found out the truth rather than just wondering and worrying about where Vaughn was and why he hadnt contacted her now she was back!

Sydney found comfort running her hands through his soft dark blonde hair. Thoughts and doubts overtook her. She knew what just happened was wrong, and she swore to herself never to let it happen again.

Finally, it all became too much, and Sydney allowed herself to drift to sleep with Vaughn by her side.
i really hope that Syd is there when he wakes up and he is sober enough to realise that it is actaully her not her ghost! :smiley: then hopefully he will stop drinking and they will be able to lead the life they always wanted!

that was a great update and i cant wait to read more!
thanks for the PM
update soon :P

Okay, Okay, I know I said I'd update today, but I just got called into work, so MAYBE tonight after work.

If not, it'll be tomorrow after my Trig exam (I'll be home by 11).

So that's where you are *whines incessantly*

I needed you to help me with my Math Midterm review!
DAMNIT! I'm missing MATH review! felgercarb! :( This makes me even sadder. Save some of the fun for me tomorrow. I. Will. Be. On.

:D Enough of me being a dork, here's the chap!! :smiley:

Hope you enjoy, and thanks for reading!!!

ETA: Louise, clean out your inbox. Your PM wouldn't send!

[3/3]

The first thing Vaughn noticed the next morning was the overwhelming churning in his stomach. Pushing himself out of bed, he stumbled to the bathroom and emptied the contents of his stomach.

After a glass of water, he finally was stable enough to journey back to his bedroom. Vaughn hoped that Jack hadn’t found the bottle of beer he had stashed under the bed the day before.

When he walked into his bedroom, all thoughts of Jack, his pounding headache, and beer left his head, when he saw the brunette head resting on his pillow.

He had to lean against the wall for support, as the previous night’s hallucination came back to him. Vaughn’s body shuddered, his mind going crazy, when he realized that it hadn’t been a hallucination.

Sydney was there... right in front of him.

Vaughn couldn’t believe his eyes, as he took a shaky step towards her. At first, he was afraid to touch her, and just watched her. Soon, he got the courage, and reached an unstable hand towards her.

Sydney instantly jolted awake at his touch.

For the first real time in over two years, he was greeted with those big, beautiful chocolate brown eyes.

Neither said anything for a long moment, just staring at each other. This moment seem surreal. “Sydney...” He finally gasped.

“Michael...” she said his name reverently.

He slowly back away, away from her. “How?” he asked, completely confused. She was dead.

Sydney shook her head, “I don’t know.. I don’t remember the last two years... I showed up in Hong Kong almost two months ago...”

Vaughn took a shuttering breath, “Two months.” He repeated, starting to realize how much he missed by drowning his sorrow in a bottle. The sudden realization that Sydney had seen him like that dawned upon him. “I never wanted you to see my like that.” He whispered, embarrassment in his voice, as he disappeared into the bathroom.

Sydney sighed loudly, burying her head into his pillow. This certainly wasn’t how she had imagined this day going. After her mistake last night, she planned on slipping out in the early hours of the morning, but Sydney couldn’t pull away from him, something on the inside stopped her from leaving.

With him in the bathroom, Sydney slipped on her wrinkled jogging clothes from the night before. Sitting on his bed patiently, she waited for him to emerge from the bathroom.

“You’re still here.” He stated when he finally came out. Sydney nodded gently, meeting his eyes, surprised by the hurt that still resided there. “You saw me like that, and you didn’t run away.” He seemed marveled at that concept.

Sydney nodded once more, standing up and approaching him. Reaching out, she cupped his cheek, “Love does funny things to you.” She whispered.

Vaughn looked up at her, before his eyes were glaring into the floor. “Yeah, I know.” He said back, just as quietly.

After a long moment, Vaughn finally asked, “Are you going to stay... in my life?” he added bashfully.

Sydney nodded, looking at him as if he was crazy. “Michael, I couldn’t leave you, even if I wanted to.”

Vaughn bobbed his head up and down once, “Syd, I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but... as long as you’re here... I’m going to change. I’m going to make up for being like... that for so long.” He said quietly. It was a promise to her and to himself. He was going to do everything he could to be the man she fell in love with again.

