Bend Your Arms to Look Like Wings

This is a companion piece to Feet of Clay so you might want to read that first (it’s nice and short so it won’t take long.) This is Vaughn’s POV after seeing Sydney in Hong Kong.

Disclaimer: Alias isn’t mine but if it were there wouldn’t be any question of MV leaving.

Bend Your Arms to Look Like Wings

It is man's pride that tells him he can fly

You lose yourself in dreams, in worlds of colour and joy so different to you monochrome existence. Colour you find incites memories and memories would drown you if you allowed their entrance; so to forestall the memories you remove the colour from your life. It isn’t as hard to do as you imagined it almost slips away of its accord. Brown was the first to go; all shades from chocolate to chestnut; you drain them all to a lifeless black. Black because that incites nothing in you and is a perfect reflection of the void in your life, black because it is safe, it never speaks to a love so profound that you will never recover from its loss.

Green faded from your world as quickly as it left your eyes. Emerald was evicted along with every other shade because it hurts to recollect how she would lovingly stare into your eyes and whisper plans for a little boy with his father’s green eyes. Green tiles in the bathroom as you sit on the cold floor content to be allowed to intrude on such a private moment. Green tiles in the shower recall to you hurried weekday mornings and lazy weekends where all that ever mattered was each other. A hummed Coldplay song you overheard while she prepared dinner that she shyly admitted the title of to you later.

Cream slipped away almost with you noticing. Cream, the stucco walls of her apartment, of her bedroom, her inner sanctum where she allowed your access just as she allowed you into her heart. Nights of fierce passion and tender love-making are wrapped in cream, the cream of bed linen cast to the floor in your desperation for each other. The cream of a sofa that no longer exists but that still reminds you of the nine times you were unable to make it the short distance to her bedroom before giving in to your desire. Cream has to be banned like all the others as you are forced into a life without her recollections of a life with her become unbearable.

Grey, grey that calls to mind handfuls of ash that you dispersed across an ocean. Grey the colour of the sky on the day when you said your final goodbye, when you promised to never forget. And you never have and that is the largest problem that you have because your love for her did not die with her it remained, it lingered, torturing and taunting you to the point of despair along with the photos. Grey, the colour of grainy surveillance stills that you had to sneak out of her file just to be sure that she had ever existed, just to be sure that she wasn’t something you had dreamed up.

Gold, because it was gold that finally took her away. A band of tempered fire that separates you in ways that time and distance had always failed to do. Gold has to go because it is the harshest colour, gold has to go because it is the colour that binds you to someone else, someone that you had convinced yourself into loving because the silence was slowly killing you, someone other than her. Gold however has to remain in your life clinging to you as your wife does in a vain attempt to keep you.

Eventually you hope that black will fade from your repertoire, because even black has associations with her that you cannot stand to remember. When you had been called to fetch her from Hong Kong, the night you finally lost Sydney Bristow, the night that colour ceased to exist. Her eyes always so vibrant, so full of life when she first sees you are the gorgeous mocha that you always remembered them to be. Her eyes only remain so until she catches a glimpse of your left hand and when she can finally bear to meet your eyes there is nothing there, no emotion, no life, only a barren black that looks as dead as you feel; a black that has haunted your dreams ever since.

It is man's pride that shall lead to his downfall

~The End~

The title is inspired by a song of the same name by Funeral for a Friend (v.good). I figured Vaughn didn’t exactly have it easy when Sydney miraculously rose from the ‘dead’ and since I gave her side of things this is his. Thanks for reading.

Icklebit ;)

wow ok. :thud:

this was beautiful! how do u do it? seriously? is there some secret to it? i swear we should bottle ur talent and sell it, we'd make millions!

anyhoo, this is amazingly amazing. the most amazing of anything!

love the use of colours, how each paragraph had it's own little story in a way, connecting all these snapshots and snippets of memories that involve each colour.

then the final paragraph, one to rule them all! it was just amazing, the way it just connected everything. in one para all colours were lost and its explained that its was just.....wow.

:jawdrop: sorry im without words this is just so powerful. all ur writing is just amazing and so intense yet beautiful.

sowy this is one of the worst reviews ever! if ur lucky ill come back and review again later!

anyhoo Jady T u r one of the most amazing writers around, and trust me i read A LOT of fics.

u hav this amazing way of putting everything together in this suspenseful yet logical way and ur use of quotes r perfect for every circumstance.

alos the descriptive passages r just, amazing. ur imagery adn everything is always spot on and always emotive.

all this goes for dominion too (which i haven't caught up on yet :blush: but i will i pwomise!)

keep up the awesome work! ur inspiring as a writer!

man that has to be the most serious review i've ever written! :thud: see ur writings THAT good, it makes me go all serious!

luv luv luv luv luv LUVED it! :love:

wuv Rachxxx 🦋

*falls flat on face next to Rach*

*small wave* Hi Rach! :lol:

Anyway, dude. I need to get serious too, because there is no way in the freaking land of the heebie jeebies can I possibly say something that isn't serious when reviewing for your fics...

Okay so lets get a few facts straight.

Reading Dominion, I thought you were AMAZING.

Reading Feet of Clay, I thought you were PHENOMENAL.

Reading this?

I think my head just exploded.

:notworthy:

Because okay, I was sitting here eating a donut while I was reading right (dont worry, this is completely relevant!), and see, I LOVE food. Food is god. Food is love. Food... 🤤 And here I was, donut in hand, reading this... And I forgot all about eating it! :o_O:

How is it even possible for you to capture a reader's attention like that? Because I went through reading that entire fic thinking... Um... :blink: Actually, come to think of it... It was just complete awe.

*shakes head*

God... How you wrote about the colour, and the things they stood for... DUDE. That was just... *shakes head* I can't even say what it was, because nothing's going to do that justice... It's just beyond WORDS!

:notworthy:

You are my HERO! <span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>HERO</span> I tell you, Jady!

Cai
x

ps. Serious question here, do you even REALISE how talented you are? :confused:

Back