Before the Boy Who Lived

¡ten paciencia! ive been at band camp all week so ill work on the next chapter tonight while im supposed to be doing my chores. how wonderful ^_^

*Whoever reads this first could you send PMs? Thanks I love you guys so much I'll explain sometime Love ya! -Amanda the Invisible (lol I thought it fit)*
Chapter 17

Cat took the book from the table, slamming it shut on James's fingers. "Next time we look through a book that we have already been attacked in the process of getting, let's not call the person over," Sirius growled after he heard the gentle thud of the portrait door closing behind Cat.

"Where's she gone to?" James asked.
"Probably to give your Invisibility Cloak to the giant squid," Remus said, yawning. James's raging about her having taken it had prevented him from sleeping most of the night.

"You should probably go with him," Remus said to Sirius, his eyes following James's progress toward the portrait door.

"Cat can take care of herself," Sirius replied, his tall frame stretching over the back of the chair as he tipped it back.

"That doesn't mean that James can."

Sirius signed as he slammed the two previously airborne chair legs to the floor. "You coming?" he asked, looking between Remus and Peter, the latter not having moved since Cat's arrival at the table.

"No, I need to sleep," Remus said, standing up making his blue eyes almost match height with the paler ones of his friend. "Take advantage of the James-free silence."

"REMUS!" A distinctly Nicole yell echoed from the girls' dormitories, signaling her descent from the stairs.

"It's always something, isn't it?" Sirius laughed, hopping over one of the scarlet sofas that lined the common room.
________
James walked the halls of Hogwarts, realizing how difficult it would be to find Cat, a hard enough task when she was visible. He repeatedly walked down hallways, just to turn back a few feet later. This is hopeless. Of course the corridors only look this similar when I'm looking for something. How am I supposed to find where Cat is if I don't even know where I am? They need a map of this place.

While James was concentrating on whether he had been down a certain hallway before, Sirius walked in fron of him, bending his knees to a lower level to look straight into the eyes that were obviously not focusing. "James!" he barked.

"Bloody-" James yelled, jumping back as he suddenly realized someone was in the hallway with him, never mind eclipsing the window in front of him. "When did you get there?"

"Not long after Cat walked by. Just missed her," Sirius laughed.

"Fine," James scowled. "Oh Great Cat-Tracker, which way did she go?"

Sirius put his hands in the pockets of his black sweatpants and looked around, half expecting Cat to be hiding behind the next suit of armor, laying in wait for them to pass by her. Gazing out the window, his pale blue eyes focused on a solitary figure zooming around the Quidditch practice field. Long brown hair flowed behind her. Sirius smiled, somehow certain that it was her.

"What you smiling about?" James snapped, retrieving Sirius from the daze he had just floated into. His smile faded. He didn't want to bring James out onto the field with him. A strange thought the he couldn't fully rationalize, not wanting to be with one he considered to be his brother. But it was unavoidable.

"She's on the practice field," he said, turning from the window and Entrance Hall.
_______
Cat saw her two classmates as soon as they left the castle, but pretended obliviousness. Looking away, she spun the large bat she was holding and used it just in time to deflect what looked like a flying bowling ball. She heard James screaming her name from the ground one hundred feet below, but allowed the rushing wind to prevent her from hearing.

"The girl's bloody deaf," James said. "How-"

Sirius held up his hand to stop him. James impatiently signed and stared at Sirius. "What?"

"Cat," he called out.

Sirius's voice penetrated Cat like James hadn't, leaving it impossible to ignore. Almost unconsciously, but somehow knowing exactly what she was doing and why, Cat descended to the ground, tripping off the broomstick to stop a few feet in front of the two black-haired fifteen year olds.

"Where did you learn how to do that?" James asked, dumbfounded at Cat's flight.

"4 years in hell," she said, waving her hand as if to dismiss the question. "What do you want?"

Overlapping answers of "My Invisibility Cloak" and "to apologize" responded to Cat's question. Cat's looked softened as she looked at Sirius, the speaker of the latter answer. "In my room," she said, still looking into his crystalline blue eyes. She blinked and shook the strange feeling she had just experience off and turned to James. "I'll get it for you. Just let me put this equipment away."

"I didn't know you played Quidditch," James said, relaxing at the promise of getting his Cloak back and finding a common link in the wizarding sport. "Was there a team at Durmstrang?"

"There was." Cat caught the Bludger expertly as it came hurtling toward her. "But I wasn't on it."

"We're on the Gryffindor team." Sirius took the Bludger from Cat and fastened it into the chest of Quidditch equipment."

"I know. I've seen you practice, you're both very good. I haven't seen you chase after that Snitch for more than 5 minutes, James," Cat said, smiling at the shorter of the two boys.

"I know," James beamed. "I've got the best record in the school." Sirius rolled his eyes; James, taking notice, added, "But I'd be smeared on the ground if it were not for our star Beater." James and Sirius took the two handles of the equipment chest as Cat picked up her broomstick.

"We're missing one, you know," Sirius said.

"A Beater?"

"Yes, m'am."

"You would let a girl, nay, a once- Death Eater-in-training be on your team?"

"Sure. James, is that all right with you?"

James's relaxed manner had tensed at the mention of Cat's Dark Magic training, but after a moment long enough to be uncomfortable, James agreed. "First practice is tonight."

im trying...and thanks! :D ill get the next one up as soon as i can

anyone of my faithful readers (love u guys! missed u!): if you want to know where I've been, I feel like I owe you an explanation if you want to hear it, email me at twinwtwo@aol.com

yeah...and to top it off i just got a cold they *think* is gonna turn into either pneumonia or strep. how wonderful. but theyre *not sure* :banghead: :cuss: :madfire:

oh lovely :rolleyes:

i've always been sick. it just never ends! :angry: and of course, i'm always getting colds and stuff on top of it b/c my immune system sucks.

Back