Beautiful Arizona

frostydf2

Cadet
I just wanted to post some pictures of the last few days I was in Phoenix. I can't believe how beautiful the weather is there. You actually get pissed off of having so many good, and sunny days. Here they are though, the first one is a field of jumping cactus's.
field_of_cactus_2.JPG

I was throwing a rock at a jumping cactus in this one.
throw_rock_at_jumping_cactus.JPG

Beautiful scenery. Phoenix is about 50 miles behind me.
looking_out.JPG

150ft rap jump.
150_ft.JPG

I've had the pleasure of being in AZ three times now. Some truely wonderful places there- I've hit all kinds of national parks and monuments. I'm also a hot-dry weather person so that helps my opinion of it greatly.

Jumping cactus? Why do they call it that?? Yes, I do agree, the colder weather is MUCH better. I am loving it right now. Sipping my Starbucks and wearing sweaters... oh what a grand old time I'm having. Come back, Matty! I promise to be nicer.

Awww geez, Matty. What did you do?? Was it anything you talked about planning on doing when you got back to Indiana? Was it stuff that Kristen would do?

Cutey Honey said:
Awww geez, Matty. What did you do?? Was it anything you talked about planning on doing when you got back to Indiana? Was it stuff that Kristen would do?

Who is this Kristen? and what would she do?

Good pic's Matt, careful admitting to throwing rocks at Cacti ;) Get caught, and just damaging a Saguaro Cactus can have you seeing a fine in the hundreds of dollars ;)

Did you happen to go up to South Mountain ? I made a panoramic pic of the scenery overlooking Phoenix... not bad for a non-panoramic digital camera without a tripod stand ...

Have scenery, must travel!

~ Jar

Cutey Honey said:
Jumping cactus? Why do they call it that?? Yes, I do agree, the colder weather is MUCH better. I am loving it right now. Sipping my Starbucks and wearing sweaters... oh what a grand old time I'm having. Come back, Matty! I promise to be nicer.

Jumping Cacti are the small "furry" lookin' "Cholla" Cacti. Their buds are said to "jump" on you if you get close to them. It really does not jump but it is very easilly attached to you if you lightly brush against it. It is best stayed away from, and if you get stuck by thier needles, they'll swell in your skin... and it's best to carry pliers to rip them out before it gets too painful.

;)

~ Jar

Ah camping in the desert! The cacti! The scorpions! The sweltering heat and cold nights! The dry soil/sand getting in everything. It's been far too long since my last camping trip in the southwest, I really miss it.

I love the desert, the hot days and cool nights. Of course, it doesn't drop too cold in Phoenix. Being in the middle of the valley with all that blacktop helps keep the heat in... of course, in winter, it holds in all the pollution too.

I love being surrounded by the mountains. South Mountain is a neat place to hike, bike, horse ride and drive to the top... Phoenix Mountains are a great place to hike and exercise just before work in the morning. Etc, etc :smiley: There is definitely a lot to see in Arizona too. Grand Canyon, Sedona & its Red Rock Canyon, Montezuma's Well, Montezuma's Castle, Painted Desert, Petrified Forest, Joshua Tree Forest, Old Tucson, etc etc.

Out of that list I've been to Grand Canyon, the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest. I've never been further south than Flagstaff (beautiful city by the way... just god-awful street layout). That's because I've been through Utah far more extensively and have really only dipped down into AZ a few times.

My favorite desert location is Arches National Park. The La Sal Mountains visible to one side, Canyonlands National Park visible to the other, and gorgeous sandstone fins and arches in between.

By the way, check out my SheezyArt site for a sampling of southwest photography and various other works of art of mine.

http://gate.andara.sheezyart.com

Back