Best Anti-Virus Software?

Azdel

Cadet
My anti-virus subscription with McAfee just expired, and I'm looking to get something better rather than renewing. Can anyone suggest some good anti-virus software?

Windows Live One Care. Try the 3 month free trial, and I can gaurentee you'll fall in love. It's like $25 too to buy at a store. That's what I use :smiley:

Avast looks amazing. I'm going to do a little research on it, and if it looks good after that, I'm going for it.

Thanks navarre! (And of course, you too frosty!)

I've always been a fan of Norton Anti-Virus & *NOT* Norton System Works, just plain ol' "Anti-Virus". I've had one small glitch in the 12 years I've been using it on computers. It's well worth the money to me, and I rarely buy software, other than games.

I will say no more than *I Friggin' hate M$!* so I'd never touch an A/V that they make... they could install a virus/spyware program and make sure that their software doesn't detect it... oh wait, they've already done that with that program....

I use AVG now, I use to use Norton but had too many problems so hubby put AVG on my machine and it works great, haven't had a virus or Trojan since we put it on my machine. I was always getting something before.

Unless someone has a reason not to, I think I'm going to go with a combo of TRVProtect and DefenseWall HIPS. If anyone has any negative info on these programs, please let me know soon, because I'll probably be downloading them in just an hour or two.

Sherri said:
I use AVG now, I use to use Norton but had too many problems so hubby put AVG on my machine and it works great, haven't had a virus or Trojan since we put it on my machine. I was always getting something before.

Other than Hubby putting it on my machine, everything else is the same :smiley:

They each do about 90% of what they're supposed to. So in the end it doesn't matter. Just if you want a better removal, actual updates with a subscription that's worth the fee, or something cheap and effective.
Since keeping up with my firewalls and updates I've not had a single issue with virus', adware, or even malicious cookies in a couple of years.

I work as a computer tech and deal with numerous brands of AV software on a daily basis. The only one that catches just about everything is Norton AntiVirus 2006.

Ones that let all kinds of nasty felgercarb through include Avast!, AVG, and PC-Cillin.

Also, using only one software program to eliminate spyware doesn't work. At work we use no less than four when doing a cleanup - Spybot, Adaware, HouseCall, and Defender. Usually though, for a mild infection, the first two in that list will do the job just fine on their own.

Riceman said:
I work as a computer tech and deal with numerous brands of AV software on a daily basis. The only one that catches just about everything is Norton AntiVirus 2006.

Ones that let all kinds of nasty felgercarb through include Avast!, AVG, and PC-Cillin.

Also, using only one software program to eliminate spyware doesn't work. At work we use no less than four when doing a cleanup - Spybot, Adaware, HouseCall, and Defender. Usually though, for a mild infection, the first two in that list will do the job just fine on their own.

THANK YOU! That is REALLY helpful!

My thanks to everyone else too!:D

"I work as a computer tech and deal with numerous brands of AV software on a daily basis. The only one that catches just about everything is Norton Anti Virus 2006."
I'm glad that Norton works so well for you Riceman :smiley:
I work for the Board of Education here and our techs had to take Norton and McAfee off all the computers throughout two county's, our computers all have XP home on them, the kids really get some bad things even with sites blocked lol

You were running McAfee and Norton at the same time?

Er....that's kinda silly. Those two programs fight like....well, like cats and dogs.

They do have control policies on all their systems, but if you have ever worked in a High School, that has never stopped kids from finding hacks to
get to sites :smiley: There are some pretty smart kids out there and I have found over the years that when you tell some kids they can't do some things, they find a way to do just that lol

Unfortunately, Norton & McAfee will not prevent people from finding ways around them... every program is guilty of being able to be worked around. It's just a matter of how hard it is to do so. For something like HS's... they need what I have at work... an IT crew that locks down the computer to the point you cannot do or see anything unless they tell you to, and if a way around something is found, and you're the culprit, you're fired... in the case of HS students... some good amount of time doing mandatory community service sounds good ;)

If kids want to learn to "hack", kids need to learn to do it on their own computers, and not on a public system, which is... illegal, student or not. What would your school system do if a teacher was caught hacking the computers?

A good IT team, a good set of windoze tools, and a Linux installation CD can solve many problems on HS computers ;)

~ Jaraeth

Back