Becoming a Lady

During luncheon, I make arrangements for my precious letter to be delivered. I can only wonder how Hans is doing every moment or other; I cannot see him. But I do hope for the moment when we are once again embracing by the Lake, where we last met.

When I arrive home, I find the house in an uproar. The servants flee from room to room, as if trying not to be noticed by anyone. Quite confused, I go to my room to change into my evening gown. When I emerge, the house is this time deathly quiet. I can however, hear one sound, and that is of shouting in Father’s parlor downstairs. So I quietly muster all my skill of being invisible, and descend the stairs.

The shouting grows louder as I near the doorway. Alas, the door is open so I can’t listen at the keyhole. Though when I am right next to the room, I gather from a few glances that the room has at least ten people inside it. Cautiously, I edge into the doorway to listen and watch. Perhaps nobody will care if I’m present.

I am now in full view of the room. I can see Father in the center of the room, as well as a man that looks horribly familiar. Off to the side, in the arm chairs, are Daria and John, both very white-faced. Several servants and the familiar man’s coachmen are present as well. As I take a closer look at the man, I gasp with the horrible familiarity. It’s Noel. Thankfully nobody hears my gasp, and I press myself against the frame of the doorway. What does he want? It must be some kind of trouble because he and Father are yelling about something.

“I assure you, good sire,” Noel is exclaiming, “I come bearing all good will! Only sad tidings and a pressing question that I must ask!”

“How dare you come to my house with such an agenda?” Father roars. “I will not hear of it under my roof!”

“Regrets, regrets!” Noel cries, looking nervously distressed.

“Keep your regrets to thyself, man!”

“Please sir!”

“ARG. What?”

“I need only tell you the sad news.”

“Very well then. Speak on.”

Noel sighs and collapses into an armchair, wearing his full suit. Father looks very disgruntled, but holds his peace. Noel proclaims, “As of evening past, my good father Master Don is past into the shadow of death.” The room became deathly quiet.

Father broke the silence. “How came this event to pass?”

“We do not know for sure. But there was poison involved.”

I’m thinking at this very moment: hemlock. You foul beast. Freak. Go away before I speak up!

Father continues, “Do you have a culprit? Or- are you here to accuse any of my household of that crime? You tell me you are here with an accusation, but fail to present any charge or evidence?”

“Alack, no culprit has been captured, but I do believe he… or she-“ he pause and his eyes flit my way; my heart skips a beat and I step farther into the shadows of the adjoining room- “may be in this house. Not to be rude or to affront you, but it is possible, as in any other house.” Father’s breathing slows a bit.

“So what do you ask?”

“Only-“ Noel sends a glance my way- “that you question your staff and family.” As he says this, I can guess that things will get ugly if I stick around and he accuses me and shows me to my father. I would rather him raping me than my father hearing him say such a thing. So I back quietly away, and as soon as I near the door, I slip out into the street and trip over a cobblestone of that little street lined with thick-walled houses.

And the next thing I know, I’m running away from that house. I run down the street and down the hill and to the Lake, which is no longer shrouded in mist. But as I pass the Lake, I turn away from the Lake and the road and run up into the hills, all covered in heather and greens of sums I can’t image. But being in my evening gown and fancy slippers, I can’t run too far. So after some time, I collapse into the purple fragrant heather around me. After inhaling the pure scent for several seconds, I faint.

aw! she fainted?!!! sooo what's gonna happen? great chapter!
--Mandy :angelic:

Just relax you still have your readers, it might take them awhile since the site have been down for the last couple of days. ;)

I wake up, but for some reason the glorious scent of heather is not floating around. Slowly, I open one eye just a fraction of a fraction of the way, and I see I’m in a bed. A nice bed. An extremely expensive and comfortable bed. And these pillows and blankets and… up above my head a lace canopy. Over on the window are silk curtains. Not that I haven’t been exposed to these things, but Father saves them for my dowry.

I’m alone as far as I can tell. No sound. But a nice clean smell with some scent of poppies coming from the vase on the bureau across the room. I must be in heaven. This is not my room. But ah, I want to stay here forever. Relaxing. Then I remember why I’m here at all, wherever that is. It’s because of Noel and hemlock… and various other things. But all of these seem to be hovering only in the very back of my mind. A vague idea comes to me that maybe I died in that field, but I don’t know why that would be.

