Before the Boy Who Lived

An update! Even though I promised one for Tell Me the Truth About Love. :confused: :lol: That ones coming I swear! Its half typed. But, from now on, I solemnly swear to update in rotation. BFTBWL, Truth, and then CAW. Someone get an egg timer, I want to see how long this resolution lasts. :lol:

Chapter 15

Two minutes later, Nicole rushed down the stairs into the Gryffindor common room. From her dormitory, she swore she had heard a dull thud in the common room, but the light of the dying fire illuminated no one. A heavy book lay splayed open on the floor. Before she could pick it up to read the title, Nicole noticed the portrait door swing open, wakening the Fat Lady from her painted sleep. She ran over intending to catch the out-of-bed student, but the stairs below were as empty as the common room. They must be under an Invisibility Cloak…

"Remus!"
_________

"Go on, Remus. Nicole's calling to you," Sirius mocked, winking. Nicole's summon had echoed up to their bed chamber where all of the four boys except Peter lay on the beds, still in their day clothes.

"Go to sleep," Remus snapped, blushing.

"What?" he asked Nicole as he descended down the stairs to meet her. His hands were in his pockets, trying his best to look calm and cool, as if this midnight prefect meeting wasn't unusual.

"Why'd you let Sirius and James out? Filch'll kill them if he catches them out again!" The angry flash that bolted through her beautiful hazel eyes amused Remus. Snapping back to the moment, he realized what she had said.

"That's impossible. Sirius and James are upstairs," Remus said, innocently bewildered.

Nicole sighed in frustration. "Remus! You are a prefect! Don't cover for them! Don't let those gits control you like that!"

"I resent that!" James shouted, eavesdropping from the balcony with Sirius.

Nicole's expression dropped as she saw them. "Wait…if you're here…Who else could have just slipped out? Who else has an Invisibility Cloak?"

"Cat does now," James said bitterly. "She stole mine." He looked over to Sirius for sympathy but was startled by the funny look on his face. "What?"

Nicole reflected. "I don't remember her coming into bed, now that I think about it."

"So why'd you let Cat out?" James mocked, imitating her previous tone of indignation and frustration. "Filch'll kill her if he catches her."

"Shut up and go to bed, the three of you," Nicole snapped.

"I didn't say anything!" Remus insisted. Nicole gave him a small smile that made his heart fly.

"I'm going to wait upstairs for Cat."
_________
"What?" James asked of Sirius as they mounted the stairs, who still looked annoyed.

"You ratted her out!"

"So? She stole my Invisibility Cloak. I want it back. And I'd rather Nicole have it than Filch."

Sirius turned around and peered across the common room to the girl's dormitories. "Ok, she's back in her room." He pushed past Remus and James as he descended the stairs once again.

"Where are you going?"

"Wouldn't you rather me have your Invisibility Cloak than Nicole?"

"How in the bloody hell are you going to find Cat while she's invisible?"

"Magic."
________
Cat soon became lost after leaving the portrait hole. Everything looked so different through eyes filled with anger. The extreme darkness didn't help either. She didn't dare to light up her wand as she eventually found her way to the Entrance Hall.

"Ok…Entrance Hall…this is good." She looked around, finding that this feat of finding the Entrance Hall, while it was a good feeling to know where she was, it didn't do much to help her find her goal.

"Dungeons…to the right?" Cat was amazed that she didn't remember, since she had been down to Grendel's classroom more than a typical student had because of her detentions.

"No. You just came from the right. That leads you back to the common room." Cat jumped fantastically underneath the Invisibility Cloak, causing the hood to slip off her head. The silhouette of Sirius laughed behind her. "I thought that was you. Talking out loud gives away your position, for future reference."

Cat turned around. "I'm beginning to think you enjoy stalking me, Sirius. This is what, the third time?"

"I'm getting good at it, aren't I?" he smiled, his white teeth shining in the darkness. "Not that its hard, with you discussing your battle plan for the whole castle to hear. What are you going to the dungeons for?"