Sydney nodded, knowing she would be there every step of the way, doing what ever he needed her to.

Things were far from easy. It took a long time for Vaughn to recover, but Sydney was there every step of the way.

She held him as he shook from withdrawals or rubbed his back as he threw up the contents of his stomach. In turn, Vaughn held Sydney when she would awake in the middle of the night in a cold sweat from a nightmare.

Things got harder before the got better, and for a while no one thought that Sydney and Vaughn would make it out alive, but they did and emerged closer and stronger than before.

Sydney still worked as an analyst within the CIA, while Vaughn remained unemployed while he battled his demons. He had to meet with Dr. Barnet regularly, but he knew there was no way he would go back to the point he was.

It had a little over a year, since Vaughn found out that Sydney was alive and made his promise to sober up. He proudly told everyone that he had been clean since that day.

Sydney couldn’t help but smile as she thought about the strong, resilient man she loved.

Sydney let herself into the apartment they shared. She was surprised to see her dad and Vaughn sharing a cup of coffee at the small kitchen table.

“Daddy?” she questioned, giving him a hug.

“I was just leaving,” he said, kissing Sydney’s cheek and shaking Vaughn’s hand before walking out of their apartment.

Sydney’s brow furrowed as she looked at Vaughn’s smiling face to the door where her father just left, “What was that all about?”

“The CIA wants me back.” Vaughn said, still in shock. After all that had happened, he had never imagined that he could have a place in the CIA again. He thought he had forever ruined his chances.

Sydney smiled at his excitement, “That’s wonderful.” Sydney took a seat next to him, taking his hand into hers.

“We can work together everyday again.” Vaughn grinned, knowing that was what he was looking forward to the most.

“Actually...” Sydney began, a smile forming on her lips, “I think I’m going to quit the CIA.”

“Since when?” Vaughn asked, shocked. It wasn’t perfect, but Sydney enjoyed her job with the Agency.

Sydney’s smile grew, “Since this morning.”

“Oh,” Vaughn’s brow furrowed. “What happened this morning?” he asked, not recalling anything important happening.

“Well, Kendall said that since I haven’t had a physical in over a year... I needed to have one..” Sydney paused moving their entwined hands to her flat stomach, “The doctor said... we’re having a baby.” She revealed, her smile lighting up the whole room.

“Really?” Vaughn gasped, in shock. Sydney nodded tearfully. He grinned, pulling her into a tight hug, kissing the side of her head. “This is perfect,” he whispered into her ear.

“So you’re happy?” Sydney asked, pulling back to look in his eyes.

He nodded vigorously, “Very.” He grinned. Everything they had been through only made this moment more enjoyable.

The pain and suffering only bought them immeasurable joy in the end.

Sydney and Vaughn had discussed it once, and neither would have changed the trials and pain they went through, because it made them into who they were today, with each other, closer than ever before, now with a baby on the way.

[Fin]

^_^ ;)

:hug:

That was amazing! I am so glad that she was still there in the morning and that they found their way back to each other! And they're having a baby! How cute! I loved this fic! You wrote it perfectly!

Megan

that was soooo sweet
they are having a baby
and vaughn got his job back :D
i am going to have a smile on my face for the rest of the day
thanks for the pm

That was a great ending. I'm glad that everything turned out for the better for Sydney and Vaughn.

Baby!!! :smiley:

Thanks for a great story.

Awww...That was so cute!!! I'm so glad that Vaughn was able to get sober. And they're going to have a baby!!!! Wonderful, wonderful job!!!!

~Karen

That was great ... aww its over ... love it ... aww yah Vaughn stayed sober ... yah Vaughn got his job at the CIA back ... baby on the way soo exiciting ... thanks for the PM

I'm so glad she stayed the rest of the night so Vaughn was able to see that she wasn't a hallucination.

They were there for each other.

The CIA wants Vaughn back and Sydney wants to quit.
But, her reason for quiting is good. They are having a baby.
They should also get married soon.

Thanks for the sweet story.

AWWWW... That was a great ending, everything worked out in the end, I was hoping that she didn't leave during the night!!! Awesome story, keep it up!! (y) :D

Back