Now, I open both eyes and look around without moving. The walls are beautifully decorated, and the ceiling is flawless. Having seen all there is to see from the view of a confused girl lying down, I change positions to a confused girl sitting up. Or a confused woman. Anyways, from sitting I can see a very luxuriously soft-looking rug on the floor beneath this one of a kind special bed. I notice that the bed is big enough for three of me, though only one third of the space is being used.

Suddenly, I realize I am not in heaven. The window, though shut, reveals a horribly familiar terrace and wonderfully familiar gardens. Either heaven is indeed a replica of earth, or that I am somewhere in Master Don’s house. His second mansion. The one that I had lunch at so very recently. Oh, the horror I am feeling now. Did Noel find me? Did he come right out and accuse me? Is this the end of my dignity? Will Father disown me? Where will I go? Who will I be with? Will I ever see Hans again? HOW DID I GET OUT OF THAT FIELD?

And now I hear a knock at the door. Dreading what or who it means, I glance around for a place to hide. They must know I’m awake. Or they want to wake me. I look down at myself. Somebody, a maid most likely, removed my evening gown and put me in a white sleeping gown made of fine material. I wonder how long I’ve been here. Is Master Don dead?

But I can’t delay so I say exsasperately, “Come in!” and pull the bed clothes up to my chin, in case it is a man. To my relief, it is not a man or any male of any species. Instead, it is a poor pale-faced maid of about fourteen years. Immediately I stop feeling sorry for myself.

She was probably the one who dressed me, as she has a key to my room. Why are they keeping my room locked? Is it because I was accused? But I doubt this girl would know in any case so I just stare at her, waiting for her to state her business. I let the bed clothes leave my hands. There is no need of modesty.

“Miss,” the girl says softly. She’s probably been a servant girl all her life.

“Yes… um… what is your name?” I ask uncertainly. I am not used to being waited on by a stranger.

“Lorna,” she says. I nod. “My master has requested you to put on this gown and attend dinner with him.” She takes as if out of the air a beautiful dress, more amazing than any of the ones I’ve ever worn or seen, possibly with the exception of that fatal luncheon I attended shortly before this day. It must be made of the finest silk on the outer layer, a majestic royal violet, long and smooth. Not a crease shows from the perfect dress. And I can see on the floor behind Lorna a high quality corset, as well as satin slippers. But I’m not quite sure what to say.

“Tell me, Lorna,” I begin carefully as I get out of bed to be undressed. Thankfully the door is closed. “Who is currently the master of this household?” Lorna doesn’t look mortified or even concerned as to my comment. All she does is puts my arms out and begins to unbutton my sleeping gown.

“Hard to keep track at the moment, miss,” Lorna says as she undresses me. When it’s off, she says, “I believe that Sir Noel is the lord of the house.” I feel cold inside. What happened to Hans? Is he dead? Carefully, I ask another question.

“What of… Hans, the first son of Master Don?”

Lorna has me step into an underskirt and begins to pull the corset into place, adjusting and pulling harder and harder. “He hasn’t been seen for a day,” is all Lorna says. Now I am worried beyond belief. There is no doubt that Master Don is dead. In fact, he is most likely already in his burial casket.

Now the corset is on and I’m trying hard to breathe easily. Strange… it’s not as hard as it used to be.

As I begin to step into the amazing gown, another realization strikes me. I am dining with Noel, Master Noel if Hans doesn’t turn up. What does he want of me? Will he accuse me or let me pass? Why is he pampering me? My mind is so full of questions that I feel I will burst.

But some little voice tells me gather all of the manners and etiquette you know and use it! So I keep that in mind. That annoying little voice is dangerously correct. If I offend Master Noel in any way… the consequences could be disastrous. For me, and Hans if he is still alive.

Ohhh suspense! sorry that i haven't reviewed! school and real life is really catching up with me. It was really great. and...

Congrats on winning.

Topic now pinned.

yay u won congrats this is a great story and I've loved it since i began reading sorry I haven't reviewed it before but its fantastic

As I enter the private dining hall, I am aware of the way I must look. I am aware because that rat of a man Noel is staring right at my chest. My dress matches his black suit and if I had been an onlooker, I would have thought us married. Anyway, with no time to speculate, I curtsey deeply and say in a gracious voice, “Master Noel. It is most kind of you to offer my hospitality in my time of need.” This seems to please him, so I decide to keep this face for the rest of the evening.

“My beautiful Elena,” he says with roving eyes, “please join me.” The table is long and round, but only set for two. I hear a light thump outside the door. Somebody must be standing guard. I seat myself like a woman and arrange my glorious skirts. Had I not the hatred for Noel and what he had done, I’d say I could get used to this life. And then my thoughts drift to Hans… but I shake it off. My attention needs to be right here right now.