"To see Grendel." Why did I just tell him that?

"To see your professor in the middle of the night. Interesting. No wonder you get so many detentions. And have such a high grade nevertheless." Cat's hand emerged into the world of the visible as she reached out to slap him. That felt good.

"He talked about my family curse. And he's going to tell me more about it." She spoke in as short of sentences as possible, not trusting herself not to laugh as Sirius delicately touched the great red mark on his cheek.

"Family curse?"

"Didn't you notice the resemblance between Alex and our ancestor 200 years back? Isn't it odd how all of the women in my family look exactly alike?"

"That's luck, for all of your family to look like you do." Sirius's words startled himself and he looked away.

"Whatever." Cat looked in the opposite direction to avoid him seeing her smile. A faint meow echoed through the Hall to break their silence.

"Just cause your name is Cat, doesn't mean you should meow," Sirius laughed.

"That wasn't me." Mrs. Norris's eyes peered around the corner.

"Bloody hell," Sirius whispered. "Let me under that cloak." Cat squirmed out of it so that she could drape it over her and Sirius. They left the Entrance Hall just as Filch walked in.

lol, stop trying to hide from us. It's not working..especially since you keep coming back here ;)

It was a good chapter. James was funny, yelling from the balcony and giving away that he's spying.

I'd like to see a bit more detail in your descriptions, but the story is good :smiley:

:ninja:

More detail...hmm...yay! adjectives!!! i was always teh adjective-happy 2nd grader. my teacher kept telling me "three at the most" because id have this huge sentence describing one thing, but not in a "the ball was blue, big, round, smooth, bouncy,..." i mean i did it well, but nooo....2nd graders can't do that....so yeah. I've been scarred against descripitions. But I will try my best. :salute:

lol it is kinda contradictory if i come back and talk to the people who are stalking me eh? you think i'd learn...:rolleyes:

uh oh. kewii's gone ninja. :hide:

damn it. im a sucker for those. <_<

Chapter 16

"I told you the common room was to the right," Sirius hissed underneath the cloak after Ms. Norris had cast her last suspicious glance in their direction.

"Yes. Thank you. That means the dungeons are this way." Cat was slowly beginning to more readily recognize the dark halls around her. "Do you know if Grendel's quarters are next to his office?"

"No, I typically don't go looking for my professors out of class."

Cat began knocking on Professor Grendel's office door.

"Brilliant. I'm sure he heard that. As did the rest of the castle."

"Shut up. You'll get us caught again!"

"I'll get us caught? Who was out in the Entrance Hall talking to herself?"

"But who insisted on finding her?" She glanced over at him. "You're still with me. Why is that?"

"Because you've got the Invisibility Cloak. What I actually came looking for."

"Of course." Cat pounded again on the door. "I guess he's not there."

"Blimey. I learned something new today. Let's go." Sirius steered Cat away back toward the Entrance Hall.

Grendel opened his door in a daze. Seeing no trace of whoever had been knocking so forcefully on his door, he shuffled back inside. "Damn Peeves."
_________
"I never noticed how hard it is to climb stairs when you can't see you feet," Cat observed, moving very slowly up the main staircase.

"Neither did I. But now I do, Sirius said. "Thanks. I'm going to fall now."

And so he did. Cat caught a hold of his hand and supported his fallen figure with her other arm as he fulfilled his promise.

"You have cat-like reflexes," Sirius laughed.

"Funny," Cat said, helping him regain his balance as they continued up the stairs.

"Um, sorry I choked you earlier," Cat said suddenly. "Though I imagine it happens all the time."

"More than you'd think," Sirius laughed. "Sorry I followed you."

"Twice."

"Where have you two been?" James hissed, roughly snatch the Invisibility Cloak off Sirius and Cat as they entered the Gryffindor common room. "What took you so long?"

Sirius thought back to the strange destination Cat had led him to. "You don't want to know," he said, trying, and failing, to keep a straight face.

