Sci-Fi Best Isaac Asimov Books

By 'missing' do you mean ones you haven't read yet or ones that you think should be on the list but aren't? :smiley:

I would remove Nightfall and Nemesis from this list. The collaborative and expanded version of Nightfall is inferior to the original novella.

I'd also rank End of Eternity and especially The Gods Themselves higher. TGT is is a solid hard sf work and whilst some people complain about the lack of characterisation, they miss how friggin' great the book really is.

I love the original Foundation trilogy, but they are definitely not his best work. They are very pulpy, stitched-up from the serials and written towards the beginning of his career when he wasn't anywhere close to his peak (same goes for his Empire novels of which The Stars, Like Dust is one). The Robot novels The Caves of Steel and The Naked Sun are really two of his best - a near perfect blending of the science fiction and mystery/detective genres.

Have never read any of his non-fiction and I really want to read his 3-part autobiography, of which I, Asimov is supposed to be lighter, more emotive final instalment that rehashes a few details from parts one & two, which are supposedly more detailed.

Back