“Your estate is in fine condition,” I say presently. Noel smiles maliciously.

“Oh yes,” he says, enjoying the situation. “My father’s death is most grevious. And that of my dear brother, Hans.” I wished I could forget all that I know about being a lady and jump up to scream at him, but I don’t allow the slightest flicker of emotion to cross my face.

“Most sad news,” I say, bowing my head. Noel smiles at me.

“Let us speak of more pleasant things,” he says.

“Oh, do let’s.”

“As in the upcoming marriage.”

And of course I remember Daria and John and all the love that they share. They can be content with that. I need something more than beauty and lust. So I reply, “Oh yes, it is true. My dear sister and the noble John make an enjoyable couple. Surely she will ask me to be her bridesmaid.” This talk doesn’t interest me, but it buys me time to think of my next move. But Noel shakes his head. Cautious again, I tip my head to one side and flash a puzzled smile.

Noel drains his glass of wine then says, “Not that marriage. The other upcoming marriage is the one of which I speak.” I tip my head sedately to the other side.

“I haven’t received an invitation to any such wedding, my good sir. Perhaps I am not meant to attend?”

“Surely you are meant to attend, for it is thine own wedding.” Noel smiles even wider at me. I notice his hands twitching. Such a fidgety! Since when am I engaged at all?

“Please, sir,” I begin carefully. “When was this arrangement made? And with whom?”

“Surely the maid told you. It is to be yours and mine.” He starts to stand up, then sits back down, as if he has changed his mind. I can’t even move. So this is his vile plot! To force me into marriage to save his own skin! I see it all now. The one thing I don’t see is a way out. I will have to think of something.

“My lord, this is quite sudden.” I am out of breath. He stands up and doesn’t hesitate. It is only him and me in the room. The doors are my only exit, though I can tell that both the one I entered from and the one on the far side of the room are guarded. I decide to remain seated. My mind is racing.

“Sudden, yes,” Noel admits. “But it is quite necessary.” I am not sure how to react. I play dumb, because I honestly don’t know why my father agreed to this step.

“Wherefore was this decided?” I ask with little patience. Noel approaches me. A little wine is stained on his collar. He has drunk much.

“I received a certain letter, addressed to my brother.”

At first, I don’t get what he is implying. Then the realization hits me like a lightning bolt, as if to cut through my chest. Noel has my letter! The love note I wrote only a day or two ago… But I can’t be sure it was only that long. How long did I sleep? No matter. Noel knows that I have Hans’s heart and knowledge of the deed involving hemlock. He will not rest until I am put away or tucked safely inside his own home, imprisoned but seemingly in a wonderland. If Hans is dead, which very well might be so, I will have to marry Noel to save my life. I can see it now! My entire possible future flashes before my eyes in a heartbeat. Me, living in a false paradise, constantly under guard. Me, forced to bear Noel’s children and raise them. Me, dying and being buried next to my lord’s grave. Our children, inheriting what should have belonged to my beloved Hans.

It seems I waited a moment to long. But Noel knows what has gone through my head. He is smarter than I know. He says in a half whisper, “Yes. This is the end of all that you have ever wanted. From now on, you belong to me.” Then he began to laugh, a horrid laugh, something I should try and stop. But instead, I am frozen in my seat.

Noel raises me up from my chair. His hands are greasy. I shudder inwardly. “Come, love, what is this?” Noel says, mocking me. I can feel myself bound to him for eternity. I must not give in. I must strike out!

So I speak. I say, “If-f-f y-you are s-sure ab-bout this… I consent.” Suddenly, all of the fight I have leaks from my body. I am helpless.

Noel has this greedily pleased look in his eyes. Satisfied that I have given up, he links my arm into his and we stroll over to the door at the far end of the room. The guard moves aside when Noel opens the door. Now we are in a parlor, where Noel seats me on the couch. It is lusciously comfortable. Then he sits next to me. I am in a daze and know not what to do.

YAY! i'm so hyper

:blink: eh?! i thought i replied!!! GRRR :banghead: but great chapter. It's great how you have your charcter set up. and poor Elena's gonna have to marry Noel. *shudder* Han's not dead is he? ^_^ any ways great chap Anna!

Anna that was fantastic as usual I loved the new chapter and I hope you post more soon.and what_morecanisay it's easy to write fics and lots of lines when you put ur mind to it