"Goodnight," Cat said as she quickly disappeared up the stairs to the girls' dormitory.

"Oh, I do want to know," James said, watching Cat as she left their view. "She seems…happy."

"For the moment, at least."

James watched him curiously out of the corner of his eye. "You're not going to tell me, are you?"

"No," Sirius grinned mischievously.
________
Nicole sat on the wooden rocking chair in the fifth-year girls' dormitory, as promised, waiting for Cat. She heard laughter downstairs, so she padded barefoot down the hallway, the soles of her feet slapping against the cold stone floor.

"Sirius! James!" she whispered harshly down at the two dark figures in the common room. "I thought I told you to go to bed!"

"You did!" James replied. "Don't worry, you're not delusional."

Nicole rolled her eyes and turned around back toward her room. She felt a light brush against her bare arm. The first years must have left the window cracked again. she thought, seeing no other explanation for the breeze. The door seemed to blow slightly open as she approached, but there was no shadow on the floor.

Where the hell is Cat? she wondered, sitting herself back down with her Divination book. She began reading the chapter on written messages through mediums and suddenly got up to walk toward Cat's bed, thinking maybe there was a note stuffed among the forever-ruffled sheets.

"Damn it…" she moaned as she pulled back the scarlet velvet curtain. Cat lay there in her pajamas, far gone into the world of her dreams.
_________
Cat woke up six hours later at 900 feeling oddly refreshed, despite the lack of sleep. Nicole wasn't as lucky.

"What's wrong?" Cat asked innocently, preventing Nicole just in time from running into the door on her way to the bathroom.

"Just tired, is all." Nicole's eyes, almost glued together with lack of sleep, were cast downward.

Cat was mildly amused at Nicole's reluctance to admit she had been waiting up for Cat, only to find her asleep in bed. She giggled to herself at the thought, though feeling slight remorse for tricking her friend like that. Pulling on a pair of black jeans and a dark red top, she made sure that Nicole had managed to go without collision to the bathroom and headed downstairs.

Cat shuffled down to the common room, filled with a warm sunlight that cast rays over the groups of chairs. Swirling dust glittering in the morning sunlight drifted endlessly in the currents of the few students wandering about the common room on this Saturday morning.

Cat spotted the four Gryffindor boys of her year clustered around a table, the invading sunlight illuminating half of their faces in a golden glow. "Cat!" James yelled. "Come look at this!"

Cat turned back, halfway out the corridor that led to the portrait door. The four boys seemed to be leaned around a large, encyclopedia-sized book.

"Check out the picture of Cyra Michelov!" James said maliciously. He, unlike Sirius, hadn't forgotten her actions toward them the previous day. "You look exactly like her."

"Fascinating," Cat said. "I didn't notice." She turned back around toward her original destination.

"No, wait, no it doesn't." His hazel eyes glinted with malevolence. "It looks like your sister. Alex. Remember her?"

Remus scooted away from James so as not to be hit in whatever blow Cat was about to bestow on his friend. But she didn't even blink. "No. No I don't."

OOoooooooooo! Amanda! OOOOoooooooooo! Amanda! OOOoooooooooo! You're killing me here! :thud:

SO GOOD! (or as my little, sort of cousin says, SO BIG! :lol: )

Oh! One thing though...

"she made sure that Nicole had managed without collision to the bathroom and headed downstairs."

makes zero sense. Did you mean "Nicole had managed to get to the bathroom and go downstairs without collision"? Or "Nicole had managed to go, without collision, to the bathroom and to the common room"? But other wise. EXCELLENT!

You win a....

:winner:

And a....

:eek:scar:

And your very own....

:dogrun: and 🐘

But watch out. The elephant poos. :mellow:

Anyways, very good Amanda! Liked the Sirius falling part :smiley:

ooh goodie. ^_^ I've always wanted a pooing elephant of my own. :woot:

"very good, Anna!" :blink: :thud: ouchies.

Err...goes to edit Nicole sentence...

Back